• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Anyone experiencing less nausea after using the Vive for a while now? I still have problems with walking games, or let's say Google Earth with comfort mode disabled. I just get sick sooo fast and I do want to acclimate faster, but also not puke, lol. That Doom 3 mod is something I wanna try but I am actually more afraid of getting sick than the demons...

So what's the general consesus of best car game? I tried a Project Cars: Pagani Edition but it looked really bad especially from the cockpit view.

While not on Steam, I find Live for Speed has the best VR implementation for a racing game. The only one with proper 3d mirrors. It should also run on anything.

Content-wise it's pretty light though, especially for the price tiers. It's more for competitive racing/enthusiasts. At least there's a free version if you want to try it out.

Samaritan

I want to dip my toe into supersampling, but I also don't want to have to worry too-too much about fiddling with settings to get a game at a playable framerate. So what is the current best method of adjusting render scale, as well as determining how hard you can push some of these games? It's not like I can just turn on an in-headset framerate counter... right?

For reference, here are my specs:

CPU: i5 6600K @ 4.3GHz
GPU: 980Ti G1 +108MHz GPU Clock/+300MHz Memory Clock
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz
Storage: 850 EVO SSD
Monitor: Acer XB240H 1080p @ 144Hz

Trojan

I want to dip my toe into supersampling, but I also don't want to have to worry too-too much about fiddling with settings to get a game at a playable framerate. So what is the current best method of adjusting render scale, as well as determining how hard you can push some of these games? It's not like I can just turn on an in-headset framerate counter... right?

For reference, here are my specs:

Download this for basic supersampling, I use it and it's easy and reliable:

Vive Chaperone Switcher

It's a program to switch the chaperone bounds easily and he built in supersampling capability.

I used to have almost your same setup. I kept mine at 1.5 render target. I would start there and see if you can keep a decent frame rate in your games. Bump it down to 1.4 or 1.3 as a compromise if you want better performance. Supersampling on the Vive is totally worth it.

Samaritan

Download this for basic supersampling, I use it and it's easy and reliable:

Vive Chaperone Switcher

It's a program to switch the chaperone bounds easily and he built in supersampling capability.

I used to have almost your same setup. I kept mine at 1.5 render target. I would start there and see if you can keep a decent frame rate in your games. Bump it down to 1.4 or 1.3 as a compromise if you want better performance. Supersampling on the Vive is totally worth it.

How can I figure out my framerate other than simply going off of feel? Does the Vive Chaperone Switcher offer any FPS indicator?

Durante

So what is the current best method of adjusting render scale, as well as determining how hard you can push some of these games?
One way is to set a supersampling setting, get in-game, and then look at the frame timing chart:
atVwbz5.png

I'd try to keep application+compositor GPU frametime below 9ms, so that you have some room for more demanding scenes. Maybe less than that if a game has a very uneven load profile.

Samaritan

One way is to set a supersampling setting, get in-game, and then look at the frame timing chart:

I'd try to keep application+compositor GPU frametime below 9ms, so that you have some room for more demanding scenes. Maybe less than that if a game has a very uneven load profile.

Very helpful, thanks Durante!

And I appreciate the help Trojan, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :)

MaDKaT

After trying that weekend prototype I decided to give Doom 3 a go and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Game movement is a bit twitchy and I hope future updates can work on sensitivity and speed. However I found direct movement to be only mildy uncomfortable for a short bit and ended up playing for about an hour. Game is a lot of fun in VR. My only issue is I find I lean into the movement and due to the perceived momentum I sometimes will almost fall over when I stop. Fiance find it pretty hilarious when she is watching me play.

So what's the general consesus of best car game? I tried a Project Cars: Pagani Edition but it looked really bad especially from the cockpit view.

Of all the games I have tried, Dirt Rally is easily the best experience so far. Assetto Corsa is also pretty good once you get things dialed in but the game was(may still be) pretty cumbersome to set up in VR. I didnt enjoy Project Cars when I first tried it a while back. Even with a 1080 it looked very rough in VR was hard to race in. I really should give it a go again but Dirt Rally is so much fun.

derFeef

After trying that weekend prototype I decided to give Doom 3 a go and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Game movement is a bit twitchy and I hope future updates can work on sensitivity and speed. However I found direct movement to be only mildy uncomfortable for a short bit and ended up playing for about an hour. Game is a lot of fun in VR. My only issue is I find I lean into the movement and due to the perceived momentum I sometimes will almost fall over when I stop. Fiance find it pretty hilarious when she is watching me play.

Hopefully they find some time to implement a teleport function, or a "move 3 steps ahead" movement option.

Of all the games I have tried, Dirt Rally is easily the best experience so far. Assetto Corsa is also pretty good once you get things dialed in but the game was(may still be) pretty cumbersome to set up in VR. I didnt enjoy Project Cars when I first tried it a while back. Even with a 1080 it looked very rough in VR was hard to race in. I really should give it a go again but Dirt Rally is so much fun.

I agree, Dirt Rally is amazing in VR. Throwing your car sideways into a corner at high speed is nerve racking and very awesome if you get it right.

Onemic

Wait, Doom 3 has a VR mode now? Since when?

Accounting was funny and a great VR experience, but shorter than I expected (I'd forgotten it was free). I definitely look forward to any other experiences in this universe.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

This is great. Wish there was a general way to do this for non-VR games on the fly. (so far I've only found ones that let you analyze logs after playing)

More info: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/Frame_Timing

Durante

Accounting was funny and a great VR experience, but shorter than I expected (I'd forgotten it was free). I definitely look forward to any other experiences in this universe.
Not in the same universe, but I assume that Rick and Morty VR will be somewhat similar in style overall.

Zalusithix

I totally missed the fact that there was/is a Kickstarter for The FOO Show. I was wondering what happened to that project as the first preview was kind of neat, but there was nothing after. $20 nets the first season which will apparently be 5 episodes, so $4 an ep. Like everything in VR, more expensive than you'd expect from more traditional media, but it'll likely get cheaper in the future.

Interestingly IP is listed as a risk:
We haven't booked every slot for the first season yet. Some publishers and developers are understandably anxious about giving us access to their intellectual property so we can integrate it in FOO. It's possible, but unlikely, that we'll run out of people who have made interesting games and are willing to give us access to their IP before we complete the first season.

I'll be backing it. The concept is too interesting to let it die without giving it a chance.

Ferrio

Banned
Tried the first level of Lucky's Tale last night. Extremely charming and beautiful game. Though I'm surprised that it actually gave me a bit of dizziness, when something like House of the Rising sun didn't affect me.

Tried out the Brookhaven experiment. Even though I had seen the game on the react channel, I still had a whoa moment when I found myself in that first Corridor for the first time. I also nearly went down to the ground when that one zombie busts through the wooden planks. I caught him out of the corner of Mayeye and was like oh crap!! It's not the most polished experience, but that initial experience (my first experience with a darker setting) got my heart racing (and this was without the benefit of the headphones since I was listening for someone coming over in the real world.

derFeef

I totally missed the fact that there was/is a Kickstarter for The FOO Show. I was wondering what happened to that project as the first preview was kind of neat, but there was nothing after. $20 nets the first season which will apparently be 5 episodes, so $4 an ep. Like everything in VR, more expensive than you'd expect from more traditional media, but it'll likely get cheaper in the future.

Interestingly IP is listed as a risk:

I'll be backing it. The concept is too interesting to let it die without giving it a chance.

Yeah I really like the concept. I heard him talk about it on the GB podcast and despite publishers giving crazy money for VR games, he had a hard time selling the concept and in the end not getting financial support.

How do most of you get the picture on a monitor that is seen by the headset wearer?

You all have an HDMI splitter? (latency?)

I assume most of you don't use the mirroring function as that draws resources? (from what I've read)

Or is there a simple way of telling the GPU to output the signal on two different outputs and somehow make the other signal that is not going to the headset but to the TV a regular 30-60 Hz signal?

Edit: Reading up on that it seems there is mostly an automatic gamescreen window on the desktop, didn't see one in the Apollo 11 Experience though, haven't tried much else atm.

E-flux

Anyone experiencing less nausea after using the Vive for a while now? I still have problems with walking games, or let's say Google Earth with comfort mode disabled. I just get sick sooo fast and I do want to acclimate faster, but also not puke, lol. That Doom 3 mod is something I wanna try but I am actually more afraid of getting sick than the demons...

My knees used to get a bit wobbly and bad framerate made me feel like the back of my skull was going to explode, but now i can easily identify the low fps that causes headache and i can run and jump all i want in games without getting any side effects.

Installed Vivecraft last night, that was pretty cool after changing up the controls.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Google Earth VR is cool, but it will be far better once I have my fiber connexion. With 12mb/s it takes way too long to display cities.

Business

How do most of you get the picture on a monitor that is seen by the headset wearer?

You all have an HDMI splitter? (latency?)

I assume most of you don't use the mirroring function as that draws resources? (from what I've read)

Or is there a simple way of telling the GPU to output the signal on two different outputs and somehow make the other signal that is not going to the headset but to the TV a regular 30-60 Hz signal?

Edit: Reading up on that it seems there is mostly an automatic gamescreen window on the desktop, didn't see one in the Apollo 11 Experience though, haven't tried much else atm.

HDMI for the headset and DP for the monitor has to be the most common option. Once I had to demo it on a TV instead and had to use a dirt cheap DVI to HDMI adapter. I assume everyone uses the mirroring function.

kinggroin

Banned
Tried the first level of Lucky's Tale last night. Extremely charming and beautiful game. Though I'm surprised that it actually gave me a bit of dizziness, when something like House of the Rising sun didn't affect me.

You have a stationary cockpit in House, where as in Lucky's Tales, the entire screen moves.

Zalusithix

Google Earth VR is cool, but it will be far better once I have my fiber connexion. With 12mb/s it takes way too long to display cities.

I don't know how long it's taking you, but don't expect it to ever be instant to full detail. My connection peaks at around 240Mb/s and I'm still standing around waiting for higher LOD models to stream in. It's either limited by Google's servers or the application itself throttles the loading.

Onemic

I don't know how long it's taking you, but don't expect it to ever be instant to full detail. My connection peaks at around 240Mb/s and I'm still standing around waiting for higher LOD models to stream in. It's either limited by Google's servers or the application itself throttles the loading.

RIP my 7mbps connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom