• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

$60? Is this some sort of practical joke by CCP?

£49.99 in the UK - even though the £ is slumping, very few games are pushing higher prices when most UK PC users are only willing to spend so much. Anything higher than £39 is an immediate no from me. Rather put my money into other things at that price

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
EVE: Valkyrie for Vive is roughly the same price as the Oculus Rift and PSVR version

Zalusithix

EVE: Valkyrie for Vive is roughly the same price as the Oculus Rift and PSVR version

It's not so much that Vive owners are getting ripped off relative to the other platforms as the price is out of line with virtually every other VR experience/game out there. There's a lot of options out there for the Vive.

Bookoo

If you buy EVE: Valkyrie with all its 6 DLCs, the price jumps to more than 3 times the price of the core game. LOL

They are selling DLC for that game?

EDIT: It's just for in game currency. $60 dollars is still a little steep for that game even though they do seem to continue to update it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll be dipping my toes into Elite: Dangerous for the first time tomorrow and I expect to be pretty overwhelmed. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to ease into it? :p

E-flux

I'll be dipping my toes into Elite: Dangerous for the first time tomorrow and I expect to be pretty overwhelmed. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to ease into it? :p

Play all of the tutorial missions, they are narrated and offer a bit of help before starting.
Also learn the difference between Low and high wake. The galaxy map doesn't work properly in vr, you can search on it or use bookmarks but if you try to plot a course without knowing where to go you really can't navigate the vr map. I can't at least.

Also remember the stars that you can fuel scoop from, helps a lot learn the main sequence star mnemonics i personally use KGB FOAM easy to remember that way.

SimplexPL

This is completely and utterly different. The Oculus API is designed to block competitors, and it's prohibited by its license to use it to target different headsets. Conversely, with OpenVR/SteamVR the default state is running on everything, and an application developer needs to write specific code in order to prevent that.

If you can't see how this is fundamentally different then I don't know what to tell you. It's like saying Vulkan and Mantle are the same because you could query the manufacturer in Vulkan and refuse to launch on any but AMD.

I agree with everything you wrote. But I was responding to this:
"What if, in the future, there actually was some kind of weird bug caused by a certain headset, and a developer didn't want his/her game to get a bad reputation as a result? "

So, my response was: "That's exactly the argument that Oculus is using to justify blocking Vive on Oculus Store."

I was refering to the argument "we block it because unknown headset may provide inferior experience, so it's for your own safety" - I remember this kind of argument being used by the defenders of Oculus Store hardware lock-in (which I am obviously against, as a proud Vive owner).

SimplexPL

I'm glad we are in agreement :)

Also, I previously asked in this thread if reflective material called "Lacobel" will mess up my tracking, because I was having a huge wall closet installed with Lacobel fronts (and a huge mirror). As far as I was able to determine, Lacobel does not mess the tracking, at least not to the point I would notice. But a big mirror will definitely mess up tracking, so I have to cover it.

pj

Banned
Ah, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, I agree that you can warn the user about unsupported hardware, but should never block them.

Yeah if nvidia releases a bad driver should origin block nvidia owners from launching bf1 to protect their reputation? A warning that says "it's their fault, not ours" would be good enough.

Google Earth VR is incredible! I've already spent 2 hours in it and I'm sure I could spend more.

A little disappointed my college town isn't modeled, especially since I worked on the project to model it a few years back. Maybe Google is still updating it? It's weird since random podunk towns outside of it are modeled, but the university and surrounding town are not.

NMFried

Question.

After hours of trying to remedy the 208 error on my new VIVE, I discovered it was because the headset's included HDMI cable was busted. What are my options for a replacement?

Finally got the headset working with a different HDMI cable. Replacement is on its way.

Yeah, I agree that you can warn the user about unsupported hardware, but should never block them.

I actually agree as well, I just don't think it should be mandated by Steam.

Also, I think that it's ultimately a minor difference as long as there's a simple workaround. Kind of like how a couple of websites will refuse to work if I'm not using Google Chrome, but I can always fake my user agent.

Crispy75

Google Earth VR is incredible! I've already spent 2 hours in it and I'm sure I could spend more.

A little disappointed my college town isn't modeled, especially since I worked on the project to model it a few years back. Maybe Google is still updating it? It's weird since random podunk towns outside of it are modeled, but the university and surrounding town are not.

They ditched all the handmade 3d models for photogrametry quite a while ago. That stuff might still be accessible in the desktop app but it's not in the main branch of Earth any more.

derFeef

I might get addicted to Google Earth VR.

Okay comfort mode is really... uhm.. do not disable it. Ugh. lol
It blurs the edges of the screen when you move/fly.

They ditched all the handmade 3d models for photogrametry quite a while ago. That stuff might still be accessible in the desktop app but it's not in the main branch of Earth any more.

Aw, that's a bummer. All that work for nothing :(

Granted, I think the new photogrammetry models look much better and cover everything instead of only major landmarks. Hopefully they're hard at work updating locations.

dsk1210

It's awesome, the 3d modeling is really good I smacked the wall a few times trying to get close to the tiny cars lol.

The small towns tend to not be 3d modelled but it's a fantastic piece of software.

Durante

Ah that might be it. Do I need to restart Steam/VR or can I just relaunch the app/game?
Good question, I haven't tried changing it since the update which split the values so I'm not sure.
I'd guess that they only read in the config file on VR startup though.

It's awesome, the 3d modeling is really good I smacked the wall a few times trying to get close to the tiny cars lol.

The small towns tend to not be 3d modelled but it's a fantastic piece of software.

It's the opposite though! Not even including the student population, the town has 30k people living there (I suppose I should be calling it a city, but eh). But some random towns a few miles away with like 500 people living there are fully modeled. It's just strange.

The university has been riding the VR wave for the past few years so I'm sure someone there is aware.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades is one of the coolest video game experiences I've ever had. I had the stupidest grin on my face while playing it. It's the simple things like being able to realistically reloading a revolver, or reloading a double barrel shotgun like the terminator that makes it so brilliant.

Then there's just the goofy aspect like spawning a knife, putting a scope and a tiny american flag on it.

Zalusithix

Wow Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades is one of the coolest video game experiences I've ever had. I had the stupidest grin on my face while playing it. It's the simple things like being able to realistically reloading a revolver, or reloading a double barrel shotgun like the terminator that makes it so brilliant.

Then there's just the goofy aspect like spawning a knife, putting a scope and a tiny american flag on it.

You can do trick shots and reloads in the game as well. Since everything is physics driven with a generous amount of play in the interactions, you can technically toss bullets/shells up and then snap them into the gun mid-air. Fun for goofing around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Play all of the tutorial missions, they are narrated and offer a bit of help before starting.
Also learn the difference between Low and high wake. The galaxy map doesn't work properly in vr, you can search on it or use bookmarks but if you try to plot a course without knowing where to go you really can't navigate the vr map. I can't at least.

Also remember the stars that you can fuel scoop from, helps a lot learn the main sequence star mnemonics i personally use KGB FOAM easy to remember that way.
Wake, like the wake in the back of a spaceship?

So is this because I'm in the beta branch? (Or just late to the party lol) When I turned my Vive on and looked at my monitor it was actually displaying what I was seeing in the SteamVR OS, kind of neat they finally put that in.

Zalusithix

Still impressed no matter how many times I see that video.

So is this because I'm in the beta branch? (Or just late to the party lol) When I turned my Vive on and looked at my monitor it was actually displaying what I was seeing in the SteamVR OS, kind of neat they finally put that in.

Been there since day one, though I'm pretty sure it had to be manually brought up from the options.

Akim

Banned
Can someone help me here? I want my arrow to go across the room like this ->. It won't change in the "edit" options. The way it is now it is way too narrow. I can't figure this out :(

If I try and edit it by flipping it in the advance options it just automatically points back the original way.

Here is how it is now:

dWjnWRc.png

I want it to be like this:

Still impressed no matter how many times I see that video.

Been there since day one, though I'm pretty sure it had to be manually brought up from the options.

ohhhhhhh ok lol, weird never saw the option, guess I accidentally hit it at some point.

Just did a session with the Google Earth stuff, super amazing. If you download it make sure to enable human scale, really just makes some of the areas way better.

Can someone help me here? I want my arrow to go across the room like this ->. It won't change in the "edit" options. The way it is now it is way too narrow. I can't figure this out :(

You can't. At least, not with the normal, official room setup tool. In rectangular play areas, SteamVR always wants you to face toward a "longer" boundary.

ChaperoneTweak will let you turn it. Not sure if it's a good idea though. I don't actually understand why SteamVR wants you facing a longer boarder, but I suspect some software is designed with it in mind.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You can't. At least, not with the normal, official room setup tool. In rectangular play areas, SteamVR always wants you to face toward a "longer" boundary.

ChaperoneTweak will let you turn it. Not sure if it's a good idea though. I don't actually understand why SteamVR wants you facing a longer boarder, but I suspect some software is designed with it in mind.

Even if you point to the monitor on the shorter boundary (monitor is the opposite of the facing side) in the room setup tutorial?

SimplexPL

It's totally random, for example in Poland some small towns are in 3d, but one of the most famous and second biggest city in Poland, it's main tourist attraction is not - I mean Kraków.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraków

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, it seems to be pretty random. Sidney is not in 3d, the piramids in Egypt are not in 3d. Saint Petersburg and Moscow also not.

SimplexPL

I never had any serious problems with Vive until now.
I previously had base stations on tripods on shelves. I finally installed them on walls on the included mounting-thingies. It worked at first, but then something weird happened. When I start SteamVR it tells me base stations are not detected - they are connected to power and the light on them is green - but they are do not "spin up", name of the channel is not detected. I power cycled them, I also power cycled my PC but it did not help (i also used "wake up all base stations").
Steam troubleshooting page was not helpful either. I did forget to power-cycle the breakout box, but other than that, what can I do? (I checked beta and non beta steamvr branch).

E-flux

Wake, like the wake in the back of a spaceship?

Kinda, Low wake happens when a ship goes to FTL without leaving the system it is in and High wake is when it jumps out of the system. With proper equipment you can scan these wakes and get some materials out of them and see exactly where they jumped if you want to follow. Mass disrupts your FTL drives and slows them down so remember that if you are escaping or being chased.

If I try and edit it by flipping it in the advance options it just automatically points back the original way.

Here is how it is now:

I want it to be like this:
You need to edit (you can see the button on your screenshot) the play area (green box with arrow) and then shrink down so it all fits inside the chaperone boundary and the you can rotate it to face any direction you want. Your "play area" will look smaller but the chaperone boundary will be the same, so even though it looks smaller it's not.

kinggroin

Banned
I never had any serious problems with Vive until now.
I previously had base stations on tripods on shelves. I finally installed them on walls on the included mounting-thingies. It worked at first, but then something weird happened. When I start SteamVR it tells me base stations are not detected - they are connected to power and the light on them is green - but they are do not "spin up", name of the channel is not detected. I power cycled them, I also power cycled my PC but it did not help (i also used "wake up all base stations").
Steam troubleshooting page was not helpful either. I did forget to power-cycle the breakout box, but other than that, what can I do? (I checked beta and non beta steamvr branch).

In SteamVR settings turn blue tooth wake off. Turn camera off. Go to developer section and select options to remove all USB drivers. Unplug Vive from PC. Reboot. Plug it back in after starting Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom