• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padinn

Does anyone know how to get the vive mic working in raw data. I believe I have it set to switch to recording to it when steam vr lainches, but in game yesterday I could only hear other guy. I assume it always transmits, is there a special transmit button?

Zalusithix

htc dismissed and confirmed there's no vive 2 this year on uploadvr.com

It was always more likely to be a refresh of the Vive anyhow (which they didn't discount). Something with the same technical specs, perhaps revised ergonomics, and updated electronics allowing them to drive the cost down. Right now growing their market with more affordable hardware is more important than making a new high end device to market to the early adopters. Next year is a safer bet for the truly new generation of headsets. (Especially since I doubt the competition is going to tell their customers that the CV1 is obsolete right after selling them $200 Touch controllers.)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't even see the point of going to a 120hz display just yet unless it's actually cheaper or at equal cost for some reason. 90hz works just fine for now and I don't want them to give devs a reason to go for 60hz reprojection.
Black frame insertion, maybe. For that CRT-like motion quality.

Black frame insertion, maybe. For that CRT-like motion quality.

Isn't this essentially the same thing as using a low-persistance display?

(Also, black frame insertion wouldn't really work on a 120hz display since you'd be dropping the rate of actual displayed frames to 60 per second.)

Durante

I finally got to play Serious Sam TFE in coop today (which was really the reason I bought it, and I held off really playing it before specifically because of that). We both got quite into it and played for more than 2 hours. Loving the fast-paced gameplay, and there's something to be said for the technical excellence and amount of content of the game (even in EA state) compared to many other VR experiences.

Particularly the large-scale levels with huge numbers of enemies (r massive individual bosses) are amazing in VR, while they weren't really my favourite on screen. Despite the frantic pace it's much easier to keep track of everything in VR.

Putosaure

Tried some Climbey tonight. This is really fun, especially in multiplayer. I stumbled upon great and friendly players. I recommend !

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So pissed I missed that price mistake.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I wound up downloading and playing Nick last night.

It's a Christmas themed wave based defense game. You get a shotgun and a hammer to defend Santa's cabin. This is the closest thing to a horror game I have played in VR. The little robots that come in aren't scary but when they roll up out of nowhere it can be unsettling. The noise they make is also pretty creepy. Anyway, the game looks great. Each of the models looks real enough to convince you you're in Santa's cabin. I didn't last too long and instead of giving it another go, I opted to not hear the crazy sounds of the robots coming at me from all directions. For a free game, it's pretty good. It's in early access with the promise of more polish, more weapons, more depth, a tutorial, etc. No mention of multiplayer, which would be an interesting addition.
If weird robot noises don't bother you, give it a whirl. Hell, even if they do, download it. I'll probably boot it up once or twice more before the week is out.

I also gave The Price of Freedom a go.

It's a short mystery, puzzle game about the CIA and a very famous program. There are a handful of puzzles. The atmosphere is alright but came off as a bit forced. One aspect that I found interesting was being in the room with
the dead body
. It's a tight quarter and moving around it so as not to disturb it was a new sensation for me and was the most memorable experience in the game. The rest has bad voice over and the areas often feel too small. I think this game was built only for those with the smallest space requirements, which is fair but ultimately claustrophobic. On the downside, at least one puzzle solution was exploitable for me
(the safe code can be entered by just twisting the dial around until you hear a click)
. Overall, it seemed to fall a bit short on gameplay and the story was very heavyhanded. I'd say give it go since the price tag is free but be warned--this is essentially a VR point and click game that takes itself very seriously.

That head bobble in climbey is insane. It made me sick almost immediately.

After kinda going crazy with my Vive over the past week and buying 70+ games for it, I think I've learned that I prefer shorter, simpler, more casual experiences in VR. I don't know if I could handle a full game like Skyrim or GTA for example like this. It'd just be too much.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
After kinda going crazy with my Vive over the past week and buying 70+ games for it, I think I've learned that I prefer shorter, simpler, more casual experiences in VR. I don't know if I could handle a full game like Skyrim or GTA for example like this. It'd just be too much.

Damn, that's a lot of games. Do you have a rundown on which were your favorites?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I own Space Pirate Trainer on Oculus. My friend has it on Steam. He can see my scores but I can't see his. Is there way to get that working besides buying it again on Steam?

Damn, that's a lot of games. Do you have a rundown on which were your favorites?

Well the ones I've enjoyed the most are probably the same ones that a lot of people have already talked about before.

Audioshield has been a surprising amount of fun for my wife and I. It's so simple but it works so well when you are timing the balls with the beat to your favorite songs. The little haptic feedback the controllers give out when you smash the balls and the particles are flying all around you.....it's quite the experience.

Job Simulator is just goofy fun. It gets a little repetitive but the kids love it and I'll still jump back into it from time too time

Castle Must Be Mine is a pretty brilliant tower defense game. My biggest problem with it is maneuvering around the table top. Sometimes I need to move from side to side and I found the teleporting to be a little finicky at times.

Holoball is just fucking awesome. So incredibly simple but it feels sooooo good. Again the haptic feedback really makes a difference.

Rec Room is Rec Room. Not much else needs to be said other than that I wish the other games inside of it were as fun to play as paintball.

Zombie Training Simulator shouldn't occupy as much of my time as it does but I keep coming back to it, so I guess that's something in its favor. I guess I just like the way the guns feel? I don't know. It's so dumb and simple but weirdly satisfying.

Smashbox Arena is the dodgeball game I never knew I wanted. A lot fun to be had and a lot of great people on there.

Eleven Table Tennis. I hate ping pong but I love playing this, which is completely confusing because this is just straight up ping pong.

Cosmic Trip doesn't have a whole hell of a lot going on but what there seems kinda fun. Again The haptic feedback when you are doing stuff like putting in a battery or shooting your blade thing just feels right.

Budget Cuts is probably the closest I could get to playing a real game in VR. Curious to see what the full version will be like but what's there is pretty amazing.

Holopoint is my favorite part of The Lab and expanded out. Nothing complicated it but a lot of immediate fun.

Google Earth. I can stand in my backyard and look up at my house. That's fucking crazy

I've tried most of the big titles out there like Raw Data, Arizona Sunshine, Adrift, Redout, etc but after playing them for a bit I always seem to gravitate towards the simpler experiences

derFeef

I finally got to play Serious Sam TFE in coop today (which was really the reason I bought it, and I held off really playing it before specifically because of that). We both got quite into it and played for more than 2 hours. Loving the fast-paced gameplay, and there's something to be said for the technical excellence and amount of content of the game (even in EA state) compared to many other VR experiences.

Particularly the large-scale levels with huge numbers of enemies (r massive individual bosses) are amazing in VR, while they weren't really my favourite on screen. Despite the frantic pace it's much easier to keep track of everything in VR.

That sounds great, coop in VR is something I wanna try but it kinda needs some dedicated time and VR for me so far is only enjoyed in small doses.

kinggroin

Banned
Well the ones I've enjoyed the most are probably the same ones that a lot of people have already talked about before.

Audioshield has been a surprising amount of fun for my wife and I. It's so simple but it works so well when you are timing the balls with the beat to your favorite songs. The little haptic feedback the controllers give out when you smash the balls and the particles are flying all around you.....it's quite the experience.

Job Simulator is just goofy fun. It gets a little repetitive but the kids love it and I'll still jump back into it from time too time

Castle Must Be Mine is a pretty brilliant tower defense game. My biggest problem with it is maneuvering around the table top. Sometimes I need to move from side to side and I found the teleporting to be a little finicky at times.

Holoball is just fucking awesome. So incredibly simple but it feels sooooo good. Again the haptic feedback really makes a difference.

Rec Room is Rec Room. Not much else needs to be said other than that I wish the other games inside of it were as fun to play as paintball.

Zombie Training Simulator shouldn't occupy as much of my time as it does but I keep coming back to it, so I guess that's something in its favor. I guess I just like the way the guns feel? I don't know. It's so dumb and simple but weirdly satisfying.

Smashbox Arena is the dodgeball game I never knew I wanted. A lot fun to be had and a lot of great people on there.

Eleven Table Tennis. I hate ping pong but I love playing this, which is completely confusing because this is just straight up ping pong.

Cosmic Trip doesn't have a whole hell of a lot going on but what there seems kinda fun. Again The haptic feedback when you are doing stuff like putting in a battery or shooting your blade thing just feels right.

Budget Cuts is probably the closest I could get to playing a real game in VR. Curious to see what the full version will be like but what's there is pretty amazing.

Holopoint is my favorite part of The Lab and expanded out. Nothing complicated it but a lot of immediate fun.

Google Earth. I can stand in my backyard and look up at my house. That's fucking crazy

I've tried most of the big titles out there like Raw Data, Arizona Sunshine, Adrift, Redout, etc but after playing them for a bit I always seem to gravitate towards the simpler experiences

SuperHOT.

Super.

Hot.

Get it. It's perfectly structured to match your VR need for bite size, burst-like experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom