• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only tried the demo on the PSVR, but IMO, no. Get ED, it is half that price and twice (if not more) the game. Use the other $20 to pick up a used HOTAS and voice attack.

To be fair theyre targeting different audiences, Valkyrie is a casual "jump in and have some space fights" game whereas ED is a deep space SIM, with complex controls.

That said I don't think I would recommend spending real money on Valkyrie...Unless you absolutely love space dog fights and you're willing to wait for multiplayer lobbies to fill up a bit.

Helznicht

To be fair theyre targeting different audiences, Valkyrie is a casual "jump in and have some space fights" game whereas ED is a deep space SIM, with complex controls.

That said I don't think I would recommend spending real money on Valkyrie...Unless you absolutely love space dog fights and you're willing to wait for multiplayer lobbies to fill up a bit.

That's what Elite Dangerous Arena is for and that's only $5 right now.

"That's what Elite Dangerous Arena is for and that's only $5 right now."

You'll probably be waiting even longer waiting for lobbies to fill up in ED:A.

elyetis

SuperHOT is the closest thing to Mario 64 of VR
It is very, very fun game.
But while I prefer the VR version to the original because of what VR bring to the experience, I still can't stop myself from feeling that :
- allowing locomotion would make it better ( nothing more frustrating than having a gun fall out of your reach and not being able to do anything about it )
- that content wise the game really could use getting Endless and Challenges from the original ( also hard to do without allowing locomotion ).

Vishnu

I just bought Superhot VR after hearing the Giantbomb podcasts, and man that game is amazing in VR.

It sucks that it's an exclusive, and it's not really making a good argument for VR (having exclusive games), but Revive was a breeze to install.

Superhot gave me the feeling like when I first put on VR again, the game is that good.
I really hope the market picks up fast, cause so far I was not really impressed with it, which could be my fault for jumping in to early.

So far my standouts are Raw Data, Space Pirate Trainer, and mainly Superhot VR.

kinggroin

Banned
It is very, very fun game.
But while I prefer the VR version to the original because of what VR bring to the experience, I still can't stop myself from feeling that :
- allowing locomotion would make it better ( nothing more frustrating than having a gun fall out of your reach and not being able to do anything about it )
- that content wise the game really could use getting Endless and Challenges from the original ( also hard to do without allowing locomotion ).

Can't argue that.

And I hope the developers are listening, because even just a simple "teleport to fixed areas" kind of system would be nice for those withimited space.

And yes. Agreed on the extra modes.

Really, I just can't get enough of the game.

lyrick

Wrapped up the available Vanishing Realms content last night.

Where do I find more games like that? The adventure oriented stuff (but not necessarily limited to fantasy), that game style is is exactly what I'm looking for... there's just not enough of it. Any suggestions?

You don't really want it. Better to find a way to use it without owning one. It's like a light gun game. Tons of fun in the arcade and you think, man, I wish I had one of these. Then you buy all the stuff for House of the Dead and then don't use it after the first week.

We still need some time for games to come out for it to be really cool. I wish I had a friend into gaming as I am. I'd have split the cost of one for shared ownership -- that'd be ideal.

Eh, I think it depends on what type of games you're in to. I'm personally drowning in VR games right now. Especially if you start adding in some of the Oculus stuff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You don't really want it. Better to find a way to use it without owning one. It's like a light gun game. Tons of fun in the arcade and you think, man, I wish I had one of these. Then you buy all the stuff for House of the Dead and then don't use it after the first week.

We still need some time for games to come out for it to be really cool. I wish I had a friend into gaming as I am. I'd have split the cost of one for shared ownership -- that'd be ideal.
nah I do want it!!
I've tested vr out at the store a bunch, and I'm turning my upstairs room into a game/vr room. Testing all the experimental jank is priority for me. I think it'll get a ton of use between me and my GF. Especially since I'll be able to leave it hooked up and ready to go at a moments notice.

Ferrio

Banned
Threw a New Years party at my new place, had a lot of people try out the vive. SuperHot was by far the game that impressed people the most. Even watching people play is fun and seeing how they approach each situation. Sweat became an issue for the first time though :(

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Where do I find more games like that? The adventure oriented stuff (but not necessarily limited to fantasy), that game style is is exactly what I'm looking for... there's just not enough of it. Any suggestions?

Have you tried The Gallery Episode 1 yet? There's no fighting but it is an exploration style game. It starts slow but gets pretty cool once you get out of the first area.

so i just downloaded the zip off the github for revive

I unzipped it and now I have a revive-master file

is that all I need? (besides oculus software etc)

there's an installer in the revive-master and it doesn't do anything when I click it (.nsi)

pls help i want to be superhot

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

yeah we need more dungeon crawlers and rpgs you might want to give spell fighter, left hand path or a legend of luca a try

Have you tried The Gallery Episode 1 yet? There's no fighting but it is an exploration style game. It starts slow but gets pretty cool once you get out of the first area.

Thanks for reminding me, I still need to try that. It came free with my Vive. I'm not usually much of an adventure-style game person, but maybe VR will change that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I only tried the demo on the PSVR, but IMO, no. Get ED, it is half that price and twice (if not more) the game. Use the other $20 to pick up a used HOTAS and voice attack.

I played the PSVR demo too, I just wanted to check because while I have ED I'm not a huge fan of the combat in that one (I prefer just trading for whatever reason in ED).

Zip_it007

I just got my Vive today, I'm really blown away. I'd tried it before at an in store demo and I've tried my friends Playstation VR, but it's so much more amazing than I thought it would be.

I really don't know how I'm going to go back to playing regular games.

I just got my Vive today, I'm really blown away. I'd tried it before at an in store demo and I've tried my friends Playstation VR, but it's so much more amazing than I thought it would be.

I really don't know how I'm going to go back to playing regular games.

I haven't since I got mine, I eventually will return to standard TV/Monitor games but at the moment I feel absolutely no desire as long as there is new VR stuff to explore.
I also don't see Audioshield getting old anytime soon.

Zip_it007

I haven't since I got mine, I eventually will return to standard TV/Monitor games but at the moment I feel absolutely no desire as long as there is new VR stuff to explore.
I also don't see Audioshield getting old anytime soon.

I'm in love with Audioshield. I've got my wife playing Castle Must Be Mine right now, so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting it back any time tonight.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hated Audioshield. It isn't a rhythm game. It's just colors coming at you with no regard to the music you have playing.

I hated Audioshield. It isn't a rhythm game. It's just colors coming at you with no regard to the music you have playing.

I guess it depends on the music and what Audioshield does with it, I've played a ton of songs and there are definitely differences in quality. If you have a very pronounced rythm then it works best, very fast heavy metal on the other hand can result in boring patterns with few globes coming at you.

Sometimes the game bugs out on me with youtube, then it really seems like the pattern doesn't follow the song. Play the song from HDD/SSD or restart the game and it works again (at least for me).

Totally agree. I tried loads of music and it had the same problem as every other rhythm game with machine generated patterns - it just can't generate interesting and consistent patterns.

Despite the pricing and uplay I must say that Eagle Flight is the most enjoyable full and VR only game I played so far. This comes really close to what I somehow expected from VR gaming.
Even with the forced controller use (which is not really an issue because you need only 3 buttons) and seated playing.

I have already enough short experiences and movies and I really would like to play full games. Any other (future) recommendations?

Mod-wise I heard a lot of praise for DOOM BFG and I remember that I liked the first 30 minutes of the Solus Project. Adrift was very disorientating but the sights were impressive.

Durante

Serious Sam TFE VR is the best thing since sliced bread.
In fact, I'm fully capable of slicing my own bread, so it's much better.

It starts pretty strong already, but the later levels are more aesthetically pleasing, and the huge bosses, massive number of enemies, and large-scale levels all add to the awesomeness.

Circle-tele-strafing a massive boss while firing on it with dual rocket launchers and seeing other people in coop do their thing is absolutely fantastic.

I really want to get TFE after hearing so many good things about it, but I kinda feel burned buying the Last Hope just last month. I'm going to wait for a sale on this new one. I'd honestly refund the Last Hope and get TFE if I still could.

Zalusithix

Totally agree. I tried loads of music and it had the same problem as every other rhythm game with machine generated patterns - it just can't generate interesting and consistent patterns.

It can certainly generate interesting patterns depending on the music you feed it. It won't generate consistent ones though due to the random seed aspect. Audioshield is very much a YMMV title. Enjoyment depends heavily on how well your music collection takes to the algorithm and how much you want to be able to memorize levels like traditional rhythm games. I've found enough content that works with the algorithm, and I like the fact that every time is slightly different as it allows me to replay those songs without ever feeling like I can just slack off.

Haven't played Minecraft in years but I tried Vivecraft and it's amazing. I suggest everyone give it a try if you own a copy, even if you're not usually a fan of Minecraft. The scale of the world is just great and the controls are very intuitive.

http://www.vivecraft.org/

dsk1210

Been really enjoying playing through Arizona Sunshine the last few days.

Feels like a proper game, bit of story, exploration, then some meaty gameplay.

Highly recommend.

I have the Windows 10 Minecraft. How do I get it to work?

Unless that's what Vivecraft is?

It requires the Java version.

I liked Vivecraft a lot, but I think I prefer the boring non-VR version. The scale feels off in VR since everything is made up of 1m x 1m blocks. Everything looks so huge!

SimplexPL

I am considering buying one of the VR covers for vive, but there are at least 4 types and I have no idea which to choose, and they are expensive, so I am afraid of making a bad decision :/

I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLRgk_kiUU and I was leaning towards 6mm version, but then I read some negative comments on amazon (many people complained it increases fogging) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HM4QB0Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - so I am undecided again.

I would be grateful for any advice from people who use covers (most preferably someone who has different variants :) ).

vermadas

I have the Windows 10 Minecraft. How do I get it to work?

Unless that's what Vivecraft is?

Minecraft Win10 has native "official" Oculus Rift and Touch support. Though I think it still lacks some VR features that Vivecraft has. Not sure if it works with ReVive.

lyrick

I notice that I incessantly wind my cord up by turning clockwise too much. Are games designed that way or am I predisposed to look over my right shoulder/pivot that direction more than the other.

Anybody have a similar issue?

Durante

I would be grateful for any advice from people who use covers (most preferably someone who has different variants :) ).
Personally I use these (the most basic type of VR cover really).

I simply wanted something which protects the foam and is easy to clean, while also not reducing comfort with glasses or having any other negative side-effects.

I'd say that the standard cotton fabric VR covers succeed very well at this. You get two, so you can simply exchange one for the other and put the used one into the washing machine to keep them clean. Comfort is not reduced at all, and to some extent I'd even say improved, since the fabric feels a bit nicer on my skin than the standard foam.

The only negative point is that correctly putting it on takes some getting used to, but it's not a big deal once you figure it out.

jahepi

It starts pretty strong already, but the later levels are more aesthetically pleasing, and the huge bosses, massive number of enemies, and large-scale levels all add to the awesomeness.

Circle-tele-strafing a massive boss while firing on it with dual rocket launchers and seeing other people in coop do their thing is absolutely fantastic.

I got that gem too on winter sales and it was so good, best experience i`ve had on a VR game, the last level was EPIC!, my arms still hurt lol

Onemic

It requires the Java version.

I liked Vivecraft a lot, but I think I prefer the boring non-VR version. The scale feels off in VR since everything is made up of 1m x 1m blocks. Everything looks so huge!

you can scale yourself in the world so it doesnt feel like that.

SimplexPL

Personally I use these (the most basic type of VR cover really).

I simply wanted something which protects the foam and is easy to clean, while also not reducing comfort with glasses or having any other negative side-effects.

I'd say that the standard cotton fabric VR covers succeed very well at this. You get two, so you can simply exchange one for the other and put the used one into the washing machine to keep them clean. Comfort is not reduced at all, and to some extent I'd even say improved, since the fabric feels a bit nicer on my skin than the standard foam.

The only negative point is that correctly putting it on takes some getting used to, but it's not a big deal once you figure it out.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am aware of those covers, but I am also considering a full cover replacement - I had lasik recently so I no longer need glasses (VR was among the reasons that convinced me to do it). That's why I am seriously considering 6mm ones.

Sheytan

Great game for sure, i use artificial locomotion myself.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I notice that I incessantly wind my cord up by turning clockwise too much. Are games designed that way or am I predisposed to look over my right shoulder/pivot that direction more than the other.

Anybody have a similar issue?

I do and it drives me absolutely mad. The Rift cord is too short and the Vive tends to wind itself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom