• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonza

I am thinking about ordering a Vive as I got to try the Gear VR a couple times and was pleasantly surprised by the immersion in some games. I did have one experience with the Gear VR over a year ago that left me really cold (Avengers scene) but Im glad I gave it another shot. I do have a PS4 pro so PSVR is an option but Vive is more appealing for the Unity/ Unreal Engine integration.

Is a i5 6500 with GTX 1060 enough for good VR experience? Do you think there will be a successor to Vive in 2017? The 100 euros off deal is tempting. (sorry if all of this has been asked many times before)

Zalusithix

I am thinking about ordering a Vive as I got to try the Gear VR a couple times and was pleasantly surprised by the immersion in some games. I did have one experience with the Gear VR over a year ago that left me really cold (Avengers scene) but Im glad I gave it another shot. I do have a PS4 pro so PSVR is an option but Vive is more appealing for the Unity/ Unreal Engine integration.

Is a i5 6500 with GTX 1060 enough for good VR experience? Do you think there will be a successor to Vive in 2017? The 100 euros off deal is tempting. (sorry if all of this has been asked many times before)

Yes to performance, and likely yes to the successor question. If not an outright successor, I think we're almost guaranteed to see some 1.5 variant. Exactly when and for how much is anybody's guess, though we'll probably have a better idea after CES 2017 (next week).

Durante

Is a i5 6500 with GTX 1060 enough for good VR experience?
Yes. There is a small number of games where IQ will be less than ideal, but for the vast majority it will be fine.

Do you think there will be a successor to Vive in 2017?
That's a more difficult question ;)
I'm really not sure. We could just see an incremental update (cheaper to manufacture, but similar specs), or we could see a new model with different features (e.g. wireless?), or we could see a full-on successor. I don't think the latter is too likely before the end of the year.

Starviper

That should work but I think the recommended 10 series card is a 1070 generally? You may have to adjust some settings in games like Raw Data down but most games will be just fine.

SimplexPL

Recommened 9xx card is 970. And 1060 is faster than 970, almost as fast as 980.

1479354313KJcQgNql5m_6_2_l.png

Padinn

Ive been wanting to puck up raw data but wife will kill me. I have an extra code for Zombie Training Simulator and Call of the starseed. Anyone interested in a trade?

Loving arizona sunshine so far.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

If you're in doubt, there's an app on the Steam store front that will gauge your PC.

Tonza

Thanks for the answers. I'll take a look at the SteamVR test and see. I think I want to get one but not sure should I... :)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thanks for the answers. I'll take a look at the SteamVR test and see. I think I want to get one but not sure should I... :)

VR is awesome. I'd say go for it as long as you can afford it and a few games to keep you entertained.

We're enablers here. :)

Padinn

Wife agreed to let me get Raw Data. It's my favorite game so far. I had a few issues, but overall it was a blast. Main problem is my mic wasn't transmitting and I kept getting disconnected from other people when trying to do a quick search, but it eventually worked. It's really intense at times, I loved it and worked up a sweat :)

I really want a good fantasy tavern Environment. The Simpsons one is super impressive but it doesn't seem like there's many other well done ones.

Also, is it normal for only certain places in Google Earth VR to be fully 3d? Manhatten has a ton of depth, the buildings pop out at you. Same goes for my house, or a lot of places in the US; but I visited a small town in Japan and it was flat, even after waiting. I saw street names and building locations, but the buildings themselves were just a flat texture. Same for a random towns I found in Europe or Africa. Is that just the game being buggy, or are 3d buildings limited to only certain places?

Done. Let me know Steam names for invites.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NeoGAFVR/

Invite please! Here's me

Wife agreed to let me get Raw Data. It's my favorite game so far. I had a few issues, but overall it was a blast. Main problem is my mic wasn't transmitting and I kept getting disconnected from other people when trying to do a quick search, but it eventually worked. It's really intense at times, I loved it and worked up a sweat :)

I really enjoy Raw Data but holy crap it kicks my ass. I can't beat level 2 as any of the characters on Normal. I'm going to have to knock it down to easy most likely. I've not had any luck finding a co-op partner for it.

DPhentom

Anyone know if, in Rec Room, it is possible to change teams in 3D charades? Every time I play it everyone is always on the blue team.

TheRed

I really want a good fantasy tavern Environment. The Simpsons one is super impressive but it doesn't seem like there's many other well done ones.

Also, is it normal for only certain places in Google Earth VR to be fully 3d? Manhatten has a ton of depth, the buildings pop out at you. Same goes for my house, or a lot of places in the US; but I visited a small town in Japan and it was flat, even after waiting. I saw street names and building locations, but the buildings themselves were just a flat texture. Same for a random towns I found in Europe or Africa. Is that just the game being buggy, or are 3d buildings limited to only certain places?

Invite please! Here's me

I really enjoy Raw Data but holy crap it kicks my ass. I can't beat level 2 as any of the characters on Normal. I'm going to have to knock it down to easy most likely. I've not had any luck finding a co-op partner for it.
I'm not sure but I think the 3d model comes from the pictures their streetcars take. So if they're street cars haven't been there I don't expect it to be detailed 3d if at all. I was dissapointed I couldn't stand on the top of the burj Khalifa because it was just flat :(

Crispy75

I'm not sure but I think the 3d model comes from the pictures their streetcars take. So if they're street cars haven't been there I don't expect it to be detailed 3d if at all. I was dissapointed I couldn't stand on the top of the burj Khalifa because it was just flat :(

Its all from aerial photos, which is why it looks so distorted and blobby at ground level

Durante

Its all from aerial photos, which is why it looks so distorted and blobby at ground level
I actually find the level of detail they get from just those aerial photos impressive. It seems like ~.5m³ resolution in most places. If they could use the streetview data to texture the buildings that would be fantastic.

Crispy75

I actually find the level of detail they get from just those aerial photos impressive. It seems like ~.5m³ resolution in most places. If they could use the streetview data to texture the buildings that would be fantastic.

Yeah me too. I'd be astonished if they're not already working on it tbh.

TheRed

Oh okay well that's cool it looks as good as it does. I figured if they had streetview pictures some of those main places should look way better. Hope they get to that in updates. Still disappointed in Dubai :(

Padinn

Invite please! Here's me

I'll probably be playing again around 615 est. Message me through Steam group if you are interested. I had some issues getting my mic to work, but I think I can fix those.

SomTervo

The most insane thing is going to a city with skyscrapers that have slightly angled glass and looking at the reflections of streets below on skyscrapers.

It's like looking through a window into high-def reality from a crazy angle.

jotun?

In Google Earth VR, make sure to check out the options. They have an option to turn off the tunnel vision when moving, and also an option to allow human-scale

Durante

In Google Earth VR, make sure to check out the options. They have an option to turn off the tunnel vision when moving, and also an option to allow human-scale
Be careful when disabling the FoV reduction though -- I don't get sick that easily in VR but tilting the world in Google Earth without that feature will do it.

Zalusithix

It's been known that HTC will announce something related to the Vive at CES. Vive 1.5, 2... Something. Prices, availability period, and specs are all total speculation and should be taken with a mountain of salt. (Edit: And I'll eat my damn hat if it's 2 4k displays at 120Hz.)

dsk1210

Running in the current resolution on a 4k display would still look better because of the pixel density?

120hz at 4k would require some ridiculous graphics grunt.

Onemic

Running in the current resolution on a 4k display would still look better because of the pixel density?

Ya, it would have to be 100% ATW/ASW to achieve that. This seems like it would be more appropriate for the new GPU's of 2018 vs what we have coming up in the pipeline for 2017.

Still, if it's actually true, I wont be complaining.

I don't even see the point of going to a 120hz display just yet unless it's actually cheaper or at equal cost for some reason. 90hz works just fine for now and I don't want them to give devs a reason to go for 60hz reprojection.

Zalusithix

The performance hit would actually be akin to a 4k monitor at 240hz since they're stating 2x 4k panels. This assuming no built in supersampling factor at all. Totally impossible on even the best current hardware without heavily foveated rendering.

Even if you could run it, the price would be astronomical for this hypothetical Vive 2. 2x 4k screens (better than the best phone screens currently available), a wireless transmission system capable of handling the bandwidth, an eye tracking system, updated lighthouses and controllers... Vive 2: Now available starting at $1500*.
*Optional wireless system available for $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom