• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Tried Tiltbrush for the first time last night, holy shit I was grinning like an idiot the whole time. Loading up people's stuff and walking around it was awesome. Also tried House of the Rising sun, and it's probably the best space shooter I'ved tried in VR so far. Admittedly I have yet to try Elite Dangerous, haven't been motivated to setup my HOTAS and remember how to fly in that game.

Nzyme32

BBC have reported on the Google Earth VR "app" on Steam / Vive, and from what they got out of Google, it looks like they have no intention of allowing Oculus users to use it, even though it should be possible in theory

More so the BBC reporter reaches an interesting conclusion from all this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37997155

So Google Earth VR is currently limited to HTC’s Vive. The team told me that “in theory” it could run on the rival Oculus platform, owned by Facebook. But in practice, I don’t ever see that happening.

In fact, recent hardware moves suggest to me that Google must surely be on the brink of buying out HTC, and locking up the hardware maker to go head-on with Facebook.

The Taiwanese company’s stock last year was being described as “worthless”, but things are looking up. The Pixel and Pixel XL, the first smartphones described as “made by Google”, are in fact made by HTC. And the reviews will tell you they’re great devices.
And with Vive being the platform of choice for Google’s high-end VR efforts, it really seems a question of when, rather than if, a deal to acquire HTC is announced.

I bet Google can't believe its luck: a high-end hardware maker at what is likely to be a bargain price.

pj

Banned
BBC have reported on the Google Earth VR "app" on Steam / Vive, and from what they got out of Google, it looks like they have no intention of allowing Oculus users to use it, even though it should be possible in theory

More so the BBC reporter reaches an interesting conclusion from all this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37997155

Yeah, interesting conclusion..

Google likely wants to own the technology, so buying HTC isn't going to help them at all in that area. Valve is in the driver's seat of steamvr/openvr, and I doubt google would want to be held back by the whims and limited resources of a 300 man company that makes a lot of its money selling fake hats.

Also the "don't see it happening" is referring to the app being on the oculus store, which is different than supporting rift through the steam version.

Durante

It's not that easy to even write a OpenVR / SteamVR application that doesn't work on particular compatible hardware. It's designed to make hardware transparent to the developer as much as possible, not to limit choices
unlike Oculus' API :p

I can't imagine the Google Earth program not working with Rift through OpenVR.

deadfolk

It's not that easy to even write a OpenVR / SteamVR application that doesn't work on particular compatible hardware. It's designed to make hardware transparent to the developer as much as possible, not to limit choices

I suspect that there is some confusion. The wording could mean that it won't appear on the Oculus store, as opposed to not on the hardware.

Tain

He's talking about how the currently released Earth VR application does not run on anything but the Vive specifically, regardless of that quote.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Realized I haven't posted here in a long while now, and that certainly isn't because I haven't been playing in Vive-land! Curious if this is still a good place to hang out, or if many have moved on to the "High-end VR" thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196669&page=76 ?

I've fallen into the trap of not really considering my VR time "gaming" even though it has comprised something like a third of my gaming time over the last couple of months. I figure I'll start hanging out here more and undo that perception. :p

I don't know if anyone remembers how I'd been plagued by a skipping/jitter issue while playing, but I'm happy to say I've just "gotten over it." It is still there and noticeable to me depending on context but seems to have been lessened by SteamVR updates. Biggest factor to me was letting family/friends try the thing, and not a single one of them has seemed to notice it, including my nephew who has now spent more time in VR than I have. He can't get enough of Holopoint and Audioshield. My niece is supremely entertained by Job Simulator and Tiltbrush. It's pretty great stuff. I think the jitter to some extent is just par for the course for VR in its current state and completely unnoticeable to some.

I'm still staying away from paid Early Access stuff for the moment which means I've missed out on some pretty great looking titles, but I've loved Vanishing Realms and Spellfighter VR and played the shit out of the Budget Cuts Demo, Job Simulator and The Lab. I'm also trying to make Call of the Starseed last as long as it can :p Also Rec Room is completely mindblowing for a free product. I'm sure I've probably slept on some other awesome stuff that's out there...

I have also picked up a weighted vest to give some VR fitness sessions a try after falling in love with Holopoint and seeing this guy's experiments. I think I'll have to pick up Thrill of the Fight from what I hear, to round this out.

Then on the other hand on the pure gaming front I've decided to finally give Elite: Dangerous a shot. I knew the the additions of roaming planetary surfaces and deployable fighters had come in the last few months, and what put me over the edge was reading about a plugin you can use to put a screen in your cockpit to watch Netflix on. That is the kind of space simulation I can get behind. :D Got a Saitek X52 coming on Friday and I'm planning to get VoiceAttack and the Orion pack (William Shatner's A.I. performance).

So that's my update on the VR front, all told it's a damn good time to be alive.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

it also could mean its exclusive to the HTC store and not available on steam at all

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After trying everything except reinstalling Windows, I fixed it by resetting global Nvidia 3D settings. Tried that?
...no. No I haven't. I've tried like 30,000 other things besides that including multiple sets of Nvidia drivers though, which I would have thought had done the equivalent of a global setting reset but maybe not. I will have to do so tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it also could mean its exclusive to the HTC store and not available on steam at all

It says this

" You can download Google Earth VR today on the Steam Store for free. Like Tilt Brush, Earth VR is launching first on the HTC Vive. Stay tuned for more updates on Google Earth across other platforms next year."

Realized I haven't posted here in a long while now, and that certainly isn't because I haven't been playing in Vive-land! Curious if this is still a good place to hang out, or if many have moved on to the "High-end VR" thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196669&page=76 ?

Both threads continue to be active. High-end discussion is generally for cross platform titles or comparing headsets, whereas this is focused on the Vive specifically.

Dex815

Google Earth VR is incredible!

I have been out of my hometown for 5 years now and checking it out, seeing new buildings and a new perspective from the rooftops or freaking flying is an amazing experience. I had that VR smile/laugh every few seconds :)

Putosaure

Earth VR is great, especially the top view. I spent an hour and a half in it without noticing. Not sure if I'll ever go back into it, but is was neat.

SimplexPL

How about this?

iOlsf7z.png

Luckily it's just a stupid oculus-like headset check. CrossVR to the rescue!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

Still, every Oculus owner who is not outraged about the fact that Vive is not supported natively in the Oculus Store just got the taste of his own medicine.

Dex815

How about this?

iOlsf7z.png

Luckily it's just a stupid oculus-like headset check. CrossVR to the rescue!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

Still, every Oculus owner who is not outraged about the fact that Vive is not supported natively in the Oculus Store just got the taste of his own medicine.

BBC mentioned a rumor that Google specifically doesn't want to support the Oculus Rift (because of Microsoft I guess). And a crazier rumor: Google interested to buy HTC (which kind of makes sense for smartphones and VR).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Google Earth VR is amazing. I wish detail would load in faster but allowing person size view and zooming all the way in at base of the CN Tower looking up and laughing ..yep that feels right.. so amazing
The comfort fov zoom seems to work just fine to allow artificial locomotion zooming around.
Turned it off but found the flying a bit queezy and just turned it back on

SimplexPL

BBC mentioned a rumor that Google specifically doesn't want to support the Oculus Rift (because of Microsoft I guess).

Why Microsoft? I'd sooner assume it's because of Facebook.

Google blocking Rift is as shitty as Oculus blocking Vive. Valve should not allow for this - it's their store, so they should intervene in my opinion.

Crispy75

It's 1am and I've been sat on my lounge floor for an hour looking at dolls house versions of the worlds greatest cities. fucking spectacular.

Google blocking Rift is as shitty as Oculus blocking Vive. Valve should not allow for this - it's their store, so they should intervene in my opinion.

As much as I think this is stupid, I don't think it's Valve job to say definitively that devs CAN'T do this.

What if, in the future, there actually was some kind of weird bug caused by a certain headset, and a developer didn't want his/her game to get a bad reputation as a result?

SimplexPL

That's exactly the argument that Oculus is using to justify blocking Vive on Oculus Store.

Also - this app is not such case, corner cases you mention could be treated differently on a case-by-case basis.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why Microsoft? I'd sooner assume it's because of Facebook.

I don't think Google is blocking Oculus. They have specifically said that it is coming to other platforms next year.

Zalusithix

Rift lockout aside, it's definitely one hell of an experience - particularly when set so it allows human scale. Looking down from the Tokyo Tower at 1:1 scale, for instance, definitely triggered the "oh shit I could fall" reaction. The application did give me a slight headache though. I think all the dynamic world scaling it does was screwing with my head. I wish you could just lock it at a given scale.

I mean these two captures are from essentially the same place. In the first one I'm "landed" on the flat part at the edge of the second pic (where I'm floating). In the first the remainder of the spire when I look up is huge. In the second, it's like a bar I could grab.

Paganmoon

I thought I'd definitely would get vertigo while standing and zooming in and out of the global view with Google Earth VR, but they've actually done a great job of limiting FoV during those instances. It really feels like they've put great effort into it, and not just done hatchet jobb.

Durante

How about this?
Well, with OpenVR, the only way to implement something like that is explicitly checking the hardware ID. That's very silly but also incredibly simple to circumvent, just report a different hardware ID.

That's exactly the argument that Oculus is using to justify blocking Vive on Oculus Store.
This is completely and utterly different. The Oculus API is designed to block competitors, and it's prohibited by its license to use it to target different headsets. Conversely, with OpenVR/SteamVR the default state is running on everything, and an application developer needs to write specific code in order to prevent that.

If you can't see how this is fundamentally different then I don't know what to tell you. It's like saying Vulkan and Mantle are the same because you could query the manufacturer in Vulkan and refuse to launch on any but AMD.

Does anyone else suffer from tilted floors?

For some reason I've never been able to get the VR walls to be perpendicular to the real floor.

Even after I redo the whole setup I end up with some tilt of a couple degrees.

The tilt is not very noticeable in games, however it is obvious when I open the system menu, as it is perpendicular to the VR floor.

NMFried

Question.

After hours of trying to remedy the 208 error on my new VIVE, I discovered it was because the headset's included HDMI cable was busted. What are my options for a replacement?

GlamFM

Banned
Playing around with the VIVE after not using it for a while.

Does the chaperone switcher app not work anymore for supersampling?

kinggroin

Banned
What is the best shooter for vive at the moment? I have Raw data and i don't really like how it handles, everything seems to happen a bit later than they should, and at this point Zombie survival simulator has had the best feeling pistols i have tried. Onward is pretty good too but since it's online only at the moment it kinda limits when i can play it.

Lethal VR
Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

Are the best two I feel.

E-flux

Lethal VR
Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

Are the best two I feel.

I bought Horseshoes and hand grenades, shooting feels so good in that shame that there isn't anything else than target practice in different locales at the moment plus that weird horror mode.

kinggroin

Banned
I bought Horseshoes and hand grenades, shooting feels so good in that shame that there isn't anything else than target practice in different locales at the moment plus that weird horror mode.

Agreed. There's an insanely realistic system in place that, for traditional gaming, would be better served elsewhere.

Still, the shooting range alone thanks to that very system, can be quite cathartic.

E-flux

EVE: Valkyrie launches on Steam and HTC Vive if someone is interested in this. Has also some launch exclusive things.

I'm kinda tempted, i loved EVE and i would love see them succeed with one of their spinoff games, 60€ is kinda much though but i might still dip in depending on the impressions and the player base.

Agreed. There's an insanely realistic system in place that, for traditional gaming, would be better served elsewhere.

Still, the shooting range alone thanks to that very system, can be quite cathartic.

Yeah, thankfully even simple stuff can have a lot of appeal in vr, that game is also pretty good in showing the tracking of vive for newcomers.

E-flux

I guess they figured they'd have to give Vive owners some incentive to buy after being the last ones invited. =P Also, hot damn to the DLC options. Those prices are something I'm more used to seeing in free to play games.

The game might go free to play at some point because when asked if the game would go f2p this was their answer.
"No one knows what the best experience for customers will be in VR, and we hope to learn that and adjust to it along with our community."

It could probably be the best route though.

I guess they figured they'd have to give Vive owners some incentive to buy after being the last ones invited. =P Also, hot damn to the DLC options. Those prices are something I'm more used to seeing in free to play games.

For that price they would have to fly to my house and give me a blowjob. I'm not normally one to shit on high prices in VR, but they knocked this out of the park. Price on Steam is higher than I have ever paid for any game ever. And from everything I've read there is in no way content to justify it.

EVE: Valkyrie launches on Steam and HTC Vive if someone is interested in this. Has also some launch exclusive things.

Yeah, from my understanding of the amount of content, $60 is a bit too steep for me. I might have dropped that around April, but I have a lot of other games to play right now including space dog fighters. To be fair, it's the same price on the Oculus store so they're not just pricing it that way because it's new to Vive owners. Still, I'll wait for a sale (or an unexpected windfall of money).

cakefoo

For that price they would have to fly to my house and give me a blowjob. I'm not normally one to shit on high prices in VR, but they knocked this out of the park. Price on Steam is higher than I have ever paid for any game ever. And from everything I've read there is in no way content to justify it.
I think you meant to say they swung and missed.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you buy EVE: Valkyrie with all its 6 DLCs, the price jumps to more than 3 times the price of the core game. LOL

E-flux

By the way, House of the dying sun is a really cool spaceship shooter, the game is a bit too fast paced to recommend playing with Hotas but the game feels a bit like Tie fighter. VR is a godsend for spacesims and other cockpit games, it's just the best way to play them.
hotds2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom