• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I gave Destinations a try for the first time a few days ago.

It's really intriguing. The locations range from very realistic photogrammetry of historical sites over random fantasy and science fiction to actual minigames. And in all of them you can spawn various tools/props and play around with them.

One of the most interesting aspects is the technical one, since it seems pretty clearly based on Source 2. The IQ/performance tradeoff seems excellent, and it has some great shadow quality in difficult situations.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have spent too much time in it alone, but with a friend we actually explored the environments, found some "geocaches", played catch in historical sites, attacked each other's drones, and tried to break the engine physics simulation for a bit over 2 hours.

Also, Croteam reinforce how awesome they are (as if they needed to) by offering a really neat free Talos Principle environment in Destinations, with a mini-quest too!

Zalusithix

It's really intriguing. The locations range from very realistic photogrammetry of historical sites over random fantasy and science fiction to actual minigames. And in all of them you can spawn various tools/props and play around with them.

One of the most interesting aspects is the technical one, since it seems pretty clearly based on Source 2. The IQ/performance tradeoff seems excellent, and it has some great shadow quality in difficult situations.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have spent too much time in it alone, but with a friend we actually explored the environments, found some "geocaches", played catch in historical sites, attacked each other's drones, and tried to break the engine physics simulation for a bit over 2 hours.

Also, Croteam reinforce how awesome they are (as if they needed to) by offering a really neat free Talos Principle environment in Destinations, with a mini-quest too!

Destinations was worth the download/try for the Curiosity/MSL Mars level alone IMO. Gives a feel for how big that thing that we landed on another planet actually is.

Tain

Yeah, it's been a while since I opened it up (mostly not since I made this), but I think it's an intriguing project. The Source 2 editor tools are pretty interesting to work with, too.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Affected:The Manor will be coming to Vive soon (after Oculus Rift release in end Feb).
They also announced the other Affected VR titles will be coming too (The Asylum,The Carnival, The Cabin)

Hellgate London also coming to PC VR

Also new game ReVector announced for Vive
https://youtu.be/p0EEZty8EKk

Oh wow, I didn't realize how involved this was. I'd always assumed it was just a set of locations, like that Postcards pocket-universe in The Lab.

Donos

:O :O :O

Looks like i just won a Vive + gaming pc (straigt from htc). Tempted to try it out but i could use the money atm. Doesn't Vive need a bigger space for that room scale thingy? My living room is rather small...
Not sure if it's worth opening it for trying and loosing some resell value. The vids here make it really hard not to try it though. Going to see if i can resist when the packet arrives...
Don't know the specs of the rig too.

Crouch-sliding and wallrunning :O

http://i.giphy.com/90Lb6itSc8kMg.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.giphy.com/hcwnXvyl3JMFG.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hngggggggg

Not sure if it's worth opening it for trying and loosing some resell value. The vids here make it really hard not to try it though. Going to see if i can resist when the packet arrives...

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if you're planning to sell it, you really shouldn't open it. You're losing a lot of money, and the setup process for the Vive is pretty involved.

They're on display at the Microsoft Store, so that's an option depending on where you live. Or, of course, you could keep it. As far as space is concerned, you need to figure out the largest complete rectangle of free space you could fit in your living room.

Donos

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if you're planning to sell it, you really shouldn't open it. You're losing a lot of money in the process, and the setup process for the Vive is pretty involved.

They're on display on the Microsoft Store, so that's an option depending on where you live. Or, of course, you could keep it. As far as space is concerned, you need to figure out the largest complete rectangle of free space you could fit in your living room.

Thanks. Well, i'm going to consider it. Have to youtube all the good/best Vive game to see how the library has developed. Even selling it later for less would be a plus for me but i don't want to keep it just for small/short "experiences"/tech demos.

Zalusithix

:O :O :O

Looks like i just won a Vive + gaming pc (straigt from htc). Tempted to try it out but i could use the money atm. Doesn't Vive need a bigger space for that room scale thingy? My living room is rather small...
Don't know the specs of the rig too.

Hngggggggg

You need a minimum of 2x1.5m free space for roomscale. Any less and you either have to cheat during the setup phase, or use standing play instead.

If you do try it, and in reference to those gifs, I would not recommend Sairento in full movement mode to a person new to VR, or anything like it for that matter. Start simple and move your way up to titles with more active movement as you learn your VR limits.

Zalusithix

Neat I guess... but what's the gameplay actually like? I find myself asking that after a lot of VR trailers.

I'd imagine rather similar to Grav|Lab and Bounce, albeit with a slightly different physics twist of using varying masses (and thus gravity) to alter the projectile vectors. If you've played either of those, it's easy enough to get a rough enough feel for what ReVector is aiming for.

Zalusithix

IKinema full body real-time IK with 3 additional tracking points.

It still will have the possibility for inaccuracies on the elbow/knee locations, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we have now. Three more tracking points shouldn't be prohibitively expensive with the new tracking chips, and equipping them shouldn't be too cumbersome. That said, I have my doubts that we'd something like this bundled in a Vive 2, but possibly a kit sold on the side?

It still will have the possibility for inaccuracies on the elbow/knee locations, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we have now. Three more tracking points shouldn't be prohibitively expensive with the new tracking chips, and equipping them shouldn't be too cumbersome. That said, I have my doubts that we'd something like this bundled in a Vive 2, but possibly a kit sold on the side?

I feel like having a tracking point on my back would be uncomfortable. Not any more-so than the headset, I suppose, but that's kind of essential. And you'd presumably need a belt or strap of some sort to hold it in place...

So I finally got around to buying Wii Remote wrist straps to replace the disaster-waiting-to-happen ones that come with the Vive. Much later than I should have, but at least I've lucky until now.

How do I physically change them? Is there a video of some kind? I figure out how I'd get the old ones out, much less put the new ones in. I've also never been able to tie a bow... is that going to be a problem?

So I finally got around to buying Wii Remote wrist straps to replace the disaster-waiting-to-happen ones that come with the Vive. Much later than I should have, but at least I've lucky until now.

How do I physically change them? Is there a video of some kind? I figure out how I'd get the old ones out, much less put the new ones in. I've also never been able to tie a bow... is that going to be a problem?

Super simple. Pull the loop at the base of the strap through the loop in the controller. Then thread the loop with the rest of the strap. Bingo bango.

Sorry if this isn't the place for it, but I released a new version of a little VR project I've been working on, on and off for a while now. Basically I've been recreating the restaurant from Five Nights at Freddy's as accurately as I can, so one could walk around and explore it. Still a WIP, but it's nearly complete.

I know FNaF is far from everyone's cup of tea, but if anyone's interested, you can check it out here.

SimplexPL

Solus project got another VR update.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/75835160704718725

Game now defaults to following the orientation of the controller and not the headset. This can be changed back in the options if you prefer.
I think that's a big deal, but I'm not sure why. If someone could explain to me why movement orientation bound to the headset is bad, I'd be grateful.
I just remember that many games were criticised for such implementation.

I think that's a big deal, but I'm not sure why. If someone could explain to me why movement orientation bound to the headset is bad, I'd be grateful.
I just remember that many games were criticised for such implementation.

I haaaate when movement is bound to head look, for a couple reasons. First and foremost, it makes me nauseous. Any little variation in my gaze making my path of travel change sucks.

Besides that, I just find it much more preferable to be able to move in a direction and look around while continuing in a straight line.

Besides that, I just find it much more preferable to be able to move in a direction and look around while continuing in a straight line.

This is by far the most important factor to me. You never move the direction you are looking in real life, so it's a complete disconnect to how stuff normally work. With controller bound direction, you can do anything from always keeping it the same direction as your torso (more comfortable) to darting around in any direction while still keeping your focus on whatever you are doing (less comfortable, but more usable).

The ideal would be a torso tracker though. Then you could both represent your body's direction in a manner that closely resembles real life while also being free to use both hands to do whatever the game needs you to do.

Zalusithix

This is by far the most important factor to me. You never move the direction you are looking in real life, so it's a complete disconnect to how stuff normally work. With controller bound direction, you can do anything from always keeping it the same direction as your torso (more comfortable) to darting around in any direction while still keeping your focus on whatever you are doing (less comfortable, but more usable).

The ideal would be a torso tracker though. Then you could both represent your body's direction in a manner that closely resembles real life while also being free to use both hands to do whatever the game needs you to do.

I think you need to lay off the booze there Zepp. ;)

I certainly could have written that differently, yeah.

Rotating your head never controls the direction you are going in real life. Even when I am drinking.

In case anyone missed it, apparently Ubi is making an Assassin's Creed VR escape room game.

CjKUO9q.jpg

AlanOC91

Thinking of selling me Vive soon. Have an offer of €510 for it which I'm not thrilled with but I always knew it would be a hard re-sale.

Can't get over the motion sickness. It's horrible. I keep getting it. VR is amazing but the motion sickness has ruined it all for me.

Durante

What are you playing which causes you to get motion sick?

The vast majority of Vive games (those with room-scale and/or teleport locomotion) really shouldn't do that.

SimplexPL

In case anyone missed it, apparently Ubi is making an Assassin's Creed VR escape room game.
Only apparently it's not:

Update: Matt Stenquist, the designer of the icons uncovered yesterday, has taken to Twitter to explain that his work was a collaboration between Ubisoft and his university, and not an official project. No Assassin’s Creed VR yet, then.

Everyone who is spreading the Ubisoft Assasin;s Creed work it is not official, it is a collaboration project between my university and Ubi.

— Matt Stenquist (@MattStenquist) February 7, 2017

AlanOC91

What are you playing which causes you to get motion sick?

The vast majority of Vive games (those with room-scale and/or teleport locomotion) really shouldn't do that.

Games I've played and felt ill:

- The Lab
- Subnautica (what an amazing VR experience btw)
- Project CARS VR
- Solus
- The Brookhaven Experience (probably the longest I've went without feeling ill)
- Island 359 (felt ill 2 minutes into it)

Games I've played and felt ill:

- The Lab
- Subnautica (what an amazing VR experience btw)
- Project CARS VR
- Solus

- The Brookhaven Experience (probably the longest I've went without feeling ill)
- Island 359 (felt ill 2 minutes into it)

Weird. The bolded make sense (though Solus has improved a lot over time), but Brookhaven even? Does just looking around make you sick? If so, are you sure your IPD is adjusted correctly?

AlanOC91

Weird. The bolded make sense (though Solus has improved a lot over time), but Brookhaven even? Does just looking around make you sick? If so, are you sure your IPD is adjusted correctly?

Yep all of them unfortunately. And it's mainly the looking around that makes me feel ill after a while. I usually get real life travel sickness too, I can't read a book or look too long on my phone on a bus and stuff like that. It was much worse when I was younger but improved over time.

IPD? What's that? I'm useless with VR terms.

GeoGonzo

Yep all of them unfortunately. And it's mainly the looking around that makes me feel ill after a while. I usually get real life travel sickness too, I can't read a book or look too long on my phone on a bus and stuff like that. It was much worse when I was younger but improved over time.

Interpupillary distance. Something else that could be tripping you could be low framerates, maybe? Is your PC dangerously close to the minimum recommended for VR?

Tain

It's weird though, because with those games you shouldn't be experiencing any movement that isn't happening in real life. It's pretty rare to hear about cases of people getting sick from something like The Lab assuming their PC hardware is delivering a consistent framerate.

IPD is interpupillary distance, the space between your eyes. The little knob on the right of the Vive headset (while wearing it).

AlanOC91

It's weird though, because with those games you shouldn't be experiencing any movement that isn't happening in real life. It's pretty rare to hear about cases of people getting sick from something like The Lab assuming their PC hardware is delivering a consistent framerate.

IPD is Interpupillary distance, the space between your eyes. The little knob on the right of the Vive headset (while wearing it).

I've tired motion sickness tablets, motion sickness wristbands and other little tricks and stuff. Some of these things help me do it for a bit longer but eventually the same thing happens. I feel terrible and need to get it off my head.

If I recall correctly (at work now) I have used that know to make things less blurry? I remember fiddling with it a lot when I first got the headset.

Interpupillary distance. Something else that could be tripping you could be low framerates, maybe? Is your PC dangerously close to the minimum recommended for VR?

6700k @ 4.5ghz.
16GB RAM.
980ti OC'd.

IPD is interpupillary distance, the space between your eyes. The little knob on the right of the Vive headset (while wearing it).

IPD could be the issue. The couple of times I used the headset while that was way off, I started to get a headache within minutes. Not saying that would fix it for you because it didn't really make me nauseous, but I honestly can't think of any other reason totally stationary games should be making you sick (besides bad performance) unless you're just unlucky and highly susceptible to it. Like abnormally high.

If you wear glasses, you've had your IPD measured before and might have it written somewhere (like a prescription). If not, there are tests online that you can search for that can give you a decent measurement as well.

SomTervo

Hi everybody,

Double wammy of coolio news for Organ Quarter (still sitting pretty at 94% positive Steam reviews):

New trailer - showing off some new enemies, locations, weapons (all pretty placeholder but we wanted to show stuff)

And a cheeky Kickstarter! Pretty modest sum requested, just to enable us to focus on the game through to launch.

Here's the Steam page if y'all wanna try the demo.

Feel free to ping us with any feedback, advice, etc.

Some GIFs for your viewing pleasure

EknOM2O.gif

eD9OppS.gif

YqK23px.gif

Paganmoon

The headset mount rEvolve is closing in on finishing it's kickstarter, seems to be funded without a problem. Too bad they couldn't get any prototypes out to reviewers before the kickstarter ended though, I'd have spend some money on it if I could've gotten some impressions from the likes of Tested.

the_id

I do want to get a Vive but I'm going to wait for a full VR game on par with RE:VII before jumping in.

Anyone have any idea when Fallout 4 or DOOM for vive is going to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom