• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
When my girlfriend was visiting for Christmas we played VR The Diner Duo, which was a lot of fun. I'm excited to play through the rest of it once we move in together sometime next month. Besides Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, are there any other good local multiplayer games like this where one person is on the computer and the other uses the headset? A quick search shows Black Hat Cooperative and Ruckus Ridge, but I was wondering if there were anymore or what experiences were like with those two.

mass exodus

one person plays with the vive as a giant overseer who can pick up small robots and put them into a grinder to destroy them while the person on the computer plays as a small robot trying to fit in with a crowd of npc robots trying to turn off power nodes and deactivate the overseer

When my girlfriend was visiting for Christmas we played VR The Diner Duo, which was a lot of fun. I'm excited to play through the rest of it once we move in together sometime next month. Besides Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, are there any other good local multiplayer games like this where one person is on the computer and the other uses the headset? A quick search shows Black Hat Cooperative and Ruckus Ridge, but I was wondering if there were anymore or what experiences were like with those two.

Panoptic and Mass Exodus are two takes on a very similar style involving that.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So Deus Ex Vr thing was okay. It looks pretty neat, especially the character models at the end. The detail on them was outstanding. The thing I noticed that was a huge burden was only being able to move forward where you were facing. That gave me a very swimmy feeling in my brain that reminds me strongly of motion sickness.

Dimension hunter seemed all right. I wish you could move at your own pace as finding cover when being attacked from more than one side was pretty frustrating. It's got a great look going but just seems like a bland shooter outside of that. I'd love to be able to explore more of the world ala Vanishing Realms than be on a rail shooter adventure in the world they've created.

So I feel like every other time I'm getting into VR I realise a part of the controllers are starting to get worse. The touch pad on one of them wont click down on the top and right now, though my finger position is still tracked (though not as accurately). And now the other one is starting to do that too, it still detects a click at least but I physically don't really feel it clicking down now on the right side. It's super disapointing because this straight up makes some stuff insanely frustrating to do, and they are only getting worse. If I send them in for like a repair how long can I expect to wait and then also have to pay?

kinggroin

Banned
So I feel like every other time I'm getting into VR I realise a part of the controllers are starting to get worse. The touch pad on one of them wont click down on the top and right now, though my finger position is still tracked (though not as accurately). And now the other one is starting to do that too, it still detects a click at least but I physically don't really feel it clicking down now on the right side. It's super disapointing because this straight up makes some stuff insanely frustrating to do, and they are only getting worse. If I send them in for like a repair how long can I expect to wait and then also have to pay?

Yo this exact thing happened to me. In the middle of the Deus Ex experience. It just stopped moving middle of me using it.

Zalusithix

I have no idea what the current RMA wait time is, but yeah, unfortunately the touchpads are known to have issues with the click over time. It doesn't happen to everybody's controller, but I've seen enough people complain about it that it's obviously something that needs a redesign. Basically a rubber nub on the back of the pad mechanism which makes contact with the switch slides out of place. On the plus side, it can be self-repaired fairly easily, but obviously that'd void the warranty.

The actual capacitive tracking should be unaffected though. If that's screwing up, you should try a recalibration.

mass exodus

one person plays with the vive as a giant overseer who can pick up small robots and put them into a grinder to destroy them while the person on the computer plays as a small robot trying to fit in with a crowd of npc robots trying to turn off power nodes and deactivate the overseer

Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded the Panoptic demo and added Mass Exodus to my wishlist. I look forward to checking them out next month along with playing more VR The Diner Duo.

Metal B

I really hope, there will be a game, which is much closer to Spy Party. Giant godly head is cool, but also very abstract. The player as a sniper would also have to deal with the physical limits of holding the rifle for long times and the other player reading his body language in local play (like the shooter needs to read the players on the field).

Durante

Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded the Panoptic demo and added Mass Exodus to my wishlist. I look forward to checking them out next month along with playing more VR The Diner Duo.
IMHO nothing released yet with local multiplayer is as surprisingly addictive as VR The Diner Duo.
I'd be interested to know how far you get we started to seriously struggle in the master chef levels.

atom519

Had an absolute blast playing Knockout League last night, highly recommended if you enjoy the punch out series and are okay with getting a little active.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/488920/

Currently a little light on content, but high production values across the board. Guess the devs were part of the group bankrolled by Vive Studios? Animations, sound, presentation, and enemy design are great so far.

Protip - you won't get far by blocking early, have to really memorize boss patterns and time it perfectly before punch lands if you want to counterattack. I had a few questionable punches that didn't seem to land, otherwise great tracking and collision detection.

Now I just need someone to help me beat Crimson Fang, can't seem to knock her down that 3rd time :(

Had an absolute blast playing Knockout League last night, highly recommended if you enjoy the punch out series and are okay with getting a little active.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/488920/

Currently a little light on content, but high production values across the board. Guess the devs were part of the group bankrolled by Vive Studios? Animations, sound, presentation, and enemy design are great so far.

Protip - you won't get far by blocking early, have to really memorize boss patterns and time it perfectly before punch lands if you want to counterattack. I had a few questionable punches that didn't seem to land, otherwise great tracking and collision detection.

Now I just need someone to help me beat Crimson Fang, can't seem to knock her down that 3rd time :(

Would someone with barely above the minimum space requirements have issues? I know Gorn requires more space than I have. Even stuff like Raw Data can be pretty sketchy in my tiny space.

Realized last night that my entire play area and chaperone boundaries had shifted about a foot to the right. I'm glad a caught it without causing any damage!

My lighthouses seem secure, I'm not sure how they could have moved...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Realized last night that my entire play area and chaperone boundaries had shifted about a foot to the right. I'm glad a caught it without causing any damage!

My lighthouses seem secure, I'm not sure how they could have moved...

are they screwed into something? they do vibrate so they can jostle around a little bit

atom519

Would someone with barely above the minimum space requirements have issues? I know Gorn requires more space than I have. Even stuff like Raw Data can be pretty sketchy in my tiny space.

Hrm tough to say really. If you can lean left/right, and make a fully extended swing forward without coming close to hitting anything I would think you would be okay.

One thing to note is the game does require you to stand at the very back of your playspace, meant to include that in my previous post. This is smart because it maximizes the distance between your fists and the wall, however the downside is your chaperone will be visible pretty much entire time as it recognizes you being near the border.

I actually disabled my chaperone altogether after getting comfortable with the controls, but I have a roughly 10x14ft area.

Yo this exact thing happened to me. In the middle of the Deus Ex experience. It just stopped moving middle of me using it.

lol that's actually the exact thing I was trying where I got super frustrated recently, cause of my track pad I couldn't walk forward so I had to walk backwards lmao

I have no idea what the current RMA wait time is, but yeah, unfortunately the touchpads are known to have issues with the click over time. It doesn't happen to everybody's controller, but I've seen enough people complain about it that it's obviously something that needs a redesign. Basically a rubber nub on the back of the pad mechanism which makes contact with the switch slides out of place. On the plus side, it can be self-repaired fairly easily, but obviously that'd void the warranty.

The actual capacitive tracking should be unaffected though. If that's screwing up, you should try a recalibration.

Ah ok, I'll definitely be looking into sending them in. Hopefully whenever the prototype controllers become finished they end up being better well made overall :/ they better change the side buttons too, those are just the worst buttons in terms of feel.

Zalusithix

Ah ok, I'll definitely be looking into sending them in. Hopefully whenever the prototype controllers become finished they end up being better well made overall :/ they better change the side buttons too, those are just the worst buttons in terms of feel.

The side buttons are gone completely in Valve's prototype. The functionality is replaced with completely capacitive analog sensing of how much the hand is closed around them. The digital button backwards compatibility will be set at some arbitrary point in that range.

A couple of quick impressions:

Dimension Hunter
ss_37c421bbcbc37caa063eb05ded2db56826e44d81.600x338.jpg

It has a really cool art style that I hope some other game replicates. The demo itself I didn't find all that fun though. It's perfectly serviceable, but doesn't do anything all that interesting or feel all that great to shoot at stuff. The music was pretty cool though.

Compound v 0.0.3

WrNFFZiQ9jZiU.gif

Man this is turning out so good. The SMG feels amazing and is really fun to use/reload. The new enemy is cool. Just about everything about this is turning out really solid and I'm really excited to see where it goes. Crazy how such a simple game that's essentially Wolfenstein 3D in VR can be so fun.

Knockout League

header.jpg

Only played the tutorial and the first match, but this is totally the Punchout in VR game I've wanted for a while now. The characters are great and the graphics are really good. Seems light on content for now, but so far so good.

Please Don't Touch Anything 3D

header.jpg

I haven't bought it yet, but this got Vive support recently. I've heard great impressions of the flatscreen version and the Oculus one with just controller support, so I imagine it's really good. Anyone check this out yet?

Cosmic Trip

IlliterateMemorableDrafthorse.gif

They just released this gif of a map and unit selection that I think they just added. They say RTS mode should be coming soon which I think is all this game needs to make it a must have.

Dear Angelica

Holy shit is this a beautiful little short. It's gorgeous and well acted and a must see. It's only on the Oculus store, but it's free so go get it.

The side buttons are gone completely in Valve's prototype. The functionality is replaced with completely capacitive analog sensing of how much the hand is closed around them. The digital button backwards compatibility will be set at some arbitrary point in that range.

I don't quite understand this. You're always holding the controllers, so how do you "let go" of an object? By gripping more softly? That seems really error prone.

I'd be interested to know how far you get we started to seriously struggle in the master chef levels.

Yeah, same here. My plan was to play through the 30 levels on the one-star difficulty, but my girlfriend was getting bored so she upped the difficulty on level 4. We'll be able to play more of it next month. I'm hoping that our experience playing Overcooked will somehow help us on the later levels! One thing I did from that was put out a bunch of plates with the bottom half of a bun already on them. We never got to any levels where that was actually necessary yet, though.

Durante

Yeah, same here. My plan was to play through the 30 levels on the one-star difficulty, but my girlfriend was getting bored so she upped the difficulty on level 4. We'll be able to play more of it next month. I'm hoping that our experience playing Overcooked will somehow help us on the later levels! One thing I did from that was put out a bunch of plates with the bottom half of a bun already on them. We never got to any levels where that was actually necessary yet, though.
We played all 30 levels on the normal difficulty.
The really hard part starts after that.

Preparing buns is the least you need to do for the later levels. You basically need to spend every second you are not actively making a burger preparing ingredients for future ones, while maintaining your ingredient queues and preemptively removing old prepared ones before they get stale. And the waiter has to be almost perfect in queuing up orders and delivering them. Fun stuff ;)

SomTervo

The other week this was happening to me and a good temporary fix is to hold the controller with the dodgy track pad in your right hand and whack the controller quite hard into your left. Just nudges the rubber pad back into place.

Only temporary but doesn't void warranty. Yeah i can't believe they cut corners on such important glue.

A couple of quick impressions:

Dimension Hunter

It has a really cool art style that I hope some other game replicates. The demo itself I didn't find all that fun though. It's perfectly serviceable, but doesn't do anything all that interesting or feel all that great to shoot at stuff. The music was pretty cool though.

Compound v 0.0.3

WrNFFZiQ9jZiU.gif

Man this is turning out so good. The SMG feels amazing and is really fun to use/reload. The new enemy is cool. Just about everything about this is turning out really solid and I'm really excited to see where it goes. Crazy how such a simple game that's essentially Wolfenstein 3D in VR can be so fun.

Knockout League

header.jpg

Only played the tutorial and the first match, but this is totally the Punchout in VR game I've wanted for a while now. The characters are great and the graphics are really good. Seems light on content for now, but so far so good.

Please Don't Touch Anything 3D

header.jpg

I haven't bought it yet, but this got Vive support recently. I've heard great impressions of the flatscreen version and the Oculus one with just controller support, so I imagine it's really good. Anyone check this out yet?

Cosmic Trip

IlliterateMemorableDrafthorse.gif

They just released this gif of a map and unit selection that I think they just added. They say RTS mode should be coming soon which I think is all this game needs to make it a must have.

Dear Angelica

Holy shit is this a beautiful little short. It's gorgeous and well acted and a must see. It's only on the Oculus store, but it's free so go get it.

Man, I'm loving these art styles. I won't be able to really play Vive the way I'd like for a few more weeks, but these seem like they'll be way better than "kinda" realistic graphics. I'll definitely need to check these out.

Zalusithix

Crazy how such a simple game that's essentially Wolfenstein 3D in VR can be so fun.

VR with tracked controllers has led to a "back to basics" reset of game design. We've injected many layers of complexity on top of core gameplay over the years, but VR has stripped those away and left us with the unadulterated core components to rebuild around. This leaves us with many simple, but fun experiences. The layers (albeit different ones) will be added again over time, but I kind of pity the current generation of gamer that can't appreciate the simplicity of what we have in VR right now.

Compsiox

Banned
Dream:

Nvidia announces 1080Ti for $250 in an effort to get more people into VR. They partner with HTC to cut the price of the Vive in half.

Everyone buys 1080Tis, a year or two later everyone on PC owns a Vive.

/dream

Too bad Nvidia is a public company so this could never happen lol.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Has anyone had this problem? I decided to boot up the Vive since it's been a week or so and suddenly I'm having a huge tracking issue. Tracking has never posed a problem before; I've not moved the base stations, and it keeps doing this weird thing in the Steam VR dashboard, where they will both be green, then one will go gray, then both gray, then one back on, then both on, over and over again. It's jittery as hell and keeps losing signal every second.

I re-ran the room setup and for two seconds everything seemed okay only for it to get all jittery again and it's been doing it ever since. My base-station lights have not changed and continue to show bright green lights with the b/c letters displayed on their respective bases. Firmware has been updated.

Thoughts?

Dream:

Nvidia announces 1080Ti for $250 in an effort to get more people into VR. They partner with HTC to cut the price of the Vive in half.

Everyone buys 1080Tis, a year or two later everyone on PC owns a Vive.

/dream

Too bad Nvidia is a public company so this could never happen lol.

lol I paid like 650 for my 980ti, if I could get the successor for $400 less I would be jumping for joy

Even then I'll be waiting for a 1180ti or 1280ti tbh, by then the jump in power will be worth it for me, right now I'm super content.

atom519

How the hell do you beat Cham Cham in Knockout League?!? Game is amazing, but damn hard.

Cham Cham? Are we playing different regional settings?

If it's Crimson Fang, I finally beat her tonight. Man... feels so good. Was hooting & hollering from my basement. Easily spent a solid hour fighting her over and over and over which as anyone knows feels like an entirety in VR. I kept getting her sooo close to that 3rd knockdown but would run out of time or her special would hit me for the TKO.

Now on to Scurvey Jones, already looks to be an uphill battle. Seems the game really forces you to learn the mechanics one fight at a time. With Crimson you're forced to block and then they follow that up Scurvey who you have to dodge. I assume last guy will be a solid combination of both.

Either way, really loving this game so far. FYI - the devs just updated today saying those complaining about play space location will have options soon. http://steamcommunity.com/app/488920/discussions/0/141136086941694466/

After playing a while longer with Arizona Sunshines new locomotion options I believe they didn't playtest them enough or I glitched the game out somehow. It happens very often that I get stuck on geometry, you just stop moving about and have to steer around the problematic area which is kinda ridiculous if its a small stone on the ground or the stairs in a house. When zombie hordes attack this can kill you.

kinggroin

Banned
Cham Cham? Are we playing different regional settings?

If it's Crimson Fang, I finally beat her tonight. Man... feels so good. Was hooting & hollering from my basement. Easily spent a solid hour fighting her over and over and over which as anyone knows feels like an entirety in VR. I kept getting her sooo close to that 3rd knockdown but would run out of time or her special would hit me for the TKO.

Now on to Scurvey Jones, already looks to be an uphill battle. Seems the game really forces you to learn the mechanics one fight at a time. With Crimson you're forced to block and then they follow that up Scurvey who you have to dodge. I assume last guy will be a solid combination of both.

Either way, really loving this game so far. FYI - the devs just updated today saying those complaining about play space location will have options soon. http://steamcommunity.com/app/488920/discussions/0/141136086941694466/

She reminds me of Cham Cham.

How did you prevail

SomTervo

Has anyone had this problem? I decided to boot up the Vive since it's been a week or so and suddenly I'm having a huge tracking issue. Tracking has never posed a problem before; I've not moved the base stations, and it keeps doing this weird thing in the Steam VR dashboard, where they will both be green, then one will go gray, then both gray, then one back on, then both on, over and over again. It's jittery as hell and keeps losing signal every second.

I re-ran the room setup and for two seconds everything seemed okay only for it to get all jittery again and it's been doing it ever since. My base-station lights have not changed and continue to show bright green lights with the b/c letters displayed on their respective bases. Firmware has been updated.

Thoughts?

Sometimes something as simple as having a picture on the wall or a plate or (once for us) a metallic barbell lying around can cause bothersome reflections. Aside from that, sorry, no ideas.

There's a new firmware update for base stations, try that.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
punch her when she raises 1 arm dont when she raises 2 till after her mask falls

block when she dives block right if she fakes the first dive

move left if she moves to the left move right if she moves to the right

block above your head if she jumps up

move back when she crouches and dose her flip uppercut

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Thoughts?

Since they are on b/c you should have the cable connected so it shouldn't matter if you have something blocking them from seeing each other.

If you can, look at just one and see if it stays stable until you move around, facing away.

Side note, I had my SteamVR completely stop working when I updated my nVidia drivers. Once I rolled them back I was able to get it running again.

Zalusithix

Since they are on b/c you should have the cable connected so it shouldn't matter if you have something blocking them from seeing each other.

If you can, look at just one and see if it stays stable until you move around, facing away.

Side note, I had my SteamVR completely stop working when I updated my nVidia drivers. Once I rolled them back I was able to get it running again.
Channels b+c are for wireless sync pulse. A+b are for cabled use.

Zalusithix

I stand corrected. Perhaps there's a chandelier or light fixture in the way?

Unless they installed said chandelier / light fixture within the past week, I doubt it. It was an existing setup that doesn't work anymore. Stuff that would have interfered with the syncing should have done so from day one. The only way I could conceive for wireless syncing to go from working to not working without new physical objects in the way would be if the room was repainted and the new color doesn't bounce the IR light as well as the old paint.

I don't know what the problem is on their end, but I'd first verify that all the lasers/LEDs are working. If one of the laser diodes bit the dust, or a motor stopped working, tracking could become quite wonky. Assuming no issues there, I'd disconnect one lighthouse at a time and see if it's stable with one or the other but not both. Another thing to try would be plugging the controllers in via USB to the computer to bypass the wireless communication to the headset. If issues persist across all tests, then it's probably a software / host computer issue.

atom519

She reminds me of Cham Cham.

How did you prevail

Not sure how far you have got with her, for me I couldn't get past her phase 3.

The biggest thing is her jumping special, you have to dodge left/right and do a quick counter as she's stunned. The rest is mainly just recognizing the pattern of her punches, and blocking them quickly. Took me a long time. She also has this audible "You're Finished" move near the end of her set where she like jumps forward and feigns a punch then does an uppercut. I couldn't figure out timing of the block so ended up dodging it and then another counter.

I don't know, tough to describe I guess. Really fun fight though.

RurouniZel

Unless they installed said chandelier / light fixture within the past week, I doubt it. It was an existing setup that doesn't work anymore. Stuff that would have interfered with the syncing should have done so from day one. The only way I could conceive for wireless syncing to go from working to not working without new physical objects in the way would be if the room was repainted and the new color doesn't bounce the IR light as well as the old paint.

I don't know what the problem is on their end, but I'd first verify that all the lasers/LEDs are working. If one of the laser diodes bit the dust, or a motor stopped working, tracking could become quite wonky. Assuming no issues there, I'd disconnect one lighthouse at a time and see if it's stable with one or the other but not both. Another thing to try would be plugging the controllers in via USB to the computer to bypass the wireless communication to the headset. If issues persist across all tests, then it's probably a software / host computer issue.

Thanks. I'll try these when I get home. If all else fails I can see if I have a restore point from a week or two ago if it's a software/driver issue. Is there a guide on how to completely remove all Vive/Stream VR drivers from the PC to do a clean reinstall should it come to that?

EDIT: Also after posting last night I tried to ensure all connections were secure including the ones in the HMD. No avail. :/

Zalusithix

Thanks. I'll try these when I get home. If all else fails I can see if I have a restore point from a week or two ago if it's a software/driver issue. Is there a guide on how to completely remove all Vive/Stream VR drivers from the PC to do a clean reinstall should it come to that?

EDIT: Also after posting last night I tried to ensure all connections were secure including the ones in the HMD. No avail. :/

That functionality is actually baked into the Steam VR settings window somewhere. I can't remember exactly where off the top of my head, but it uninstalls and reinstalls all the drivers. I've used it a few times to get my BT lighthouse powerdown working again after power outages get them to power back up on their own. In my case, a reboot would probably work as well, but it is faster and less intrusive to just do the driver thing rather than deal with shutting down every program I have open at the time.

As for the physical connections, it'd be unlikely to be that with the problems mentioned.

RurouniZel

That functionality is actually baked into the Steam VR settings window somewhere. I can't remember exactly where off the top of my head, but it uninstalls and reinstalls all the drivers. I've used it a few times to get my BT lighthouse powerdown working again after power outages get them to power back up on their own. In my case, a reboot would probably work as well, but it is faster and less intrusive to just do the driver thing rather than deal with shutting down every program I have open at the time.

As for the physical connections, it'd be unlikely to be that with the problems mentioned.

Okay, I'll look in the settings again, I must have missed it. orz

RurouniZel

Thanks Zalusithix for the tips. I used the Steam settings to disable all USB drivers and reinstall them. After restarting my PC this fixed it and everything is back to normal now.

Thank you SO much! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom