• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karak

DSCF8984.0.jpeg

Who has ears located here?

LOL indeed. But folks set it up to show the maximum throw on the device.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I should have looked up

Battery life from the larger 6,000mAh cell is rated for 2 hours

I think thats been the smaller battery estimate, they always talk about a larger one that goes in your pocket/fannypack and can do 5 hours.

I've never had issues with that ear straps. I have it wrapped so the original one falls the left and one falls to the right naturally. But someone must want it so that's cool it is out there.

Anyhow super excited about the wireless

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The price is too high for me to afford.

It seems HTC is going to introduces various peripherals to enhance the HTC Vive (and also fix the shortcomings of VR) in the next few years, listening to feedbacks and refining them, then integrate them into the HTC Vive 2 few years later. This is like Nintendo introducing the circle pad pro add-on for the 3DS , then launching the New 3DS with integrated circle pad pro.

I desperately want the wireless add-on, but at the same time I know holding out for the HTC Vive 2 will be the better financial move. This sucks but I think I'll be waiting for the Vive 2 rather than investing in these peripherals.

" and a real baseball bat with a tracker on one end."

I don't know if I should legally be allowed to own one of those with how small my roomscale setup is.

You don't need to attach to a full length real bat right? I feel this will have the same result with a smaller, cylindrical accessories. Of cause it wouldn't be as accurate due to the weight but it'll be more practical for consumers.

Durante

I'm still really curious for in-depth, long-term independent testing of the TPCast.
If it does well in that, then I'll certainly consider it.

Wollan

The Vive Deluxe Audio Strap is so bought. The built-in headphones is the best standout feature of the Oculus Rift vs the competition.

Zalusithix

The timing of the official headband replacement announcement couldn't be worse for that rEvolve product. Granted it doesn't have the flip feature and the pressure is still on the face, but still. Then again, it looks like the headphones are non-removable on the official one. Given they're the supra-aural type that I absolutely detest, that'd make it a non-starter for me. Hopefully it turns out they are detachable, but given the product name "Deluxe Audio Strap", I'm not holding out much hope.

The tracking pucks on the other hand... Those are extremely interesting to me. A unified block to handle the tracking and transmission, but capable of being interfaced with via an Arduino? That opens up a world of opportunities for custom input devices without needing an EE degree. Please let them not be expensive.. I need like four of them to test some ideas lol. Edit: I wonder if they have any haptic feedback in them; if not, the communication is going to have to be bidirectional between the puck and the microcontroller.

I think the Tracker will be a really cool "core" for a lot of Vive accessories, kind of like how the Wiimote was used. Also, VR guns, which fuck yeah.

Question though, how does the tracker know the orientation of the rifle? I see some contacts on the bottom, might that be used?

In for TPCast. I hope they offer the bigger battery though. Torn on the audio strap. If I buy another strap, I'd prefer it to be something like the rEvolve solution with the flip front and weight redistribution.

Cartman86

Banned
The Frankenstein craziness of the headphones and wireless are so off-putting. I'm obviously going to get them. I'm the 32X, Sega CD guy after all, but I can already see being very annoyed by the weight on the top of my head along with the extra wires bundled all along the top and sides of this thing. Wish they would just release another headset with it all built in. Turbo Duo/Famicom Twin flash backs.

Zalusithix

That's what I'm wondering.

Well, it won't be able to support more than the max OpenVR allows (k_unMaxTrackedDeviceCount = 16), so that's the upper margin ;). Beyond that, the transceiver chips used have a 2Mbps max transmission rate, and there's two of them on the headset so ~4Mbps max bandwidth there shared between Tx and Rx. Also worth noting is the chip has a "MultiCeiver" mode which I quote:

Up to six RF Transceivers configured as PTX can communicate with one RF Transceiver configured as
PRX. All data pipe addresses are searched for simultaneously. Only one data pipe can receive a packet at
a time. All data pipes can perform Enhanced ShockBurst™ functionality.

That would allow a total theoretical device count of 12 to the headset (bandwidth permitting). Now, how much each controller uses is beyond me. I supposed someone (more knowledgeable than me on the subject) could physically connect one to the PC and monitor the data since when wired it bypasses the wireless communication to the headset AFAIK.

Edit:
Question though, how does the tracker know the orientation of the rifle? I see some contacts on the bottom, might that be used?
Those contacts should provide both an absolute positioning mechanism when combined with the mounting screw hole, and an interface by which it communicate with the puck.

Compsiox

Banned
The actual peripherals shouldn't include the tracker but should allow a person to attach the tracker to it.

Is that what they're going for?

TheRed

Wow this all sounds awesome. Wish I had a bigger room to play in to really make use of wireless I'll probably be ok staying wired, since chaperone comes up so fast anyway. Really want those trackers though! Will be great to see all the things we can do with them.
Also I might go for the audio strap.

Really glad they went this way to upgrading the Vive and not going straight to Vive 2 until probably 2018. I wouldn't be able to keep up and I doubt a lot of others would be too.

Zalusithix

The actual peripherals shouldn't include the tracker but should allow a person to attach the tracker to it.

Is that what they're going for?

There'd be nothing stopping a peripheral maker from providing a puck with their product I don't think, but there's a cost benefit to simply offloading it to the user. Combined with the interchangeable / reusable nature of them, and it's kind of a feature. Pay once for tracking, and use it for any compatible devices. That said, there's nothing stopping peripherals from using custom lighthouse tracking integration. This just makes it extremely easy for any company or hobbyist to get tracked devices in VR quickly and easily.

Also just noticed that the OpenVR header file has a class for the pucks as of the last update: TrackedDeviceClass_GenericTracker.

Really glad they went this way to upgrading the Vive and not going straight to Vive 2 until probably 2018. I wouldn't be able to keep up and I doubt a lot of others would be too.
Yep, this was the right way to go. Doesn't screw recent adopters, and expands the potential capabilities and thus overall market. Icing on the cake will be if Valve releases their prototype controllers an an optional accessory in the first half of this year.

On an unrelated note, I like the recent changes made to Sairento. Moving bullet time to its own function that can be activated whenever is great. It allows precise timing on wherever you'd like it to happen in a jump, or right before a bullet would hit you to reflect it back. And speaking of bullets, there sure are a heck of a lot more of them flying around with the more aggressive AI on the higher difficulties. Combine the two together along with the need to actually cut an NPC with the blade now instead of merely touching them, and it's a much more satisfying experience. Still a lot of stuff for the devs to work on, but it's nice to see progress and a regular update cadence. Looking forward to seeing how they tackle stuff like wall running this year.

Tain

I'll definitely grab the audio strap if priced right. I've been wanting something like that ever since using the Rift CV1.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The Frankenstein craziness of the headphones and wireless are so off-putting. I'm obviously going to get them. I'm the 32X, Sega CD guy after all, but I can already see being very annoyed by the weight on the top of my head along with the extra wires bundled all along the top and sides of this thing. Wish they would just release another headset with it all built in. Turbo Duo/Famicom Twin flash backs.

I don't think another headset with all these build in will be a good idea right now, considering that there are numerous sensational clickbait sites out there that cant wait to use it to put VR into bad light. I can imagine the headlines now.

"Early adopters got screwed! HTC announces Vive 2!"
"Here's why you shouldn't buy a VR headset yet: HTC announcing Vive 2 within Vive launch year"
"If i knew they are going to make a Vive 2 so quickly i wouldn't have buy a HTC Vive now"
"Why should i buy a Vive 2 when Vive 3 is coming out early next year?"

We already have bunch of bs rumors about Vive 2 announcing at CES from those shitty sites. They will be spreading new shits if it happen.

RedRum

Banned
New Vive owner as of yesterday. Ordered from Amazon. Should be here by next week. I'm insanely excited.

Any tips, tricks, or worries I need to note?

sneas78

Banned
Quick question guys ... for the wireless adapter .. who do we go to ... to cut the wires coming from the headset a little shorter for the wireless adapter.. it would be a pile of wires directly to the adapter as is.. anyone know of a place to cut the wires shorter?

"Quick question guys ... for the wireless adapter .. who do we go to ... to cut the wires coming from the head set a little shorter for the wireless adapter.. it would be a pile of wires directly to the adapter as is.. anyone know of a place to cut the wires shorter?"

There's absolutely no way the wireless adapter won't include the proper length cables.

FuturusX

Quick question guys ... for the wireless adapter .. who do we go to ... to cut the wires coming from the headset a little shorter for the wireless adapter.. it would be a pile of wires directly to the adapter as is.. anyone know of a place to cut the wires shorter?

The CEO of the company mentioned that their setup replaces the existing wires to the HMD in this interview: https://youtu.be/hltCo84dVPY?t=48s

So shouldn't be an issue.

You just replace them. If you pop off the cover where the wires enter the device, they are just plugged in like regular hdmi/usb/power.

Playing audioshield over the last days I've come to a realisation about the Vive controllers compared to Oculus touch.

I tilt and turn the controllers and change position of my hands on them pretty often so the shields have different positions/angles throughout a song.
As far as I know, that would be impossible with Oculus touch, same with sword handles and everything else that has a similar shape, you'd have to tilt and twist your entire hand there.
While the Oculus touch may feel more natural as a replacement for your hands in VR, they are less versatile for everything else.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I wonder if I won't be more annoyed having to constantly recharge the wireless accessory vs using the cable (which I forget most of the time).

Awesome news though.

MaLDo

HTC Vive is the headset designed by Valve and manufactured by HTC, right? In the Vive blog they talk as if Vive is an independant thing (Vive unveils..., Viveport, Vive Team, "At Vive, we're laying..."). Who are Vive now?

Crispy75

HTC Vive is the headset designed by Valve and manufactured by HTC, right? In the Vive blog they talk as if Vive is an independant thing (Vive unveils..., Viveport, Vive Team, "At Vive, we’re laying..."). Who are Vive now?

HTC spun off the Vive business into its own subsidiary, so that the rapidly-sinking mobile phone part of the business doesn't drag it down. You're seeing this "new" compnay assert its own brand.

Durante

I'm not really much into integrated headphones, but the strap looks interesting otherwise. Of course, so does the rEvolve. I hope the latter make their design compatible with TPCast, so that all these options can be combined depending on what you are looking for.

I certainly hope they start selling discounted bundles with these new attachments included. I'm not sure when I'm going to pick up a Vive, but I certainly want the deluxe audio strap and would love if I could just buy a single package with that already included.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, I have both headsets, but not Touch. Of course, my opinion on just the HMDs is a matter of public record.

Maiden Voyage has both IIRC.

I do!

Considering getting a VR headset again after selling my Vive months ago. Not sure if I should go with what I know or try the Oculus with touch. I'm leaning that way because of the positive reviews but wondering if anyone here had both headsets? Would like some advice, obviously I know the Vive, but I haven't been keeping up with VR stuff for a long time now. Anything I should be aware of? Is supersampling as easy to do on the Oculus as the Vive? Do I play it safe and get another Vive?

What was the reason you got rid of your Vive?
Are you cool with just standing games or is room-scale a must-have for you?
What games interest you the most for VR?
Do you wear glasses? If so, how was the fit with the Vive for you the first go round?

I can give you some feedback about the difference between the two but my impressions won't mean much unless I know what you disliked about the Vive and what interests you in the Rift + Touch.

Durante

I just found the answer to my earlier tracking puck question about bandwidth!

Apparently each puck comes with a USB dongle (I don't know yet whether you can attach multiple ones to a single dongle)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Playing audioshield over the last days I've come to a realisation about the Vive controllers compared to Oculus touch.

I tilt and turn the controllers and change position of my hands on them pretty often so the shields have different positions/angles throughout a song.
As far as I know, that would be impossible with Oculus touch, same with sword handles and everything else that has a similar shape, you'd have to tilt and twist your entire hand there.
While the Oculus touch may feel more natural as a replacement for your hands in VR, they are less versatile for everything else.

I tried to play Audioshield on my Rift w/ Touch to test it out but the Rift has me 6 feet under the floor whereas the Vive has me at the proper height. I may do some more tinkering with it this weekend when I have some time.
The only real limit to the Touch controllers so far is how many of the stands you have. I've only got 2 so proper roomscale is not really an option for me in my office. My actual play space in the office is pretty small as well.

I'm not really much into integrated headphones, but the strap looks interesting otherwise. Of course, so does the rEvolve. I hope the latter make their design compatible with TPCast, so that all these options can be combined depending on what you are looking for.

I'm actually surprised at how many people are satisfied with the built-in headphones on the Rift. They were ugly and the first thing I did with the headset was to remove them. I'm going to have to put them back on and give it a go to see what the fuss is about.

I think I'm also one of the few who prefers the ski google style headband strap on the Vive. It's far more comfortable to me than the hard back of the Rift. The Vive makes taking the headset off while wearing glasses much easier for me.

New Vive owner as of yesterday. Ordered from Amazon. Should be here by next week. I'm insanely excited.

Any tips, tricks, or worries I need to note?

Tips:
  • Charge the controllers while you set up your light houses.
  • Take your time setting things up.
  • If you have a ceiling fan or anything else that will block your lighthouses, use the connector cable and make sure the lighthouses are on the proper channel.
  • Install the games/experiences you want while you wait for the Vive to arrive.
  • Install different types of games to give yourself options. There are a ton of wave-based shooters and it can be easy to forget there are other types of games and experiences available. Feel free to ask for opinions in this thread.
  • Respect the guarding boundary box. Things can get really exciting and you can forget you're actually in a room with electronics, shelving, lighting, etc. If you see the guardian/boundary box, step back into your center. I frequently move to the center before I teleport in games as a habit to prevent me from crashing into things.

Tricks:
  • If you want to extend your play area to a room that is different than your PC, get a long HDMI cable and a long USB cable. I bought 25ft each. They run my PC in my office to the breakout box that's in my living room.
  • I have a Steam Link hooked up to my TV in the livingroom. Streaming from my PC to the Link while in VR, the Link displays the game perfectly, without any tinkering needed for those who may want to watch.
  • Join the NeoGAF VR Steam group if you want to find folks to Co-Op with. So far I've only played Raw Data (poorly) with a GAF member, but it was far more enjoyable than going solo. Send me a PM with a link to your Steam profile if you'd like to join.

Worries:
  • The only annoyance for me is the cord becoming wound up easily. Durante had an excellent post a page or two back about using OpenVR advanced setting to monitor your turns. I haven't had a chance to try it out but it's high on my VR priority list.

I just found the answer to my earlier tracking puck question about bandwidth!

Apparently each puck comes with a USB dongle (I don't know yet whether you can attach multiple ones to a single dongle)

I would hope multiple pucks can attach to a single dongle. That might get a bit crazy if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom