• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Google Earth VR is absolutely mind blowing. I just spent 2 hours in there.

A few amazing things to do:

Turn on "human mode". You can now put yourself standing on the edge of a skyscraper in midtown Manhattan.

Climb a mountain in human mode. The lack of modeled trees is much less of an issue when you are above the timber line. I climbed Mount Hood and the views were amazing, as was the climb itself.

Go to Whistler and "ski" down the slopes in human mode.

Walk around the streets of Rome in human mode. The textures and geometry near you is bad, but things further away look great.

Put yourself on top of taller buildings everywhere using human mode. "Fly" onto the roof, and the program will attach you to it so you can walk on it. It also changes the camera focus to one that works much better to emulate normal vision. When you leave the roof, the focus turns to something like a macro lens.

E-flux

Has there been any impressions of Arizona sunshine? It seems like it could be pretty good.

Ah, one more thing for the list above:
- The most immersive "full large-scale game" is The Solus Project.

I couldn't get past the controls in solus project, or rather it bugged multiple times on me in the tutorial where it wanted to create a torch, no matter how many torches i did the game didn't recognize it. And those controls have been the only controls that have made me feel unwell. The game doesn't recognize you ducking in the tutorial so i had to switch to teleportation mode to get past that and then there is that big button which turns you around and jerks your camera to one position. After an hour of restarting the game and trying to get past the create a torch part i just gave up and refunded the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
google earth VR is fun, and I went around finding the old places I used to live etc. But I wish there were better options for scaling than just 'point at the ground and zoom in/out'. I'd like a street view button at least, that puts me on the surface where I'm pointing, at human scale.

"google earth VR is fun, and I went around finding the old places I used to live etc. But I wish there were better options for scaling than just 'point at the ground and zoom in/out'. I'd like a street view button at least, that puts me on the surface where I'm pointing, at human scale."

You can.

Press the menu button (the top one, I guess that's system? I forget the vive controller button names), point at the top right for settings, turn on option for allow human something-or-another. When you click on the left trackpad bring you into street view and you can zoom in all the way to human scale.

cakefoo

Cool looking prototype game
U0ppDxz.gif

Comments - https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5dxump/lofi_hobby_project_week_9_download_available_in/
Download - https://notdead.itch.io/weekend
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnfZj6oync

Durante

I couldn't get past the controls in solus project, or rather it bugged multiple times on me in the tutorial where it wanted to create a torch, no matter how many torches i did the game didn't recognize it. And those controls have been the only controls that have made me feel unwell. The game doesn't recognize you ducking in the tutorial so i had to switch to teleportation mode to get past that and then there is that big button which turns you around and jerks your camera to one position. After an hour of restarting the game and trying to get past the create a torch part i just gave up and refunded the game.
That's too bad :(
Yeah, as I said above, the controls are probably the biggest initial humps. That said, I never had them bugging out on me. When did you try the game?

klaus

Can you guys recommend a good notebook for the Vive? I'm looking for something powerful (but no SLI, ideally GTX1070 or 1080 GPU (guess you only get the mobile version of those)), price is not so important. Any recommendations?

btrboyev

Can you guys recommend a good notebook for the Vive? I'm looking for something powerful (but no SLI, ideally GTX1070 or 1080 GPU (guess you only get the mobile version of those)), price is not so important. Any recommendations?

I personally would not recommend a notebook for VR.

klaus

I personally would not recommend a notebook for VR.

Agreed, but it is for professional use and the client prefers to have "mobile" systems (they will use it for training purposes and at exhibitions). Basically we will not run games on it but our own software (built with Unity), so I have a lot of control over the performance / graphics settings. Of course I would like to have as much power available as possible, but the form factor has an even higher priority than the performance of the system..

klaus

I found this roundup

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10939-laptops-nvidia-1070-1080/

Razer Blade Pro if money is no object
Thanks for the link! Hopefully, the Razer Blade Pro will be available for purchasing in Switzerland soon (importing is not an option since we need local support in case of warranty issues). Right now, I can only find the Pro with a 1060 (at Digitec)..

Edit: Hope it's ok that I post this stuff on the gaming side, I promise to also make some cool VR games asap ;)

Durante

Has anyone tried SVRVIVE yet?

I thought from the name that it was some kind of survival game and dismissed it, but now I found out that it's apparently actually an adventure/mystery thing. That intrigues me despite the cringe-worthy name.

Tain

By tech demo standards, this is really fun. Basically Onward's sensible artificial locomotion in a single player sci-fi game with non-hitscan fire that you can dodge. Clean visuals, too. Hope this gets really built on, and I hope we see a lot of single-player FPSes on this foundation.

SimplexPL

Are the lighthouse power adapters some kind of standard? Would it be possible to get one that's white?

Magic happens when you google "vive power adapter":
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51h1rn/power_adapter_answers/

Base Station adapter

The adapter for a base station (also called a lighthouse) is a 12V AC adapter.
It outputs a max of 2.5A (also called 2500mA).
It uses a 5.5mm x 2.1mm female plug.
It uses an "inner positive" polarity plug.

derFeef

I thought from the name that it was some kind of survival game and dismissed it, but now I found out that it's apparently actually an adventure/mystery thing. That intrigues me despite the cringe-worthy name.

That looks neat, would love some impressions.

I know I'm a crazy outlier hier because I chose to not upgrade. Only Win10? Where is the support for 7?

----
Sidequestion: How long does the Vive controllers last/hold their charge?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are the lighthouse power adapters some kind of standard? Would it be possible to get one that's white?

Not sure about the plugs, but I seem to remember the cables being the same as many cctv 12v cables so you should be able to find white ones to use as extensions for the wall part and then hide the black cable

Durante

Well, it's absolutely and easily "worth it" for me, but obviously that is always a very subjective judgement.

Any rumors when a new version of the Vive with higher resolution might come out?
There is a rumor that HTC will announce something at CES, but nothing concrete about resolution (it could also just be a minor refresh, perhaps with a price reduction due to e.g. cheaper lighthouses and sensors).

Not sure about the plugs, but I seem to remember the cables being the same as many cctv 12v cables so you should be able to find white ones to use as extensions for the wall part and then hide the black cable

This room actually has power outlets on the (white) ceiling, so I would need the whole thing to be white.

Edit:

Oh, thanks, not sure why I didn't see that before.

Vesper73

Google Earth VR is absolutely mind blowing. I just spent 2 hours in there..

I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of agree with you on this. I spent around 10 hours traveling the world this weekend. This is, to me, is the app that most realizes the potential of Virtual Reality.

I can't wait for networking to be added. The possibilities are endless. Personally, I'd love to meetup with you folks for an impromptu rave on top of a skyscraper somewhere. No too far off now.

MaDKaT

E-flux

This prototype probably had my favorite locomotion type out of them all, or rather combined. The free walking plus that thing where you point somewhere and your dude runs there, you can run past corridors with this and easily just focus at your aiming and then if you need the control back just hit the grip button and you continue to your own desired location.

Tain

This prototype probably had my favorite locomotion type out of them all, or rather combined. The free walking plus that thing where you point somewhere and your dude runs there, you can run past corridors with this and easily just focus at your aiming and then if you need the control back just hit the grip button and you continue to your own desired location.

Yeah, I'm a fan of that. I wish that you could change directions that way without losing speed, though. If you've activated auto-run with the menu button, maybe make grip simply change direction?

E-flux

Yeah, I'm a fan of that. I wish that you could change directions that way without losing speed, though: if you're in auto-run, maybe make grip simply change direction?

Huh, i didn't notice a change in speed when i switched back to manual run, i need to give it a shot again. But still, i find it way harder than necessary control movement with that trackpad on the vive controller, in most of the games i keep losing momentum every now and then and even straight lines are sometimes hard to walk and i keep swaying from side to side.

Why can't I move the mouse cursor on my monitor when a VR game is running? It's stuck to the middle of the screen until I quit the VR game? That's not normal, right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
2K has announced the release of the for the Sony PlayStation VR, HTC Vive and Samsung Gear VR. The VR hoops game will be available on all three platforms starting November 22nd and will retail for $14.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xP04kOiRRs

It's not clear if it supports motion controls, but I guess it does and that's why it's not out also on Rift. I'm curious how well throwing the ball will feel using the motion controllers, I guess this would be even better with the new Vive controllers.

"Why can't I move the mouse cursor on my monitor when a VR game is running? It's stuck to the middle of the screen until I quit the VR game? That's not normal, right?"

A lot of VR games use the headset to emulate the mouse, overriding any input from your actual mouse. Alt-tabbing overcomes this, as the games shouldn't override the mouse when they're not the active window.

Ferrio

Banned
So what's the general consesus of best car game? I tried a Project Cars: Pagani Edition but it looked really bad especially from the cockpit view.

"So what's the general consesus of best car game? I tried a Project Cars: Pagani Edition but it looked really bad especially from the cockpit view."

Project Cars also runs pretty shoddily. Seems like with the latest Revive version Dirt Rally runs pretty spectacularly on high settings and is quite the experience. I watched a friend play iRacing and it looked like it runs well, but it's expensive and really only for competitive racers.

Haven't heard much about Assetto Corsa in VR, but it seems like it runs well and it's well liked as a racing game.

Ferrio

Banned
Seems like limited options, that's disappointing. Any suggestions for sitting/standing games? I move in 2 weeks, but until then I have limited space so a lot of games I wanna play are a little lackluster do to me smacking into things.

Seems like limited options, that's disappointing. Any suggestions for sitting/standing games? I move in 2 weeks, but until then I have limited space so a lot of games I wanna play are a little lackluster do to me smacking into things.

I still think Oculus has the better lineup of non-roomscale games. All super polished. I would download Oculus Home and ReVive and get The Climb and Lucky's Tale, the latter of which is free.

Oh, and if you have IRL friends, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a great seated game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom