• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Are they guessing normals somehow?
They are approximating the normals from the depth information. (The simplest/highest performance way is to use ddx/ddy, actually this is so fast that it was done in some early SSAO approaches instead of storing the normals)

The newer Doom mod released yesterday with inverse kinematics is def more wonky but a lot more immersive imo, the IK helps with that quite a bit, though looking down and seeing that bulky space suit collar is a wee bit distracting. Seems like scale of enemies is larger too, almost had a panic attack when the Pinky demon came charging at me o_O

Very immersive, really one of the cooler things I've played on Vive.

How stable is Steam VR for everyone? I just had a crash I believe, black screen in Vive headset (but desktop was still running as normal and a pop up window said maybe GPU overheated? ), heard the Giant Bomb crew talking about having to shut down and restart Steam VR sometimes after playing a few games in a row?

Samaritan

How stable is Steam VR for everyone? I just had a crash I believe, black screen in Vive headset (but desktop was still running as normal and a pop up window said maybe GPU overheated? ), heard the Giant Bomb crew talking about having to shut down and restart Steam VR sometimes after playing a few games in a row?

I hadn't used my Vive much for the past couple of months until a little more than a week ago and I had a couple of experiences where I had to restart SteamVR manually, but both of those instances seemed to be the fault of the game I was playing and less SteamVR itself. Still, it doesn't seem as stable as it should be.

Makai

Trying to render to my Vive using Vulkan. Let me make sure I understand everything at a high level:

Render perspective from each eye given head position and rotation. Apply warping function to each eye.

....and that's it?

Visiting certain places in Google Earth VR has me emotionally exhausted. Even without accurate photogrammetry and everything congealed into a blobby mass, it is an uncanny feeling of presence, as if I'm in a dream.

Durante

The only time I've ever had SteamVR itself crash was with a specific unstable build of Raw Data.

Your particular issue does sound exactly like the GPU overheating, followed by a driver reset.

How well does Sublevel Zero work in VR?

I've only played it on Rift, not Vive, but assume it'll be similar there - I love it in VR. Definitely play around with your control bindings and such, but the game is fantastic in VR if you are the type that doesn't get motion sick easily. If you do, there are comfort options, but I doubt barrel rolling in a 6DOF shooter will ever get comfortable to players who are sensitive. *Also* the map is super slick in VR - makes understanding where I am in this kind of game easier than ever.

TLDR: If you aren't motion-sensitive and love Descent, definitely, definitely play Sublevel Zero in VR!

edit: make sure you're on the beta that is called something like "latest features"

dorn.

I finally bit the bullet and received my Vive on Tuesday and it's everything I expected it to be and more. My girlfriend, who's the more fiscally responsible of us two, usually isn't a fan of me spending all my money on tech stuff but she says it's the best thing I ever bought and that's despite our bedroom being a mess of cables right now.

Visiting certain places in Google Earth VR has me emotionally exhausted. Even without accurate photogrammetry and everything congealed into a blobby mass, it is an uncanny feeling of presence, as if I'm in a dream.

"I was moved to tears by Google Earth" is something I'd thought I'd never say and yet it's true. That app is the real deal and it's so goddamn smooth I can't wait to see what Google does next. It's definitely going to be my go-to demo for older relatives.

The only time I've ever had SteamVR itself crash was with a specific unstable build of Raw Data.

Your particular issue does sound exactly like the GPU overheating, followed by a driver reset.

That does not sound good then, I put my 980ti through a lot of trouble by playing all sorts of game maxed out in 4k res (GTAV etc), it soldiered through them and my R4 case was very warm on top after playing for hours.

Here everything seemed normal, can VR put a different kind of strain on the GPU due to the high refresh rate?

I was not planning on shopping for a new GPU just yet :/

Edit: Maybe I need to update the driver.... have not done that in ages.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I know this is another zombie shooter, but Arizona Sunshine looks really good imo.
Kinda open world with exploration and survival. Graphics are not too bad either.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/342180/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw5YzBqk01I

Beta Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWtU4TAE1S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIEFsEPh44

Arizona Sunshine has been in production for a long time, i am thinking this might be end up as one of the best vr titles in recent time

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is an new upcoming Korean action title call "Overturn". It was shown in Korea GSTAR game event recently and it is made by 1 guy (guy in red in the last picture).

You play as a female protagonist who can dual wield swords and guns to attack killer robots, and you have to make your way out of the maze-like environment or something...there will be puzzles and exploration

Coming to Vive next year

aJn38nYh.jpg

VPKdsmJh.jpg

W0h91rQh.jpg

4dV4a2kh.jpg

deadfolk

How well does Sublevel Zero work in VR?

Only played for a few minutes, but if you have the stomach for it, it's amazing.

But you WILL need the stomach for it.

Everyone interested at the Doom 3 mod - Doom 3 BFG is very low currently at GamesPlanet (3,30€)

https://de.gamesplanet.com/game/doom-3-bfg-edition-steam-key--1039-1

Not much in the sale for me, except Dirt Rally. VR games tend to not get much discounts... :/

Awesome - thanks! Grabbed it at that price just to try the mod.

Onemic

I've only played it on Rift, not Vive, but assume it'll be similar there - I love it in VR. Definitely play around with your control bindings and such, but the game is fantastic in VR if you are the type that doesn't get motion sick easily. If you do, there are comfort options, but I doubt barrel rolling in a 6DOF shooter will ever get comfortable to players who are sensitive. *Also* the map is super slick in VR - makes understanding where I am in this kind of game easier than ever.

TLDR: If you aren't motion-sensitive and love Descent, definitely, definitely play Sublevel Zero in VR!

edit: make sure you're on the beta that is called something like "latest features"

Only played for a few minutes, but if you have the stomach for it, it's amazing.

But you WILL need the stomach for it.

I definitely have the stomach for it considering Ive been able to play VorpX games without throwing up :p

I'll try it out today.

Durante

There is an new upcoming Korean action title call "Overturn". It was shown in Korea GSTAR game event recently and it is made by 1 guy (guy in red in the last picture).

You play as a female protagonist who can dual wield swords and guns to attack killer robots, and you have to make your way out of the maze-like environment or something...there will be puzzles and exploration

Coming to Vive next year

aJn38nYh.jpg

VPKdsmJh.jpg

W0h91rQh.jpg

4dV4a2kh.jpg
I found a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qESGQY8Dj0Q

Interesting post-teleport effect.

Onemic

I know this is another zombie shooter, but Arizona Sunshine looks really good imo.
Kinda open world with exploration and survival. Graphics are not too bad either.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/342180/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw5YzBqk01I

Beta Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWtU4TAE1S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIEFsEPh44

Ugh, it's teleportation only.

Luckily since the game seems very slow paced, it's not that much of a deal breaker.

Durante

Why would teleportation be a deal-breaker for a fast-paced game?

I could see more of an argument for artificial locomotion being a deal-breaker when fast-paced actually (due to motion sickness, or even people falling over with enough rapid acceleration/deceleration).

Onemic

Why would teleportation be a deal-breaker for a fast-paced game?

I could see more of an argument for artificial locomotion being a deal-breaker when fast-paced actually (due to motion sickness, or even people falling over with enough rapid acceleration/deceleration).

Being able to teleport in a game that's not slow-paced just seems like cheating to me. It breaks any type of excitement since if you're in a bad spot you can always teleport away, whereas with artificial locomotion or even arm swinging, that excitement is always maintained.

I mean, just think of if you could teleport freely in a game like call of duty or any other game where you wont be mostly standing in place or moving very slowly through the environment. It would break the game. VR is no different to me. It's a big part of the reason why many of the mini games in Rec Room like paintball just arent fun.

Onward would be pretty terrible if it was teleportation only and it's definitely faster paced than this game. I rarely hear people talking about how sick it makes them.

I'm not against teleportation being in games. I'm just against it being the only option.

Durante

Hmm, I think that can be a problem, but it should be quite solvable using game design adapted to it. E.g. in Raw Data (always one of my favorite examples of VR action gaming ;)) protecting yourself is a very secondary goal. The major issue is protecting a core / multiple cores, and you can't really "cheat" on protecting those by teleporting.

And I do think that teleporting allows the kind of rapid traversal/movement that would otherwise make a whole lot of people sick in VR, look e.g. at phase 1 (just the 40 seconds from 1:10 to 1:50) here.

Onemic

Hmm, I think that can be a problem, but it should be quite solvable using game design adapted to it. E.g. in Raw Data (always one of my favorite examples of VR action gaming ;)) protecting yourself is a very secondary goal. The major issue is protecting a core / multiple cores, and you can't really "cheat" on protecting those by teleporting.

And I do think that teleporting allows the kind of rapid traversal/movement that would otherwise make a whole lot of people sick in VR, look e.g. at phase 1 (just the 40 seconds from 1:10 to 1:50) here.

If we're using that as an example, then yes, It probably would, myself included. That's why you have to be sensible when doing artificial locomotion so you don't move like you're in a speeding car. If everything was the same, but it used the same locomotion and speed of movement as Onward(which does also allow you to sprint) I think that the same feel and excitement can be maintained.

I do agree that it is solvable by building your gameplay around the idea of teleportation. That's why Raw Data works as a teleportation only game. Not every game has to or should be like that though because it automatically limits the type of gameplay you can create.

derFeef

The Foo Show has been updated with a "thanksgiving" beta branch and a small new episode, will check out later!

We hope all of our American backers are having a lovely Thanksgiving! If your day is like ours, you're going to spend a lot of it demoing VR to your friends and family members. To help, we've made a special Thanksgiving mini-episode of The FOO Show, where we explain some best practices for VR viewing. You can grab it by adding the "thanksgiving" beta branch to The FOO Show in Steam.
If you don't know how to do that, right-click on The FOO Show in Steam and select Properties. Then Select the beta tab and choose "thanksgiving!” from the beta branch popdown.
Disclaimer: This is in the beta channel for a reason, because it also incorporates our updated user interface. There are a handful of bugs that we know about (the screen doesn't always advance, nav isn't in the Firewatch episode, there's an occasional crash), but we wanted to give you all a taste of what we've been working on.

Scapegoat

I put the VR game I've been working on up on Greenlight today. I'm excited! It's an arcade-structured action game named Horizon Vanguard.

YVLejdr.gif

I'm aiming on having a demo out soon.
Dude, that looks insane! Huge Lylat Wars/Starfox 64 vibes, I'm digging it. If you need any help testing just give me a shout!

Just tried out Google Earth VR, it's amazing. Landing on top of skyscrapers in big cities and watching the scenery in human scale is so awesome. I hope they add some more options for navigation and controlling your movement.

Crispy75

Just tried out Google Earth VR, it's amazing. Landing on top of skyscrapers in big cities and watching the scenery in human scale is so awesome. I hope they add some more options for navigation and controlling your movement.
"valve standard" teleportation at human scale would be great

Am I missing something? Thought I tried everything to get down to human scale, but it seemed nothing worked. Figured you couldn't. Teach me how plz!

Am I missing something? Thought I tried everything to get down to human scale, but it seemed nothing worked. Figured you couldn't. Teach me how plz!

It scales down/up when you get near geometry. Point at the ground and press zoom in or fly into the ground/roof of a building etc. You have to enable it first in the options though.

Buzzbrad

Any VR games you guys recommend that I pick up during the steam sale? Was considering Subnautica, but would love to hear other recommendations.

Any VR games you guys recommend that I pick up during the steam sale? Was considering Subnautica, but would love to hear other recommendations.

I've picked up a lot of VR games already after getting my Vive last month, but I would recommend Space Pirate Trainer, Tilt Brush, Climbey, and Final Approach from what I've already played.

I still have a couple "new" games I'm looking at. One or two games in this sale from Vanishing Realms, SoundStage, Tabletop Simulator, and Brookhaven Experiment.

Still looking for a good horror type game after Chair in a Room, but it doesn't look like this sale offers that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom