• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
do not hesitate, if you have any interest in minecraft i completely recommend it.

i played maybe 7 years ago when it was in alpha but hadn't touch it since then, the VR experience makes it feel really special.

Do you know where I can buy a copy that will work with Vivecraft? The Windows Store errors on every game download I do.
IMRmKHr.png

Erro code is 0x80070005. I've googled and nothing works. I have not tried a fresh Windows install and I am hesitant to do so just yet.

derFeef

I was just thinking, I would like to view screenshots of VR games. Like the picture you see in the headset or when you capture a screenshot through Steam while playing a VR game. I can barely find those on the interwebs.

Putosaure

Do you know where I can buy a copy that will work with Vivecraft? The Windows Store errors on every game download I do.

Erro code is 0x80070005. I've googled and nothing works. I have not tried a fresh Windows install and I am hesitant to do so just yet.

I had an error with the store because my default drive in Windows settings was not C:\.
Is it set that way ?

Durante

Doesn't Vivecraft only work with the original Java version of the game?
(Which also has the advantage of you not buying anything off the MS store!)

Windows 10 edition doesn't work with Vivecraft. You need to get the java version from minecraft.net

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I had an error with the store because my default drive in Windows settings was not C:\.
Is it set that way ?

It is. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Edit: It appears it is set to the C drive...

Windows 10 edition doesn't work with Vivecraft. You need to get the java version from minecraft.net

Doesn't Vivecraft only work with the original Java version of the game?
(Which also has the advantage of you not buying anything off the MS store!)

Win 10 does work with the Rift, correct? I ask because the Win 10 version has a free trial. If I can give it a go for free with my Rift, it should answer my question of being worth it.

Melon Husk

It is. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Win 10 does work with the Rift, correct? I ask because the Win 10 version has a free trial. If I can give it a go for free with my Rift, it should answer my question of being worth it.

Oof. No no no. Vivecraft is a whole nother experience with the tracked controllers and whatnot. W10 Edition with a controller is not comparable. Now, Vivecraft does support Touch, but only on the java edition.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oof. No no no. Vivecraft is a whole nother experience with the tracked controllers and whatnot. W10 Edition with a controller is not comparable. Now, Vivecraft does support Touch, but only on the java edition.

All right. I suppose I will wait to see if Minecraft goes on sale at some point.

vermadas

Minecraft Win10 has official support for Touch now. Though I've still heard more praise for Vivecraft's implementation. Have not tried either yet myself.

Zalusithix

For fucks sake, do sites even do the most basic research into what they report on these days? (Rhetorical question.)

Those in addition to the one yesterday (along with more I'm sure) based on the one original article:
HTC Vive fitness tracker has been passed through the FCC

If you're going to report on something that is tied to the Vive brand name and muse about how it's unusual, perhaps do some research into VR and what has been happening recently? I mean, it's not like you'd have to look back that far!
vive-tracker-and-accessories-3.jpg

I can't wait to get my 2PYV100 "fitness" tracker!

Bread

Banned
Yup. Only issue is that going up stairs can be kinda hard to manage sometimes with the teleport. What i've loved doing lately is sticking a video to my left hand so I can watch some netflix or giant bomb while digging and building.
what the shit how did you do that!?

Metal B

Yup. Only issue is that going up stairs can be kinda hard to manage sometimes with the teleport. What i've loved doing lately is sticking a video to my left hand so I can watch some netflix or giant bomb while digging and building.
This reminds me of thought i had today. There isn't much VR software, which uses Argument Reality for there menus or information displays effective. Everything is either on the controller, physical object or a menu directly in your view. Especially the first two limit the interactions with the world, since you lose one controller. Or you have to physical move back in view of your menu. I noticed this with the VR Editor of Unity, where the windows setting are also on the controller.

Simply give the user a screen in my field of view, which he can move, change visibility, transparency or lock into place. Those screen should be following him around, similar to an UI in a video game. I know there are problems, since the field of view in VR is limited, but its better then losing one controller for a menu window.

Argument Reality in VR is really underdeveloped.

Try turning off the chaperone walls and just leaving a floor outline. I've been doing that lately and it's so much nicer since my room is so small. The blue outline on the floor is just present enough to not let me slam into walls, but it easily slips into the background of my mind unlike the chaperone walls.
I use the Advanced VR Setting addon. It lets you change, how close you need to come to the chaperone walls, until they are shown. It is helpful for the last inches before hinting my wall.

Zalusithix

I really gotta set this up so i can go back to watching all the seasons of Babylon 5 in Elite Dangerous when doing non combat missions. its the thing that I miss about non vr elite the most

Worth noting that the dev is working on getting a far more efficient version on Steam proper which will render the current version obsolete.

Congrats to the Arizona Sunshine devs. The game did $1.4M revenue in its first month.

They also just released an update with full locomotion.

Source

Nice, time to start playing the game. On steam it reads like you can tweak the walking method to your needs. Whatever that means but it sounds a bit more than just your regular press forward to walk and that's it.

SomTervo

The Mojang website is good man

atom519

Nice, time to start playing the game. On steam it reads like you can tweak the walking method to your needs. Whatever that means but it sounds a bit more than just your regular press forward to walk and that's it.

Arizona Sunshine is really fun to play online coop. The IK for player models are really goofy and downright hilarious at times.

Zalusithix

I haven't played the demo yet (and it's apparently missing locomotion options that'll be in the real game), but Dimension Hunter has to be one of the most unique looking titles for VR. No doubt a nightmare of smearing for those forcing true blacks on their Vive though.
ss_37c421bbcbc37caa063eb05ded2db56826e44d81.jpg

ss_9d76293a781977b84e1d583aed672245005be919.jpg

atom519

I haven't played the demo yet (and it's apparently missing locomotion options that'll be in the real game), but Dimension Hunter has to be one of the most unique looking titles for VR. No doubt a nightmare of smearing for those forcing true blacks on their Vive though.
ss_37c421bbcbc37caa063eb05ded2db56826e44d81.jpg

ss_9d76293a781977b84e1d583aed672245005be919.jpg

I played through it last night.

It's a rail shooter of sorts, where you are slowly pushed forward with an occasional stop at certain places to fight enemies. EDM is pumping into your headphones entire time, I enjoyed it but might be turn off for others. Shooting is fun enough with the pistols, I briefly tried the charging crossbow type weapon, the others I really couldn't figure out how to use. Visuals were great, very madworld inspired.

So overall enjoyable, but nothing that will knock your socks off. Think it only took me around 10min or so before it was over. Will be excited to see the end product. Could definitely use some variation of enemies.

Compsiox

Banned
For fucks sake, do sites even do the most basic research into what they report on these days? (Rhetorical question.)

Those in addition to the one yesterday (along with more I'm sure) based on the one original article:
HTC Vive fitness tracker has been passed through the FCC

If you're going to report on something that is tied to the Vive brand name and muse about how it's unusual, perhaps do some research into VR and what has been happening recently? I mean, it's not like you'd have to look back that far!
vive-tracker-and-accessories-3.jpg

I can't wait to get my 2PYV100 "fitness" tracker!

The media is so unreliable.

TheRed

I just went through the Deus Ex VR experience. It had no interactivity but I still liked it because I really liked DE:MD.
I loved the detailed environments in that game and it was super cool to be going through them in VR and imagining this is what Jensen saw when going through. I wish there was more of them.
And when they show the models at the end I stood up and man Jensen looked short lol.

I would take having every environment of the game in VR even with zero interaction, I just want to see it all up close.
Now I want a Dishonored 2 VR experience because I'm playing that and it has amazing environments.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
played the first 2 fights of knock out league and its a super solid vr punch out

only seems to have the first early access circuit with 4 fighters (more being added) but the 2 i fought had really good personalities and over the top ring entrances with varied move sets as the match went on

the fighting felt real good and smooth can step to the sides and back or duck to dodge unblockable attacks and hold gloves up to your face and hold triggers to block (drains stamina fast and breaks block after a second or two so timing is a must)

overall if you are looking for something new id recommend it was really fun

Is the Deus Ex VR experience worth a playthrough if I haven't played Deus Ex? Will it spoil anything if I ever do decide to play Deus Ex? (Not planning on playing the main series, but I avoid spoilers as a policy in case I change my mind.)

atom519

played the first 2 fights of knock out league and its a super solid vr punch out

only seems to have the first early access circuit with 4 fighters (more being added) but the 2 i fought had really good personalities and over the top ring entrances with varied move sets as the match went on

the fighting felt real good and smooth can step to the sides and back or duck to dodge unblockable attacks and hold gloves up to your face and hold triggers to block (drains stamina fast and breaks block after a second or two so timing is a must)

overall if you are looking for something new id recommend it was really fun

Oh nice didn't realize this was available in early access already. I love punch out, definitely trying this out.

TheRed

Is the Deus Ex VR experience worth a playthrough if I haven't played Deus Ex? Will it spoil anything if I ever do decide to play Deus Ex? (Not planning on playing the main series, but I avoid spoilers as a policy in case I change my mind.)

Idk, I don't think there's much value to it unless you've played the main game and recognize the places. Everything is pretty static in the environments, and they don't look wow mindblowing in VR or anything aside from having more detail than usual VR stuff. Just kinda neat if you've played the game and seen them on a regular screen before.

Though it's so short if you just want to look at something new in VR there's nothing wrong with doing that without playing the game.

Zalusithix

I played through it last night.

It's a rail shooter of sorts, where you are slowly pushed forward with an occasional stop at certain places to fight enemies. EDM is pumping into your headphones entire time, I enjoyed it but might be turn off for others. Shooting is fun enough with the pistols, I briefly tried the charging crossbow type weapon, the others I really couldn't figure out how to use. Visuals were great, very madworld inspired.

So overall enjoyable, but nothing that will knock your socks off. Think it only took me around 10min or so before it was over. Will be excited to see the end product. Could definitely use some variation of enemies.

Yeah, as far as gameplay goes, the demo didn't sound like it was pioneering anything new or exciting from what I managed to glean from those that spoke about. It was just the art style that really stood out. From the black white and red color scheme, to the comic book sound effects, to the asset designs. So many VR games are visually forgettable even if the gameplay is good, so it's always nice to see ones that look nice and unique.

Without context I don't know if it spoils anything. But also without context you won't get much out of the demo I don't think.

You can walk around some rooms from the game and look at some character models (one of em a boss)

Just tried out Arizona Sunshine new locomotion mechanics, I set it to the touchpad hold and point method and after a few minutes of playing it worked quite well . You can strafe and sprint too.
Have to say though tthat after having seen Pocket Strafe and having played the Freedom Locomotin System Demo I now feel like every game should have this form of locomotion as an option. I'm glad the devs added the "standard" way of moving about in fps games but now there is even something better out there, I'm never satisfied lol
-
It's the first time playing this game for me and while I had fun, it's probably the least scary zombie shooter I have ever played, but I'm still at the beginning of the game so that can change I suppose.

I tried out the Freedom Locomotion system last night and wasn't particularly impressed. Transitioning between running -> not running is too imprecise and clunky. I guess the idea is you use normal walking for precise movement, and artificial-sprints for traveling quickly, but my brain doesn't work that way.

I can see walk in place locomotion being great once we have actual foot tracking. Until then I'd prefer even just plain teleporting.

I tried out the Freedom Locomotion system last night and wasn't particularly impressed. Transitioning between running -> not running is too imprecise and clunky. I guess the idea is you use normal walking for precise movement, and artificial-sprints for traveling quickly, but my brain doesn't work that way.

I can see walk in place locomotion being great once we have actual foot tracking. Until then I'd prefer even just plain teleporting.

I didn't like running at all (lifting my feet off the ground) I figured I d just do the skiing motion, just bending the knees slightly and swaying with the arm/arms a bit. This gives me very precise control over the speed of my movement + the headset doesn't whip up and down slightly compared to actually running in place. Maybe the motionsickness reducing effect is not as strong that way but I like it more.

When my girlfriend was visiting for Christmas we played VR The Diner Duo, which was a lot of fun. I'm excited to play through the rest of it once we move in together sometime next month. Besides Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, are there any other good local multiplayer games like this where one person is on the computer and the other uses the headset? A quick search shows Black Hat Cooperative and Ruckus Ridge, but I was wondering if there were anymore or what experiences were like with those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom