• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

OpenVR Advanced Settings has an indicator of how many CW/CCW rotations you did so that you can try to keep them roughly the same by changing your rotation direction.

I got that gem too on winter sales and it was so good, best experience i`ve had on a VR game, the last level was EPIC!, my arms still hurt lol
It's awesome. I hope they also port the second one over (I guess they will if the first is successful).

Haven't played Minecraft in years but I tried Vivecraft and it's amazing. I suggest everyone give it a try if you own a copy, even if you're not usually a fan of Minecraft. The scale of the world is just great and the controls are very intuitive.

http://www.vivecraft.org/

The installation is amazingly seamless. It took 5 minutes and I could play it already. I only have to figure why I have no sound.

//edit...adding Minecraft to Steam solved the sound issue.

I notice that I incessantly wind my cord up by turning clockwise too much. Are games designed that way or am I predisposed to look over my right shoulder/pivot that direction more than the other.

Anybody have a similar issue?

fzim7eV.jpg

But seriously, yes. Wireless needs to get here asap.

Is there a way to unplug the headset without having to restart SteamVR? My solution is just to unplug it every once and awhile to unwind it, but the headset is always off after plugging it in (though tracking apparently still works).

Zalusithix

fzim7eV.jpg

But seriously, yes. Wireless needs to get here asap.

Is there a way to unplug the headset without having to restart SteamVR? My solution is just to unplug it every once and awhile to unwind it, but the headset is always off after plugging it in (though tracking apparently still works).

Why not just do it the other way? I just let the headset dangle by the cable and let it spin to get the cable unwound before usage.

Zalusithix

That was my first instinct, but I worried it would put too much stress on the connections over time. Maybe I just worry too much.

Compared to the force that the headset endures when max cable length is reached and it pulls on/out of the link box, supporting the headset weight is nothing. I mean, it's not as if you're playing cowboy and using the headset as a lasso; it's just lightly dangling there and spinning freely.

cakefoo

It can certainly generate interesting patterns depending on the music you feed it. It won't generate consistent ones though due to the random seed aspect. Audioshield is very much a YMMV title. Enjoyment depends heavily on how well your music collection takes to the algorithm and how much you want to be able to memorize levels like traditional rhythm games. I've found enough content that works with the algorithm, and I like the fact that every time is slightly different as it allows me to replay those songs without ever feeling like I can just slack off.
Sadly, I can only recall one song where I felt the chart was good enough to want to replay it.

Some people just have more strict expectations for rhythm games.

I am considering buying one of the VR covers for vive, but there are at least 4 types and I have no idea which to choose, and they are expensive, so I am afraid of making a bad decision :/

I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLRgk_kiUU and I was leaning towards 6mm version, but then I read some negative comments on amazon (many people complained it increases fogging) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HM4QB0Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - so I am undecided again.

I would be grateful for any advice from people who use covers (most preferably someone who has different variants :) ).

Those are the kind I own (I own the cloth version too), and I've never had fogging. I'm sure humidity plays a factor though. Said many times, but I can't imagine using the headset without it now.

Wait, so there's no way to go back and replay the campaign in Superhot from the beginning other than going in and deleting your local saved file in your appdata folder? What kind of nonsense is this? I know there's a level select but I want to do the whole thing again uninterrupted, not in 5-10 second chunks.

This needs to be fixed.

Ferrio

Banned
Haven't played Minecraft in years but I tried Vivecraft and it's amazing. I suggest everyone give it a try if you own a copy, even if you're not usually a fan of Minecraft. The scale of the world is just great and the controls are very intuitive.

http://www.vivecraft.org/

Thanks for this, unfortunately my friend's server isn't on the same version. I don't play anymore but I'd of loved to see my all the stuff they made in VR.

Really cool none the less, glad I upgraded my video card.

Cartman86

Banned
Wait, so there's no way to go back and replay the campaign in Superhot from the beginning other than going in and deleting your local saved file in your appdata folder? What kind of nonsense is this? I know there's a level select but I want to do the whole thing again uninterrupted, not in 5-10 second chunks.

This needs to be fixed.

This in general for VR is real bad right now. Every game should either have save slot settings in-game while wearing the headset or at the very least put it on the monitor view (like how Job Sim and Fantastic Contraption have controls for the person outside of VR demonstrating). Makes a lot of sense to allow the owner of the account to control everything for guests from the outside.

Thanks for this, unfortunately my friend's server isn't on the same version. I don't play anymore but I'd of loved to see my all the stuff they made in VR.

Really cool none the less, glad I upgraded my video card.

You might be able to just grab a local copy of the save and load it up in single player. I'm not sure how exactly that stuff works or if that's possible. I know you can do that in games like Starbound and Terraria.

Looking to get Arizona sunshine. How's everyone liking it?

The campaign's great. Horde mode is also good, but it is a pain in the ass to ever find anyone with matchmaking. The one game I did get into went fine. The IK on the characters was a bit funky as is the case with many games, but that's relatively minor overall when compared to the solid gameplay (and isn't an issue in single player since you can't see yourself). Weapons felt great, sound design was good, campaign had a natural progression, good environments and good graphics. My biggest complaint with the gameplay is that there really isn't melee combat. I wish I could have picked up a baseball bat and whacked some zombie heads in.

As long as you get it with the intention of doing single player campaign/horde primarily, I think it's worth the $30 I paid for it. I'd imagine that they're going to start working on fixing the matchmaking though, and also make it cross platform now that holidays are over so hopefully that part improves.

Durante

Looking to get Arizona sunshine. How's everyone liking it?
It's a fun campaign to play through once. A good combination of graphics, solid gameplay, and amusing VO. This type of story-driven FPS experience is still quite rare in VR.

That said, the gameplay is a bit simplistic compared to some of the alternatives. E.g. Serious Sam The First Encounter obviously has less modern graphics and less of a story focus, but is more technically accomplished, has more content, and its gameplay is more exhilarating and varied if you can deal with rapid movement.

Lemonte

Haven't used Vive in 2 months except when Google earth was released I tried it few minutes.Yesterday I tried updating headset firmware. It failed half way. SteamVR couldn't find any vive components but luckily unplugging and re plugging breakout box fixed it. Now I'm scared to try updating Vive firmware again :(

Haven't used Vive in 2 months except when Google earth was released I tried it few minutes.Yesterday I tried updating headset firmware. It failed half way. SteamVR couldn't find any vive components but luckily unplugging and re plugging breakout box fixed it. Now I'm scared to try updating Vive firmware again :(

I had the same happening to me, had to rebuild the firmware which was an automatic process thankfully (window popped up). Also haven't tried to update the firmaware again since then.

SimplexPL

Is anyone here familiar with 3d printing of Vive accessories? Such as weapon frames for shooters? My friend has this printer: http://3dprinterforsale.website/pro...inter-3d-printer-kossel-delta-3d-printer-kit/

It was quite cheap, I have no idea if it is good enough to print Vive accessories. I am interested in some kind of gun model where you can attach vive controllers, but I don't know which one is worth printing - there are multiple versions on thingverse. Any pointers?

Here's what I found:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1696715

https://www.thingiverse.com/Alien_Identity/designs/page:1?sort=&filter=all&search=rifle - multiple models

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1775462

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1745148

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1776502

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1859601

Banzai

I still feel very anxious about maybe buying a Vive sometime around april. Dropping 900€ on entertainment is absolutely something I can only do once this maybe decade. It's scary to me to think something so expensive could be obsolete in a year or two. I so hope CES at least brings an announcement of some sort of refresh at least.
...Even though they said there would be no "Vive 2" announcements.

New patch notes for SteamVR Beta has a couple cool changes:

General:
  • Added a new transition UI that appears when an application is starting, stopping, or not currently rendering. In some applications it will appear during level transitions.
  • Added a new system skybox that shows when an application is running but not rendering instead of the user’s configured skybox (and environment.) The user’s skybox and environment will still show when no application is running.

Full patch notes

SomTervo

I still feel very anxious about maybe buying a Vive sometime around april. Dropping 900€ on entertainment is absolutely something I can only do once this maybe decade. It's scary to me to think something so expensive could be obsolete in a year or two. I so hope CES at least brings an announcement of some sort of refresh at least.

They said that?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

If you can only afford to splurge on something like this once a decade, I think you are better off waiting for prices to come down. As much as I want to see the community grow, buying the gear is just the first step--games are expensive to help recoup development costs.

They said that?

Yep.

Durante

It won't be obsolete, but I'd be incredibly disappointed if there wasn't a significantly better device at a lower price out there 2 years from now.

I'm the first to insist that VR is already well worth it, but if you are that restricted in your entertainment expenses it really might be smarter to still wait a bit.

I'm wondering what everyones go to racing game is. Anyone?
I don't really like traditional racing games so I'm probably the wrong person to answer, but my go-to is Radial-G.

Why are you so set on buying in April of this year?

If I could only make one large entertainment purchase a decade, I would only ever buy products that were released in the past couple months (or heavily discounted). It may well be another two years before a new Vive is released—but on a ten-year timescale, two years isn't all that long.

The rEvolve from SynergyWiz is going to Kickstarter soon.

Kickstarter Video

Other than it being pretty ugly and unwieldy looking, I think this is the head strap replacement I've been waiting for. The only issues I see are that you wouldn't be able to mount any of the currently announced wireless adaptors like TPCast, and I hope you can use over the ear headphones with it.

atom519

This needs to be fixed.

Yeah, seeing as the game slowly teaches you how to play via the in-game tutorial I was rather surprised there wasn't an option to start fresh. Not sure what the devs intended people to do when wanting to show it off to others? I tried to find the very first level via the stage select but had no luck, maybe I'm blind.

I have since deleted the save game file like 4 times now while demoing Super Hot. Pretty stupid.

Yeah, seeing as the game slowly teaches you how to play via the in-game tutorial I was rather surprised there wasn't an option to start fresh. Not sure what the devs intended people to do when wanting to show it off to others? I tried to find the very first level via the stage select but had no luck, maybe I'm blind.

I have since deleted the save game file like 4 times now while demoing Super Hot. Pretty stupid.

I don't think many VR devs are actually thinking about this at all. So few offer multiple save slots or profiles.

Zalusithix

The rEvolve from SynergyWiz is going to Kickstarter soon.

Kickstarter Video

Other than it being pretty ugly and unwieldy looking, I think this is the head strap replacement I've been waiting for. The only issues I see are that you wouldn't be able to mount any of the currently announced wireless adaptors like TPCast, and I hope you can use over the ear headphones with it.

Better be one sturdy flip hinge, as looking down will have gravity attempting to flip it "up". Conveniently they never show anybody actually looking down.

Considering getting a VR headset again after selling my Vive months ago. Not sure if I should go with what I know or try the Oculus with touch. I'm leaning that way because of the positive reviews but wondering if anyone here had both headsets? Would like some advice, obviously I know the Vive, but I haven't been keeping up with VR stuff for a long time now. Anything I should be aware of? Is supersampling as easy to do on the Oculus as the Vive? Do I play it safe and get another Vive?

Durante

Well, I have both headsets, but not Touch. Of course, my opinion on just the HMDs is a matter of public record.

Maiden Voyage has both IIRC.

Better be one sturdy flip hinge, as looking down will have gravity attempting to flip it "up". Conveniently they never show anybody actually looking down.
That was my immediate (and primary) concern.

That was my immediate (and primary) concern.

I asked about it on Reddit and this was the reply I got:

jtworks said:
Sure thing, the front hinge will be well reinforced and will lock in the up and down positions with a single hand. The design is not 100% finished, so we do not go into more detail in the video. We should have the final design before the Kickstarter ends and will update everyone when it is complete.

kinggroin

Banned
Considering getting a VR headset again after selling my Vive months ago. Not sure if I should go with what I know or try the Oculus with touch. I'm leaning that way because of the positive reviews but wondering if anyone here had both headsets? Would like some advice, obviously I know the Vive, but I haven't been keeping up with VR stuff for a long time now. Anything I should be aware of? Is supersampling as easy to do on the Oculus as the Vive? Do I play it safe and get another Vive?

Main changes since you left:

Oculus touch are easier to hold and allow for granular finger control.

The rift can do room tracking with two cameras, but it's not nearly as accurate and coverage is very limited.

The rift can do room tracking with three cameras, but it's still less accurate and coverage isn't as large, but much better than two. More USB resources however.

-------

The Vive is pretty much the same as it always was. There are just a ton more amazing games worth playing, including the ones on the Oculus Home store.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

The biggest announcement from HTC was the optional wireless upgrade, though leaks towards the end of 2016 ruined the surprise of the announcement just a bit. Still, it's nice to have confirmation that official wireless support will be coming to the Vive via their partnership with TPCAST in 2017. HTC confirmed that the wireless upgrade device will be globally available for pre-order later in Q1 2017 for $249, with delivery to consumers in Q2 of this year.
Dang. Wow and that generic tracker is really exciting too. I've been wondering about sometihng like that for a while! How exciting!

The Vive w/ the deluxe audio strap the the TPcast on it it looks so gloriously Gen1 and frankensteinishly badass.

Karak

Dang. Wow and that generic tracker is really exciting too. I've been wondering about sometihng like that for a while! How exciting!

The Vive w/ the deluxe audio strap the the TPcast on it it looks so gloriously Gen1 and frankensteinishly badass.

There should be a couple smaller announcements as well coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom