• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

I just stumbled upon a Dolphin VR video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jsu21Q2Z5Y, I had no idea this was already so advanced. I doubt I'm going to do it myself but the Metroid Prime 3 footage later in the Video is extremely tempting, there are also some settings tips at the end.

Ya, it's pretty solid. I dont know how that dude got Prime 3 working tho, as that game has never worked well for me(too many artifacts when playing) It sucks that he doesnt say how he got the game to run because most people cant run it well at all.

The best Dolphin VR games for me have been Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles, and F-Zero GX.

atom519

The Gallery Episode 1 is pretty fantastic. I just finished it. I really enjoyed it. The first sewer part was super atmospheric. They really nailed that part. I'm curious where the next episode will go.

Space Pirate Trainer is a great little wave-based shooter. I am enjoying more than I thought I would.

Of course I will likely mess around with Rec Room some more. It's my favorite VR thing.

I want to hold off until the Steam winter sale to pickup some paid games but I might wind up caving on getting the 5 game launch bundle for Oculus Touch. Anyone know if the game I Expect You to Die works with Revive?

Edit: I caved and bought the launch bundle. I will let you know if it works.

I Expect You to Die works in Revive, but has issues. At least I'm having a tough time with it. The tutorial asks you to float an object in the air using the A/B buttons on the Touch controller and I can't seem to figure it out. I asked on Reddit and others mentioned those buttons should be mapped to the lower left/right of the touchpad so maybe they are just hard to hit - going to give it another shot tonight.

Also totally agree regarding The Gallery, excellent game I hope we hear more about episode 2 soon.

There is some weird ass shit on steam. Accounting, that's a strange experience, very suicidy. The cubicle was some surreal trippy thing. The waltz of the wizard is super cool. I played organ quarter, plenty of potential there for a old RE style horror game but man the movement is terrible, what's with holding the stick down.

ToD_

As for having to use displayport because of HDMI port being occupied by projector - you can always use DVI-HDMI cable, or DVI-HDMI/HDMI-DVI adapters depending on your needs:

http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/20801.jpg

https://ipon.hu/GalleryMod/2013-09/202969/296423_sandberg_507_39_dvi_apa___hdmi_anya_atalakito.jpg

I didn't think of that. That may just be my solution. Do you happen to know if these adapters would work with redmere (active) HDMI cables for the Vive or a projector?

Edit: just realized I will need HDMI->HDMI for the projector since audio is being passed through. If DVI -> HDMI works for the Vive, however, I'm in good shape. No need for the redmere cables there since I'm running a shorter distance for the Vive (about 15ft).

Zalusithix

I didn't think of that. That may just be my solution. Do you happen to know if these adapters would work with redmere (active) HDMI cables for the Vive or a projector?

Edit: just realized I will need HDMI->HDMI for the projector since audio is being passed through. If DVI -> HDMI works for the Vive, however, I'm in good shape. No need for the redmere cables there since I'm running a shorter distance for the Vive (about 15ft).

Counterintuitive as it might seem, the DVI port will actually pass audio when adapted to HDMI. At least on any non-ancient Nvidia card; I can't speak for AMD.

Zalusithix

What's wrong with using a GPU displayport for Vive? I've been using that and I haven't noticed any issues.

Nothing is wrong with using it per se. If it works for you, then everything is golden. It's just that DP has had issues for some people whereas HMDI has been pretty much conflict free. Nvidia's 1070/1080 cards were incompatible with the Vive over DP for a period of time for example.

ToD_

Counterintuitive as it might seem, the DVI port will actually pass audio when adapted to HDMI. At least on any non-ancient Nvidia card; I can't speak for AMD.

Interesting. This would be great. The problem I'm encountering, however, is that the DVI->HDMI cables and adapters I found so far either state they don't transmit audio in the specifications, or the reviews mention they don't pass through audio. It's not that big of a deal for the Vive since it can also get audio through USB, but I was hoping to use DVI->HDMI for the projector and HDMI->HDMI for the Vive.

Bread said:
What's wrong with using a GPU displayport for Vive? I've been using that and I haven't noticed any issues.

I believe the problem is that DP doesn't do well over longer distances. I'm also currently using a 6ft DP cable without issues.

Zalusithix

Interesting. This would be great. The problem I'm encountering, however, is that the DVI->HDMI cables and adapters I found so far either state they don't transmit audio in the specifications, or the reviews mention they don't pass through audio. It's not that big of a deal for the Vive since it can also get audio through USB, but I was hoping to use DVI->HDMI for the projector and HDMI->HDMI for the Vive.
I can't speak for the DVI->HDMI cables, but the card should have come with a DVI->HDMI adapter. (At least all the cards I've bought have had them.) That adapter should pass the audio; then it's just a standard HDMI->HMDI cable ordeal.

Edit: I actually used this setup this summer with the adapter on my 980ti's DVI port and then a 50' active HDMI cable from it to the receiver. Passed audio just fine.

ToD_

I can't speak for the DVI->HDMI cables, but the card should have come with a DVI->HDMI adapter. (At least all the cards I've bought have had them.) That adapter should pass the audio; then it's just a standard HDMI->HMDI cable ordeal.

Edit: I actually used this setup this summer with the adapter on my 980ti's DVI port and then a 50' active HDMI cable from it to the receiver. Passed audio just fine.

Perfect. When I come home from work I'll have to dig around for the adapter in storage, where I believe I left the GTX 1080 box. If this ends up working on the projector, I just have to get a long HDMI cable for the Vive.

I'll report back. Thanks for the help.

Zalusithix

I bought some cheap dvi-hdmi cable and it transmitted audio just fine, I assumed it's normal behavior that the audio is transmitted.

Technically normal (in-spec) behavior is that a DVI port doesn't deliver audio; the delivery of HDMI specific functionality over a DVI port isn't exactly standards compliant despite being well supported these days. That said, the pinout should be the same between the adapters and cables, but I'm not going to make any claims for the capabilities of any random cable. Besides, adapters are more useful as they allow any HDMI cable to be used.

Durante

So apparently, Smashbox Arena is the best thing in VR ever. At least if you listen to reddit and Steam reviews. Has anyone here tried it?

Bread

Banned
So apparently, Smashbox Arena is the best thing in VR ever. At least if you listen to reddit and Steam reviews. Has anyone here tried it?
it's fun, but it really isn't the mindblowing game that everyone is making it out to be.

the biggest comparison to it is rec room paintball which feels more fully realized.

Smashbox has a really low budget feel with its flash game-esque sound effects and ugly character heads. The core gameplay is nice though.

it's fun, but it really isn't the mindblowing game that everyone is making it out to be.

the biggest comparison to it is rec room paintball which feels more fully realized.

Smashbox has a really low budget feel with its flash game-esque sound effects and ugly character heads. The core gameplay is nice though.

I would totally disagree with that. Though Rec Room Paintball is a good starting point for reference, I think it feels way more realized than that mode is (and it should since Rec Room has a bunch of different games). There's a lot of depth to it and the physics add a lot. For example, you can catch or deflect balls flying at you. you can dual wield balls but you won't be able to teleport while doing so. The powerups add a lot and there's a decent amount of them. There's a decent amount of maps and they're all pretty varied. The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but they're fine. I'll have to agree about the heads and general art style though lol.

Is Smashbox Arena worth it just for single player?

(All internet in my new apartment comes from tethering to my phone, and it's going to stay that way for quite a bit. <_<)

Ferrio

Banned
Superhot is freezing at startup on revive for me. It does the startup movie but I'm still in the default SteamVR room. Then it freezes.

Anyone have this issue?

Wallach

Superhot is freezing at startup on revive for me. It does the startup movie but I'm still in the default SteamVR room. Then it freezes.

Anyone have this issue?

Are you on the SteamVR beta client? I think that fix only went out with the last beta update.

I think you need to remove all files from the previous instalation of Advanced Settings, while SteamVR is not running.

I think I just now have realised how this was meant, I'm a bit slow sometimes. It's just the folder that was downloaded that has to be replaced... right? I thought there would be new files created in the Steam Config folder that need to be removed manually first!

Dracil

I would maybe hold off. It has full bot support but that's not going to be nearly as fun as real players.

Yeah, Smashbox is hilarious and intense with real players and people laugh about the crazy situations that happen. When you're playing against bots, well, they're just bots so you don't get nearly the same level of excitement and feedback.

But add in humans, and even if you're facing off against a bot at the end, you get a very different feeling because the other human players will often provide commentary about what's happening because they're invested in the outcome, even if the bot itself isn't.

Also, a neat thing about bots in multiplayer is the devs have said their skill level is based on the average skill of the enemy team (though as far as I can tell, it just improves their aiming and reaction. They don't seem as good about getting powerups or doing the mind games human players will engage in, like faking out teleports)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Okay superhot quickly became my favorite VR game.

Rec Room is still at the top of my list but SuperHot VR is basically a badass simulator. I saw someone describe it as John Wick the Game. That is an accurate description. I only wish there was Workshop/mod support that allowed the community to make levels to help give the game some legs after beating it. SuperHot VR will be my showcase game for friends and family that enjoys shooters and/or action movies.

E-flux

SUPERHOT is definitely the best thing I have played in VR to date. It's all I've been able to think about the past week pretty much. I need much, much more of it.

Can you move in Superhot VR or do you just stand there in place while waves come at you? Also does anyone know how long the exclusivity is for oculus store?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Can someone tell me if this is a thing you can use lying down?

I know about room scale and all that, but say I just want to lie down, use a controller and like, play minecraft in vr or whatever other game that works. I can do that right?

Do people get dizzy playing lying down? I like to do all my gaming while horizontal.

kinggroin

Banned
"A Gamechanging Locomotion System".

What is the locomotion system in the game?

You move around like you are skiing.

Can someone tell me if this is a thing you can use lying down?

I know about room scale and all that, but say I just want to lie down, use a controller and like, play minecraft in vr or whatever other game that works. I can do that right?

Do people get dizzy playing lying down? I like to do all my gaming while horizontal.

You are in the game world when in VR...so laying down with a controller means you are laying on some grass, looking at the sky, lol.

But yes, there's a way to play it like you would on your TV. Free application on steam called Big Screen. Let's you play games in multiple virtual environments (penthouse, woods, man cave etc) with a fully resizeable and draggable personal display. You could lay down on the ground in one environment, grab your display and drag it over your head and play with it floating in the air...at practically any size too.

It support up to 4 people online in an environment at any one time (and you can even see each other's displays and what's playing on them).

Keep in mind that whatever game you play on your display will take resources from your PC's ability to render this virtual reality environment, so the beefier the game, the beefier your CPU and GPU need to be to compensate.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

its similar to how climbey dose movement where you move your arms sort of like a skiing motion to walk around they also have a option to point in a direction with the vive controller and hold down the top button to glide around as well

Helznicht

I am so over the Teleport + FPS games. It just doesn't feel right or fun. There is art of fight with its arm swing movement, but the art style, uhg.

Arm Swing, climby (over low objects). It looks real nice from vids I saw.

Helznicht

Is it an improvement to the standard teleport method? It seems interesting.

Not played it. It has 2 movement options though, arm swing and pad slide.

I did try an old demo of a FPS game a guy made that had arm swing movement, it was awesome and derpy in a funny way. You could haul ass by moving your hands back and forth real fast, but in real life watching its hilarious. Probably the best FPS movement method for me. I wish he stuck with development, map was an old desert military base and looked awesome in VR.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I been working on this for a day or two, so here are all the good games (at least I feel) on Steam for HTC Vive

Local Co-Op:
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
VR The Diner Duo
Ruckus Ridge VR Party
Hide & Spook: The Haunted Alchemist
BitShift: BattleGrid

Open World/Survival:
Subnautica
ARK: Survival Evolved
Island 359

Horror:
Emily Wants To Play
A Chair In A Room:Greenwater
Boogeyman
Monstrum
Dead Secret
Nevermind
ARAYA
Keep Watching VR

Tower Defense:
Castle Must Be Mine
Evil Robot Traffic Jam HD

Horror Shooter:
Arizona Sunshine
HordeZ
The Brookhaven Experiment
Blur Effect VR
Sophie's Guardian
Monster Maze VR

Wave Shooter:
Space Pirate Trainer
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
Blasters of the Universe
Steampuff: Phinnegan's Factory
Bullet Sorrow VR
Kittypocalypse
Unruly Ghouls
Tribocalypse VR
Pen Island
The Rise of Captain Longbeard
God of Arrows
ROM: Extraction
Jeeboman

Experience/Films:
Google Earth VR
The Lab
Accounting
Firebird - La Peri
INVASION!
The VR Museum of Fine Art
Quanero VR
InMind VR
Apollo 11 VR
Star Wars Trials on Tattooine
The Rose and I
Lunar Flight
TheBlu
Carpe Lucem - Seize The Light VR
Ricerca VR
Sketchfab VR
Rexodus: A VR Story Experience
Allumette
Perfect

Social:
REC Room
AltspaceVR

Puzzle:
Portal Stories: VR
Fantastic Contraption
Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle
Water Bears VR
Light Repair Team #4
Fly to KUMA MAKER
Bounce
Grav|Lab - Gravitational Testing Facility & Observations
MIND: Path to Thalamus Enhanced Edition
CRANGA!: Harbor Frenzy

Shooting Gallery:
A-10 VR
Zombie Training Simulator
Lethal VR

Adventure:
Vanishing Realms
Portal Stories VR
The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
The Solus Project
Knee Deep
Obduction
Caretaker Sacrifice
Heroes of the Seven Seas VR
SVRVIVE: The Deus Helix
Reflections
Mervils: A VR Adventure
Far Beyond: A Space Odyssey
Heroes of the Seven Seas VR
FIRMA
Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games
FATED: The Silent Oath
The Assembly
Ahros: One Warrior Chronicle

Multiplayer Team Battle:
The Art of Fight
Smashbox Arena
Battle Dome
Cowbots and Aliens
Onward
Dig 4 Destruction
Snowday

Action:
Final Approach
A Legend of Luca
Unseen Diplomacy
Albino Lullaby
Trickster VR
The Rabbit Hole
Arcade Saga
Omega Agent

Flight/Space Shooter:
Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun
CDF Starfighter VR
Gunjack
EVE: Valkyrie
Space Rift

Simulation:
Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator
Ice Lakes
Skeet: VR Target Shooting
Richie's Plank Experience
NoLimits 2 Roller Coaster Simulation
Tabletop Simulator
Pool Nation VR
Garage Drummer VR
Thrills & Chills - Roller Coaster
Guided Meditation VR
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
SoundStage

Comedy Simulation:
Fruit Ninja VR
VRNinja
Fancy Slingshot VR
PITCH-HIT: BASEBALL
Job Simulator
Dead Hungry
Counter Fight
Craft Keep VR
Crazy Saloon VR
Super VR Trainer
Pinball FX2 VR
Zaccaria Pinball
Drunkn Bar Fight

Multiplayer Sandbox:
Modbox
Anyland
Universal Sandbox2

Escape Room:
VR: Vacate The Room
The Unwelcomed
Locked in VR
Escape!VR -The Basement-
Unforgiven: Missing Memories - Child's Play

Sports:
Cloudlands: VR Minigolf
The Golf Club VR
Paddle Up
Hat Trick Header
Oniris Basket VR
Final Goalie: Football Simulator
Hot Squat
VirZOOM Arcade
King of Spin VR

Arcade/Carnival Simulation:
Pierhead Arcade
New Retro Arcade: Neon
Carnival Games VR
NVidia VR Funhouse

Rail Shooter:
Hover Junkers
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery
Cargo Cult: Shoot'n'Loot VR
DEXED
RollerForce
Wrath Of The Fire God
Candy Kingdom VR
The Torus Syndicate
Driftwatch VR

Strategy:
Cosmic Trip
Out of Ammo
Quar: Battle For Gate 18
Waddle Home
Salvaged
Lazerbait

Rhythm:
Audioshield
Holodance
Beat Boxer
Music Inside

Sculpt/Paint:
ViveSpray
Tilt Brush
SculptrVR

Racing:
Radial-G: Racing Revolved
Redout
DiRT Rally
Off-Road Paradise: Trial 4x4
Trackmania Turbo
VR Running Joe
Project CARS

Archery:
Elven Assassin
Holopoint
Nock: Hidden Arrow
Archer Guardian VR

Others:
BLARP!
Quick Draw
BladeShield
The Town of Light
Raw Data

Boxing/Arena Combat:
The Thrill of the Fight
The Fastest Fist

Runner/Climber:
Climbey
Unbreakable VR Runner
Sweet Escape VR
Windlands

Exploration:
iOMoon
Alice VR

Wizard:
Spellbound
Waltz of the Wizard
Malazard: The Master of Magic

Pong/Tennis:
DUO
HoloBall
Eleven: Table Tennis VR
Pong It! VE
PLANNES
Proton Pulse

Card:
Ascension VR

FPS:
Quell4D
Overkill VR

Multiplayer
Werewolves Within

God:
Super Island God VR

Flight:
Volo Airsport
Eagle Flight
DCS World

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You move around like you are skiing.

You are in the game world when in VR...so laying down with a controller means you are laying on some grass, looking at the sky, lol.

But yes, there's a way to play it like you would on your TV. Free application on steam called Big Screen. Let's you play games in multiple virtual environments (penthouse, woods, man cave etc) with a fully resizeable and draggable personal display. You could lay down on the ground in one environment, grab your display and drag it over your head and play with it floating in the air...at practically any size too.

It support up to 4 people online in an environment at any one time (and you can even see each other's displays and what's playing on them).

Keep in mind that whatever game you play on your display will take resources from your PC's ability to render this virtual reality environment, so the beefier the game, the beefier your CPU and GPU need to be to compensate.

Thanks!

Is there away to re-calibrate the headset to think its vertical when I'm horizontal? Say, I'm lying down but it things I'm standing. So I can just play in bed but move normally with a controller? Or will this floating environment work out for this?

I live and die for immersion, but I also live for being horizontal as much as possible in my life.

It's interesting. It's not exactly like Climbey's movement though. The comparison to skiing is more apt. That lets you do some cooler things than regular touchpad control does like dashing which makes it pretty unique.

I don't really understand other methods of moving like that and what problem they're solving. Teleporting makes sense because you're not seeing the actual movement, and it's seeing the movement without actually moving that makes people sick.

If you're going to have essentially normal movement but controlled in a weird way, why not just control it like you would in any other game with analogue movement and some
sensible visual effects to make it less nausea inducing? Does swinging your arms to move actually help anyone because you're doing some motion?

I really wish more developers would just work on including analogue movement as an option with some comfort options for those more prone to sickness.

SomTervo

I played organ quarter, plenty of potential there for a old RE style horror game but man the movement is terrible, what's with holding the stick down.

Organ Quarter recently got an update adding teleportation, IIRC. You have to choose it in the tutorial.

Not played it. It has 2 movement options though, arm swing and pad slide.

I don't think Art of Fight's "arm swing" locomotion is that great, it feels too much like I'm glued to the ground and fighting against it. Also it can be hard/sometimes impossible to get actual "climbing" to work.

Climbey's locomotion is fantastic. You don't need to "grab and pull" the world, you just need to hold a button and move your arms up and down, and you move along. It is really motion-friendly and intuitive. My only issue with it is that it's locked to head-facing. If it was detached from head and you could point your hands anywhere, that would be great.

Of course, Climbey also has a brilliant jumping and climbing system. I really hope they make a Rayman-style game for VR.

I don't really understand other methods of moving like that and what problem they're solving. Teleporting makes sense because you're not seeing the actual movement, and it's seeing the movement without actually moving that makes people sick.

If you're going to have essentially normal movement but controlled in a weird way, why not just control it like you would in any other game with analogue movement and some
sensible visual effects to make it less nausea inducing? Does swinging your arms to move actually help anyone because you're doing some motion?

I really wish more developers would just work on including analogue movement as an option with some comfort options for those more prone to sickness.

Organ Quarter has two options:
- teleportation (but it's a horror game so that can break immersion/tension)
- analogue "point and press to hover" (the screenview narrows slightly like in Google Earth to make it less sickening)

The latter can still cause issues even with the 'reduced field' visual effect.

Teleportation is the most workable and least sickening but it can really, really mess with immersion. Usually it's fine. But there are moments when it can get the way, mainly breaking pacing.

I been working on this for a day or two, so here are all the good games (at least I feel) on Steam for HTC Vive

Amazing list, thank you.

You should squeeze Organ Quarter into horror or adventure.

Helznicht

I cant explain it, but arm movement feel natural to me. Pad movement always throws me off balance when standing.

I am so over the Teleport + FPS games. It just doesn't feel right or fun. There is art of fight with its arm swing movement, but the art style, uhg.

I get that sentiment, but it's really well done in Smashbox and in context with everything else. To teleport you shoot a disk out that you teleport to a couple seconds after it lands. Said disk is subject to the laws of physics that everything else is, so you can bounce it off walls, or it can even be deflected by other objects. Being a physical thing in the environment and having a consistent time for teleporting the character makes it easy to predict where the enemy is going which gets rid of that frustration. Also, forcing the characters to be static at times forces the classic dodgeball standoff which plays perfectly in to the game. Since we're not talking about hitscan weapons, the frustration of being rooted in place isn't a problem. Now when you face off against an enemy you have to decide whether you want to dodge their shot, catch their shot, try to shoot them first, wait for them to shoot first and deflect their ball with the one (or two) you're holding, etc. It works really well.

To be fair, Art of Fight's implementation allows for more finer control than trackpad movement does (it also has regular trackpad movement). But it's not perfect and I think it requires a little too much effort just to move from point A to B. I think it's on to something but I have a feeling a different game will refine it to what it really needs to be.

Onemic

its similar to how climbey dose movement where you move your arms sort of like a skiing motion to walk around they also have a option to point in a direction with the vive controller and hold down the top button to glide around as well

The locomotion systems are very different imo. Climbey has you move your arms like you're walking in place, AoF has you move a single arm like using a ski pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom