• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

atom519

Still looking for a good horror type game after Chair in a Room, but it doesn't look like this sale offers that.

I really enjoyed Ghost Town Mine Ride, but more of a horror shooter. Starts off as a cute Disney-esque theme ride but turns dark a few minutes in, offers plenty of jump scares and good atmosphere. Warning on the artificial locomotion, although I didn't have any issues.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/459010/

Also the demo for Don't Knock Twice is totally worth trying. Short but scary.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/328590/

I really enjoyed Ghost Town Mine Ride, but more of a horror shooter. Starts off as a cute Disney-esque theme ride but turns dark a few minutes in, offers plenty of jump scares and good atmosphere. Warning on the artificial locomotion, although I didn't have any issues.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/459010/

Also the demo for Don't Knock Twice is totally worth trying. Short but scary.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/328590/

Tried the Don't Knock Twice demo and loved it. The artificial locomotion scares me (ha!) from trying Ghost Town Mine Ride but I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for it. Might as well give it a shot since horror offerings are pretty low.

I'm looking for something more atmospheric like Chair in a Room. I was hoping something would come out around Halloween, but no.

cakefoo

Any VR games you guys recommend that I pick up during the steam sale? Was considering Subnautica, but would love to hear other recommendations.
Must-haves:
Space Pirate Trainer
Vanishing Realms
Audioshield

Personal recommendations:
Paddle Up
Eleven Table Tennis
Pool Nation VR
SoundStage
Climbey
Quell 4D

Games you'll hear good things about from others:
edit: Raw Data (how'd I skim over that?)
Windlands
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Solus Project
Universe Sandbox
Modbox
Serious Sam
Redout
Island 359
I've picked up a lot of VR games already after getting my Vive last month, but I would recommend Space Pirate Trainer, Tilt Brush, Climbey, and Final Approach from what I've already played.

I still have a couple "new" games I'm looking at. One or two games in this sale from Vanishing Realms, SoundStage, Tabletop Simulator, and Brookhaven Experiment.

Still looking for a good horror type game after Chair in a Room, but it doesn't look like this sale offers that.
Dead Secret looks pretty good based on the trailer, but reviews say it lacks real motion controls. Maybe still worth it at 50% off for the spook factor.

Durante

Such a long list and no Raw Data?

But then you can't design your game to work optimally with anyone method. The games that use teleportation best, for example, are the ones designed around that mivement method, like Budget Cuts.
Yeah, I'm normally all for options, but if locomotion is a significant component of your gameplay loop / challenge it might not be viable to support multiple very different options for it.

E-flux

Wondering about the status of this as well.

Everything works well except the galaxy map, it barely works thanks to the search option and bookmarks. I get really bad fps on planetary surfaces so you might want to avoid those too, but CQC is awesome when ever i can find a game of that.

Durante

How's RD for single-player?
I've played it for ~15 hours, but the vast majority of that in co-op, so I can't say for certain. However, I don't think that it's a game that depends on coop to be fun - the base mechanics are solid, and it has a good difficulty progression which keeps things interesting.

Whats the status of the Fallout4 and DOOM 2016 Vive Versions?

I decided to delay my playthrough of these games so I can experience them for the first time in VR. (are these versions still on track or cancelled?... I would hope not!)

deadfolk

I've played it for ~15 hours, but the vast majority of that in co-op, so I can't say for certain. However, I don't think that it's a game that depends on coop to be fun - the base mechanics are solid, and it has a good difficulty progression which keeps things interesting.

Thanks. I'd mostly be playing solo, so I might let it rot on the wishlist for a while.

I decided to delay my playthrough of these games so I can experience them for the first time in VR. (are these versions still on track or cancelled?... I would hope not!)

The last I heard, Doom wasn't going to be the full game.

Padinn

Negotiating with wife to get this on sale today. My pc is ready. What are thoughtsome on it going on sale again after cyber monday?

Will 9x6ft be enough? Looks like it from what I read.

Durante

Todd Howard just recently (a few days ago) reconfirmed their commitment to porting the full FO4 game to VR.
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/sk...alks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761

You're trying to put all of Fallout 4 in VR?
We definitely are. That's the promise of VR, being in a big virtual world. The core experience, meaning you put on the headset and you're standing in the world of Fallout and can go where you want, just that little bit is every bit as cool as you hope it would be. Once we did that, we were like, "OK, we gotta see where this goes."

We're not so worried about how many we're going to sell or what the market is. That will all sort itself out. We have an opportunity to make something really unique. We'd rather do that than make some other tiny experience. I don't think that's what people want from us.

sn00zer

Is there any discussion of second gen VR tech? Buying a new PC to start actually doing game development stuff like I said I would, but waiting to get into PC VR until the next wave of the tech (basically hoping for Vive with PSVR optics and comfort.)

Compsiox

Banned
But then you can't design your game to work optimally with any one method. The games that use teleportation best, for example, are the ones designed around that movement method, like Budget Cuts.

Okay but games like Arizona Sunshine would benefit from multiple options.

I ordered the Vive last night. I have a 970 and it sounds like I'll be fine for now. I've been following this thread for months and can hardly wait to join you all in the VR experience!

zeioIIDX

Ugh...if I trade in stuff to GameStop, I can get a Vive for $430. I'm so fucking tempted but I know I don't need one :( I don't even have enough space in my bedroom for a room-scale experience. Plus I'm still rocking a GTX 770 which I've heard actually works but I'm wary. I think I'm just afraid of getting one because anytime I make a large purchase like that, my car breaks down or I end up owing money somewhere. Never fails lol. The other reason is I don't know how troublesome it is to set up the base stations. I'd have to screw mine into the walls and then find two power outlets plus the Vive itself needs an outlet. I suppose I can just buy one more power strip.

Padinn

Wife said yes, woohoo, I now have one. Got $100 off and 2x $50 Microsoft store gift cards after buying it in MS Store (actual location).

Durante

I'm the last person to dissuade anyone from buying a Vive (it's an amazing device), but I really wouldn't get one if you plan to drive it using a GTX 770.

Todd Howard just recently (a few days ago) reconfirmed their commitment to porting the full FO4 game to VR.
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/sk...alks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761

Wasn't one of the demos someone played a while back just teleportation btw? It'll certainly be interesting to see what a big open world like Fallout will be like in VR, but while teleportation will get rid of nausea for most people I can't help but feel that'll be very jarring just traversing the whole world like that.

I wouldn't mind the option for some kind of overhead player movement for normal long traversal, where basically it looks like the first two games for camera position while you control the character. Then when you get somewhere you can just switch back into first person for those smaller movements in a city or a shooting section. Obviously you'll just be able to fast travel, but then that'll take away from the actual open world part of the game.

Onemic

Wasn't one of the demos someone played a while back just teleportation btw? It'll certainly be interesting to see what a big open world like Fallout will be like in VR, but while teleportation will get rid of nausea for most people I can't help but feel that'll be very jarring just traversing the whole world like that.

I wouldn't mind the option for some kind of overhead player movement for normal long traversal, where basically it looks like the first two games for camera position while you control the character. Then when you get somewhere you can just switch back into first person for those smaller movements in a city or a shooting section. Obviously you'll just be able to fast travel, but then that'll take away from the actual open world part of the game.

please no.

E-flux

I didn't really like Fallout 4 but if they add vr with proper locomotion options i'm going to buy it in a heart beat. They should definitely include a normal movement option since the game wasn't built around teleporting. After getting my vr legs in Windlands i haven't felt any ill effects in vr games, other than headache from extremely poor fps.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
should do motion in fallout like how art of fight and climbey do it and have you swing your arms to walk in the direction you are facing works really well

so I almost got one on impulse earlier this afternoon, but reconsidered really hard thinking that I shoud at least wait till 2nd gen. Since I don't own a vive, what are usually the biggest complaints owners have with version 1.0?

Durante

For now, I expect an iterative improvement at CES, but not something people would generally call "2.0".

I don't really agree with that.

The Solus Project is the only VR game so far that I played which has you traversing / exploring huge areas, and it wasn't jarring to me to do so using (short-range) teleportation. (The game also has an artificial locomotion option, but I found that slow and uncomfortable in comparison)

So, I got Art of Fight, and while it's still a smidge buggy (Weapons like to jitter a lot, and my framerate started tanking in one match), it's pretty good in terms of the locomotion. I'd like to see an option to change the "button" for it to the grips, but overall I really liked the arm swinging style of movement.

Would like to see that added in more games.

Man I was so close to buying a Vive yesterday. That deal was amazing but I won't have the cash on hand for another two days. Fingers crossed they offer the deal or maybe even something better in the coming weeks.

Metal B

You can get five free games from HTC:
Cloudlands Mini Golf, The Gallery, Zombie Training Simulator, A-10 VR and Jooboman.

If you enter your product serial number here: http://www.htconeday.com/viveoffer
It doesn't seen to work for everybody (since it is an offer for Australia), but you can use different serial numbers to get more then one set of codes. Would be great, if somebody could get a pair of codes for me, since it doesn't work at my end. =)

I just pulled the trigger on this without much research. Is it going to be an issue that I have very little space to use this? 3"x6"

I'm not sure the Vive itself could fit in a 3 inch by 6 inch square.

:)

A three foot by 6 foot area is about 1m by 2m, so while you won't be able to play a lot of games at Room scale, you'll still be able to play any seated games, as well as any ReVive games. And once you start playing those games, you'll probably find a way to work out the extra space.

The recommend area starts at 1.5m by 2m IIRC, which would be about 4.5 foot by 6 foot, so you're not far off in that regard.

Vlaphor

I'm rocking 9ft long by 6ft wide and it never really feels like I have enough room to move around as much as I want, especially in faster paced games.

I'm rocking 9ft long by 6ft wide and it never really feels like I have enough room to move around as much as I want, especially in faster paced games.

Real talk when I move I'm specifically getting a two bedroom and using the larger bedroom almost exclusively as a VR room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom