• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeioIIDX

Protip for anything who gets an error 125 where the headset is not detected. I was getting 108 one in a while before this but today was my first time seeing 125. I tried unplugging and restarting and even rebooting the Vive. I finally realized I had an Nvidia GeForce Experience driver update. Once I installed that, I started SteamVR again and it finally recognized my headset and then it told me I had new firmware updates for the headset and the two base stations. I did the required updates (annoying for the base stations as you have to take them down...) and now everything works just fine!

Zalusithix

Protip for anything who gets an error 125 where the headset is not detected. I was getting 108 one in a while before this but today was my first time seeing 125. I tried unplugging and restarting and even rebooting the Vive. I finally realized I had an Nvidia GeForce Experience driver update. Once I installed that, I started SteamVR again and it finally recognized my headset and then it told me I had new firmware updates for the headset and the two base stations. I did the required updates (annoying for the base stations as you have to take them down...) and now everything works just fine!

They should be able to wirelessly update via BT. I only did a USB update back when I first got the system back in May. Every update since then has been over BT - which is a good thing since my power adapters are in the ceiling and would be a pain in the ass to deal with.

How can you set different downsampling multipliers for each application/game?

There are some games I can't really downsample at all without hitting reprojection territory and then there are others I can double.

I don't always want to close Steam VR, edit the file and fire it up again.

Does the chaperone switcher program does this? Is that still working or does it always have to be updated with each iteration/update of SteamVR (Beta)?

Durante

You can use the OpenVR advanced settings overlay to at least comfortably change the multiplier and restart while wearing the HMD. Still not ideal, but an improvement.

Anyway, after just playing Arizona Sunshine again, I had the experience of trying to teleport outside of VR which I previously only had after longer sessions of Raw Data. I take that as an indicator for good immersion - and the disadvantages of reality ;)

SimplexPL

Speaking of OpenVR Advanced Settings - there's a new version and they finally changed the checkbox design which was beyond awful, I never new if the checkbox is checked, or not checked.
https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases/tag/v2.1

Other changes:

Changelog:

New checkbox design.
Correct SteamVR path is now automatically recognized when restarting SteamVR.
Desktop mode (executing startdesktopmode.bat displays a window on the desktop instead of a vr overlay).
Fixed crash on exit.
Possible fix for supersampling suddenly set to 0.1 (more logging statement when fix does not work)
Fix for high-dpi monitors.
Cleaned up application directory.
I reported that crash on exit, glad it was fixed.

How can you set different downsampling multipliers for each application/game?

There are some games I can't really downsample at all without hitting reprojection territory and then there are others I can double.

I don't always want to close Steam VR, edit the file and fire it up again.

Does the chaperone switcher program does this? Is that still working or does it always have to be updated with each iteration/update of SteamVR (Beta)?

There's an app, but I did not test it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51jnky/steam_enhanced_vr_launcher_per_app_supersampling/

Direct download: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/j...aster/dist/steam_enhanced_vr_launcher_0_5.jar

I just switched to Win10, I have nothing installed, so jar file will not open - what do I need to open it? JRE?

Anybody run into issues with the trackpad being stupid sensitive? One of my controller is currently getting some input even just by hovering my thumb over it and it goes beserk if I try to use it. I've tried reparing, re-calibrating and reinstalling firmware. Am I boned at this point?

I replaced my rift by a vive due to palmer being a shithead. Hopefully I don't regret those sweet touch controllers :)
Are most / all rift games playable with revive? And what should I get on steam as a fun 'party' game?

Durante

SimplexPL

Checkboxes are now "normal", so I'm glad he found the time to do it. You can tell him from me that his software is amazing, but he probably already knows it ;)

What is really needed, IMO, is per app supersampling setting.

Durante

Checkboxes are now "normal", so I'm glad he found the time to do it. You can tell him from me that his software is amazing, but he probably already knows it ;)

What is really needed, IMO, is per app supersampling setting.
As far as I understand it, making that possible seamlessly would need Valve to chenge how it is handled. Currently the values are only initialized once on SteamVR startup -- so even if you had some per-application tracking you'd still need to restart the system before launching an application.

(I do think one could probably intercept the call which the apps use to query the setting, but that comes with the potential stability problems and versioning issues of interception)

Ah, ok it's not that easy it seems. Also, I could be wrong but I think that if I change the multiplier in some games then that changes the overall setting.

On another note, I finally customized my Steam VR environment (open holodeck), lighthouse boxes (HAL9000) and controllers (Aperture Design).

This is kinda cool, I wish there would be more of that stuff, I want my chaperone to have the Matrix symbols raining down, animated of course. I wonder how difficult it is to make my own controller design, anyone know a site with tutorials?

All my VR stuff just failed. Anyone else having this issue?

What do you mean exactly?

I often have the issue that I have to reboot the headset or restart steamVR because I get no picture in the headset or I have no sound in games. I guess my USB ist not really up to the task, it's usb3.0 but does not get recognized correctly.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What do you mean exactly?

I often have the issue that I have to reboot the headset or restart steamVR because I get no picture in the headset or I have no sound in games. I guess my USB ist not really up to the task, it's usb3.0 but does not get recognized correctly.

Both Oculus and Vive will not start:
3Fpzl7b.png

Oculus just stays dark. Vive just stays grey.

I sometimes get that message, don't know what it means exactly but a steam VR restart has fixed it everytime here. You can't get it to work at all anymore?

Durante

Did you try power-cycling the vive connection box? Also, it might help to disconnect and reconnect your HMDs (or better yet, for troubleshooting, only one at a time).

New Touch owner here. You lucky bastards, the stuff you had available to you for months. What we had was like early 3D gaming before they invented the dual analog sticks, it was bad use of new tech. Now wow, this is game changing. Budget Cuts blew my mind.

So what should I get? I am a big zelda fan so Forgotten Realms has looked great for a long time. I want a zombie game but arizona sunshine is too expensive and I have heard mix reaction. Any other cheaper awesome zombie games? Whats the best free stuff? How is H3, I've heard good stuff.

And I know about Raw Data, I'll get it eventually, I dont like that its early access.

Zalusithix

New Touch owner here. You lucky bastards, the stuff you had available to you for months. What we had was like early 3D gaming before they invented the dual analog sticks, it was bad use of new tech. Now wow, this is game changing. Budget Cuts blew my mind.

So what should I get? I am a big zelda fan so Forgotten Realms has looked great for a long time. I want a zombie game but arizona sunshine is too expensive and I have heard mix reaction. Any other cheaper awesome zombie games? Whats the best free stuff? How is H3, I've heard good stuff.

And I know about Raw Data, I'll get it eventually, I dont like that its early access.

Yeah, the addition of tracked controllers changes VR significantly. Rather, it fundamentally changes the way in which we interact with digital content as a whole. This is why the comparisons to last gen's motion controllers are so incredibly tiring. From an experience standpoint, the two couldn't be any further apart.

Mind you, they're not perfect. There's much to iterate on and learn from when it comes to designing games/experiences around the interaction paradigm they make possible, but they're the future. I have no doubts about that. After years of wondering "where do we go from here" with games becoming prettier, but not changing in any real meaningful way, I think we finally have the answer.

For free stuff that makes use of the controllers:
Gnomes and Goblins [Experience]
Google Earth VR [Experience]
The Lab [Games & Experiences]
QuiVR [Game - Alpha]
RecRoom [Social / Game]
Waltz of the Wizard [Experience]

As for H3VR, it's probably the best game out there when it comes to guns and interactions with them. It's mostly target shooting right now though. There's other elements such as AI machines to take down in certain modes, but they're all works in progress. Likewise there's the groundwork being laid for user created levels/scenarios. So yeah, not complete, but frankly following the game is half the fun. The dev is extremely active and updates the game at least every other week (down from at least once a week for many months) along with video devlogs to go with the updates. We're actually in the middle of an advent calendar event with a special level where every day there's a new box to find and open with a new weapon and other silly things like tactical yule logs. While it's not free, I highly recommend getting the game if you enjoy messing around with guns.

Yeah, the addition of tracked controllers changes VR significantly. Rather, it fundamentally changes the way in which we interact with digital content as a whole. This is why the comparisons to last gen's motion controllers are so incredibly tiring. From an experience standpoint, the two couldn't be any further apart.

Mind you, they're not perfect. There's much to iterate on and learn from when it comes to designing games/experiences around the interaction paradigm they make possible, but they're the future. I have no doubts about that. After years of wondering "where do we go from here" with games becoming prettier, but not changing in any real meaningful way, I think we finally have the answer.

For free stuff that makes use of the controllers:
Gnomes and Goblins [Experience]
Google Earth VR [Experience]
The Lab [Games & Experiences]
QuiVR [Game - Alpha]
RecRoom [Social / Game]
Waltz of the Wizard [Experience]

As for H3VR, it's probably the best game out there when it comes to guns and interactions with them. It's mostly target shooting right now though. There's other elements such as AI machines to take down in certain modes, but they're all works in progress. Likewise there's the groundwork being laid for user created levels/scenarios. So yeah, not complete, but frankly following the game is half the fun. The dev is extremely active and updates the game at least every other week (down from at least once a week for many months) along with video devlogs to go with the updates. We're actually in the middle of an advent calendar event with a special level where every day there's a new box to find and open with a new weapon and other silly things like tactical yule logs. While it's not free, I highly recommend getting the game if you enjoy messing around with guns.

Sweet, yeah I'm going to get H3, its going to be a fun showcase to others.

Anyone have forgotten realms impressions, even better if you have tried it on oculus.

Zalusithix

Sweet, yeah I'm going to get H3, its going to be a fun showcase to others.

Anyone have forgotten realms impressions, even better if you have tried it on oculus.

H3VR honestly wouldn't be my choice for a showcase game for others. Unless said others have a decent knowledge of guns and games. While you don't need to know how to field strip a rifle in order to play the game, it does require a base knowledge of how the guns operate along with understanding the interaction mechanisms of the game itself.

And when I say interaction mechanisms, there are a lot of elements. Like more than probably every other VR game I've used combined. Take the options: just on the movement side of things there's multiple modes (teleport/slide), multiple ways to trigger them (pad/button), adjustments for how fast you slide, acceleration rates, etc. Then add in all the options on the gun and magazine handling side of things. That's in one settings "panel". Then you have the gun/accessory/melee weapon spawner, and the panel for all the different ammo types.

Basically it's a game that will easily overload and confuse somebody if you just throw them in there and expect them to pick everything up intuitively right away.

Onemic

Played the Doom 3 BFG VR mod and I noped the fuck outta there pretty soon after the place is overrun by zombies. The game isnt really scary on a monitor...in VR though it's straight up nightmare fuel.

The locomotion needs a bit of work though. I dont like how your momentum comes to such a sudden halt when you stop moving, especially when running. It feels like being in a car going 60km/h and pushing the brakes all the way down until you hit 0.

Durante

Momentum is difficult with artificial locomotion. Sudden acceleration and stops feel strange, but on the other hand continuous changes in speed seem to make more people sick (or do so more quickly).

Played the Doom 3 BFG VR mod and I noped the fuck outta there pretty soon after the place is overrun by zombies. The game isnt really scary on a monitor...in VR though it's straight up nightmare fuel.

The locomotion needs a bit of work though. I dont like how your momentum comes to such a sudden halt when you stop moving, especially when running. It feels like being in a car going 60km/h and pushing the brakes all the way down until you hit 0.

Have you tried the newest version of the mod? I've read it's quite enhanced compared to the earlier releases, not the locomotion but the inventory management. I've read you have now can have a belt an/or pockets to grab and store your stuff, similar to other VR games?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The Gallery Episode 1 is pretty fantastic. I just finished it. I really enjoyed it. The first sewer part was super atmospheric. They really nailed that part. I'm curious where the next episode will go.

Space Pirate Trainer is a great little wave-based shooter. I am enjoying more than I thought I would.

Of course I will likely mess around with Rec Room some more. It's my favorite VR thing.

I want to hold off until the Steam winter sale to pickup some paid games but I might wind up caving on getting the 5 game launch bundle for Oculus Touch. Anyone know if the game I Expect You to Die works with Revive?

Edit: I caved and bought the launch bundle. I will let you know if it works.

Just finished A Chair in a Room:Greenwater, makes me long for some VR "point&click"-adventures in the style of old Lucas Arts games. I wonder if that will become a thing or not in the future.

So, I was playing the newly updated Vanishing Realms yesterday... And fuck man, it's great. Being able to explore in VR is just... it's on a whole other level. Even just walking around in those caves, plinking away at the rocks with a mining pick is so much fun. I can't wait till we have more games like that, with the adventuring aspect.

Onemic

Have you tried the newest version of the mod? I've read it's quite enhanced compared to the earlier releases, not the locomotion but the inventory management. I've read you have now can have a belt an/or pockets to grab and store your stuff, similar to other VR games?

Nope, but tbh the game is too scary for me to even wanna come back to it anyway :p

So I moved into a new apartment and I'm trying to figure out how to hang my lighthouses. It's a rental so no drilling into walls.

In the past I've used clamps alongside high bookshelves, but I don't have any of those and wasn't planning on getting any.

What I do have are 90 degree outcroppings at pretty much every corner of my space, like so:

Is there any type of clamp that could hang onto stuff like this? It would be perfect in theory. The main alternative I can think of—getting a giant pole or tripod—isn't particularly appealing.

ToD_

I haven't used my Vive in a while and I want to change that. The reason I haven't used it much is because the room it's currently in is too small. The room next to it, however, would work well. Moving my PC is not an option, so I'm thinking about using long cables to get there. I'll need about 15 ft.

The HDMI port on the GPU is already being used so I would need a DisplayPort solution. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can make recommendations for the following cables:

15ft USB cable (male to male)
15ft DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort cable

Has anyone successfully set up something like this (or longer)?

from everything I have seen, I would avoid using anything but HDMI from the GPU to vive.

I'm running dual 25 foot HDMI cables with mine. One from the gpu direct to the vive breakout, the other from a DVI adapter to the TV. I then use an active 15 foot USB 3.0 extension cable

So, I was playing the newly updated Vanishing Realms yesterday... And fuck man, it's great. Being able to explore in VR is just... it's on a whole other level. Even just walking around in those caves, plinking away at the rocks with a mining pick is so much fun. I can't wait till we have more games like that, with the adventuring aspect.

How necessary is space to move around?

Padinn

I notice my desktop mode mouse stops responding to vr controllers frequently. Wondering if it has something to do with afterburner or gfe. Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix?

H3VR honestly wouldn't be my choice for a showcase game for others. Unless said others have a decent knowledge of guns and games. While you don't need to know how to field strip a rifle in order to play the game, it does require a base knowledge of how the guns operate along with understanding the interaction mechanisms of the game itself.

And when I say interaction mechanisms, there are a lot of elements. Like more than probably every other VR game I've used combined. Take the options: just on the movement side of things there's multiple modes (teleport/slide), multiple ways to trigger them (pad/button), adjustments for how fast you slide, acceleration rates, etc. Then add in all the options on the gun and magazine handling side of things. That's in one settings "panel". Then you have the gun/accessory/melee weapon spawner, and the panel for all the different ammo types.

Basically it's a game that will easily overload and confuse somebody if you just throw them in there and expect them to pick everything up intuitively right away.

Yeah I tried it yesterday and it's overwhelming. Where is the tutorial?

Played for 2 hours just now, it's awesome so far. Should be the blueprint for action RPGs in VR!

Also @Durante,
OpenVR advanced Settings is really useful, thanks. Changing the distance when the chaperone disappears is great etc, setting a downsampling res and restaring Steam from there is comfortable enough for me.
One question, it says when updating, Remove all old files (very important) what files are these exactly and does it stop working when a new version of steam VR comes up?

How necessary is space to move around?

Same as other games where you have to warp, but you have to be careful when fighting enemies with sword and shield, can be quite intense and you don't want to strike your furniture or walls. I recommend always having the center of the chaperone displayed so you always can go to the middle of your space/room quickly.

Zalusithix

Yeah I tried it yesterday and it's overwhelming. Where is the tutorial?

There is nothing in game; development progresses at a rate that would invalidate any tutorial quickly. There might be something one day, but right now the best you'll get is watching the dev's tutorial video. That's from back in August, so it's already outdated in a number of ways, but it's good enough to get the gist of how things work. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to cover bolt-action rifles, but they're obvious enough to figure out, and he did go over the most recent handling of them in the latest devlog (timestamp link). Suppressors didn't exist back when he made the tutorial, and they have to be screwed on to the gun until they stop turning or they'll unfasten in use. Various other accessories like rail adapters didn't exist back then either and they allow mounting things like red dot sights to handguns that otherwise wouldn't allow it. Once again, rather simple to use once you have the basics down.

So yeah, H3VR has a learning curve, but given that it's effectively a (simplified) gun simulator, that's to be expected. Weapons are inherently more complicated beasts than "press R to reload". It's precisely that complexity that makes it worth it though. It gives you far more of an appreciation for what you're using.

ToD_

from everything I have seen, I would avoid using anything but HDMI from the GPU to vive.

I'm running dual 25 foot HDMI cables with mine. One from the gpu direct to the vive breakout, the other from a DVI adapter to the TV. I then use an active 15 foot USB 3.0 extension cable

I wish I could use an HDMI cable, but the one HDMI port on my GPU is already used for my projector (which is also located in that other room). The Vive is currently connected with a 6ft DisplayPort cable and is working just fine, but I'm not sure if DisplayPort works with longer lengths.

Does the 15 ft USB 3.0 repeated introduce any latency?

Business

So I moved into a new apartment and I'm trying to figure out how to hang my lighthouses. It's a rental so no drilling into walls.

In the past I've used clamps alongside high bookshelves, but I don't have any of those and wasn't planning on getting any.

What I do have are 90 degree outcroppings at pretty much every corner of my space, like so:

Is there any type of clamp that could hang onto stuff like this? It would be perfect in theory. The main alternative I can think of—getting a giant pole or tripod—isn't particularly appealing.

Adhesive tape has to be the alternative if you really want to wall mount without drilling there, but I haven't tested it myself. Personally I'd go with a pair of cheap tripods.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I tried using a Displayport adapter on the Rift and it wasn't having it.

SuperHot VR works great with ReVive. The Climb works really well with ReVive.

I Expect You to Die is playable but they have you do some stuff that will give you hand cramps on the Vive wands.

SimplexPL

As for having to use displayport because of HDMI port being occupied by projector - you can always use DVI-HDMI cable, or DVI-HDMI/HDMI-DVI adapters depending on your needs:

http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/20801.jpg

https://ipon.hu/GalleryMod/2013-09/202969/296423_sandberg_507_39_dvi_apa___hdmi_anya_atalakito.jpg

I Expect You to Die is playable but they have you do some stuff that will give you hand cramps on the Vive wands.

Having to keep squeezing the grip buttons on the vive is not comfortable solution, it requires much more effort than on the touch. It's easy to lose the grip and drop the held item, which is frustrating.
Luckily, there is an unofficial setting for sticky grip in revive:

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/342#issuecomment-265484351

Once version 1.0.3 is released you can turn it on by editing your steamvr.vrsettings and adding the following:

Code:
   "revive" : {
      "ToggleGrip" : true
   },
You may already have a "revive" section, in which case you can just replace that section.

Hopefully hybrid grip will be implemented:
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/342#issuecomment-265030617
Mimicking the hybrid grip mode used in Raw Data may be a good way of handling this. I.E. Tapping the Vive grip holds the Touch grip until Vive grip is tapped again, but holding the Vive grip results in holding the Touch grip until the Vive grip is released.

OpenVR advanced Settings is really useful, thanks. Changing the distance when the chaperone disappears is great etc, setting a downsampling res and restaring Steam from there is comfortable enough for me.
One question, it says when updating, Remove all old files (very important) what files are these exactly and does it stop working when a new version of steam VR comes up?
I think you need to remove all files from the previous instalation of Advanced Settings, while SteamVR is not running.

Also, Touch emulation may need to be tweaked on a game by game basis:
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/371

fin

Has anyone tried using the Vive with more than one Windows user?

We have a HTC Vive demo at work that people use for model reviews (not game related). Whenever someone else logs into our VR machine, with their own username, Steam asks them to calibrate the room. And the room has definitely been calibrated. So we've just been using one login so far.

I put in a ticket to valve and tried a few things but it seems like just creating a VR user account that everyone logs in as is the easiest fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom