• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do!

What was the reason you got rid of your Vive?
Are you cool with just standing games or is room-scale a must-have for you?
What games interest you the most for VR?
Do you wear glasses? If so, how was the fit with the Vive for you the first go round?

I can give you some feedback about the difference between the two but my impressions won't mean much unless I know what you disliked about the Vive and what interests you in the Rift + Touch.

I got rid of it because it was just sitting in its box for weeks at a time because I was very uninterested in yet another shooting gallery game, but with more and more racing games receiving functionality and things like Super Hot coming out now the future seems promising.

As for hardware, I didn't like the trackpads on the controllers and would be much happier with analogue sticks. Roomscale was fine, it was nice to have the option but I found after a day at work the last thing I wanted to do was to start moving around a lot, but I did love Rec Room and Hardpoint (probably the wrong name, it was the archery game where you shot boxes and ninjas)

The quality of the visuals were fine, but at the time I only had a 980ti, so couldn't really push supersampling very far and games like Elite looked like complete and utter ass. I'm expecting better now I have a Titan X Pascal.

I still haven't tried a Rift, so I'm not sure if the image quality is better, I have read so many conflicting opinions and you never know if they're coming from an unbiased source and I would be looking to push the resolution of games on Oculus if that is possible.

I don't wear glasses so that was never an issue.

lyrick

re: initial Vive setup

Your light houses will need a firmware update after unpacking which requires plugging them into a usb port and following the prompts through Steam VR . Update them before mounting them in a difficult to get to area. The Controllers and headset will too, but they're always more accessible.

Also reboot your PC before driving yourself crazy double and triple checking all your physical connections, disconnecting all your other peripherals, removing monitors, swapping out HDMIs for Display ports etc.

Helznicht

The quality of the visuals were fine, but at the time I only had a 980ti, so couldn't really push supersampling very far and games like Elite looked like complete and utter ass. I'm expecting better now I have a Titan X Pascal.

Elite has had a patch that improved things slightly, that with the new async reprojection in the Vive, has made a noticeable improvement in Elite for me, with a gtx970.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I got rid of it because it was just sitting in its box for weeks at a time because I was very uninterested in yet another shooting gallery game, but with more and more racing games receiving functionality and things like Super Hot coming out now the future seems promising.

As for hardware, I didn't like the trackpads on the controllers and would be much happier with analogue sticks. Roomscale was fine, it was nice to have the option but I found after a day at work the last thing I wanted to do was to start moving around a lot, but I did love Rec Room and Hardpoint (probably the wrong name, it was the archery game where you shot boxes and ninjas)

I still haven't tried a Rift, so I'm not sure if the image quality is better, I have read so many conflicting opinions and you never know if they're coming from an unbiased source and I would be looking to push the resolution of games on Oculus if that is possible.

In general, you sound pretty meh on roomscale. Racing games do not benefit from it. SuperHot VR is pretty much standing--you're not really twisting and moving around the play space.
The controllers are far more traditional than the Vive wands. I have not really tried a game that has a locomotive system similar to Rec Room (where the track pad is used to determine depth of teleport location) yet so I can't give you proper feedback on that yet.

There are more games now, yes. Truly, there aren't a ton with the same polish that SuperHot VR has. There are some good Early Access titles. I don't know if it's enough to satisfy your want for non-shooting gallery style gameplay.
Games that do use roomscale will require a third sensor on the Rift to be considered roomscale.
Roomscale on the Rift is currently 'experimental'. I've got the two base stations so I don't know the quality of Oculus' roomscale.
Graphical fidelity is pretty much the same across both displays. If you're super picky, this will probably not hold true. The only noticeable difference I have seen is that the Rift has more god rays for some reason. This usually isn't noticeable in game for me, only really notice it during load screens.
The Rift has more light bleed through the nose area than the Vive.

That said, if you have a Best Buy nearby, they may be demoing Rift + Touch still. I live in the middle of nowhere and they had a demo running. Swing by sometime and check it out.

I would say maybe wait another 6 months and revisit the games then. If you can't wait, I'd say give the Rift + Touch a go based on your dislike of the trackpads and lack of use of roomscale.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
re: initial Vive setup

Your light houses will need a firmware update after unpacking which requires plugging them into a usb port and following the prompts through Steam VR . Update them before mounting them in a difficult to get to area. The Controllers and headset will too, but they're always more accessible.

Also reboot your PC before driving yourself crazy double and triple checking all your physical connections, disconnecting all your other peripherals, removing monitors, swapping out HDMIs for Display ports etc.

I'd also add that if you have an nVidia GPU, note that driver updates can trigger weird issues with the headset. I updated mine and it shut down my ability to use the Vive and Rift. After rolling back a version, they both worked fine. I'm on the current drivers (376.33) with no issues.

I'd also add that if you have an nVidia GPU, note that driver updates can trigger weird issues with the headset. I updated mine and it shut down my ability to use the Vive and Rift. After rolling back a version, they both worked fine. I'm on the current drivers (376.33) with no issues.

How come it seems that it's reversed nvidia use to be stable as you could get 10+ years ago and ati was driver Russian roulette each time you did a install.. no the opposite seems true..

Not really going off on nvidia as I haven't had and drive issues with my 970 or 1070 but I also don't tend to update my drivers immediately.

Zalusithix

I just found the answer to my earlier tracking puck question about bandwidth!

Apparently each puck comes with a USB dongle (I don't know yet whether you can attach multiple ones to a single dongle)

If multiple pucks can connect to one receiver, then it's as simple as putting the aux USB port on the headset to use. If every puck needs its own receiver then a Vive setup with a lot of tracker pucks will start looking like an Oculus one with the USB usage. ;)

I really like this route HTC is taking of letting the users upgrade/add to the existing Vive without forcing them to buy an entire new headset for every improvement.

I'm almost definitely in for that audio strap. Not sure I believe that wireless is actually going to work well enough yet.

These new upgrades look great, especially the new strap.
I'd be very tempted to switch from Rift to Vive with these bits once they've released some improved controllers.

Zalusithix

I really like this route HTC is taking of letting the users upgrade/add to the existing Vive without forcing them to buy an entire new headset for every improvement.
Being a modular system has always been one of the marketing points of the Vive, and the lighthouse tracking system / OpenVR is inherently extensible. It's just that by the time this stuff is available, it will have taken us about a year to reap the benefits. Better late than never though. On the bright side, the tracking pucks should be future proof allowing cross generation longevity. They should continue to work for as long as lighthouse tracking exists, and I don't see anything else on the horizon that'll provide high precision / low latency tracking of both headsets and controllers/devices. (We'll see what the Windows Holographic controllers end up being.) Their usability is also independent from HTC as a vendor for subsequent headsets.

Mind you, there's nothing stopping Oculus from doing something similar with their tracking system. However, given that they're probably going to chuck their tracking for the next headset, there's no sense making people buy a bunch of accessories that'll likely end up expensive blinking IR paperweights after a year or so of ownership.

Playing audioshield over the last days I've come to a realisation about the Vive controllers compared to Oculus touch.

I tilt and turn the controllers and change position of my hands on them pretty often so the shields have different positions/angles throughout a song.
As far as I know, that would be impossible with Oculus touch, same with sword handles and everything else that has a similar shape, you'd have to tilt and twist your entire hand there.
While the Oculus touch may feel more natural as a replacement for your hands in VR, they are less versatile for everything else.

I think that's been the general consensus for a while. Touch is more natural as a replacement for hands. Vive wands are are more natural for when you're holding objects like guns.

I have no problem with modular VR right now. We are still as enthusiast grade remember. Better though to add functionality rather than just to toss out the old one for the new.

I'll be in for the audio strap and of course wireless. I just got wireless headphones for use with the Vive, but it'll be worth the purchase for the strap alone.

I'm a bit more skeptical of the tracking puck. What I wanted out of tracked accessories is stuff like a gun, where I want the trigger to be functional. I suppose you could make it work via the usb port on the puck, but I'm waiting to see how it shakes out.

I just found the answer to my earlier tracking puck question about bandwidth!

Apparently each puck comes with a USB dongle (I don't know yet whether you can attach multiple ones to a single dongle)

The puck accessories are the most exciting thing to me. The Vive controllers are great (and feel great to hold) but something like two-handed sword usage in Raw Data feels awkward. Imagine if you could just buy a Vive sword that comes with weights so you can make it as light or heavy as you want. Make it heavy for a two-handed sword, or light for a one-handed sword or dagger. Being able to buy new things that match the type of game your playing will be so, so nice.

[*]If you want to extend your play area to a room that is different than your PC, get a long HDMI cable and a long USB cable. I bought 25ft each. They run my PC in my office to the breakout box that's in my living room.

Have you had any issues with that? The room my Vive is in is at the minimum size and it is awkward in a lot of games. I'd really like to try doing this, but I might need longer than 25 feet to reach the room i'd like to play in.

Zalusithix

I'll be in for the audio strap and of course wireless. I just got wireless headphones for use with the Vive, but it'll be worth the purchase for the strap alone.

I'm a bit more skeptical of the tracking puck. What I wanted out of tracked accessories is stuff like a gun, where I want the trigger to be functional. I suppose you could make it work via the usb port on the puck, but I'm waiting to see how it shakes out.

The whole point of the puck is that it allows communication with it. If it were just a tracking device, it'd be a lot less interesting. With the communication though, you can have full fledged interaction. It makes custom controllers possible with physical inputs wherever you want and the input being registered as coming from the device within OpenVR. No need to write custom drivers etc on the PC side.

vive-tracker-and-accessories-7.jpg

vive-tracker-and-accessories-14.jpg

Just got my vive last night and installed revive so I could play Superhot VR.

Superhot VR has completely justified the purchase of this thing.

Any other shooter games that are as good?

The puck makes that easier for people to do that actually. They had a few examples of guns in particular:

So for example, that last one is the VRsenal VR-15 sniper rifle that was made for The Nest. They've been showing it for a long while before this, but they had to attach an entire Vive controller to it originally. Now it can just use the puck.

The whole point of the puck is that it allows communication with it. If it were just a tracking device, it'd be a lot less interesting. With the communication though, you can have full fledged interaction. It makes custom controllers possible with physical inputs wherever you want and the input being registered as coming from the device within OpenVR. No need to write custom drivers etc on the PC side.

The puck makes that easier for people to do that actually. They had a few examples of guns in particular:

So for example, that last one is the VRsenal VR-15 sniper rifle that was made for The Nest. They've been showing it for a long while before this, but they had to attach an entire Vive controller to it originally. Now it can just use the puck.

Ah yeah, I missed that! Fantastic.

I think I'll still wait until there are specific accessories I want to get before I buy a puck. Onward has got to make sure they're supporting gun accessories!

Ah yeah, I missed that! Fantastic.

I think I'll still wait until there are specific accessories I want to get before I buy a puck. Onward has got to make sure they're supporting gun accessories!

I'm curious as to how they're going to sell some of these. Do they sell the guns themselves sans puck, or do they sell it as an all in one thing. Is it feasible to do both?

I'm curious as to how they're going to sell some of these. Do they sell the guns themselves sans puck, or do they sell it as an all in one thing. Is it feasible to do both?

I'm worried about support for it at all. It's a subsection of an already niche market, and manufacturing is expensive on smaller scales.

I imagine the accessories we do get will be sold by themselves, and will be FAR more rudimentary than those gun examples that were posted.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Have you had any issues with that? The room my Vive is in is at the minimum size and it is awkward in a lot of games. I'd really like to try doing this, but I might need longer than 25 feet to reach the room i'd like to play in.

None at all. I had trouble finding lengths over 25ft. The USB cable has a male and female end so they could be joined fairly easy.

Zalusithix

Separately will 100% be an option as you want to leverage the fact that people could already have a puck and not need to spend the extra. While the pucks shouldn't be as expensive as a controller, I doubt they're going to be negligibly cheap. You're not going to want to buy every accessory with its own puck.

Selling with a puck would be possible as there's nothing stopping anybody from reselling a puck they bought from HTC themselves. Whether HTC will provide discounts to device creators to pack in pucks, or whether they'll do co-marketing or even selling select accessories on their own site remains to be seen.

In general, you sound pretty meh on roomscale. Racing games do not benefit from it. SuperHot VR is pretty much standing--you're not really twisting and moving around the play space.
The controllers are far more traditional than the Vive wands. I have not really tried a game that has a locomotive system similar to Rec Room (where the track pad is used to determine depth of teleport location) yet so I can't give you proper feedback on that yet.

There are more games now, yes. Truly, there aren't a ton with the same polish that SuperHot VR has. There are some good Early Access titles. I don't know if it's enough to satisfy your want for non-shooting gallery style gameplay.
Games that do use roomscale will require a third sensor on the Rift to be considered roomscale.
Roomscale on the Rift is currently 'experimental'. I've got the two base stations so I don't know the quality of Oculus' roomscale.
Graphical fidelity is pretty much the same across both displays. If you're super picky, this will probably not hold true. The only noticeable difference I have seen is that the Rift has more god rays for some reason. This usually isn't noticeable in game for me, only really notice it during load screens.
The Rift has more light bleed through the nose area than the Vive.

That said, if you have a Best Buy nearby, they may be demoing Rift + Touch still. I live in the middle of nowhere and they had a demo running. Swing by sometime and check it out.

I would say maybe wait another 6 months and revisit the games then. If you can't wait, I'd say give the Rift + Touch a go based on your dislike of the trackpads and lack of use of roomscale.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your advice. Going to think about my options.

Durante

man, arizona sunshine is nuts. aiming a flashlight and a gun at the same time is so cool.
Yeah, looking back I think the mine was the most intense part of Arizona Sunshine.

The only part I hated is the stupid way you had to hold the flashlight :p

Bread

Banned
Yeah, looking back I think the mine was the most intense part of Arizona Sunshine.

The only part I hated is the stupid way you had to hold the flashlight :p
Yeah I turned my controller around so I could hold it at my waist lmao, that was a weird design decision by them.

Zalusithix

In Ghosttown& mineride you also have a headlamp, lamps everywhere :)

There was an Audioshield update today... but no info on what it was for... anyone knows?

There's been a number of times that I've seen Audioshield update without any patch notes. As much as I enjoy the game, I'm not a fan of the dev's general support of the game or their communication.

In Ghosttown& mineride you also have a headlamp, lamps everywhere :)

There was an Audioshield update today... but no info on what it was for... anyone knows?

There's been a number of times that I've seen Audioshield update without any patch notes. As much as I enjoy the game, I'm not a fan of the dev's general support of the game or their communication.

Hopefully more stability fixes... that thing had massive crashing issues when I had my Vive hooked up.

I hope it fixes the online search function. I was able to look for music online without any issue until last week but now I get nothing. I can only play the songs on my hard drive.

I looked on the steam forums and it appears a lot of people are having this problem..

Samemind

I hope it fixes the online search function. I was able to look for music online without any issue until last week but now I get nothing. I can only play the songs on my hard drive.

I looked on the steam forums and it appears a lot of people are having this problem..

You didn't accidentally turn off the online setting next to the search bar, did you?

I'm wondering exactly how they'll handle VR rifles -- there's actually a pretty big question of the fact that most rifles will be handled differently, in regards to magazine release, charging, safety selector switch, etc.

Particularly in the case of something like in H3.

I'm wondering if they'll make a "skeleton" rifle that has levers/buttons/whatever in all of the common locations, instead of trying to make it look and behave like one specific weapon.

Perhaps the FPS styled games will take an XM8 sort of approach, and create common weapons that follow a specific accessory, but can be taken in different configurations that act as SMG/Rifle/Sniper/etc.

Ideally, weapon skeletons would be cheap, and very quick to connect to a puck, but who knows.

atom519

New Vive owner as of yesterday. Ordered from Amazon. Should be here by next week. I'm insanely excited.

Any tips, tricks, or worries I need to note?

In addition to what others have already said, make sure you take the time to properly adjust the headstrap so that it fits properly on your head.

When mine shipped the top strap was rather tight, which doesn't allow for the back of the headstrap to actually cradle the back of your head. Loosen that top strap way up, and when you put the headset on, give the top cords some slack to allow the back strap to slide down and properly form your head. This will make it more comfortable and prevent the Vive from moving around, especially when looking directly down.

atom519

Tricks:
  • I have a Steam Link hooked up to my TV in the livingroom. Streaming from my PC to the Link while in VR, the Link displays the game perfectly, without any tinkering needed for those who may want to watch.

Oh for fucks sake, I have a steam link and this didn't even occur to me. I have hosted multiple VR parties with us crowded around my main monitor turned sideways. Was seriously about to purchase a long displayport->HDMI or something for the next one.

I just test it out and works beautifully. Thanks.

Tricks:
  • I have a Steam Link hooked up to my TV in the livingroom. Streaming from my PC to the Link while in VR, the Link displays the game perfectly, without any tinkering needed for those who may want to watch.

A quick note here: I use this all the time and it has a major bug, in that you have to quit streaming after every game, otherwise you get crazy tracking lag on the headset.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but very few people seem to be aware of it (or very few people use the Steam Link for VR streaming). The only complaint I've seen online is from one other person with the same issue (on Reddit). It's fine for the first game you play after starting the stream, but once the person in the headset quits a game and starts another the person in the headset gets slightly noticeable, but nausea-inducing lag, almost like reprojection is being forced to always on (and it's lagging on top of that).

The only solution I've found is to have the person in-headset go to the settings menu of the dashboard, go to the streaming section, and "Stop Streaming". You can continue the stream again from the Steam Link, but only until they boot and quit another game.

It's not a dealbreaker, but it is kind of annoying. Especially if the person playing isn't technologically-inclined, and you have to explain how to navigate the menus.

atom519

A quick note here: I use this all the time and it has a major bug, in that you have to quit streaming after every game, otherwise you get crazy tracking lag on the headset.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but very few people seem to be aware of it (or very few people use the Steam Link for VR streaming). The only complaint I've seen online is from one other person with the same issue (on Reddit). It's fine for the first game you play after starting the stream, but once the person in the headset quits a game and starts another the person in the headset gets slightly noticeable, but nausea-inducing lag, almost like reprojection is being forced to always on (and it's lagging on top of that).

The only solution I've found is to have the person in-headset go to the settings menu of the dashboard, go to the streaming section, and "Stop Streaming". You can continue the stream again from the Steam Link, but only until they boot and quit another game.

It's not a dealbreaker, but it is kind of annoying. Especially if the person playing isn't technologically-inclined, and you have to explain how to navigate the menus.

Oh... that put a damper on my excitement. :( I only tried one game so far, will see if I can reproduce this evening.

Oh... that put a damper on my excitement. :( I only tried one game so far, will see if I can reproduce this evening.

It's a downer, but not insurmountable. I still vastly prefer it to hooking up the PC to the TV via a HDMI/Displayport cable, as mirroring the VR screen to the TV still slows the PC down more than streaming it to the Steam Link.

It's important to note that the people watching on the TV won't see any lag -- it's all in the tracking latency of the headset. The person in the headset might not even notice it at first, but over time it made me nauseous (when normal VR usage doesn't).

QuiVR is a great game to test this with, as it has some performance issues already, and this tracking lag from streaming exacerbates the issue. If you have a lower-performance card (my experience is with a 1070) it'll likely be worse, as it seems to be at least somewhat performance-dependent.

You didn't accidentally turn off the online setting next to the search bar, did you?

Nope. It was the first thing I checked. I've selected both boxes and even disabled the local search just to make sure. The online search just happened to randomly shit the bed and judging from the steam forums it appears like it's a relatively common problem.

Again, hopefully this patch addressed that.

This gonna get pretty weird. You'll need to buy peripherals for every game at some point.

I don't think so. The Vive controllers are really versatile as they are, and I think accessories will mainly to be improving the experiences, rather than enabling them altogether.

I just hope someone makes my aforementioned "skeletal rifle" that does a 90% replica of 90% of rifles, rather than getting a lot of 100% replicas of 1 rifle each.

I've been thinking about it, and I think that this can be accomplished pretty easily, as long as devs aren't worried too much about mapping buttons.

Zalusithix

I don't think so. The Vive controllers are really versatile as they are, and I think accessories will mainly to be improving the experiences, rather than enabling them altogether.

I just hope someone makes my aforementioned "skeletal rifle" that does a 90% replica of 90% of rifles, rather than getting a lot of 100% replicas of 1 rifle each.

I've been thinking about it, and I think that this can be accomplished pretty easily, as long as devs aren't worried too much about mapping buttons.
Yeah, devs would be crazy to require a peripheral to play. Design the game to work with standard controllers, and then work in the non-standard alternatives. The same tactic they'd use when Valve inevitably releases the new controller: standard first, then new.

So, I kinda sketched out what I was talking about with a "skeletal rifle", something that has all the major controls that are shared amongst most rifles.
Notes:
4 and 7 are both one button each, but are made of a single lever each that can be actuated from two places -- for 4, it acts as both a rear charging handle, as well as a forward charging handle, but is only one button.

For 7, it's a single sliding mechanism with levers exposed out of the side of both the top and bottom -- in this way, it can act as the safety switch for an AK47, and also as a magazine release for pistols and sub machine guns. There are also some single shot rifles that use a lever in the trigger well, this could be extended to that, and still all be a part of one actual mechanism.

For magazines, they could either make one magazine that slots into one of two magazine wells, with a button on each side for magazine release on those weapons, or they could just put in two magazines. Might be weird to do it that way though.

This doesn't tackle non- rifle controls though -- This doesn't have movement or menu buttons on it, but shows what I'm talking about with a single design that is multifunctional across a variety of popular weapon designs.
It also doesn't have freaking attachment rails or a barrel because this is VR, and that shit is wasted plastic. It only needs the controls. But, I imagine that it'll work pretty well with having a new Vive controller in the off hand -- but we'd have to see. Tracking both hands *and* rifle is the biggest question here.

EDIT:
Yeah, devs would be crazy to require a peripheral to play. Design the game to work with standard controllers, and then work in the non-standard alternatives. The same tactic they'd use when Valve inevitably releases the new controller: standard first, then new.

The genius of the new controller prototype is that, in game model aside, it should all be backwards compatible with current games, even without any updates.

I really didn't want to sell my Vive to fund my new camera because I knew a bunch of cool stuff would be announced at CES. Sigh, I was right. All this cool shit and no Vive.

That puck is a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom