• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
To noticeably improve contrast on your HDMI connected Vive and monitors on an NVidia card, download a patcher called: NV_RGBFullRangeToggle.
This will restore the RGB ranges from 32 to 223 to the full 0 to 255 range, so this improves contrast a lot.

I figured this out by myself after wondering if my new GTX1080 would still need this patch (having used this before on my older cards), turns out it did, improving the contrast of my monitors. Then I wondered if the same would apply to the Vive, being connected by a HDMI connection, turns out it had fixed that as well.

Note that you need to execute the patch every time you upgrade your NVidia drivers.

Yeah, this only screws things up for me on my TV which is limited range.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
  1. Pull controllers off wall
  2. Use controllers
  3. Plug controllers in somewhere to charge them
  4. Monitor controller charge level
  5. Unplug controllers once charged
  6. Hang controllers back on wall
vs
  1. Pull controllers off chargers
  2. Use controllers
  3. Replug controllers back at charging location and forget about them
Way too many steps for the wall mounting. =P

Edit: I would at least need something like this to consider wall mounting, and then I'd have to deal with the cables dangling.
a93576f38950b01b1e5b0f28686a872a_display_large.jpg

1. Hang controllers on wall just above wall socket
2. When they need charging, leave them hanging and just plug a USB cable in

Zalusithix

1. Hang controllers on wall just above wall socket
2. When they need charging, leave them hanging and just plug a USB cable in
Leaves a cable trailing up the wall, and is still more effort than the shelf option (have to reach further for the cable). Just leave the controllers on the floor by the socket, Durante style. ;P

I have $20 in Stream credit. Anything worth picking up for around that price? Or maybe some cheaper experiences? I have Call of the Starseed, Raw Data, Space Pirate Trainer, Tilt Brush, Zombie Training Simulator.

Durante

Water Bears VR.
VR The Diner Duo if you have someone to play in local coop with.

To noticeably improve contrast on your HDMI connected Vive and monitors on an NVidia card, download a patcher called: NV_RGBFullRangeToggle.
This will restore the RGB ranges from 32 to 223 to the full 0 to 255 range, so this improves contrast a lot.

I figured this out by myself after wondering if my new GTX1080 would still need this patch (having used this before on my older cards), turns out it did, improving the contrast of my monitors. Then I wondered if the same would apply to the Vive, being connected by a HDMI connection, turns out it had fixed that as well.

Note that you need to execute the patch every time you upgrade your NVidia drivers.
Really? It actually does something on Vive?

I'm very surprised. It's a tool I wrote ages ago, I didn't think it would even do anything in modern NV drivers any more.

Hey guys, what's the best way to get a remote view into another room?

What I'm going to do for my vive is run cables from my office where the PC is, into the living room where the Vive is. But, for showing off to friends, I'm going to want another display in there. Does Steamlink work well for this? Or do I just need to run a whole other HDMI cable for it?

Durante

Personally I just use a separate HDMI cable, but I've read that people have successfully used streaming for the same purpose.

I'm a bit reluctant since I don't want my GPU or CPU to have any additional encoding load while in VR.

atom519

Hey guys, what's the best way to get a remote view into another room?

What I'm going to do for my vive is run cables from my office where the PC is, into the living room where the Vive is. But, for showing off to friends, I'm going to want another display in there. Does Steamlink work well for this? Or do I just need to run a whole other HDMI cable for it?

Steam Link works great, as I recently found out thanks to GAF. Just launch SteamVR then turn on the Link and connect to your computer - should mirror both audio and video.

I had to go into the SteamVR sound options and enable "mirror audio to device", but that was about it. I've used twice now for parties and it works really well. Occasionally if I'm in a game for a long time the steam link will lock up, but I think that has to do with going into a sleep mode or something since I haven't touched the controller.

Water Bears VR.
VR The Diner Duo if you have someone to play in local coop with.

Unfortunately my space seems to be too small for Water Bears per their requirements. Diner Duo definitely seems cool though, i'll pick that up. I also grabbed SoundStage. I have no particular musical affinity, but it seems really fun to play around with. Music creation programs are super intimidating in a way this isn't, so I can just hop in and start creating -- similar to Tilt Brush.

RedRum

Banned
VR is expensive, lol. I turns out the 25ft cables I bought were NOT adequate enough. Looks like I am going to push for 50. I know I can get a 50ft HDMI cable that will work, but a 50ft USB cable, even active, might be an issue. I have an entire room in the house that I can dedicate to my Vive. I just have to get it there.

SimplexPL

So this setting does not work?

http://i.imgur.com/wKCaTEW.png

I've tried exactly that yesterday but for a different reason.

Normally I'm playing on a plasma TV, so limited RGB.
Now inside VR I noticed that in Audioshield there is a stage with flags flowing in the wind, I've seen videos on youtube of that stage and you can see the audioshield logo on the flags in those videos. I can see nothing on the flags because they are way too dark on my HMD (completely black).

So as a test I changed the limited setting to full RGB, then fired up Steam VR. There was no difference in the HMD, looked exactly the same.
Maybe I'm overlooking something, could be that there is another/different setting specially for the HMD somewhere in the system, outside of the GPU settings?

I saved the version that is supposed to have perfect black levels, but for some reason it never actually worked for me (ie, blacks were the same as always). If you're interested in giving it a try, I put it on Amazon Cloud Drive: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/s...iKV8YIaXuITbJRJbWS?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Don't know what I was doing wrong the first time, but I used this on Sunday and it absolutely works. Close normal SteamVR, and use the .bat file I made to start this version. Luminous Abyss is amazing.

kinggroin

Banned
Don't know what I was doing wrong the first time, but I used this on Sunday and it absolutely works. Close normal SteamVR, and use the .bat file I made to start this version. Luminous Abyss is amazing.

Possible to share this on Google drive? The download limits me to only chunks at a time unless I download the Amazon app. If I go chunks at a time, it times out usually.

VR is expensive, lol. I turns out the 25ft cables I bought were NOT adequate enough. Looks like I am going to push for 50. I know I can get a 50ft HDMI cable that will work, but a 50ft USB cable, even active, might be an issue. I have an entire room in the house that I can dedicate to my Vive. I just have to get it there.

Can confirm that this USB cable worked for me (including with the camera). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040IG1A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also got this HDMI cable, although it really is ridiculously expensive at $67. Although I will say that it's extremely thick and sturdy, so that's nice at least.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186DNFLI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Possible to share this on Google drive? The download limits me to only chunks at a time unless I download the Amazon app. If I go chunks at a time, it times out usually.
Oops, I forgot about Amazon's stupid file download limit. Their app sucks by the way. Try this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Oo1J1jrGHTYV81R1oyUEZzcjg/view?usp=sharing

kinggroin

Banned
Can confirm that this USB cable worked for me (including with the camera). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040IG1A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also got this HDMI cable, although it really is ridiculously expensive at $67. Although I will say that it's extremely thick and sturdy, so that's nice at least.

Oops, I forgot about Amazon's stupid file download limit. Their app sucks by the way. Try this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Oo1J1jrGHTYV81R1oyUEZzcjg/view?usp=sharing

awesome thanks so much!

RedRum

Banned

Thank you. Going to go with these.

Padinn

Can anyone here provide some guidance on how to get the Steam Controller working well with War Thunder? It has some default profiles, but I can't figure out how to get it to work very well in game - seems very "twitchy."

Thank you. Going to go with these.

No problem. One quick note I want to mention because it may save you some headache—this cable only works in one direction. One end needs to be plugged into the source (your computer) and the other end into the destination (your linkbox). So make sure you have the right end beforehand.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Haven't build my VR monster PC yet but have the opportunity to buy The HTC Vive for around $500 flat! Should I pull the trigger and just have it sitting there till I build? LOL FAK. I'm so conflicted right now.

deadfolk

Haven't build my VR monster PC yet but have the opportunity to buy The HTC Vive for around $500 flat! Should I pull the trigger and just have it sitting there till I build? LOL FAK. I'm so conflicted right now.

If you want one, I'd jump on that asap.

Edit: Depending on when you plan to build your PC, obv.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
If you want one, I'd jump on that asap.

Edit: Depending on when you plan to build your PC, obv.
Planning to build around 1080Ti launch most likely. Currently haggling the hell out of this dude and trying to get it for around $400-450 now lol. If he agrees on that, I'll impulse buy the fuck outta this. Cause that's way more than fair for the best consumer VR solution on the market currently haha.

jahepi

I was enjoying a lot my Vive and i had so many hours of fun but now im having problems with the display on the headset, both screens turn off randomly while playing.
After some testing and pulling my hair out, i´ve narrowed down the problem, it is the link box, the HDMI connector is a little bit loose when connected to the link box, so if i move it, it loses the signal.
In the meantime to fix it, i´ve locked the cable where it connects to the linkbox to avoid any movement.

It is disapointing that the quality of the accesories is not the best.

TheRed

I downloaded Dolphin VR but now I can't get it to work normally without VR. Every time I open it it's Dolphin VR and I just want to play it on my monitor. Anyone know what the problem is or do I just have to redownload a seperate Dolphin again now?

----Guess I overwrote my normal Dolphin by installing Dolphin VR into the same folder.

Sorry guys, made this post shortly before leaving the house and totally forgot I made it afterwards.

Really? It actually does something on Vive?

I'm very surprised. It's a tool I wrote ages ago, I didn't think it would even do anything in modern NV drivers any more.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed with the black levels of the Vive and the contrast improved after using the patcher. Couldn't do an A/B test though. I'll test it again when there's another NVidia driver update. I was quite surprised that it still made a change on my monitors.

Wow, I didn't even notice this setting (coming from a very old GTX460). I have no idea what it was set to before I used the patch, but I just checked and it is set to full range. You couldn't change the Vive output that way though.

Oh and people online have mentioned that displayport gave them better contrast/black levels than HDMI. Though apparently displayport has other problems.

Here's a discussion about it on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4jz0zd/just_found_out_my_nvidia_rgb_was_clamped_fixed/

Makai

Has anyone tried interfacing with OpenVR from C++ or something like that? I've got it rendering to the headset, but the projection is off. With the standard monitor view matrix and eye view matrices, objects become less converged the further out they are. When I apply the eye projection matrices, nothing is visibile. Closest thing to a hello world is 2000 lines and i can't find a real tutorial.

Tain

The Freedom Locomotion demo is really good. It took me a minute to realize how the pointing + touchpad directions worked, but once that was in I had a blast. Climbing is especially effective. I'm not the most susceptible to simulation sickness, but this felt very comfortable all-around.

The only nitpicks I have are that I'd like some relatively motion-intense options, namely one to simply press and hold to move without head motion. Of course, that'd go against the physical angle and be way more sickness-inducing for most, so I get not wanting to include it. Along the same lines, running off the giant robot makes me want a jump button, lol.

I noticed this UE4 bug affecting the demo, but you can only really tell when falling from tall heights.

The Freedom Locomotion demo is really good. It took me a minute to realize how the pointing + touchpad directions worked, but once that was in I had a blast. Climbing is especially effective. I'm not the most susceptible to simulation sickness, but this felt very comfortable all-around.

The only nitpicks I have are that I'd like some relatively motion-intense options, namely one to simply press and hold to move without head motion. Of course, that'd go against the physical angle and be way more sickness-inducing for most, so I get not wanting to include it. Along the same lines, running off the giant robot makes me want a jump button, lol.

I noticed this UE4 bug affecting the demo, but you can only really tell when falling from tall heights.

I'm kind of mixed on it. I think the implementation is pretty immersive, but at the same time, I find it pretty tiring. I also found myself stopping a little too far away from things I was trying to get to and was itching for like a little nudge forward option. In reality, I could just walk forward to do that, but it didn't feel natural to do that in concert with the jog in place motion. I do really like the implementation of grabbing/climbing though. For example, using the grab motion on the table to pull yourself a bit forward was pretty intuitive.

I TOTALLY agree about the jumping. In the simple city environment, I climbed up on one of the rooftops and started jogging to the next one and I was dying to be able to jump to the next rooftop. Then I started thinking about how cool it would be to do a Mirror's Edge type game where you could run and jump between rooftops and be able to use the grabbing mechanic to catch ledges. Someone needs to do that.

Durante

Ok, this is really interesting IMHO:

Valve is apparently building an automated production line in the US for the new lighthouses, like the one they have for Steam controllers (which is seriously impressive).

If this succeeds, I assume it would open up the possibility of buying those at a good price from Valve -- and further down the road, maybe them building the alternative controllers on their own too.

Zalusithix

If this succeeds, I assume it would open up the possibility of buying those at a good price from Valve -- and further down the road, maybe them building the alternative controllers on their own too.

Gabe Newell said:
The big thing right now is broadening the range of options we have in creating experiences. We think investing in hardware will give us those options. The knuckles controller is being designed at the same time as we're designing our own VR games.
Sounds to me that this isn't a "maybe" or even that further down the line. I had always assumed that Valve was going to manufacture the stuff shown at dev days anyhow. They created an open standard VR system. Why wouldn't they produce some peripherals for it if it was within their capabilities?

Durante

Well, for the same reason that they didn't really want to get into HMD production until Facebook forced their hand: that they'd rather focus on software than the somewhat risky and usually only moderately profitable business of hardware.

Zalusithix

Well, for the same reason that they didn't really want to get into HMD production until Facebook forced their hand: that they'd rather focus on software than the somewhat risky and usually only moderately profitable business of hardware.

They make enough money from Steam to not be overly concerned about hardware profits. One of the reasons they can afford to manufacture hardware here in the US in the first place.

As for HMD production, I don't see them ever getting directly into that. That would put them in competition with other manufacturers within the lighthouse VR space. They can, however, easily create controllers and lighthouses to expand the ecosystem and provide options for people. I imagine their goal is to have high end turn-key solutions like the Vive available, but also cheaper headset only solutions where you could add on tracked controllers after the fact.

Climbey is heavier on the climbing part (for obvious reasons) than what I'm dreaming of. I'm thinking of something with a gameplay loop closer to Mirror's Edge or maybe Crackdown. More about keeping, or at least allowing, a constant flow of movement through an environment.

Also I'm not going to lie. I can't get over Climbey having literally zero art direction lol.

I wonder how bad motion sickness would be in Mirror's Edge. It seems perfect for VR if not for that since it seems to really focus on the first person feel, like looking down and seeing your body, seeing your legs when you slide, the movement sway when running. That game (or the first one, never played Catalyst) is really good at giving the impression that you're Faith. I could be totally off but that seems like it'd translate well into that immersive VR feel.

I wonder how bad motion sickness would be in Mirror's Edge. It seems perfect for VR if not for that since it seems to really focus on the first person feel, like looking down and seeing your body, seeing your legs when you slide, the movement sway when running. That game (or the first one, never played Catalyst) is really good at giving the impression that you're Faith. I could be totally off but that seems like it'd translate well into that immersive VR feel.

Off topic, but you should really give Catalyst a try if you liked Mirror's Edge. The game got much more crap than it deserved on Neogaf, and even the people who think it deserved said crap will admit that it captures the feel of the original.

I really want someone to make a proper VR mod for at least one of the two games. I'm sure it would make some people motion sick, but I'm immune and I want to play it.

Feels so good to have perfect black levels again.
You know what else, I was playing with it again last night and I can't for the life of me see this "black smear" people talk about. Whereas I can DEFINITELY see that awful speckled not-black in most versions of SteamVR.

If Valve is going to talk about openness and configurability and hack-ability, they really need to add an option for this. Really strange decision on their part.

Zalusithix

Seeing your body do all sorts of things that it isn't in real life is actually a way to reduce immersion for many people.

Seeing your body do all sorts of things that it isn't in real life is actually a way to reduce immersion for many people.

Huh, I must be an outlier then. Games where you can actually see that you have a body always makes me feel way more immersed. It's weird and disconcerting for a few minutes to see a body that isn't mine, but after that fades I feel more like i'm in the world as opposed to just being a ghost with hands. Something like the locomotion demo posted earlier would be good for a game like Mirror's Edge. Making you mimic Faith's motion as much as possible could alleviate that. Like if you want to wall run you have to hold out a hand towards the wall, so when you see it mirrored in-game it seems normal. Or have movement be my stepping in place, so the movement seems to match.

There are a couple of VR games where you have your own VR body, I only have played a few but I usually don't like it. If I only have floating hands, I doesn't feel bad, feels great actually. I guess it's because they are exactly where you expect them to be for the majority of the time you look at them, they always do what you want them to do despite the fact that they are floating hands. But when you attache arms and a torso and legs this all falls apart. I always get jumpscared by my own VR body. For Mirrors Edge it would be even worse because she is sliding and climbing all over the place while the player stands or sits still in one place. Maybe I just havent played a game yet where it was done well enough(?)

I don't like having a VR body AT ALL. It never lines up properly with real me.

One exception is Invasion, it worked there. I think it helps that you're so fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom