• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are some big upcoming VR games you guys are excited for?

This is a good question, as I can't think of any future big AAA title coming to VR...
But really looking forward to what's allready available (Hover junkers, Vanishing realms) and games with expected proper Vive suport (Project cars, Elite, Euro/American truck simulator, Allien Isolation_that last one is just wishfull thinking_))

Sky Chief

So what are some big upcoming VR games you guys are excited for?

Budget Cuts! The demo is just magical, I think this is going to be the first truly great VR game.

Finally finished redecorating and setting this thing up.

First time in VR, and, yeah its cliche by now but I'm pretty blown away. The Blu was the perfect intro, the Lab was just excellent all around, and the Budget Cuts demo was super impressive. So many ridiculous moments- crawling around on my living floor trying not to bump my head, trying to rest my arm on a desk that wasn't there of course to steady my aim- can't wait for the full game.

Two things that are kind of hampering the experience atm- the visuals can be blurry. Like I don't think it's this blurry for everyone else blurry. Looking down right now, I can't even read the text in the topic review below. I've tried adjusting the llittle nob on the side to the limit each way and it only makes a minor difference. Has anyone else had this problem?

Second is the packed in earbuds that come off middle of playing anything. Cord is so short. Easily remedying that this week with a new pair anyways though.

Sounds like you don't have the headset adjusted properly (too high, too low, off center,...). If you have another person around hold the Vive to your face until you get a clear image and then ask them to tighten the straps.

Is the reason why non-vr games seem to run poorly on virtual desktop, but fine when played on a regular monitor, because the game isn't hitting 90fps? Having a hard time wrapping my head around how games work in a vr wrapper vs traditional desktop setting.

Drawing out your intended VR space (rectangle) might give us a better idea of which setup would work best. Are those positions chosen due to their proximity to an outlet?

I'm trying to get as much space starting from the top wall here and down.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/x2nOkt4.jpg[/IMG]

Other than couches on the right wall (you can see in the photo), that whole living room is fair game. But I want to make sure I can play seated in front of the computer as well.

This is a good question, as I can't think of any future big AAA title coming to VR...
But really looking forward to what's allready available (Hover junkers, Vanishing realms) and games with expected proper Vive suport (Project cars, Elite, Euro/American truck simulator, Allien Isolation_that last one is just wishfull thinking_))

That new Minecraft mod is the system seller. Holy crap, that was amazing. I cant wait to go to servers and see other stuff. must go to bed soon now though

Tadie

Can somebody with a Vive plz test it?

I've been wearing the headset wrong and I think a lot of reviewers have too due to blurriness/discomfort complains.

Apologies in advance if everyone knew this and I was just an idiot wearing the headset wrong.

So I got my Vive on the 5th and have been tinkering with it on and off, a big disappointment for me was there was a ton of blurriness/smudging in my peripherals and when I would look anywhere but the very center of the lens. With my own experience and all the reviews mentioning smudging from the center I faulted it on being generation one and expected it to be fixed in future gens.

Then I put the headset on properly, and it was clear as fuck. No blurriness or smudging from the center out.

I always assumed the headset was supposed to sit at the center of your eyes, the top foam being right above your eyebrows and the bottom being on your cheeks (like ski-goggles). Then I adjusted it where the top foam was in the middle of your forehead and the bottom foam was hovering on top of my cheekbones. So higher up on your face than ski-goggles.

Any holy shit its a world of difference! There is absolutely no blurriness when you look around the lens instead of looking only straight, and your peripherals feel so much more crisp. My comfort wearing the headset also increased. I feel like I wore it wrong at first because the top strap was too long and the velcro doesn't go any shorter and it slid down my face.

If anyone has issues with blurriness could you please try my suggestion and let me know your findings on this? I haven't seen any guides on how to properly seat the headset on your face and I hope this resolves some issues with people's perceived quality of the headset, it really changed my view on the Vive's screen!

EDIT: Making some micro-edits on instructions on how to place the headset after more testing. I was super excited when it got clear and I wanted to share quickly since I had a hard time finding any help on the issue.

EDIT 2: Keep in mind this did not remove lens flare/god rays for me but it does seem to lessen amount of it since it's not also being blurred and smudged around my peripherals.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4e925m/ive_been_wearing_the_headset_wrong_and_i_think_a/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And the printing of the magnetic lighthouse bracket adapters is complete. Now just the long wait for the actual Vive to get here. Probably end up sanding them down and giving them a coat of black paint before then.

Get onto a charging dock - see my previous post showing the HTC proto and the bottom of the controllers which are begging for adapters to covert USB to external contact connectors. Also there are 3D printing models out there already to base measurements off :)

Oh and yay for email from HTC in the middle of the night....asking for customer service feedback :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Since I have nothing better to do while I wait for this thing, I've been looking around my room trying to figure out what the best arrangement of the lighthouses would be. Here are the two I'm thinking of:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/x2nOkt4.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YJprs0j.jpg[/IMG]

I think Setup 2 will give me the most coverage, but I'm kind of worried I'll have to tilt the one above the computer too far down to cover sitting experiences. That and most setups I've seen have used a catty-corner approach.

Setup 1 is probably the only viable alternative if I want to keep the sensors in the 16' range but I'm a little worried about occlusion in that low far left corner (where the picture frames are).

Any suggestions?

What's your concern about setup 1 - just the lighthouse tilt? The only have to tilt down 30 degrees to look directly below them, and that will still scan above horizontal to your ceiling so you should be fine.

Personally id go with 1 but possibly consider moving the right hand lighthouse down a bit if you can - unless that's the bottom corner of your intended space (looks like you could have a larger space if wanted)?

I'm getting a bit of buyers remorse and I haven't even received my Vive yet. Just listening to the lack of games coming out and the lack of functionality with more traditional games I expected to work with it (and the ones that do like Elite not looking great when I already have a 4k monitor). I'm not sure if I should cancel the order and just buy the Rift for less considering this is first gen tech and all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm getting a bit of buyers remorse and I haven't even received my Vive yet. Just listening to the lack of games coming out and the lack of functionality with more traditional games I expected to work with it (and the ones that do like Elite not looking great when I already have a 4k monitor). I'm not sure if I should cancel the order and just buy the Rift for less considering this is first gen tech and all.

No. Stick with it. If you buy a rift you'll be waiting longer, and the vive will work well with seated stuff too - plus you get the room/motion stuff too.

Can anyone with a vive and rift comment on this Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4e810d/vive_using_5_times_more_cpu_than_rift_can_others/

Seems steam VR is using a ton of CPU when the vive is connected compared to rift.

derFeef

I don't understand the lack of real movement in games at all at the moment. The released games seem fine but why limit with the teleportation, even the Minecraft mod does.

Kevin

I don't understand the lack of real movement in games at all at the moment. The released games seem fine but why limit with the teleportation, even the Minecraft mod does.

Yeah for me that completely defeats the purpose. I mean have anyone played Vanishing Carter in Vive? Was curious if it's worth it?

Durante

It seems like Audioshield is intended to be moddable, which isn't really surprising after Audiosurf 2 but still neat.

"Real Movement" (as in fake movement with e.g. an analog stick) in games can make you sick. Real room scale 1:1 movement and teleportation will make no one sick.
That's pretty much all there is to it, and likely the reason why most games designed for VR don't go for traditional movement controls.

artsi

Can anyone with a vive and rift comment on this Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4e810d/vive_using_5_times_more_cpu_than_rift_can_others/

Seems steam VR is using a ton of CPU when the vive is connected compared to rift.

I'm excited for my Vive to arrive, but after seeing stuff like this I'm getting a feeling that Rift may be the better optimized and supported experience after all.

Also afraid what will happen if my Vive is DOA (or has issues later) and I need to fight with HTC's lousy support, while Oculus has so far been good and reliable with RMA's.

sono

. If you have another person around hold the Vive to your face until you get a clear image and then ask them to tighten the straps.

Is this a one time adjustment or does putting on the headset everytime require two people to do that ?

Kevin

Looking at the game lineup on Steam has me a little concerned I'll admit. Other then cheap looking "tech demos" there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of meaty game in development for Vive (really for Oculus either right now). Maybe it's just late but I am kind of having second thoughts.

I mainly wanted VR for huge story-driven games but it seems there are not really any of those coming out and some of the ones that did come out like Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Adr1ft, etc are making people sick or just feel, "off".

I really don't want a VR set for a bunch of "fun for five minute" overpriced tech demos.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Maybe we need a VR Game list mega thread that gets updated or something. Maybe that would help. I don't know.

This mostly stemmed from the Giant Bomb 11 hour stream I've been watching and realizing that nearly everything looks like it will be fun for like 5-10 minutes before wanting to bail out and the prices for those 5-10 minutes are far from worth it.

Noogy

It's a unique phenomenon that you won't experience until you try VR yourself. I never get motion sickness, but I have had issues with 'traditional' controls in VR... first person or otherwise. It also depends on what the developer does to accommodate such movement, visually.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I really don't want a VR set for a bunch of "fun for five minute" overpriced tech demos.
I'm 40 and in my time we called the best of these "tech demos" arcade games, and we played them for weeks.

So I'm not sure this is for you, at this stage.

Durante

Anyone know if Star Citizen will definitely support Vive and not just the Rift?
Of course it will.

I'd expect every single game not paid for by Oculus (or limited to Vive due to hardware capabilities) to support both - it's not like the number of units out there is so high that developers can easily ignore half of them.
Just look at the day 1 Eve Valkyrie announcement.

derFeef

"Real Movement" (as in fake movement with e.g. an analog stick) in games can make you sick. Real room scale 1:1 movement and teleportation will make no one sick.
That's pretty much all there is to it, and likely the reason why most games designed for VR don't go for traditional movement controls.

Shouldn't completely locking the head-movement to the rift and removing all artificial camera movement help? I get the teleportation and why it's there, but I don't understand why automated movement like in Hover Junkers makes you less sick than manual movement you do for yourself. I guess I need to find out for myself in a month or so...

edit: Is it bad that I already start to make a tracklist for Audioshield? Audiosurf is fantastic game and AS seems to shape up pretty great as well.

Durante

Shouldn't completely locking the head-movement to the rift and removing all artificial camera movement help? I get the teleportation and why it's there, but I don't understand why automated movement like in Hover Junkers makes you less sick than manual movement you do for yourself. I guess I need to find out for myself in a month or so...
Hover Junkers does make some people sick, unlike the room-scale/teleportation only games which don't even make people sick who can't play FPS on a screen.

The reason it's a lot less likely to than a normal first person game is the same reason a cockpit game is less likely to make people sick. A large portion of what you see (the hovercraft or cockpit) is not moving and serves as a static reference point.

Arulan

You mean controlling your hover craft? For vehicles it's in large part because you have a point of reference (the vehicle or cockpit) in order for your body to think you're in fact stationary with the local system (vehicle). It can still make you sick though.

derFeef

Hover Junkers does make some people sick, unlike the room-scale/teleportation only games which don't even make people sick who can't play FPS on a screen.

The reason it's a lot less likely to than a normal first person game is the same reason a cockpit game is less likely to make people sick. A large portion of what you see (the hovercraft or cockpit) is not moving and serves as a static reference point.

That makes a lof of sense. I hope developers come up with some solutions for that. I just love the idea of VR exploration games.

You mean controlling your hover craft? For vehicles it's in large part because you have a point of reference (the vehicle or cockpit) in order for your body to think you're in fact stationary with the local system (vehicle). It can still make you sick though.

Reason for that must be the artificial camera movement I guess.

Ionic

Has anybody considered buying wrist weights for Audioshield? Honestly I feel like with some added weight going through an album would be a decent workout for the arms.

Arulan

Reason for that must be the artificial camera movement I guess.

It's the same reason why some people can get motion sick in the car. My wife for instance will get motion sick if as a passenger the driver is accelerating or de-accelerating too fast, and more so if she's in the back seat. If there is a disconnect between the forces felt by your body and what you're seeing, there is a chance for motion sickness.

I know some developers have been experimenting with trying to obscure the acceleration phase of movement (I can't seem to recall the name of the example I'm thinking of) in order to alleviate some of the problem. Linear movement isn't as bad, but still not ideal.

Personally, with regards to exploration, I'm most excited about developers embracing the size limitations of room-scale through clever means of extending the room such as with elevators, spiral staircases, portals, in-game teleporters, etc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can somebody with a Vive plz test it?

I've been wearing the headset wrong and I think a lot of reviewers have too due to blurriness/discomfort complains.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4e925m/ive_been_wearing_the_headset_wrong_and_i_think_a/

There's some truth in this, yes. For myself (and my girlfriend) I found out that the best way to find the optimal position is to start from fixing the straps behind the head and then loosen the upper strap starting with the HMD from an upper position on your forehead until you hit that sweet spot in terms of clarity and weight balance. Once we tried it this she didn't complain anymore about the weight.

viveks86

I mainly wanted VR for huge story-driven games but it seems there are not really any of those coming out and some of the ones that did come out like Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Adr1ft, etc are making people sick or just feel, "off".

Those game don't feel off because they have a story. They feel off because they weren't built from the ground up for VR. The Gallery is already a great example of how story based games would play out in VR. There will be a lot more coming this year. But don't expect AAA story based games anytime soon. Those are more than a year away, if not two.

It's brand new tech with a tiny install base. It will take a while before devs can see enough returns on their investment to make huge games built from the ground up for VR.

Mikeside

FZcC9ax.jpg

it's fucking here!

10:30am... it's gonna be a long day

Mikeside

Yeah, that really sucks - I hope they pump a load out today. Stock shortage worries aren't fun at launch.

Has anybody come up with any decent storage options?

I've got an Ikea Kallax with some Drona boxes in it - the foam that the actual headset came in will fit in one nicely and I can fit the controllers in with it too, but I'd quite like something more elegant, like some wall clips for the controllers. Any ideas?

Durante

Those game don't feel off because they have a story. They feel off because they weren't built from the ground up for VR. The Gallery is already a great example of how story based games would play out in VR. There will be a lot more coming this year. But don't expect AAA story based games anytime soon. Those are more than a year away, if not two.

It's brand new tech with a tiny install base. It will take a while before devs can see enough returns on their investment to make huge games built from the ground up for VR.
Yeah, there are story driven games, and they can be great. The reason I said to hold off was more the "huge" part.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Out of curiosity, how are you with physical (not virtual) rollercoasters?

In my case- I have done it all. The craziest roller coasters. A sailboat in a storm. I've even done a hammerhead stall in a Cessna. Nothing has ever made me motion sick.

Until I played Half Life 2 in a DK1. After 5 minutes I was so sick I had to lie down. I tried to acclimate myself by doing shorter sessions to build up. Every time resulted in nausea and hours of feeling awful afterwords.

The DK2 arrived. I thought thank god positional tracking must solve it. Not at all. Sick after 5 minutes again. Other things were not so bad. DCS was thrilling, and Elite Dangerous was amazing. Unfortunately, I had the olfactory association with the smell of the glue inside the DK2 with horrible nausea. I could play inside both games for hours, but inevitably the smell would trigger and I had to stop.

With the Vive, I have not been sick in any experience. Because none of them do ground-based translation. Every game I've played uses the teleport paradigm when moving around on a ground plane.

I haven't done the grapple hook based game yet. I hear that one does ground plane translation and makes a lot of people sick.

I did play one demo that was from a game jam where you are floating in an asteroid field. you point the controllers and they act like a jet when you press the trigger. You propel yourself around the space using that method. I didn't get sick at all playing inside that, and I'm almost positive the reason was there was no ground plane involved. My inner ear lizard brain was like "oh, you're just floating around in space not walking... I'm not going to make you sick"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom