• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haint

At 85 USD I'm heavily considering giving it a try.

Personally I never found the current Vive mounting solution to be all that bad (I can play for hours without issues), but the whole flip-up setup seems useful, and it is true that you should be able to achieve lightly higher FoV with that type of mounting solution.

^ That looks fantastic. The flip up action is really needed too. Oh man, I can't decide between this and the deluxe audio strap now.

If you haven't already, I'd spend a lot of time with a PSVR before investing in any kind of forehead mount. While it may initially seem comfortable in short demos or first impressions, in serious 1-2+ hour sessions, having all the weight upfront really digs your hair into the scalp and itches like crazy. It is virtually impossible for me to play PSVR longer than 30 or 40 minutes without having to dishelm for scratching/comfort breaks, where as both Vive and Rift I can stay in hours without a second thought.

Zalusithix

The new KS video has an added section of the guy moving around and looking down specifically due to the concern. Pretty quick, but seems solid.

Yeah, not sure about that.

Here's what they said on Reddit:

Yeah I missed the fact that they edited in a small segment in towards the end of the video. Not that you'd be able to easily tell from the video if the mechanism was shifting a small amount during the downward tilts. Either way, without clarification on the design in relation to glasses, it's a non-starter for me. The prototype design for the wireless modules also worries me. If that flap is just free floating with only gravity holding the transmitter down, it's going to be bouncing up and down against your head in active use. It'll either need to be spring loaded to maintain pressure against the head, or designed to float above your head completely.

They also need to put information about the manufacturing and such in the actual Kickstarter, not just on Reddit. People shouldn't have to chase down info from other places. Seriously, this isn't the dark days of crowdfunding anymore. Amateur hour Kickstarters don't instill confidence in people to back projects. It should be outlined at what point it'll be manufactured with a given technique. Essentially stretch goals. Base Kickstarter level reached = X manufacturing method, and at N level backing it changes to Y method. This is stuff you figure out before running the Kickstarter, not after.

If you haven't already, I'd spend a lot of time with a PSVR before investing in any kind of forehead mount. While it may initially seem comfortable in short demos or first impressions, in serious 1-2+ hour sessions, having all the weight upfront really digs your hair into the scalp and itches like crazy. It is virtually impossible for me to play PSVR longer than 30 or 40 minutes without having to dishelm for scratching/comfort breaks, where as both Vive and Rift I can stay in hours without a second thought.

Yikes. I hear what you're saying, but I'm looking for relief from the face-huggerness of the Vive. Ironically, I have the same problem with only being able to last 1 hour inside VR world, but I thought it was due to the Vive's lackluster straps.

Honestly, I don't think I'm ever gonna be satisfied until they're able to shrink these headsets to sunglass size.

RedRum

Banned
Has anyone had any experience/use with 25ft cables (HDMI and USB) for the Vive? I'm looking to get these, but I am having mixed luck in searching. A lot of places saying some work and then other places saying they don't work.

Scapegoat

Yikes. I hear what you're saying, but I'm looking for relief from the face-huggerness of the Vive. Ironically, I have the same problem with only being able to last 1 hour inside VR world, but I thought it was due to the Vive's lackluster straps.

Honestly, I don't think I'm ever gonna be satisfied until they're able to shrink these headsets to sunglass size.
Have you tried the Rift? It's headstrap places most of the weight on the back of your head, and the headset sort of hovers right in front of your face, touching but barely applying pressure. If you get the Deluxe Audio Headstrap in Q2 it should provide a similar experience with the Vive.

Durante

Between this and other impressions of forehead mounting systems on Reddit I think I'll pass after all. Especially since I don't really have a Problem with the current mechanism anyway.

Zalusithix

Between this and other impressions of forehead mounting systems on Reddit I think I'll pass after all. Especially since I don't really have a Problem with the current mechanism anyway.

I'm about 90% pass at this point. In addition to the potential glasses and wireless issues, there's the big honking protrusion to the rear which is almost guaranteed to interfere with use of the Vive on my chair. I might not be using my headset seated often right now, but when I do, I don't want to deal with having to change headbands. If the new HTC band wasn't coming, I'd be more inclined to give it more thought, but that seems to be a safer bet overall.

Then there's the fact that I'm not confident that the people behind the rEvolve project are capable of seeing it to completion (at least on a timely basis). This is their third product, but they haven't actually delivered either of the previous two yet, so they have no track record. Add to that things like deciding how they're going to manufacture it after the KS instead of having agreements in place beforehand... Sets off major warning bells to me for a physical product.

moniker

Just finished the Budget Cuts demo and it blowed my mind. It's easily my favorite experience so far (though I've only had my Vive for a couple of days).

I have some slight tracking issues though. Sometimes my controllers drifts around a bit. Just a few centimeters, not extreme tracking issues I've seen in some windows where the controllers go crazy and fly away. Sometimes it happens with the headset as well, but not nearly as often. It also seems to happen more in some parts of the room than others.

Could this because of reflections? I've covered up all the ones I could think of, but maybe I've missed something. I have chandeliers high up in the ceiling and and they're semi reflective - could they cause it or are only very reflective surfaces problematic?

I've read that RF interference could affect tracking, but that should only affect the controllers and not the headset right?

jotun?

The larger FoV via thinner pads is concerning. Is this optional or baked into the design?

It seems like a bad idea to me. Sure, you get it to fill more of your vision, but the game isn't going to render a corresponding different FoV, so you're going to create a mismatch

Zalusithix

It seems like a bad idea to me. Sure, you get it to fill more of your vision, but the game isn't going to render a corresponding different FoV, so you're going to create a mismatch

While one of the Valve devs cautioned against it (Yates perhaps? Was so long ago.), people have been doing it since basically right after the Vive was released by refitting the existing foam in such a way that the headset sat closer to the face. Then came the custom thinner pads which many use. Given the distances involved, I'm not sure how much the existing FoV gets stretched over a larger area (perspective distortion) and how much is simply allowing the eye to view a larger portion of the rendered image. I wear glasses so I've never personally tested it. Not about to intentionally scratch my lenses to gain a few degrees.

Compsiox

Banned
So I'm guessing a greatly improved Vive won't release for another 2 years.

I think it would be awesome to keep letting the cost of the base Vive experience go down and just let people add on to the experience with accessories.

deadfolk

I think it would be awesome to keep letting the cost of the base Vive experience go down and just let people add on to the experience with accessories.

What would be perfect imo is if they carry on the current route of making it modular, and then when the headset v2 comes out, it's compatible with the existing/future add-ons. Then you could literally just buy a new facebox (with higher res or whatever) and use it with your existing gear.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just finished the Budget Cuts demo and it blowed my mind. It's easily my favorite experience so far (though I've only had my Vive for a couple of days).

I have some slight tracking issues though. Sometimes my controllers drifts around a bit. Just a few centimeters, not extreme tracking issues I've seen in some windows where the controllers go crazy and fly away. Sometimes it happens with the headset as well, but not nearly as often. It also seems to happen more in some parts of the room than others.

Could this because of reflections? I've covered up all the ones I could think of, but maybe I've missed something. I have chandeliers high up in the ceiling and and they're semi reflective - could they cause it or are only very reflective surfaces problematic?

I've read that RF interference could affect tracking, but that should only affect the controllers and not the headset right?
A mirror did this to me.

derFeef

What would be perfect imo is if they carry on the current route of making it modular, and then when the headset v2 comes out, it's compatible with the existing/future add-ons. Then you could literally just buy a new facebox (with higher res or whatever) and use it with your existing gear.

Isn't that the purpose of OpenVR? I mean that's what I expect out of the Vive and the future upgrades.

deadfolk

Isn't that the purpose of OpenVR? I mean that's what I expect out of the Vive and the future upgrades.

No idea. But I just am not sure if the Audio Deluxe Strap (for example) would work on Vive 2 and if we could then buy a strapless headset on the cheap.

Never heard of RF causing issues for the Vive specifically, but the headset and controllers use the exact same tracking system. The headset generally screws up less often because it has more sensors than the controllers do.

Compsiox

Banned
No idea. But I just am not sure if the Audio Deluxe Strap (for example) would work on Vive 2 and if we could then buy a strapless headset on the cheap.

What if with the Vive 2 they use powerful magnets that don't disrupt the signal and you put one on the back of your head. The pull of the magnet being so great that it holds the headset on without a strap.

I wish that were possible lol

Zalusithix

Another 2 years? Unlikely IMO; I expect a successor next year. If they don't, somebody else will come out with an improved headset (likely using lighthouse tracking) and eat heavily into their market share. The tech advances too quickly for a nascent product line to afford a 3+ year cycle. Prices can go down even with the introduction of gen 2. Rather, I expect gen 1 (or a revision of it) to hang around after gen 2 is introduced as a value option.

What if with the Vive 2 they use powerful magnets that don't disrupt the signal and you put one on the back of your head. The pull of the magnet being so great that it holds the headset on without a strap.

I wish that were possible lol
A magnet powerful enough to hold a headset from ~1 foot away would be fucking deadly as the distance shrunk.

Another 2 years? Unlikely IMO; I expect a successor next year. If they don't, somebody else will come out with an improved headset (likely using lighthouse tracking) and eat heavily into their market share. The tech advances too quickly for a nascent product line to afford a 3+ year cycle. Prices can go down even with the introduction of gen 2. Rather, I expect gen 1 (or a revision of it) to hang around after gen 2 is introduced as a value option.

A magnet powerful enough to hold a headset from ~1 foot away would be fucking deadly as the distance shrunk.

If the rumors of a Note 8 with 4k screen are true, we can probably see a new revision later this year or Q1 2018. Lets hope for Q4 2017 !

moniker

A mirror did this to me.

I'll double check if I've missed anything.

Never heard of RF causing issues for the Vive specifically, but the headset and controllers use the exact same tracking system. The headset generally screws up less often because it has more sensors than the controllers do.

That might be it. I remember someone who had tracking issues because of a nearby radio tower (maybe it was even in this thread?). And this post on reddit indicated that WiFi might interfere with tracking, but I have no idea if it's true.

Zalusithix

If the rumors of a Note 8 with 4k screen are true, we can probably see a new revision later this year or Q1 2018. Lets hope for Q4 2017 !

I'd prefer Q1 2018 for an actual release to customer time frame. That'd make it a nice clean 2 year generation; fast enough to keep up with technological progress, but not so fast as to burn people out.

Yoritomo

Imagine the crushed hands.

Compsiox

Banned

Yeahhhh lol.

Also, was it someone from oculus that said generations shorter than consoles but longer than phones?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'll double check if I've missed anything.

That might be it. I remember someone who had tracking issues because of a nearby radio tower (maybe it was even in this thread?). And this post on reddit indicated that WiFi might interfere with tracking, but I have no idea if it's true.

Are your base stations on the proper channels for your setup?

Keric

Has anyone had any experience/use with 25ft cables (HDMI and USB) for the Vive? I'm looking to get these, but I am having mixed luck in searching. A lot of places saying some work and then other places saying they don't work.

I use this and this (50ft). I run them from my main floor to my basement. Works great.

kungfuian

OK so Dolphin VR is AMAZING!

I know I'm a bit late to the game but just had to share how great it is. Currently I'm playing Metroid Prime (cube version) with the Wii-U adapter and I'm in love! It's so cool to be able to experience one of my favorite games this way. It really is just incredible! It's the perfect blend of VR and Nintendo nostalgia.

Plus it really does solve one of VR's biggest problem right now. Anyone sick of short games, or looking to augment their VR library with more fully fleshed out titles need look no further than Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, and Metroid Prime (to name a few). Just WOW is all I can say!

If you have a VIVE these are must play!

derFeef

I know I'm a bit late to the game but just had to share how great it is. Currently I'm playing Metroid Prime (cube version) with the Wii-U adapter and I'm in love! It's so cool to be able to experience one of my favorite games this way. It really is just incredible! It's the perfect blend of VR and Nintendo nostalgia.

Plus it really does solve one of VR's biggest problem right now. Anyone sick of short games, or looking to augment their VR library with more fully fleshed out titles need look no further than Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, and Metroid Prime (to name a few). Just WOW is all I can say!

That sounds great, I need to give this a shot.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Did you find a tutorial to set it up? I tried it with bad results from the initial installation.

Can I deinstall Steam VR and reinstall it (to get rid of modifictations/ have a fresh and original file structure) without this causing any issues to anything? I don't have to reinstall all my VR games, right?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Does this require any Wii hardware? I gave mine away last year.

Can I deinstall Steam VR and reinstall it (to get rid of modifictations/ have a fresh and original file structure) without this causing any issues to anything? I don't have to reinstall all my VR games, right?

I would think so. What modifications did you make? The games are a separate install, so they would be fine.

I would think so. What modifications did you make? The games are a separate install, so they would be fine.

Can't get the newest Open VR Advanced Settings to work, old files are still used by Steam VR despite having deleted everything I know of them. Maybe a reinstall will take care of that.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It may require wiimotes, but you can also emulate those. And you need game discs or preferably disc images.

Would the Vive wands work for emulation? For the disk-I have a friend who has the games, he may let me borrow them to give it a try. Or I can pick up a used copy pretty easily. It's more the hardware that is limiting for me.

Can't get the newest Open VR Advanced Settings to work, old files are still used by Steam VR despite having deleted everything I know of them. Maybe a reinstall will take care of that.

I'd say give it a try. Make sure the local files are all gone after deletion. Maybe restart too, just to be sure.

Hopefully the VIve 2 is out by the time RE is released on PC with VR :D. I just watched this video. After having been really just ambivalent about the game. I honestly knew nothing, just never interested me because of 5/6. I know I have to play this on Vive if it ever happens. I can't even imagine.

https://youtu.be/rbvl68dbVMk

moniker

Is there any way to get better black levels in direct mode on the Vive? I'm reading through some old posts on Reddit, and it looks like there was a period last year where where this was possible, but they upped the black levels to combat black smear. I think the current implementation really kills low light stuff like Luminous Abyss in theBlu, or darker parts of The Gallery. It's even worse since the mura correction noise is very distracting in dark places.

I looks like it's possible when using Vive in extended mode, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Maybe the black smear looks worse, but it'd be nice to at least have the option. Would it be theoretically possible for a modder to hook into SteamVR output and alter the black levels for example?

MetalSlug

Can you do any GC game in VR and is it easy to set up?

SomTervo

Does this require any Wii hardware? I gave mine away last year.

For gamepad games, like GCN games, I've just been using my PS4 controller with XInput or KeyPadder custom configs. You have to configure it in Dolphin VR itself but it's not hard, esp for more traditional-controlled games.

Did you find a tutorial to set it up? I tried it with bad results from the initial installation.

Every game needs a lot of settings tweaking. Probably 15-20 mins fiddling per game. You need to fiddle with timewarp, frampacing, etc, etc, for every game, which all have their own requirements. You can google each game and 'Dolphin VR configs' to help you. You also need to go into each game's "command" settings and turn off stuff that makes it worse (in terms of gameplay or performance). For instance, in Wind Waker you have to turn off object culling otherwise the world is empty around you until you point Link at where you're looking.

But when you get it right? It is fucking brilliant. Wind Waker in VR is phenomenal. I almost had Eternal Darkness and Resi 4 working, too. That was insane. The sense of place in Eternal Darkness - being INSIDE a Resi-style mansion with her, was just crazy. Like looking around at walls and architecture and objects. And Resident Evil was genuinely too terrifying to play. I couldn't handle it. I turned it off when a Ganado snuck up on me from behind.

I wish they'd add per-game 'profiles' or just 'profiles' in general (maybe they have this and I never noticed it.)

That sounds great, I need to give this a shot.

Honestly, one of the most amazing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom