• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Anyone else try the new beta branch of QuiVR? It's really different. Totally new map and switch up of mechanics. Instead of an endless wave, the map has multiple gates. You basically have to push back the enemy until you can physically move up and take back the next gate which then has to be held after you take it. Basically pushing the enemy back with increasingly harder enemies as you progress. They've started implementing some of the enemies that shoot back at you. Has the new character/bow/quiver models in it too. Right now the shooting feels off (like you don't have as much power behind your shots) and I'm not a fan of the map design or teleportation node placement (maybe it's just the combo of the two), but it's VERY early. Like earlier and more unpolished than the default branch, but you can get a glimpse of what they're shooting for in the final version.
Sounds really interesting. I just recently played QuiVR again (the standard branch), and the core mechanics feel really good now.

Samaritan

Just placed an order for a separate 3-in-1 cable upon seeing people on the Vive subreddit getting the new kind. Should be here this Tuesday; fingers crossed it's the new kind!

Just placed an order for a separate 3-in-1 cable upon seeing people on the Vive subreddit getting the new kind. Should be here this Tuesday; fingers crossed it's the new kind!

I was reading that too. I might take that gamble since I'm in the US. Looks like you can return it within 30 days anyway.

Dragon Skies VR is doing a Kickstarter right now that is more a way to pay what you want for it. Basically you can get the game for a $1 though they're obviously encouraging people to pay what you think it's worth.

The game itself looks pretty cool and pretty fleshed out. The main combat mechanic is flying around on the back of a fully steerable dragon while shooting with a pistol at airships and towers, but it also has a whole voice acted story with NPCs and a town to go back to, and a crafting system to make different ammo types for your pistol. Also the soundtrack is going to be all original piano music inspired by Nobuo Uematsu. The latest Devlog is a good one to watch to get a good idea of everything.

What's the advantage of the new kind?

The new cable has USB, HDMI, and power going through a single cable instead of three glued together. The main benefit is it doesn't get twisted up as easily.

cRoFWrH.jpg

Paganmoon

Has there been any new news about Fallout 4 VR? Feels like it sort of dropped of the radar. Maybe Bethesda noticed it'd be too hard to get the engine running satisfactory for stable performance?

Durante

Has there been any new news about Fallout 4 VR? Feels like it sort of dropped of the radar. Maybe Bethesda noticed it'd be too hard to get the engine running satisfactory for stable performance?
It was supposed to be a 2017H1 thing from the start, so I wouldn't worry yet.

New job, barely any time at home so its gathering dust. Also by selling it, it helps justify a new TV :)

Will be back with vive 2 or wherever comes next

That's very true! Tbh it's crossed my mind, got a 1 month old baby, and a 2 year old, I've literally only got a certain amount of time, and changing the kitchen around to accommodate the Vive just isn't happening, I bought a new TV and spend my time using that with PC/Pro/Xbox etc.

SimplexPL

Speaking of TVs reminded me about something - maybe this is a stupid question, but is VR compatible with HDR? From what I understand, HDR makes picture more lifelike and realistic, more similar to how our sight perceives colors, contrast and brightness - so I should benefit VR, right?

Y'know... I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I don't know of any other technology product where people spend this much time talking about the upcoming generation BEFORE there is any actual word about a launch in the near future. We know essentially nothing about Vive Gen 2, whenever and if ever it actually launches at all.

I mean, I get it—I watched that video clip just now about HDR, and it sounds really freaking cool. But a part of me wonders what this says about the state of VR right now. Heck, we know more or less when the Nintendo Switch is coming out, but it doesn't come up in every discussion about the 3DS.

SimplexPL

You are absolutely right, but human beings love to pointlessly speculate :)

I'm also rolling my eyes whenever I see questions like "so, guys, when do you think Vive 2.0 will come out? Should I buy now, or wait?"

Samaritan

Y'know... I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I don't know of any other technology product where people spend this much time talking about the upcoming generation BEFORE there is any actual word about a launch in the near future. We know essentially nothing about Vive Gen 2, whenever and if ever it actually launches at all.

I mean, I get it—I just watched that video clip just now about HDR as well, and it sounds really freaking cool. But a part of me wonders what this says about the state of VR. Heck, we know more or less when the Nintendo Switch is coming out, but it doesn't come up in every discussion about the 3DS.

It's just the nature of early-adopters, especially with a technology that is constantly seeing new innovation left and right. I think people love talking about a Gen2 headset so much because the specifics of what it might have to offer could vary drastically! Foveated rendering, HDR, a wider FOV, wireless, et al. The number of things the future of VR might bring seems nearly endless right now. It's exciting. :)

SimplexPL

I think it's telling that the preorders for modification that makes vive wireless were sold out in 18 minutes, and that preorder was only available on the Chinese website of HTC, and also we have no way of knowing if it's actually any good since there are not tests (and at $220 it's not exactly cheap). And yet early adopters gobbled it up.

kinggroin

Banned
We are stupid excited for what's next thanks to the promise of what we have now. That's not telling anything negative about VR's current state. In fact, the opposite, since we are frothing for more.

Edit: I you like Namco's Point Blank, get Lethal VR. It's incredibly polished, visually allows for tons of supersampling with great performance, and has a shitload of game modes.

Dragon Skies VR is doing a Kickstarter right now that is more a way to pay what you want for it. Basically you can get the game for a $1 though they're obviously encouraging people to pay what you think it's worth.

The game itself looks pretty cool and pretty fleshed out. The main combat mechanic is flying around on the back of a fully steerable dragon while shooting with a pistol at airships and towers, but it also has a whole voice acted story with NPCs and a town to go back to, and a crafting system to make different ammo types for your pistol. Also the soundtrack is going to be all original piano music inspired by Nobuo Uematsu. The latest Devlog is a good one to watch to get a good idea of everything.

It's a really cool concept, and it looks like mechanically it works rather well, but holy hell does it look like a game made in Unity in a day. It needs some hella polish, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Onemic

I hear Arizona Sunshine only has teleportation for locomotion and isnt really open, but closer to a wave shooter in design. If that's true, my hype for the game has gone down the drain.

Tain

They are rather different, and Medium is much more appealing to me (and most of the people that I've had try it out).

It's really, really good from my time with it. Not released yet, unfortunately.

For some reason I thought Medium had both drawing and sculpting.

Does it have a set release date? Google doesn't turn up anything clear. It's the next VR release that I'm waiting for, and I'd thought it was launching with Touch.

Ferrio

Banned
Just got done setting mine up. I'll have to just have small standing for now until I move in a few weeks. So are the must have apps (especially cheap/free ones, but I'm open to all)? I got tilt brush but that's it so far.

edit: What's that one shooting range game I see people playing?

For some reason I thought Medium had both drawing and sculpting.

Does it have a set release date? Google doesn't turn up anything clear. It's the next VR release that I'm waiting for, and I'd thought it was launching with Touch.

Medium is sculpting digital clay (and its awesome), and Quill, coming from Oculus Story Studio, is the drawing app (also tremendously awesome).

video demonstration of Quill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rLAfvxn6g

Medium is sculpting digital clay (and its awesome), and Quill, coming from Oculus Story Studio, is the drawing app (also tremendously awesome).

video demonstration of Quill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rLAfvxn6g

Thanks, Quill is what I was thinking of!

I love Tilt Brush but everything made in it has this... Tilt Brush look to it, even when it has been made by a super talented artist. Quill looks like it has much more potential in that regard, and I'm really looking forward to using it.

Do either of these tools have release dates?

Edit: Booo, so Oculus has no plans to release Quill to the public. :(
Why does Oculus suck?

games i'm excited to try: Onward (anyone playing this?), Dead Secret

games I really enjoy: Rec Room, Vanishing Realms, Cosmic Trip, BLARP!

Onward is probably the most popular Vive game at the moment. Theres always someone playing and the lobbies fill up fast.

Zalusithix

edit: What's that one shooting range game I see people playing?

I think you're going to have to be more specific. Shooting with what? Guns? Bows? Then there's the question of shooting at what?

I mean, given that you say "range", I'm tempted to assume you mean H3VR (Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades). If you mean it in a more generic sense though, it could be any number of other games. The shooting gallery genre is quite saturated on the Vive.

Unfortunately when the TPCast preorders went up last week they were only shipping to China, so most of us will have to wait.

Definitely not ~2ms of latency in real-world conditions, though.

Zalusithix

Definitely not ~2ms of latency in real-world conditions, though.
The latency could be possible, but the real question will be reliability. Assuming this thing is using millimeter waves, it'll be highly susceptible to interference by physical objects. That includes your own body (which is why it sits on top of your head). It'll be of questionable use if looking down / bending over / making gestures over your head causes it to flake out.

Ferrio

Banned
Just went through The Lab stuff, purchase is justified that's for sure. My only VR experience beforehand has been GearVR and the DK1. The addition of room scale, positional tracking, and the motion controllers is so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom