• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
So the devs, who've partnered with Intel to make this game, have locked the single player horde mode behind a specific i7 CPU hardware requirement, and promised it to be available to everyone else March of 2017.

This was never advertised on the game's steam page and Reddit (along with a couple VR sites) have brought attention to the issue.

I'm thinking someone here needs to either convince a mod to make me a member again (fucking LOL right?) or they make the thread about it themselves. Pretty big news worth discussing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5h2kwx/i_urge_you_to_refund_arizona_sunshine/

Edit: Apparently the devs backpedaled and opened it up, but folks are like meh fuck em. What do you guys think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5h4xf8/to_people_saying_the_arizona_sunshine_change_was/

Wallach

So the devs, who've partnered with Intel to make this game, have locked the single player horde mode behind a specific i7 CPU hardware requirement.

This was never advertised on the game's steam page and Reddit (along with a couple VR sites) have brought attention to the issue.

I'm thinking someone here needs to either convince a mod to make me a member again (fucking LOL right?) or they make the thread about it themselves. Pretty big news worth discussing.

I urge you to refund Arizona Sunshine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5h2kwx/i_urge_you_to_refund_arizona_sunshine/

You're late enough with this news that they've already patched and removed this limitation.

I agree. The damage is done. It really just illustrates the attitude of the dev.

Devs get called out for for high prices, exclusivity deals, launching early access and doing kickstarters, so I kind of have a hard time seeing how anyone should be able to develop a game for VR without getting massively criticized at this point.

Zalusithix

Devs get called out for for high prices, exclusivity deals, launching early access and doing kickstarters, so I kind of have a hard time seeing how anyone should be able to develop a game for VR without getting massively criticized at this point.

Are you suggesting that devs should be allowed to artificially lock their games to certain processors?

No, I'm making the very real point that there exists a very toxic reactionary attitude in the VR community where any method a developer funds their game will generate a disproportionate amount of hate, even when the developer reacts to criticism and corrects the initial complaint.

This deal was obviously not one that the community was going to react well to, but I can't really fault a small developer for taking money that's handed out for free. In the question of exclusivity I find it more constructive to blame the people that pay for products to be exclusive rather than the guys who take the money.

Zalusithix

No, I'm making the very real point that there exists a very toxic reactionary attitude in the VR community where any method a developer funds their game will generate a disproportionate amount of hate, even when the developer reacts to criticism and corrects the initial complaint.

This deal was obviously not one that the community was going to react well to, but I can't really fault a small developer for taking money that's handed out for free. In the question of exclusivity I find it more constructive to blame the people that pay for products to be exclusive rather than the guys who take the money.

This is not unique to VR. There's consequences to every action. If as a developer you take money that has an onerous condition attached to it that you know isn't going to sit well with the people, then that's on you. Going out far into left field, if a white supremacist group offered free money, but you had to add a few lynchings to your game, would you take it? It takes two to tango, and both the taker of money and those giving it are equally responsible.

You could argue whether certain actions (such as EA/Kickstarter/etc) should get the developer in hot water with the community, but not whether they should be held to their actions. I don't believe EA/crowdfunding are bad things for instance. That doesn't free developers from any and all consequences that may arise for choosing that route though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lot of people don't like to be treated like "second hand" citizens and people can react to developers' decisions as they consider appropriate. Surely, personal attacks should never happen and are a shame. But boycotting a game or criticising a decision is fair game. In a world where new games pop up every week or more often not buying a game delayed or gimped because some exclusivity deal (or buying it only when it's very cheap, as you anyhow had to wait for it) is not something that should surprise anyone.

Samemind

Tomorrow, I'll be having my first night with a group of friends where I pass off the headset. As I've been nervous about handing it off without a bunch of experience with possible technical issues, I'd only did short demos as the user previously. Any tips and suggestions?

I'll be having:
-Someone whose roommate has the Vive, so he's gotten plenty of experience with it
-Two people who've seen it last time I had them over and were pretty into trying it out next time

I think they're likely to knock back a few beers.

I was thinking of having them do the Steam VR tutorial to start off.

Is there a thing people suggest you look at when trying to adjust IPD by feel?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think criticizing is fine, boycotting is fine as well.
I don't believe the attitude of just vote with your wallet but quit being vocal, they should know why you are voting with your wallet.

However I think the Steam refund policy needs to be changed, the length from which its possible to refund should have imput by the devs. If your whole game/experience is 30minutes you shouldn't be able to buy it then play the whole thing and then refund it. Thats shitty.
Really I think compatibility performance issues etc should be the factor that qualifies for refunds not protesting or thinking the game was "Good enough to not refund"

As well I think no reviews should stick if you refund the game.sorry but if you review then refund your not a customer and your review shouldn't be published...if you want to publish it you should have to pay for it.

Does Revive run pretty much every Oculus game now with good performance? I still haven't downloaded it but with Superhot out now I really want to jump in.

Pretty much every game, yes. Unfortunately, SuperHOT is an exception, so don't buy it yet.

While I haven't had any major performance issues, it's worth noting that ReVive does in theory decrease performance somewhat, according to the developer. This is probably worth considering for something like SuperHOT, which will probably be getting a native version at some point.

Pretty much every game, yes. Unfortunately, SuperHOT is an exception, so don't buy it yet.

While I haven't had any major performance issues, it's worth noting that ReVive does in theory decrease performance somewhat, according to the developer. This is probably worth considering for something like SuperHOT, which will probably be getting a native version at some point.
I think that's been fixed. Steam VR actually updated to specifically fix the issue if I saw correctly. I'd link but I'm on mobile right now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think criticizing is fine, boycotting is fine as well.
I don't believe the attitude of just vote with your wallet but quit being vocal, they should know why you are voting with your wallet.

However I think the Steam refund policy needs to be changed, the length from which its possible to refund should have imput by the devs. If your whole game/experience is 30minutes you shouldn't be able to buy it then play the whole thing and then refund it. Thats shitty.
Really I think compatibility performance issues etc should be the factor that qualifies for refunds not protesting or thinking the game was "Good enough to not refund"

As well I think no reviews should stick if you refund the game.sorry but if you review then refund your not a customer and your review shouldn't be published...if you want to publish it you should have to pay for it.
If people weren't properly informed of that before the purchase then I think that's a good reason for a refund in and of itself. And removing the refunded reviews has the effect of censorship.

Cartman86

Banned

Don't buy the different platform argument at all. Not the way he says it at least. As if Xbox One to PS4 development is easier? lol what? There are obviously differences between the Rift and Vive that would make a good amount of work porting to Rift. But Rift to Vive which is all people have been complaining about? ehhhh. Of course RockPaperShotgun loved picking this story up.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
If people weren't properly informed of that before the purchase then I think that's a good reason for a refund in and of itself. And removing the refunded reviews has the effect of censorship.

like i said you should still be able to refund..but people are buying playing beyond the point of determining if it works,sometimes the whole game, then giving shitty review then refunding..that's a horrible trend.
and its not censorship in any way shape or form..if you buy the game your entitled to publish a review on their site..if you don't buy it your not...its a privilege not a right

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Perhaps this isn't the best place for this but I am hoping someone here can help me out.

When I turn on Steam VR, it only detects one of my base stations. Both are lit up green with all 17 LEDs working. They are on channels a and b with the sync cable connected. They are both within 16 feet diagonally. All firmware is up to date.

I cannot figure it out. Any help?

Pic, if it helps?
uPYp8H2.png

kinggroin

Banned
Perhaps this isn't the best place for this but I am hoping someone here can help me out.

When I turn on Steam VR, it only detects one of my base stations. Both are lit up green with all 17 LEDs working. They are on channels a and b with the sync cable connected. They are both within 16 feet diagonally. All firmware is up to date.

I cannot figure it out. Any help?

Try power cycling them?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Try power cycling them?

I have tried power cycling.

I did get an update request shortly after that post. I did the update and had a few minutes to fiddle around with it with no major issues.

Previously I would only have minor tracking issues here and there so it didn't bother me too much.

I'm hoping this firmware update solves the problem.

I have tried power cycling.

I did get an update request shortly after that post. I did the update and had a few minutes to fiddle around with it with no major issues.

Previously I would only have minor tracking issues here and there so it didn't bother me too much.

I'm hoping this firmware update solves the problem.

Press the button at the back so that they turn to B and C instead of A and B.

I do not know if that is the solution but I thought that was the regular way to set them up from reading the manual. (works for me)

SimplexPL

I do not know if that is the solution but I thought that was the regular way to set them up from reading the manual. (works for me)

This is not the solution - he is using the sync cable so A and B are correct in this case. B and C are for when you do not use sync cable.
https://www.vive.com/us/support/faqs/GUID-9CAAC559-B84A-4F5F-A940-21C29C130252.html
Press the Channel buttons on the back of the base stations so that one base station is set to channel "*A"* and the other is set to channel "*b"*.

Durante

What

Edit: Apparently the devs backpedaled and opened it up, but folks are like meh fuck em. What do you guys think?
I think the deal itself was a bit silly, but nothing to create a huge controversy about.

Not informing everyone about the deal and its consequences in a straightforward manner is the main issue, and something which absolutely cannot be supported.
Given that Arizona Sunshine is a really fun game, I'm happy they did a 180 on that.

It's a bit weird, but from what I understand, SuperHOT was fixed by... Valve ;)
It's not that weird. As far as I understand, ReVive was already handling it correctly, but running into a SteamVR bug.
The remarkable thing is how the release note was formulated I guess.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's a bit weird, but from what I understand, SuperHOT was fixed by... Valve ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/91592690491726449

But I did not test it.

Can anyone confirm? This is at the top of my want list and my Oculus Touch controllers aren't shipping until the middle of the month.

I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room so the b and c tracking without sync cable doesn't work the best.

The Vita killer has arrived.

Zalusithix

So it's a slightly fancier version of Nekopalive. Considering I don't think I even made it through that one, I don't see this faring any better for me. Totally passive experiences where you're just a random observer in an audience aren't exciting or interesting in VR. They represent the mundane aspects of real life, but with worse image quality. You need something more engaging like La Péri to make it worth it.
Not until you can touch them. ;)

Durante

My "what" was primarily referring to the title. I mean VR Idol Stars Project "Hop Step Sing!" High Quality Edition is a pretty amazing title. If I ever release anything on Steam I'm inspired to add "High Quality Edition" to its title :p

Not until you can touch them. ;)
The Honey Select VR mod has been out for a while. (Don't google that in polite company or at work)

Zalusithix

My "what" was primarily referring to the title. I mean VR Idol Stars Project "Hop Step Sing!" High Quality Edition is a pretty amazing title. If I ever release anything on Steam I'm inspired to add "High Quality Edition" to its title :p

It's just taking a page from excessively long anime titles. I mean, this is from the land that gave us naming gems such as: Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru. For a nation who's language leaves so much to context, they certainly like making extremely drawn out titles for things. ;)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Reminds me of the episode titles the characters came up with during the little fake promo scenes they did between chapters in Disgaea.

There is nothing illegal or shady about ReVive. It's a compatibility layer. I don't see anything strange about Valve acknowledging the software's existence.

It's not that it's illegal or shady, but I feel like it's kinda like if Nintendo put out a patch note that said "Fixed crash when using specific brand controller adapter for Dualshock 4 controllers".

It's the patch notes, not the fix. You would expect "Fixed a crash when using certain VR software."

There are several new titles in the last few days that look interesting
Anyone tried any of these games? Might not get Werewolves Within though

Children of Colossus
Arcade Saga
Cargo Cult Shoot n' Loot
Smashbox Arena
ROM: Extraction
CRANGA! Harbor Frenzy
Arizona Sunshine
Werewolves Within
Super Kaiju
Dead Hungry

I picked up Smashbox but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Buzz is really good though. VERY interested to see how Children of the Colossus turns out.

Bread

Banned
SmashBox is cool, I definitely recommend picking it up if you want some multiplayer fun in the vein of Rec Room paintball (which is still my favorite game so far!).

The spectator mode that comes up after you're eliminated brings up a diorama model of the map with everyone playing, it's pretty mind blowing.

Okay, so I'm seeing this on the AMD ReLive driver:

https://uploadvr.com/amd-radeon-crimson-relive/

As well as ASW, the latest LiquidVR (the company’s VR focused API suite) suite included with the Crimson ReLive release adds two more important VR rendering features, MultiView and MultiRes. MultiView is AMD’s equivalent of NVIDIA’s SMP (Simultaneous Multi-projection) which greatly enhances efficiency when rendering stereoscopic scenes (which of course all desktop VR headsets do). MultiRes is equivalent to NVIDIA’s Multi-res Shading, a performance optimisation which reduces detail of the rendered view the further towards the edge of a user’s field of view. Both will be important performance enhancements as the costs of entry for VR capable PC hardware drops.

So does this mean that AMD now has that fancy optimization that nVidia put into the 1080 and 1070? Do we know how it compares yet? If it compares similarly, then I can rest easy knowing I won't need to go for an nVidia GPU, which is awesome.

Zalusithix

Okay, so I'm seeing this on the AMD ReLive driver:

https://uploadvr.com/amd-radeon-crimson-relive/

So does this mean that AMD now has that fancy optimization that nVidia put into the 1080 and 1070? Do we know how it compares yet? If it compares similarly, then I can rest easy knowing I won't need to go for an nVidia GPU, which is awesome.

Like everything AMD or Nvidia specific, whether you can actually take advantage of it is dependent on the dev actually implementing support for it. In the case of indies who are dominating the VR scene, I wouldn't count on either, let alone both company's solutions being used.

SomTervo

Like everything AMD or Nvidia specific, whether you can actually take advantage of it is dependent on the dev actually implementing support for it. In the case of indies who are dominating the VR scene, I wouldn't count on either, let alone both company's solutions being used.

I thought that in these cases it was automatic, and not reliant on any input from game devs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom