• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been playing some room scale games (vanishing realms and H3)on a rift with two cameras and no space in my room. Obviously these games were not meant for my situation but they are functional and would be so much better if they add a super simple ability to just rotate the view. Why is this not in every game. Staying facing forward would help tracking a ton and make navigating these games work fine with an VR setup.

Because it makes some people motion sick.

There's a larger discussion to be had here about whether developers should provide options that will make some people motion sick. See also: people calling for sliding motion in games that are teleportation-only.

I'm of two minds here. First of all—I never get sick, so I would obviously benefit from more options (although I personally find that joystick movement breaks immersion more than teleporting). Then there's also just the whole mentality that PC gaming is about giving users control, and that's a great thing!

From a branding perspective, however... it's difficult to sell people a device that may make them feel ill. I was having a discussion about VR at work, and a couple of people were telling me they are interested in VR, but worried about sickness. I tried to explain that many games on the Vive—The Lab, Budget Cuts, The Blu—will never make anyone motion sick, because there's no artificial movement. They found it kind of hard to believe based on everything they had heard about VR.

I feel like the Vive is going to have problems moving forward if the biggest titles cause sickness for a significant percentage of players. Or even if they provide options that make some people sick, unless they're hidden in a config file or something.

Because it makes some people motion sick.

There's a larger discussion to be had here about whether developers should provide options that will make some people motion sick. See also: people calling for sliding motion in games that are teleportation-only.

I'm of two minds here. First of all—I never get sick, so I would obviously benefit from more options (although I personally find that joystick movement breaks immersion more than teleporting). Then there's also just the whole mentality that PC gaming is about giving users control, and that's a great thing!

From a branding perspective, however... it's difficult to sell people a device that may make them feel ill. I was having a discussion about VR at work, and a couple of people were telling me they are interested in VR, but worried about sickness. I tried to explain that many games on the Vive—The Lab, Budget Cuts, The Blu—will never make anyone motion sick, because there's no artificial movement. They found it kind of hard to believe based on everything they had heard about VR.

I feel like the Vive is going to have problems moving forward if the biggest titles cause sickness for a significant percentage of players. Or even if they provide options that make some people sick, unless they're hidden in a config file or something.

But make it an option that is turned off, what's the harm in that?

SomTervo

Thanks! Tried paintball but I think I liked the pong and frisbee ones more. I'm real bad at shooting. I need to try the others and give paintball another go.

Edit: Scratch that on Vanishing Realms. I don't have a big enough room for it. It was 2mx2m, i'm at 2m x 1.5ish

Ignore the recommendation and play anyway. Mine is the same size.

jotun?

I wish SuperHot VR had some of the challenge replay options that the normal version has. It was really cool, but it's kind of light on content.

Joe White

So I purchased Vive last weekend after one tryout session; had a salesman came to our house to do the setup for roomscale, provide instructions and offer us some nice complimentary Scotch whiskey. After the tutorials, I tried to draw something in Tilt Brush, then some experiences like Google Earth VR and Thrills & Chills - Roller Coasters and finally couple of games: Raw Data, ADR1FT and Project CARS. And it was the Raw Data that sold me the damn thing, as I had so much fun shooting those robots and dodging bullets (slightly intoxicated). Just need to replace our current sealing lamp to some plafond type of lamp or similar, because I kept hitting it while shooting down drones.

Anyway, I really didn't expect to buy Vive (or any other VR-device) but it managed to impress me with its tracking capabilities, immersion and fun factory. And it also helped that I got a pretty good discount for it (roughly 50% off the asking price, so it was also the cheapest VR option for us).

Zalusithix

So I purchased Vive last weekend after one tryout session; had a salesman came to our house to do the setup for roomscale, provide instructions and offer us some nice complimentary Scotch whiskey. After the tutorials, I tried to draw something in Tilt Brush, then some experiences like Google Earth VR and Thrills & Chills - Roller Coasters and finally couple of games: Raw Data, ADR1FT and Project CARS. And it was the Raw Data that sold me the damn thing, as I had so much fun shooting those robots and dodging bullets (slightly intoxicated). Just need to replace our current sealing lamp to some plafond type of lamp or similar, because I kept hitting it while shooting down drones.

Anyway, I really didn't expect to buy Vive (or any other VR-device) but it managed to impress me with its tracking capabilities, immersion and fun factory. And it also helped that I got a pretty good discount for it (roughly 50% off the asking price, so it was also the cheapest VR option for us).
So 50% off, installation provided, and complimentary booze? Did it also come with a massage following your first session? =P

Edit: Also, if you liked Raw Data, get Sairento.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
So I just ordered a Vive for myself.

Super Excited!

What games are must plays so far?

Thumper, Rec Room, Elite Dangerous?

my post from the last page but also add sairento

my favorites are

climbey (game is a super fun platformer that has coop and levels you can get from steam workshop )

art of fight (4v4 multiplayer counter strike)

raw data (really fun coop wave based game / tower defense)

hover junkers (has a few pvp modes and a pretty fun wave based coop mode)

space pirate trainer ( my favorite of the single player wave based games its the only one i can get my jedi fix using only 1 saber and only reflecting all the shots back at enemies super fun)

special delivery ( its a first person version of paperboy i find myself coming back to this game the most when i just want to play a game for a few minutes)

arizona sunshine ( was really awesome playing through coop with a friend but if you are going to play solo and not really into horror games theres a few places i would of noped out of if i was playing by myself namely the mines that are pitch black)

onward ( a more tactical pvp fps its slower paced then art of fight but if this is more your speed go for it its solid)

vanishing realms ( its currently the best dungeon crawler your going to get in vr)

sportsbar vr (started as a pool table simulator and its a really good one but they have expanded a bunch and added a ton of other things to do in the bar like play air hockey
chess/checkers shuffleboard and a bunch of other stuff)

eleven table tennis vr ( the best table tennis game maybe ever? good range of singleplayer difficulty levels and online modes)

serious sam vr: the first encounter (amazing port of the classic game and the scale of everything in vr is crazy)

free games you should get
budget cuts demo
spell fighter

how the hell do i get elite dangerous, lol. I thought Horizons included the base game. Turns out horizons (via cdkeys) only consists of the season pass..

What else do I need? anything else besides the base game now?

also

space pirate trainer is fucking intense as fuck. I was throwing myself around my play area.
Arizona sunshine is kind of terrifying
accounting was hilarious. I need more of that
konrad the kitten is adorable (gf loves that)

but seriously, rec room is the best!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
arizona sunshine is really fun coop though if you have another friend with a vive nothing like going back to back holding off a few waves of zombies

Bread

Banned
arizona sunshine is really fun coop though if you have another friend with a vive nothing like going back to back holding off a few waves of zombies
I had some weird glitches in coop but it was a lot of fun. When I joined my friends game the performance was under 5fps, when he joined my game the game ran well for both of us but he couldn't see my character. Hope they can fix those issues.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Is it available on steam, or somewhere else?

steam and i think you can also get it on the oculus store if you have touch

its on sale for $8.99 right now with the holiday sale going on its well worth the price
http://store.steampowered.com/app/561230/

I had some weird glitches in coop but it was a lot of fun. When I joined my friends game the performance was under 5fps, when he joined my game the game ran well for both of us but he couldn't see my character. Hope they can fix those issues.

had the same bug the 2nd day we played it fixed it by me hosting the server instead of him

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm looking to get some games as I have work off until next Tuesday. So far I have:
Project Cars - really cool but I only do a few races every other day.
Thumper - beat it and was one my my favorite experiences in VR.
SuperHot VR - fantastic, just sad it is over. I will likely pick up the original game because of how fun the VR one was.
Rec Room - My favorite Vr thing for sure.

If I enjoyed these the most so far, what else would everyone recommend?

I am downloading House of the Dying Sun right now.

I'm debating on getting Raw Data or Sairento. Is one better than the other?

Zalusithix

Nope, but I could have used one because next day my legs were sore from crouching and dodging in Raw Data.

Thanks, I'll get that.

Yeah, the first sessions are always rough with games that require lots of crouching if you're not doing something in real life that's using those muscles on a regular basis.

Thankfully for your legs, Sairento doesn't require crouching. It eschews waist high coverage in favor of insane traversal capabilities. Of course this sort of migrates the physical fortitude requirements to mental fortitude instead. Full movement mode can potentially throw people for a loop and make them nauseous. It doesn't affect me for the most part, but one session I accidentally did a backwards jump when I didn't mean to... Very nearly stumbled over from that. It's one thing when you're expecting to do something, but backwards + unexpected = one hell of a "WTF is going on" moment.

The game does have a "safe" mode that disables full movement, but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as interesting as that'd inherently kill the ability to double jump.

Edit:
I'm debating on getting Raw Data or Sairento. Is one better than the other?
Raw Data for coop, more fleshed out gameplay, and higher production quality. Sairento for solo play and feeling like the ultimate badass, though it's more EA than Raw Data so set expectations accordingly.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Raw Data for coop, more fleshed out gameplay, and higher production quality. Sairento for solo play and feeling like the ultimate badass, though it's more EA than Raw Data so set expectations accordingly.

I do have a friend that is getting a Vive tomorrow but I would have to convince him to get Raw Data. I might just stick with Sairento for now.

Zalusithix

I do have a friend that is getting a Vive tomorrow but I would have to convince him to get Raw Data. I might just stick with Sairento for now.

Ideally you'd get both anyhow. For all the similarities, they play very differently. Sairento has flexible builds/loadouts, loot drop elements, way more focus on traversal, copious bullet time, and the goal is pure slaughter. Raw Data is more about playing a specific "class", movement is more a means to an end rather than the goal, and the gameplay is more objective based requiring strategy (and cooperation). Sairento may evolve over time to be more than "kill everything that moves", but I doubt it'll ever feel like Raw Data. That sort of planning seems contrary to the freeform badassery that the game mechanics embrace.

Durante

Talking about coop in VR (since that's one of my favourite topics), where do we stand right now?
I can think of:
  • Raw Data
  • Arizona Sunshine
  • Serious Sam
for online coop, and VR The Diner Duo for (great) asymmetric local coop. Anything I'm missing?

Zalusithix

Talking about coop in VR (since that's one of my favourite topics), where do we stand right now?
I can think of:
  • Raw Data
  • Arizona Sunshine
  • Serious Sam
for online coop, and VR The Diner Duo for (great) asymmetric local coop. Anything I'm missing?

Off the top of my head: Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for asymmetric. QuiVR for online.

Durante

Right, QuiVR -- I even played the alpha/demo quite a lot. Does the release (well, EA) version feature custom/friend-only coop games?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
climbey is my ultimate coop game leaping to a friend who is hanging off a cliff holding out his hand and catching it is second to none as far as how i would rank them

climbey
raw data
arizona sunshine
serious sam first encounter
quivr
horde z

Zalusithix

Right, QuiVR -- I even played the alpha/demo quite a lot. Does the release (well, EA) version feature custom/friend-only coop games?

Couldn't say; I don't have the EA version. I was just pulling games from memory that had general multiplayer vs AI.

climbey is my ultimate coop game leaping to a friend who is hanging off a cliff holding out his hand and catching it is second to none as far as how i would rank them

climbey
raw data
arizona sunshine
serious sam first encounter
quivr
horde z

Climbey is an oddball. Could just as well classify it as competitive / team based.

I think it does. I know it's definitely planned if it isn't already in there.

Also add me on steam everyone! I need VR friends: Guitaratomik

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Climbey is an oddball. Could just as well classify it as competitive / team based.

depends how you play it there is no win or lose they give you a timer on your wrist and you can do what ever you want with that can use it to see who climbs faster or use it to just to see how long it takes you to coop your way across a level

Double D

Ignore the recommendation and play anyway. Mine is the same size.

You can just ignore the recommendations? How? My kid tried to play that Star Wars game and it prompted him to re-draw the room. Granted I haven't messed with it at all, I just saw the room requirements and figured that was that.

Zalusithix

You can just ignore the recommendations? How? My kid tried to play that Star Wars game and it prompted him to re-draw the room. Granted I haven't messed with it at all, I just saw the room requirements and figured that was that.

Unless something has changed, you have an option to ignore and play when starting up a game that requires a larger space than you have. Of course, you're on your own at that point as things might be out of reach in something like the SW experience where you have no means of moving around other than roomscale.

Any updates on Vive and Elite Dangerous? I want so much to just sell my rift but Elite Dangerous Vive support is so oddly poor in comparison to the Rift when it comes to both performance and image quality.

Zalusithix

Any updates on Vive and Elite Dangerous? I want so much to just sell my rift but Elite Dangerous Vive support is so oddly poor in comparison to the Rift when it comes to both performance and image quality.

I don't know how many people have both headsets to compare, but OpenVR has async reprojection now, so performance should at least be comparable to how it was for the Rift before ASW.

I don't know how many people have both headsets to compare, but OpenVR has async reprojection now, so performance should at least be comparable to how it was for the Rift before ASW.

I have both but have been unable to play much of anything, especially VR in over a month due to a new puppy in the house but ASW should be a great improvement. The sudden drops to 45 fps when the game dips at all was so jarring.

Zalusithix

I have both but have been unable to play much of anything, especially VR in over a month due to a new puppy in the house but ASW should be a great improvement. The sudden drops to 45 fps when the game dips at all was so jarring.

Just to be clear, OpenVR has ATW now, not ASW (Oculus and their similar acronyms). In the case of Elite, I'm not sure how much ASW would improve things over ATW though. Anyhow, from my memory based comparison, having async reprojection (ATW) for Elite did indeed help with the perceived performance. Cockpit games are more tolerant to reprojection than standing + tracked controller types.

Durante

Given the recent influx of new Vive owners (and the fact that I just recently went back to it and discovered quite a few things I had missed), I'd like to mention Waltz of the Wizard again. Together with The Lab, Google Earth, and Accounting it's one of the free Vive experiences that everyone should try. The level of interactivity with everything is great.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Given the recent influx of new Vive owners (and the fact that I just recently went back to it and discovered quite a few things I had missed), I'd like to mention Waltz of the Wizard again. Together with The Lab, Google Earth, and Accounting it's one of the free Vive experiences that everyone should try. The level of interactivity with everything is great.

The places you go when you play the xylophone are really neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom