• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the ones I've enjoyed the most are probably the same ones that a lot of people have already talked about before.

Audioshield has been a surprising amount of fun for my wife and I. It's so simple but it works so well when you are timing the balls with the beat to your favorite songs. The little haptic feedback the controllers give out when you smash the balls and the particles are flying all around you.....it's quite the experience.

I just played Audioshield for the first time myself:

If you haven't already, try these 3 songs:
Gustav Holst - The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, No 13 Dance of the Knights (Valery Gergiev, LSO)
Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom - Conan the Barbarian Theme (Basil Poledouris)

Even if you are not a fan of orchestral musik, try it on hard (important) and see what Audishield creates with this.

Durante

That sounds great, coop in VR is something I wanna try but it kinda needs some dedicated time and VR for me so far is only enjoyed in small doses.
For me, the "coop factor" (as in, how much more fun any game is in coop) is even higher in VR than with regular flat games, and it's already pretty high in those.

There's just something amazing about occupying the same virtual space and fighting the same enemies together with a friend. Even with the current, crude body IK just seeing where they look and point makes such a huge difference. (I can't wait for better body and ultimately leg tracking)

For me, the "coop factor" (as in, how much more fun any game is in coop) is even higher in VR than with regular flat games, and it's already pretty high in those.

There's just something amazing about occupying the same virtual space and fighting the same enemies together with a friend. Even with the current, crude body IK just seeing where they look and point makes such a huge difference. (I can't wait for better body and ultimately leg tracking)

Out of all the things missing from VR, this is the biggest one for me, and will change everything once it finally comes.

Also the only coop i've played is Rec Room and it has an odd sense of camaraderie than other games online, as you can see their actual bodies moving about.

cakefoo

HTC's press release for CES:
LAS VEGAS, Dec. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- HTC VIVE™, the leader in room-scale Virtual Reality (VR), today announced parts of its showcase line-up for CES 2017. The Vive showcase, located in the Wynn's Alsace Ballroom, will feature more than 30 curated VR experiences across Entertainment, Health & Medical, Enterprise and Education.

"In the past nine months, we've made VR readily accessible to consumers and enterprise customers across the globe, and we're carrying incredible momentum into 2017," said Daniel O'Brien, VP, Virtual Reality, Vive. "The VR ecosystem continues to grow and at CES 2017, we will showcase the breadth of VR experiences and accessories that will form the future of VR."

The Vive showcase will open Thursday, January 5th, highlighting demos across the VR ecosystem in one-hour blocks for press through Saturday, January 7th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. To register for demos, please email vivepr@htc.com.

A sample of the demo content is included below across the following categories...
All the titles (well, 24 at least): http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...of-virtual-reality-at-ces-2017-300383991.html

I just played Audioshield for the first time myself:

If you haven't already, try these 3 songs:
Gustav Holst - The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, No 13 Dance of the Knights (Valery Gergiev, LSO)
Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom - Conan the Barbarian Theme (Basil Poledouris)

Even if you are not a fan of orchestral musik, try it on hard (important) and see what Audishield creates with this.

I'll have to give them a shot when I get home tonight!

And the only thing stopping me from picking up Superhot right now is that I keep thinking that there will eventually be a native Vive port. How easy is it to get up and running with ReVive? And since it's a touch game, are the controls mapped thoughtfully to the vive controllers?

TheRed

Funny that my favorite VR thing since I've owned the Vive from launch is Assetto Corsa.

It's not even official Vive Support and still early Oculus support that hasn't been finished. The menus have to be used out of the headset and with a mouse but once in the races it's been the best experience. The cars around me in the race look so good and with shadows they truly look like they are really physically right there. The cockpits are all nice and actually physically looking at the mirrors adds immersion. The driving physics feel really good on controller, way better than what I tried of Project Cars. Project Cars also looked and ran way worse in VR to me back when I tried it. I need to load that back up to see if it's better but it just doesn't match Assetto Corsa.

I ended up getting a racing wheel and now the experience is even closer to perfection with VR. So good.
I just come back to it more than I ever do for other VR games.
Also probably because I don't have to adjust parts of my room to play it like room scale stuff. When I'm feeling lazy it doesn't stop me from loading in Assetto Corsa.

Funny that my favorite VR thing since I've owned the Vive from launch is Assetto Corsa.

It's not even official Vive Support and still early Oculus support that hasn't been finished. The menus have to be used out of the headset and with a mouse but once in the races it's been the best experience. The cars around me in the race look so good and with shadows they truly look like they are really physically right there. The cockpits are all nice and actually physically looking at the mirrors adds immersion. The driving physics feel really good on controller, way better than what I tried of Project Cars. Project Cars also looked and ran way worse in VR to me back when I tried it. I need to load that back up to see if it's better but it just doesn't match Assetto Corsa.

I ended up getting a racing wheel and now the experience is even closer to perfection with VR. So good.
I just come back to it more than I ever do for other VR games.
Also probably because I don't have to adjust parts of my room to play it like room scale stuff. When I'm feeling lazy it doesn't stop me from loading in Assetto Corsa.

You should try out Thumper if you're into Rhythm Games.

"Project Cars also looked and ran way worse in VR to me back when I tried it. I need to load that back up to see if it's better but it just doesn't match Assetto Corsa."

This is still true. Project Cars simply doesn't run well even on lowest settings (which almost makes it look like GTR2). However, you can get somewhat acceptable performance by deleting your config files if you had the game installed before the VR patch, and then raising supersampling up from 1.0 in the newly created VR config files. That's right, increasing supersampling made the game run *better* for me. Significantly. But it still leans on reprojection more than I care for.

iRacing runs pretty solid in VR.

"Project Cars also looked and ran way worse in VR to me back when I tried it. I need to load that back up to see if it's better but it just doesn't match Assetto Corsa."

This is still true. Project Cars simply doesn't run well even on lowest settings (which almost makes it look like GTR2). However, you can get somewhat acceptable performance by deleting your config files if you had the game installed before the VR patch, and then raising supersampling up from 1.0 in the newly created VR config files. That's right, increasing supersampling made the game run *better* for me. Significantly. But it still leans on reprojection more than I care for.

iRacing runs pretty solid in VR.

I may have to try that. When I originally tried it out even on my 1080 the game looked like complete shit. It was a blurry mess.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone use the wireless accessory? Thoughts? Can we buy it yet?

Mysocksarepink, thanks so much for the Raw Data key!!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone have any thoughts on Trickster?

I'm debating picking it up. It looks like the devs update regularly and has some positive feedback from the community.

Also, what is the best puzzle game for VR right now?

Gah, I missed out on a Raw Data price glitch? Dang it, I really wanted to give it a shot. If anyone picked up an extra code, I'd be down for working something out and paying you for it.

I picked up some other games during the sale, but much to my surprise my favorite of the bunch is a game I'd never heard of:

Basically you run a ramen shop. It's super simple gameplay-wise, but it's ridiculously fun. Like, one of the best pick-up-and-play type of games I've played.

It's kind of like a basic version of Cook, Serve, Delicious! where you only make different types of ramen bowls, dumplings and serve beer. It may sound kind of boring, but holy crap -- when things get going and you're scrambling to serve a whole counter full of customers, there's nothing like it.

I highly, highly recommend it. If you're looking for something that has quick games like the shooting gallery games (ala Space Pirate Trainer) but are tired of said shooting galleries, this is definitely one to look into.

Putosaure

And the only thing stopping me from picking up Superhot right now is that I keep thinking that there will eventually be a native Vive port. How easy is it to get up and running with ReVive? And since it's a touch game, are the controls mapped thoughtfully to the vive controllers?

I wanted to wait too but I finally bit the bullet. And it's good. Damn good.

The process is fairly easy, just download the latest build of ReVive, install it, download Oculus Home (additional download after installation), and get the game on the Oculus Store. Install it, reboot your computer, and voilà. It may sound complicated, but it's just a few steps to gaming goodness.

Basically you run a ramen shop. It's super simple gameplay-wise, but it's ridiculously fun. Like, one of the best pick-up-and-play type of games I've played.

It's kind of like a basic version of Cook, Serve, Delicious! where you only make different types of ramen bowls, dumplings and serve beer. It may sound kind of boring, but holy crap -- when things get going and you're scrambling to serve a whole counter full of customers, there's nothing like it.

I highly, highly recommend it. If you're looking for something that has quick games like the shooting gallery games (ala Space Pirate Trainer) but are tired of said shooting galleries, this is definitely one to look into.

I downloaded it at launch and had fun with it, but refunded it because of some bugs and the lack of settings (especially for that damn music). Is it better now ?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

FEATURES

* Various dishes: Serve ramen, fried dumplings and beer!
* Realistic cooking action: Drain water from noodle baskets, pick up toppings with chopsticks, cook dumplings with a frying pan, and keep the beer chilly by putting them in the fridge!
* Robbers: Drive them away by throwing at them anything you have at hand!
* Energy drinks: Rack up your score and your assistant will provide you with life-replenishing refreshments!

Sounds interesting...

I downloaded it at launch and had fun with it, but refunded it because of some bugs and the lack of settings (especially for that damn music). Is it better now ?
I'm not sure, there's been some patches since launch that apparently ironed out some bugs. I didn't really have any problems with it, except that the frying pan was a bit...sticky? In that it would get stuck on the stove sometimes. I found that hoovering up the dumplings with my chopsticks worked better than trying to lift the pan and scoop them onto the plate.

I don't think there are any settings (at least any I found, but I wasn't looking for them either). The music is one of the best parts, though! Especially when you've got a crowded counter and the more uptempo track starts up -- so good.

Sounds interesting...

Basically you can toss whatever's at hand at them. Whether that's a ladle full of broth, a basket of ramen, a beer bottle, a bowl, etc. is up to you.

Jesus, just booted up Raw Data for the first time and I was getting sub 50 FPS, might have been in the 30s even.

GTX 1080 playing on medium settings. Need to look into this.

Padinn

Jesus, just booted up Raw Data for the first time and I was getting sub 50 FPS, might have been in the 30s even.

Huh, mine defaulted to epic settings and 1.2 multiplier (but medium shadows). Try deleting the config file with the settings in it, I heard that worked for some people.

Huh, mine defaulted to epic settings and 1.2 multiplier (but medium shadows). Try deleting the config file with the settings in it, I heard that worked for some people.

I installed the newest nvida drivers, turned off my second monitor and restarted and it ran fine after that

Although after I finished the tutorial I got a BSOD (first one on W10).

Also the controller lag is pretty bad. Looks fun otherwise though.

This is pretty cool. It's only 3 minutes though, so about $1 per minute.

Gah, I missed out on a Raw Data price glitch? Dang it, I really wanted to give it a shot. If anyone picked up an extra code, I'd be down for working something out and paying you for it.

I picked up some other games during the sale, but much to my surprise my favorite of the bunch is a game I'd never heard of:

I wanted to like this, but the pan kept glitch the hell out and throwing my dumplings all over the place. Happened like 3 times in a row and the customer ended up walking out.

SimplexPL

That ramen shop reminded me something - I remember from way back announcement of a game where you have a store and sell stuff to aliens, or prepare food for them, I can't remember the title, but it looked promising. Different kind of aliens had to be catered to. Anyone knows what game I am talking about?

There's just something amazing about occupying the same virtual space and fighting the same enemies together with a friend. Even with the current, crude body IK just seeing where they look and point makes such a huge difference

Also, there is something horrifying about seeing how your friends' body horribly and unnaturally contorts in Arizona Sunshine :)

Cartman86

Banned
Any reason why I should wait for Superhot to come to Steam? There's no jank using ReVive, right?

I would say no don't wait. I don't know if I would define it as jank, but having to hold the grips in to hold something can be a bit tiresome. I think there are settings with Revive to fiddle with this, but it's not perfect. I imagine a native version would have some options built in like Raw Data.

I think if you're looking for a "puzzle game", SuperHyperCube probably is not really what you have in mind. That said, it's a great game and I can't wait to play it on Vive.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Weird, it's been working good on my 1070, albeit not maxed on everything.

It might not be the best, but Water Bears VR is really polished and worth playing.

Still the best, huh? I am really hoping for a resurgence of point-and-click style games for VR. The medium seem ripe for that style of gameplay.

console only for the moment but it has to be SUPERHYPERCUBE

I think if you're looking for a "puzzle game", SuperHyperCube probably is not really what you have in mind. That said, it's a great game and I can't wait to play it on Vive.

I will buy anything Phil Fish touches.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I bought a few games tonight, I'll probably give more felshed out thoughts later.

I will say that Audioshield is no joke. It's Audiosurf for VR. I'm not sure why I held off on buying it because I loved Audiosurf. I spent 2 hours playing it tonight. That's a first for me and any game in VR. I will usually start it up and take a break 30 - 60 mins in. It's also the game that really cemented the idea that videos cannot encapsulate a vr experience. Videos make this game look dull. In game, it's intense and fun. My only gripe at this point is the seemingly only 8 total results from searches. That's way too limited.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's fast paced and score driven but It's thoroughly a puzzle game.

I do agree, if someone asked me for a puzzler I'd immediately think they're looking for something like The Room series or The Witness.

I wanted to like this, but the pan kept glitch the hell out and throwing my dumplings all over the place. Happened like 3 times in a row and the customer ended up walking out.

The pan's the buggiest part of the game, for me. Don't pick up the pan at all, just toss your dumplings in with the chopsticks. When they're all done (wait for all of them -- if you're patient they'll evenly cook and won't burn) hold the trigger and quickly move your chopstick hand around the pan in circles. You'll automatically grab any dumpling you run across (so get all six) and then drop them on the plate.

Doing it that way, I've never failed a dumpling order. You might lose one or two dumplings when you drop them on the plate, but if you're quick you can pick them back up off the counter and stick them on the plate to serve. It seems more intuitive to pick up the pan and scoop them out (at least, that's how the "real life reflexes" part of my brain wants to do it), but it's much easier to magnetically hoover them up.

Thankfully, dumpling orders seem fairly uncommon to start. Later on you've gotta watch out for the "fat guys" and the "robots", as they have significantly less time until they walk out. Basically, the robots need to be served ASAP, as they have between 10 and 15 seconds (I think). Fat guys are a bit more lenient, but still only have around 20-30.

Another tip is to stock your fridge with beer when the round starts -- you have much more leeway when you start, and it helps later on to have the 10 or so chilled beers ready to go when orders start stacking up.

It takes a bit to get used to it, but man -- I really love it. I wish there was some kind of level progression system (i.e. serve all these people to complete a "day" or something) but the arcade approach is good enough for me, especially for less than seven bucks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm playing through The Witness now because I heard it was supposed to be VR but that appears to never be happening.

Picked up Water Bears VR.

Durante

It's too bad that The Witness didn't get full VR support, it would be perfect for it. I did play through part of it on my DK2 when it was released.

Still the best, huh? I am really hoping for a resurgence of point-and-click style games for VR. The medium seem ripe for that style of gameplay.
Well, in that vein currently there are mostly escape-the-room style games available.

I'm still looking forward to the eventual release of Thunderbird -- it's one of the games which got me hyped before the Vive release and then went under the radar.

Zalusithix

I bought a few games tonight, I'll probably give more felshed out thoughts later.

I will say that Audioshield is no joke. It's Audiosurf for VR. I'm not sure why I held off on buying it because I loved Audiosurf. I spent 2 hours playing it tonight. That's a first for me and any game in VR. I will usually start it up and take a break 30 - 60 mins in. It's also the game that really cemented the idea that videos cannot encapsulate a vr experience. Videos make this game look dull. In game, it's intense and fun. My only gripe at this point is the seemingly only 8 total results from searches. That's way too limited.

Yep, going into VR, I didn't think much of Audioshield; of the major releases it was quite possibly the game I was the least hyped for. Thankfully the lack of titles at launch guaranteed I'd pick it up regardless. Turns out it ended up as my favorite, and is currently my VR game with the most amount of hours logged. It's conceptually simple, but has a high skill cap. It's easy to pick up for a quick session, but equally possible to spend hours playing. It's active enough to get the endorphins flowing, but not so active that you're sore as hell after playing / the next day. If it weren't for the bugs and meh UI, it'd be damn near perfect (assuming your music collection works with the algorithm at least).

Also, yes videos are damn near useless to convey a VR experience. They only begin to work when you have a similar base experience to work with. Things that can look utterly boring in a video can be intense in VR. I think a good rule of thumb is take however intense something looks in a video and multiply that by at least a factor of two. We're used to seeing videogames based on finger twitch gameplay. In VR where you're moving your body/arms around, those twitch actions would more or less translate to inhuman feats.

Double D

So the primary user of our new Vive has been my 12 year old son. He loves it, and plays a lot of the games that has him jumping around getting some 'exercise', which is great. However, the sweat. Dear lord, the sweat. The last time he played I literally blotted moisture out of the foam with paper towels. Surely I can't be the only one dealing with this. What are you guys doing to keep this a clean situation?

So the primary user of our new Vive has been my 12 year old son. He loves it, and plays a lot of the games that has him jumping around getting some 'exercise', which is great. However, the sweat. Dear lord, the sweat. The last time he played I literally blotted moisture out of the foam with paper towels. Surely I can't be the only one dealing with this. What are you guys doing to keep this a clean situation?

GAMETECH-PlayStationVR-Face-Mask-PROTECTION-from-SWEAT-DIRT-COSMETIC-0.jpg

I bought the waterproof version of the VR Cover and it's probably the best accessory I've bought for Vive. It gets hotter faster than the foam, but you can just wipe it down to clean sweat off it instead of having sweat soaked foam.

Alternatively you can just buy a 2pk of the normal foam and swap out as needed.
That's what I was doing at first, but I'm not a fan of the cleanup (and how often it needed it). Plus I'm paranoid about removing the foam too many times after the Velcro on the headset started pulling off in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom