• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
True but the min is 61 right? What is your 3 year old nephews IPD?

we just put it on the minimum, we didn't use a configuration utility. And really, worst that happens with too high of a convergence is they flex their eye muscles a bit harder than normal for a short period of time. The amount of time anybody will put a 3 year old into VR for is far outweighed by the time they will spend outside of VR. Certainly to the point where people don't need to speak up about questioning parental decisions without any real research to back up their fear.

6700k, 980ti, 32GB ram, SSD.

From what I'm reading FDev is aware of the problem for Vive owners but there doesn't appear to be a timetable on a fix. Rift users on a 970 or so should have a better experience in ED for the foreseeable future. Or until ED fixes their game for Vive users. 980s and up too I would think. Seeing mixed reports from Rift users so I'm not sure. Maybe Durante has ED and can try it in a Rift with DSR supersampling to see if the performance is decidedly better.
Wait, what's wrong with Vive users? I played ED extensively in DK2, and aside from UI there was never a need to do super sampling IMO. What makes the vive worse?

deadfolk

To anyone who has their Vive already:

Is there any software/game available yet that just lets you chill in some other world to get away from it all for a bit? e.g. can you just hang out in TheBlu or something similar?

Krejlooc

Banned

Is there any software/game available yet that just lets you chill in some other world to get away from it all for a bit? e.g. can you just hang out in TheBlu or something similar?

TheBlu is pretty short, but yeah you could do that in there. The first time I did the blue, I sat down on the ground and it made me feel like I was sitting on the wreckage of a sunken ship while things floated around me. Some of the other scenes are a bit more interactive, though.

There are actually some cool SteamVR skins that might be cool to chill with, although, depressingly, most online at the moment are omnidirectional photos, so they lack depth. But the few 3D models they have are cool. Naturally I have my SteamVR skin as the holodeck, and I admit I've spent several minutes just looking around and marveling at the fact that I'm in the fucking holodeck.

Apollo 11 is pretty breathtaking. I don't know if you consider that chill or not. It has both a passive cinematic mode, and an interactive mode.

You might also want to check out The Lab and Realities. And Virtual Desktop has a pretty cool Milkdrop Plugin. Beyond all that, sadly, not a lot of stuff like Sightline The Chair that was on DK2. That said - Sightline The Chair is coming to Vive, and when it does come everybody definitely needs to check it out, because it's one of my favorite demos.

Durante

To some extent, Realities is what you are looking for. Not too many "relaxation" locations yet though, more history focused.

The Lab also contains one experiment which has a variety of real-world locations mapped out. And there, you get a dog aperture science robotic companion. Which is of course a massive improvement.

There are actually some cool SteamVR skins that might be cool to chill with, although, depressingly, most online at the moment are omnidirectional photos, so they lack depth. But the few 3D models they have are cool. Naturally I have my SteamVR skin as the holodeck, and I admit I've spent several minutes just looking around and marveling at the fact that I'm in the fucking holodeck.
Wait what? How did I miss this!

Wallach

TheBlu is pretty short, but yeah you could do that in there. The first time I did the blue, I sat down on the ground and it made me feel like I was sitting on the wreckage of a sunken ship while things floated around me. Some of the other scenes are a bit more interactive, though.

Apollo 11 is pretty breathtaking. I don't know if you consider that chill or not. It has both a passive cinematic mode, and an interactive mode.

You might also want to check out The Lab and Realities. And Virtual Desktop has a pretty cool Milkdrop Plugin. Beyond all that, sadly, not a lot of stuff like Sightline The Chair that was on DK2. That said - Sightline The Chair is coming to Vive, and when it does come everybody definitely needs to check it out, because it's one of my favorite demos.

Surge should be updated and coming to the Vive sometime later this month too, which I always recommend to folks. That is a great quick demo to chill with for a few minutes.

Wait, what's wrong with Vive users? I played ED extensively in DK2, and aside from UI there was never a need to do super sampling IMO. What makes the vive worse?

Lack of optimization. Even then, most Rift FAQ's suggest Supersampling or Sweetfx to clean it up. Because it looks bad by default. Rift seems to use the resolution settings in the game; Vive seems to have its own hidden resolution settings that can't be controlled directly. Only thing you can do is Supersample to clean things up.

Wait what? How did I miss this!

Mine is currently set to the Illusive Man's room. Pretty good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=661032160

Durante

Well, if you're comparing to DK2, there's also the matter of rendering 90 FPS instead of 75 combined with higher display resolution.

Zaptruder

Banned

Yeah, the Vive Home application features two great chill out spaces. One is a space age haloesque platform floating above an alien landscape with roiling cloud fog below.

The other is a museum room with some minimalistic art.

Both are fully traversable in 3D (not large spaces, but large enough) and more importantly have good ambient sounds/music.

Lack of optimization. Even then, most Rift FAQ's suggest Supersampling or Sweetfx to clean it up. Because it looks bad by default. Rift seems to use the resolution settings in the game; Vive seems to have its own hidden resolution settings that can't be controlled directly. Only thing you can do is Supersample to clean things up.

Mine is currently set to the Illusive Man's room. Pretty good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=661032160
You can change resolution for games at least some ... Edit: as well as aa

the box is about 9" x 16.5" x 23". I suck so bad at estimating weight, so I could be way way off (and likely am) but I'd guess the box is maybe 5 or so lbs?

I would renege on that deal if I were you. That is a poor proposition. Either sell it for the several hundred plus profit it's currently going for on ebay, or keep it. Its your headset, why settle for below market value for it? If people are paying $1500 for a vive at the moment and you can stand going without one for a while, there is no reason to sell at face value.

Thanks so much!

That's good news as it will count as a medium parcel in the UK so postage is much better.

I am regretting offering to sell it but a few days before launch I decided to stick with the rift and just wait for touch to come out...not a lot of logic to it really but I thought oculus might be a better\safer long term bet. Then the launch comes and everyone is raving about tracked controls :)

I figured I'd sell it at cost to try and spread some good karma around the internet...:) hey ho :)

Did anyone else never receive a firmware update for the base stations or headset? I got an update for the controllers and just want to make sure that's normal.

Thanks so much!

That's good news as it will count as a medium parcel in the UK so postage is much better.

I am regretting offering to sell it but a few days before launch I decided to stick with the rift and just wait for touch to come out...not a lot of logic to it really but I thought oculus might be a bettersafer long term bet. Then the launch comes and everyone is raving about tracked controls :)

I figured I'd sell it at cost to try and spread some good karma around the internet...:) hey ho :)
Amy way to just change the delivery address, set it to the guy you're selling it to?

taoofjord

Well I mean if you're gonna sell it you might as well make a profit. Like who cares. Get all the money.

It's fine to do if the person didn't pre-order with the intent of selling it for a profit. Still, good on them for not trying to make a s big of a profit as possible from the current market. The current $1000 mark up is ridiculous even though people are willing to pay for it. Whenever I sell stuff on eBay (figures, games), I always sell it at a ~15% discount because the going rates are always overpriced.

Onemic

idk about you guys but I had a pretty great day with my Vive. I played and beat Vanishing Realms which was a lot of fun. I played Cloudlands which was relaxing. And I even got some more Audioshield in.

After I beat Job Simulator and The Gallery though it's going to be all about replaying. I think launching all the games at once is definitely bad from this aspect. There are only like 3 new Vive games listed on Steam for the next 3 months. So after I get bored of Audioshield and Hover Junkers...then I just let my Vive collect dust?

I'm kinda scared tbh.

Have you used virtual desktop?

I got my shipping confirmation on Friday at about mid-day, but still no codes for Fantastic Contraption etc

How long did it take for the rest of you to get it? I was told within 24hours

Who should I contact about that?

People have been sending @JulesHTC requests for not receiving codes.

taoofjord

I may be mistaken but I think the Diorama series is exactly that. I don't have a Vive now though to try it out. You may want to look into it before purchasing as I may be wrong.

As far as I know the only real safety concern for children, other than falling of course lol, is that their 3D spatial awareness or depth perception hasn't fully developed yet as explained in this article.

“When children start touching and playing with things, they don’t just do it at any distance. They do it at a small range of distances,” Domini says. “Our thought is maybe what the brain does is figure out a metric at that distance and the rest is all heuristic.”

IMO I think that this could be a real concern if children who use VR don't finish fully developing their depth perception or develop it with the wrong measurements because VR has tricked their brain and they use it up until the time that their brain stops taking measurements anymore. We, at a certain age, have a full range of measurements to fall back on when our brain is tricked and we need to readjust over time back in the real world.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to point any fingers here at all and I firmly believe that it should always be up to you as a parent to discern what is right for your child. I'm just trying to pass on info on something that we all are trying to figure out.

I tend to fall on the side of caution so I won't be letting my child play on a regular basis (this is how our bodies adapt). VR is new out in the wild and our brains are extremely complex. We all know that even extremely tested and comparatively simple software when released into the wild can have all kinds of unforeseen bugs and such. So I think that it is only fair that people are cautious at the onset of VR as it launches into the wild, especially when in the context of the health of our children. As our medium grows their will surly be more research specifically on this subject and I don't think it will take long for safe guidelines backed by it to be made for children.

However, if you feel that it is safe after ingesting what info we have at the moment then I respect your decision as an educated parent. :)

Durante

So awesome:

tmLzhMM.jpg

Too bad a transparent front cover probably wouldn't work.

Melon Husk

You can hang out in The Lab's postcards as long as you want.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah, the Vive Home application features two great chill out spaces. One is a space age haloesque platform floating above an alien landscape with roiling cloud fog below.

The other is a museum room with some minimalistic art.

Both are fully traversable in 3D (not large spaces, but large enough) and more importantly have good ambient sounds/music.

What is the "Vive Home application"?

So awesome:

tmLzhMM.jpg

Man that is cool. It reminds me of Titanfall. Makes me wonder when we will start seeing custom casings or paint jobs. Can't wait to type in "Vive case mods" in search and scroll through the beauty and horror lol.

Also, can anyone with a Vive tell me if this accurately tells your IPD when comparing what Vive settings work best for you?

https://www.warbyparker.com/pd/instructions

Zalusithix

So awesome:

tmLzhMM.jpg

Given the cover, as far as I can tell, is intentionally occluding certain sensors at given angles, yeah I'd say a transparent cover wouldn't work. It'd need some IR filter coating which would probably end up being rather costly for that large of a piece. That's assuming it's even possible to deposit such a filter on plastic in the first place. I'm only used to seeing those sorts of things on glass.

Krejlooc

Banned
Given the cover, as far as I can tell, is intentionally occluding certain sensors at given angles, yeah I'd say a transparent cover wouldn't work. It'd need some IR filter coating which would probably end up being rather costly for that large of a piece. That's assuming it's even possible to deposit such a filter on plastic in the first place. I'm only used to seeing those sorts of things on glass.

It's not intentional, and alan yates has talked before how the headset would track better without those specific divots in the vive consumer headset mold. That was HTC's doing.

6700k, 980ti, 32GB ram, SSD.

From what I'm reading FDev is aware of the problem for Vive owners but there doesn't appear to be a timetable on a fix. Rift users on a 970 or so should have a better experience in ED for the foreseeable future. Or until ED fixes their game for Vive users. 980s and up too I would think. Seeing mixed reports from Rift users so I'm not sure. Maybe Durante has ED and can try it in a Rift with DSR supersampling to see if the performance is decidedly better.

That's good to hear. I'm really interested in getting in to Elite once I get my headset.

Zalusithix

It's not intentional, and alan yates has talked before how the headset would track better without those specific divots in the vive consumer headset mold. That was HTC's doing.

I'd love a link to that. I mean, they were there from DK1 onward, and it seems supremely stupid to recess them like that if a surface mount without occlusion would work better. Nothing is impossible, but I'd hope HTC wasn't that dumb.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd love a link to that. I mean, they were there from DK1 onward, and it seems supremely stupid to recess them like that if a surface mount without occlusion would work better. Nothing is impossible, but I'd hope HTC wasn't that dumb.

You'll have to pour through his reddit history to find the exact conversation, but luckily I have a quote to help you search by:

No, the dimples are not essential features, in fact they can be problematic. The original controller had the photodiodes flush with the surface as did our prototype HMDs.

Did anyone else never receive a firmware update for the base stations or headset? I got an update for the controllers and just want to make sure that's normal.

I got one like 2 hours ago

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

Would being on W10 vs W7 really give you that much of a noticeable perf improvement?

I am on windows 10

i meant 8 gigs of ram for the pc but you probably knew that. You have gone into the settings menu though right?

Zalusithix

You'll have to pour through his reddit history to find the exact conversation, but luckily I have a quote to help you search by:

Well, google to the rescue when it comes to finding quotes. Was mentioned in a Job Simulator discussion. I can only face palm over that design choice. While it doesn't seem like it's adversely affecting the tracking of the headset, I just can't get behind prioritizing form over function.

On the bright side, I guess that makes a clear cover possible. Rather unlikely any company would go through the motions of making one though. Not a big enough market.

I got one like 2 hours ago

I am on windows 10

i meant 8 gigs of ram for the pc but you probably knew that. You have gone into the settings menu though right?

Yeah I got 8 gigs. You mean the general perf tab in SteamVR settings? If so yeah, using reprojection, enabled the deal for missed frames, got plenty of notifications using that, but it's been inconsistent, sometimes games run a peach, other times no dice. Budget Cuts demo unfortunately has bad perf all around for me and lots of headset judder, still have a blast with it though.

Edit: Okay everybody with a Vive needs to dl Minecrift for it right now if you haven't already. By far one of the best experiences I've had with it, the room scale and controllers add so much, the teleport mechanic letting you get to high places fast, had my first "can't take a step forward" level of presence being at the top of a tree due to the drop. Plus the performance is outstanding.

Instructions for install here

Only took me about 15-20 mins using that. Easy breezy. Gonna hop back in and join some creative servers to check out some crazy builds.

Krejlooc

Banned
Edit: Okay everybody with a Vive needs to dl Minecrift for it right now if you haven't already. By far one of the best experiences I've had with it, the room scale and controllers add so much, the teleport mechanic letting you get to high places fast, had my first "can't take a step forward" level of presence being at the top of a tree due to the drop. Plus the performance is outstanding.

Only took me about 15-20 mins using that. Easy breezy. Gonna hop back in and join some creative servers to check out some crazy builds.

Just a note - mods in minecraft stack, so be sure to add in the shaders mod to pretty up minecraft a bit. The same mod actually improves rendering performance, so it'll make it run better in VR.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah I got 8 gigs. You mean the general perf tab in SteamVR settings? If so yeah, using reprojection, enabled the deal for missed frames, got plenty of notifications using that, but it's been inconsistent, sometimes games run a peach, other times no dice. Budget Cuts demo unfortunately has bad perf all around for me and lots of headset judder, still have a blast with it though.

Minecrift has teleport? Fantastic. It was a vomit machine using traditional controls in the DK2. Checking it out right now.

Just a note - mods in minecraft stack, so be sure to add in the shaders mod to pretty up minecraft a bit. The same mod actually improves rendering performance, so it'll make it run better in VR.

Is there a particular one you use and if so link? Admittedly been awhile since I fiddled with those back in the dk1 days. Or did you just mean the ones included with Optifine?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I couldn't play Windlands. The locomotion on the touchpad and ultrasensitive it's just the worst thing I experimented in VR until now. Terrible. I had to stop after 10 seconds. Never starting it again.

On the other hands Universe Sanbox is a joy to play around with. Once I got used to the not extremely friendly user interface I had a great time with adding a tons of different moons to the Earth only to have everything crash into Uranus and then Sirius to do a clean swipe. Very interesting sandbox game. Some performance issues though once a nebula formed from the collision of two big stars.

My girlfriend greatly enjoyed Apollo 11 and I was watching from a side. I think this is also some great experience to people who are interested in space and exploration.

Bruno

no audio shield has its own settings too. I have no idea why you are having issues really.
no idea good sir

oh a firmware update? which components?

controlers

Physically sat down on top of a tree to watch the sun set in Minecraft and legit thought I could dangle my legs off the edge o_O

no audio shield has its own settings too. I have no idea why you are having issues really.

I mean maybe something is janky with my Steam install, I tried two outside Steam programs, Vivecraft where you're a giant and can place blocks and blow them up in room scale plus Minecraft and both ran flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom