• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a room like his once too; it lasted about a day after I moved in. The room isn't irredeemable, it just needs some cleaning and a few tasteful furniture replacements.

Woke up this morning to an empty inbox. The VR withdrawal is real, I can't even get my Rift.

My bedroom was like it when I was a teenager, until my girlfriend started staying over and she made me clean it. At least she helped.

Alexlf

Holy Moly. I've been playing Vanishing Realms and it is honestly the most fun I've have had in video games ever.

Sword fighting with skeletons just has no other comparisons today and makes you feel 100% bad ass. Reaching down to pick up ruby chalices and launching fireballs at distant enemies and deflecting arrows with my sword etc is all insanely fun, everything I hoped for from VR and more.

The only problem is my chaperone bounds are a bit small and I keep either charging into a wall in the midst of dodging or punching them when I hop forward for a lunge attack lol.

I'm probably a bit biased/filled with adrenaline since I just stepped out but MAN it's intense.

SgD1o40.jpg

rUDjsTo.gif
rUDjsTo.gif
rUDjsTo.gif

MsMqnLg.png

#redditDoorSigns lol

newsguy

Holy Moly. I've been playing Vanishing Realms and it is honestly the most fun I've have had in video games ever.

Sword fighting with skeletons just has no other comparisons today and makes you feel 100% bad ass. Reaching down to pick up ruby chalices and launching fireballs at distant enemies and deflecting arrows with my sword etc is all insanely fun, everything I hoped for from VR and more.

The only problem is my chaperone bounds are a bit small and I keep either charging into a wall in the midst of dodging or punching them when I hop forward for a lunge attack lol.

I'm probably a bit biased/filled with adrenaline since I just stepped out but MAN it's intense.

I saw this one in the gb rift stream and it looked like hot garbage. Glad to hear it isn't so bad.

So if you move the lighthouses (like if you only want them out when in use), does that mean you have to go through the entire room scale calibration process each time?

Got a question on tracking, so initially I was gonna use a spare bedroom for my area but I've been doing the living room pc thing forever and have a breakfast nook in front of a sliding door that leads to a patio and was thinking of just using that instead. Would those shutter style blinds that run the length of the window be good enough to prevent any tracking snafus or does it need solid surfaces for walls? Any exposed glass would be minimal with them closed.

Alexlf

Got a question on tracking, so initially I was gonna use a spare bedroom for my area but I've been doing the living room pc thing forever and have a breakfast nook in front of a sliding door that leads to a patio and was thinking of just using that instead. Would those shutter style blinds that run the length of the window be good enough to prevent any tracking snafus or does it need solid surfaces for walls? Any exposed glass would be minimal with them closed.

I have no blinds at all over the windows in the room I'm using and tracking works just fine, haven't had any issues at all yet. I did need to take down a mirror though.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hey Krejlooc,

Any chances of pictures of your boom mic setup? Interested to see how you're managing the cables that way.

I'm out and about but i'llI snap pics later. I basically run the break out box to the boom rig and attach it with zip ties and velcro, then drape the cables down.

That said, surprisingly, I am wavering in my recommendation of the boom stand. Ive already moved my vive to two different houses for demos, and attaching everything to the boom rig makes moving the system way harder. More than that, ive been finding that just letting the cable drape behind you isnt really that bad, you really do get used to it very quickly. Coming from above is still cool, but I may wind up using my vive without the boom rig more than I expect going forward.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did everyone else who has received their Vive get the email with the codes for the 3 free games? Still waiting over here...

I got the code on 5th, 1 day before my Vive arrived.

So if you move the lighthouses (like if you only want them out when in use), does that mean you have to go through the entire room scale calibration process each time?

Unless you manage to put them in the exact same position, I think so.

I'm out and about but i'llI snap pics later. I basically run the break out box to the boom rig and attach it with zip ties and velcro, then drape the cables down.

That said, surprisingly, I am wavering in my recommendation of the boom stand. Ive already moved my vive to two different houses for demos, and attaching everything to the boom rig makes moving the system way harder. More than that, ive been finding that just letting the cable drape behind you isnt really that bad, you really do get used to it very quickly. Coming from above is still cool, but I may wind up using my vive without the boom rig more than I expect going forward.

sorry for asking what is probably a dumb question, but what is a "boom rig"?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Boxing involves putting both of your hands in front of your face - which would appear to cripple current-gen tracking systems...

Not at all, unless you're referring to bonking your HMD with the controllers. Standard lighthouse setup from the upper front corner would see them fine.

dumbo

If you use controllers to shield the headset, then you're basically creating the worst case for the current tracking systems.

Not at all, unless you're referring to bonking your HMD with the controllers. Standard lighthouse setup from the upper front corner would see them fine.

That depends which way you face, and from what I remember of boxing you tend to both duck/tilt your head and raise the controllers.

This is something I really wouldn't expect to work well.

Qassim

Okay, so now HTC have admitted their fuckup in terms of the out of order shipping, hopefully they get around to sending out early UK CC orders tomorrow. I wont' get it to the weekend (although they should pay for saturday delivery as an apology..) but Monday is.. fine.. I suppose.

If I didn't know orders as late as +90 minutes were getting theirs before me (+2 minutes), I'd be totally fine with it arriving on Monday or later, it's just the feeling of injustice that you can't shake.

This is what I was planning on doing for my setup. The red area is basically where my couch is (if I slide it up some while using the Vive). The blue area would be my roomscale. Those blue markers are where I want to put my lighthouses. That is actually about 8' in the air, on top of my kitchen cabinets. I figure if I put them there, I'd be okay with leaving them up all the time (I also have power up there too).

I know an optimal setup would be in opposite corners, but would this still work well? Would the one in the bottom left just be too far away to even communicate with the Link box?
AdYfZFC.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Man I keep going back to how much this floored me. I am honestly astonished. I consider myself a vr veteran, my expectations since dk1 have been grounded. The vive honestly floored me like the first time I tried vr all over again. It joins the moments like the first time I saw daytona usa, played mario 64, or got my dreamcast.

Tremendously satisfied with my purchase atm.

artsi

Man I keep going back to how much this floored me. I am honestly astonished. I consider myself a vr veteran, my expectations since dk1 have been grounded. The vive honestly floored me like the first time I tried vr all over again. It joins the moments like the first time I saw daytona usa, played mario 64, or got my dreamcast.

I can't wait for my shipment anymore.

vDimoN7.gif

Zalusithix

No mention of refunding shipping for skipped orders, upgrades to over night, or even a few Steam Bux. What a shitty response and company. Hope they go under or Valve finds a better partner.

Overreaction much? The situation is not ideal, but hardly worth dooming a company over. Some people really need to get some perspective and realize that the sky, in fact, is not falling.

Krejlooc

Banned
Valve needs to expand xortex 26xx into a full game, they are onto something great. It could be the next geometry wars. I cant believe the version they have doesnt even have leaderboards, its perfect for them.

Melon Husk

I wonder how Sierra games on VirtualDesktop would work? And I haven't finished LOOM or The Dig yet. Low resolution shouldn't be a problem.

Doh !!

Scheduled delivery:
Thu 4/07/2016 by 8:00 pm

Seeing that it hasn't even hit the local distribution center yet. It looks like I probably won't get it much earlier than 8pm.

Of course it could be worse.... sorry no info guys.

Zaptruder

Banned
Boxing involves putting both of your hands in front of your face - which would appear to cripple current-gen tracking systems...

Nope. Especially if they put the hand position in a way resembling your actual grip position. I mean your hands just aren't that big... even with the controllers - enough points will peek through. I've tested this in VR with boxing gloves in modbox. Continues tracking fine.

Damn right it's the best. It's so damn intense. I mean... it can stand to improve a lot, but if you play it in the spirit, it's fantastic.

I saw this one in the gb rift stream and it looked like hot garbage. Glad to hear it isn't so bad.

Because GB make everything look like cynical fratboy junk when they demo it. Move your body Jeff! Swing those arms! Don't just waggle your wrists dude!

Haint

Overreaction much? The situation is not ideal, but hardly worth dooming a company over. Some people really need to get some perspective and realize that the sky, in fact, is not falling.

You need some perspective on HTC's recent track record, particular customer satisfaction surrounding their past couple generation of phones.

Cimarron

I feel the same. Truly something I will remember for decades to come. Room Scale and hand tracking totally blows the stuff I have seen on the DK2 out of the water. I would still recommend this to some one who has the minimum room scale specs.

On another note I can't believe I spent the entire night last night without using the camera! LOL! I actually don't remember the tutorial showing me how to use it. How do you activate it?

dumbo

Nope. Especially if they put the hand position in a way resembling your actual grip position. I mean your hands just aren't that big... even with the controllers - enough points will peek through. I've tested this in VR with boxing gloves in modbox. Continues tracking fine.

Ah - the advantages of not having your headset shipped across Europe by camels... you can actually test stuff. It will be interesting to see how Touch deals with that situation, as it still seems a pretty nasty scenario.

Anyway, a nice and unrelated Vive story that I don't think has been posted:
http://www.techinsider.io/virtual-reality-gave-me-depth-perception-2016-4

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Damn right it's the best. It's so damn intense. I mean... it can stand to improve a lot, but if you play it in the spirit, it's fantastic.
I can't wait to try it out. It just seems like actually being able to swing/dodge/block would be insanely fun.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Valve needs to expand xortex 26xx into a full game, they are onto something great. It could be the next geometry wars. I cant believe the version they have doesnt even have leaderboards, its perfect for them.

I'm sure some other devs will pick up from there and make completed games using that control concept. I think Valve was just throwing it out there to give people ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom