• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

They are analogue and yes in Tilt Brush you can make smaller strokes by pressing lightly. :D
Well, I knew that - but the oculus controls do different gestures depending on if you're touching the buttons. I know that'll work for the touchpad, but what about triggers and grip buttons? I think you gotta do more than just touch the triggers to activate them and the grip buttons are certainly not touch sensitive like the Touch grips

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Holy crap. Probably an optimistic measurement, but it could be twice that number and still be fine.

I wasn't expecting wireless to get solved for another decade.

Best not get too hyped yet. There might be a catch somewhere. Wait until actual reviews are out to see how it perform in real world.

ArtHands

Just got done setting mine up. I'll have to just have small standing for now until I move in a few weeks. So are the must have apps (especially cheap/free ones, but I'm open to all)? I got tilt brush but that's it so far.

edit: What's that one shooting range game I see people playing?

Theres a target practice title call "Lethal VR". Might be what you are looking for.

I am spending lots of time in Raw Data (intense) and Audioshield (nice rhythm workout title).

Onward seems to be very popular among Vive owners.

Cowbots and Aliens is another new title that's getting phrases.

Durante

The latency could be possible, but the real question will be reliability. Assuming this thing is using millimeter waves, it'll be highly susceptible to interference by physical objects. That includes your own body (which is why it sits on top of your head). It'll be of questionable use if looking down / bending over / making gestures over your head causes it to flake out.
Yeah, I want to see some independent measurements first. I guess it won't be too long now.

2 ms in the absence of wild fluctuations or extreme failure states would be fantastic.

Akim

Banned
Do you guys think my current PC is OK for Vive, or should I hold off? It looks like I meet the minimum specs, but how would the experience be? I want to upgrade, but won't be able to for a few months.

GPU: Radeon R9 290
CPU: Intel i5-4690k

Do you guys think my current PC is OK for Vive, or should I hold off? It looks like I meet the minimum specs, but how would the experience be? I want to upgrade, but won't be able to for a few months.

You could probably run everything maybe not at the highest setting but enough to get by. Heck I was on a i5 3350 970 and everything ran great.

E-flux

What is the best shooter for vive at the moment? I have Raw data and i don't really like how it handles, everything seems to happen a bit later than they should, and at this point Zombie survival simulator has had the best feeling pistols i have tried. Onward is pretty good too but since it's online only at the moment it kinda limits when i can play it.

Onemic

You have enough for the minimum requirements

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, I knew that - but the oculus controls do different gestures depending on if you're touching the buttons. I know that'll work for the touchpad, but what about triggers and grip buttons? I think you gotta do more than just touch the triggers to activate them and the grip buttons are certainly not touch sensitive like the Touch grips

It's just the triggers iirc for drawing in Tilt Brush. I don't think the grip buttons are used and the trackpad is for selecting colors/brushes.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just checked out the Martian.

It looks fantastic.

However, it is 10 minutes long with zero replayability.

Do not buy this for $20.

ArtHands

It looks fantastic.

Do not buy this for $20.

I think it was pretty obvious when the devs said this is going to last 20 to 30 mins.

jaypah

I'm loving Lethal VR but fffffuck those throwing knives. I can throw them just enough to get by but I never feel consistent with them.

Zalusithix

I'm loving Lethal VR but fffffuck those throwing knives. I can throw them just enough to get by but I never feel consistent with them.

Throwing stuff in VR has never felt natural to me in the least. Any game that requires accurate throwing is a pain. I'm not sure how much of it is due to the controller not being suited for a natural throwing action, and how much of it is due the physics/tracking not being capable of dealing with all the subtle movements a throw has.

Onemic

Can someone with shipping experience help me out? I need to ship my busted lighthouse to HTC but Im unsure of how to package it. Do postoffices offer packaging for the items you want to ship or do you have to do it yourself? I dont want it to get damaged during shipping or else I have to pay for additional repairs so I would rather have someone else experienced with packaging to do it.

jahepi

Hi Gaf!

Its been a few weeks since i got my Vive, and well i can’t describe how awesome it is, i bought raw data, deep blu and chair in the room, i also got some free games such as accounting and the lab (recommendations from Gaf), and all of them have exceded my expectations. I`ve been playing till 5 am on weekends haha (i haven’t done that since i was a kid when i first got my NES) so it´s been more than great so far.

The only problem is that when you start the lenses get kind of foggy till the temperature stabilizes and when i play for about 2 hours in a row, it gets kinda sweaty, yesterday when i took the headset off after some hours of playing i could see at the sides of it some small drops, i think this is caused by the heat inside, is anyone having this problem?, im worried it could damage the device.

Samaritan

Absolutely mind-boggling that it (apparently) took less than a year for a wireless solution to present itself. I was firmly in the camp that it would be at least 5-6 years before we saw something feasible. Really, really want that 2ms figure to be accurate.

SimplexPL

It looks fantastic.

Do not buy this for $20.

Correction - buy it, spend 10 minutes in it, refund it. If enough people does that, maybe next time developers will think twice before releasing a 10 minute experience for $20.

Samaritan

Wanted to provide a follow-up on my 3-in-1 cable gambit. I took a chance ordering one from HTC last week hoping it would be the new kind, and what do you know?! It was!

iPOGVPw.jpg

I'm in the States, in Idaho to be more exact. My last exchange with HTC about a month ago informed me that whether or not you get the new cable depends on which warehouse yours ships from. But like I said, that was a month ago, so that might've changed.

Considering they've got a pretty lax return policy, I don't see any reason not to try your luck and see if you can get the improved cable if that's something you're interested in doing.

Ferrio

Banned
Any tips on getting a good fit? When I first put the thing on I must of got the best fit, ever since then I really notice the rings and everything is really blurry outside of the very small strip in the middle. I just don't think I'm finding that sweet spot.

Any tips on getting a good fit? When I first put the thing on I must of got the best fit, ever since then I really notice the rings and everything is really blurry outside of the very small strip in the middle. I just don't think I'm finding that sweet spot.

Hold to face right where you want it to be with the straps in the air, then bring straps down around your head.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It looks fantastic.

Do not buy this for $20.

I was just reading the Steam impressions. I'll wait for a discount. Too bad. Who ever thought this price would be a good idea? Especially since it seems that what is there is pretty well done. Why fuck up all the good work for what?

Throwing stuff in VR has never felt natural to me in the least. Any game that requires accurate throwing is a pain. I'm not sure how much of it is due to the controller not being suited for a natural throwing action, and how much of it is due the physics/tracking not being capable of dealing with all the subtle movements a throw has.

Same. I have a really hard time throwing anything accurately in VR and I don't know if it''s me, the controller, or the game physics. There is one game I've played called Rescuties that feels pretty decent (though still not perfect), so I'm going to put most of the blame on devs here. I'll put the rest on the controller and it's one of the reasons I'm really hyped for the possibilities of that grip prototype.

jaypah

Same. I have a really hard time throwing anything accurately in VR and I don't know if it''s me, the controller, or the game physics. There is one game I've played called Rescuties that feels pretty decent (though still not perfect), so I'm going to put most of the blame on devs here. I'll put the rest on the controller and it's one of the reasons I'm really hyped for the possibilities of that grip prototype.

I dont know if the physics are too fudged or not fudged enough in most games. I thought they were all fucked until I remembered that throwing stuff in Budget Cuts felt pretty decent. Same thing with Job Simulator, to a lesser extent. But most other games feel Wii levels of frustrating. And the worst part is that every time I think I have it nailed in Lethal VR my technique just stops working and I have to adjust again to hit the targets. Very frustrating.

A lot of it boils down to some devs being a little...lazy (I know we hate that phrase) with making sure thrown objects react like they would in real life. Throwing is indeed a pretty complex mechanical motion, utilizing a lot of moving body parts, but I don't need an allstar pitcher arm to throw a dart or a can 8 feet.

I dont know if the physics are too fudged or not fudged enough in most games. I thought they were all fucked until I remembered that throwing stuff in Budget Cuts felt pretty decent. Same thing with Job Simulator, to a lesser extent. But most other games feel Wii levels of frustrating. And the worst part is that every time I think I have it nailed in Lethal VR my technique just stops working and I have to adjust again to hit the targets. Very frustrating.

I'm leaning towards the latter. Too many games have the same feel that feels off and I think it's down to not tweaking whatever the default physics are doing (or at least not much). You're right though.Budget Cuts feels relatively decent.

Yooo. If you haven't tried it yet, get the recent version of Revive and try First Contact. Really cool 80s/90s nostalgia trip in a lot of ways. Some of the cleanest IQ in a VR game I've seen so far. Touch emulation works pretty well even though it's obviously a bit more unnatural than the real deal probably feels.

Throwing feels really accurate in Cowbots and Aliens

Rg5RL0.gif

If I wasn't ultra broke right now, I'd probably pick this up.

cakefoo

Cowbots and Aliens' MP population has been virtually non-existent every time I've checked after the launch day.

Fortunately the devs are attempting to address this. They're going to make SP content (most likely minigames inside the starting hub), and they're going to schedule times to meetup- the first one will be tomorrow at 3:30PM Pacific, 11:30pm GMT. I'll try to make it. They'll give out a steam key for their other game, VR Hoops, to the winner of one of the matches, but just having someone to play with is motivation enough for me haha.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/517670/announcements/detail/743486380271786917

I really wish so many devs would stop trying to make VR multiplayer focused games. The audiences just aren't there yet to sustain them outside of a select few regardless of how good they are. It's sad to see so much work go ignored.

pj

Banned
I've been kicking around an idea for an in-VR LFG app.

When you fire up steamvr, you press the system button and go to the LFG tab, pick several MP games you'd be willing to play and then play single player VR games for a while. When one of the games you're interested in gets enough people who are also interested, it shows a popup in whatever game you're playing that says your group is ready and you should launch the MP game.

After everyone is in the game it would be on them to set up the match, maybe with the app designating one of the group as the host. It could also theoretically automatically launch the MP game after a countdown or w/e.

I think it could help a lot of these near-zero player count games. I've done some proof of concept stuff with the overlays and getting info from steam so I think it's pretty doable, I would just need to get on my ass and do it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really wish so many devs would stop trying to make VR multiplayer focused games. The audiences just aren't there yet to sustain them outside of a select few regardless of how good they are. It's sad to see so much work go ignored.

They do it because it's easy. You don't have to worry about AI, scripting, story, intricate level design.

You just slap together some code and rudimentary levels then push it out the door in 1/8th the time it takes to make a non-multiplayer game.

When you fire up steamvr, you press the system button and go to the LFG tab, pick several MP games you'd be willing to play and then play single player VR games for a while. When one of the games you're interested in gets enough people who are also interested, it shows a popup in whatever game you're playing that says your group is ready and you should launch the MP game.

After everyone is in the game it would be on them to set up the match, maybe with the app designating one of the group as the host. It could also theoretically automatically launch the MP game after a countdown or w/e.

I think it could help a lot of these near-zero player count games. I've done some proof of concept stuff with the overlays and getting info from steam so I think it's pretty doable, I would just need to get on my ass and do it.

If it's going to get any use, this probably needs to directly be a Steam feature, which may require back-end work they're not prepared to do right now, unfortunately. It's a nice idea, though.

deadfolk

It looks fantastic.

Do not buy this for $20.

It boggles the mind that this isn't just free. It's basically marketing for the film.

Yooo. If you haven't tried it yet, get the recent version of Revive and try First Contact.

Where is this? Couldn't find it on either the Oculus Store or Steam. Is it free?

pj

Banned
If it's going to get any use, this probably needs to directly be a Steam feature, which may require back-end work they're not prepared to do right now, unfortunately. It's a nice idea, though.

It could be as integrated into steam as Revive is. Basically you'd just have to install it once and then use it as if it was part of steamvr.

I agree that it should be built into steamvr but I don't think it would be very much work at all. I am a programmer with no experience with QT creator or steam programming but I've looked into it enough that I am confident I could have the basic functionality working in a month. If someone from valve wanted to, they could probably do it from the ground up in a few days.

I don't think the pool of users would have to be that big in order for it to work and I think developers of MP VR games would encourage people to use it. I think it could definitely be popular enough that valve takes notice and implements something similar.

They do it because it's easy. You don't have to worry about AI, scripting, story, intricate level design.

You just slap together some code and rudimentary levels then push it out the door in 1/8th the time it takes to make a non-multiplayer game.

Yeah, that's what I assume is the case. Basically a way to get around programming AI. It just sucks because the fault isn't really on the games/devs themselves (other than ignoring market conditions). Most of them are pretty solid and fun.

That would be super helpful! I'd definitely use something like this.

Where is this? Couldn't find it on either the Oculus Store or Steam. Is it free?

As long a your version of Oculus Home is up to 1.10, and you have the newest version of Revive, it should just show up in the Revive tab.

Tagyhag

Oh my God Gorn looks amazing for a prototype.

I wonder if it's made by the same person who made Super Wolfenstein HD because of the floating heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom