• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracil

I unplug the headset when not in use and store it back in the box. Best to keep the lenses away from dust and other stuff as much as possible. I just leave my basestations up and running though.

Schryver

That roller coaster stuff looks amazing. Being able to easily create a coaster track and then ride it in first person is awesome. One of my friends will die of happiness when he gets to try that.

We do need tracked beverages.

This is really serious.

I would pay $10 for a tracked bottle with a long and thin neck to drink.

Something like this:
products-water-bottles.png

Durante

Is everyone here unplugging their headset and cameras when not using it?

The headset gets really warm if it is in standby, so now I just keep it all unplugged. Even though on HTC's help site there are no instructions for doing so.
I keep everything plugged in (but I do have the lighthouse bluetooth standby option enabled).

I don't think a little warmth hurts.

Argyle

Hahaha the arcade game analogy is nice as I'm over 35 also and loved arcade games back then and love these vive games right now

So I just finished hosting my Vive at an anime convention. Three full days, about 200-300 demos served. Just non stop space pirate trainer.

What I learned: 200-300 demos = standing up and sitting down and giving a speech 200-300 times = my legs are sore and my voice is going out

Was this Kawaii-kon?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
hah, is it feasible that tracking stickers could be released, similar to NFC stickers?

NFC-Tags-Stickers-iPhone-6.jpg

Could put a QR-code looking sticker on something and have it do some image processing to always show that object on top of your VR scene via the camera?

You're limited by having a mono camera for now, but it could sort of work.

hah, is it feasible that tracking stickers could be made, similar to NFC stickers?

Don't see it being trivial to do since it's the controllers that track themselves. You'd need something powered that can track lighthouse beams and communicate it wirelessly, or you'd need a completely separate way to track (i.e a camera)

Durante

Don't see it being trivial to do since it's the controllers that track themselves. You'd need something powered that can track lighthouse beams and communicate it wirelessly, or you'd need a completely separate way to track (i.e a camera)
If you had a very visible QR code then maybe the HMD camera could be sufficient to track it.

But really, I'd rather they sold these to stick on random stuff - or better, a wireless version of them :p

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
interesting conversation about VIve owners not wearing the headset right leading to blurriness and discomfort.
I wonder if thats why some seem to find it blurry anywhere but dead center and others dont
worth a read anyways

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4e925m/ive_been_wearing_the_headset_wrong_and_i_think_a/

Apologies in advance if everyone knew this and I was just an idiot wearing the headset wrong.

So I got my Vive on the 5th and have been tinkering with it on and off, a big disappointment for me was there was a ton of blurriness/smudging in my peripherals and when I would look anywhere but the very center of the lens. With my own experience and all the reviews mentioning smudging from the center I faulted it on being generation one and expected it to be fixed in future gens.

Then I put the headset on properly, and it was clear as fuck. No blurriness or smudging from the center out.

I always assumed the headset was supposed to sit at the center of your eyes, the top foam being right above your eyebrows and the bottom being on your cheeks (like sunglasses). Then I adjusted it where the top foam was in the middle of your forehead and the bottom foam was hovering on top of my cheekbones. EDIT: Thanks u/BOLL7708 for explaining ski goggles usually do sit higher on your face normally (I have very little personal experience with ski goggles being from Southern California). Instead of wearing the headset like sunglasses you want it higher on your face like ski goggles More like THIS and THIS instead of like THIS. I'll come back from work today and take some actual pictures with the headset to explain it better but this should tide some over until then!

Any holy shit its a world of difference! There is absolutely no blurriness when you look around the lens instead of looking only straight, and your peripherals feel so much more crisp. My comfort wearing the headset also increased. I feel like I wore it wrong at first because the top strap was too long and the velcro doesn't go any shorter and it slid down my face.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
If you had a very visible QR code then maybe the HMD camera could be sufficient to track it.

But really, I'd rather they sold these to stick on random stuff - or better, a wireless version of them :p

Hmm, the straw still presents a challenge. Could go with a combination and show the straw via colour-keying I guess.

Serious business! Getting all Gnomish in this thread

Compsiox

Banned
interesting conversation about VIve owners not wearing the headset right leading to blurriness and discomfort.
I wonder if thats why some seem to find it blurry anywhere but dead center and others dont
worth a read anyways

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4e925m/ive_been_wearing_the_headset_wrong_and_i_think_a/

Thats a sweet spot. It's present in the Vive and the Rift.

Well, I did it. Cancelled my order. :(
See you in a year or so, VR.

Whyyyy?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Putting the money towards a new car eventually. I really want the Vive but I think it's best to save as much as I can. I had actually ordered a rift a couple of weeks ago, but the Vive impressions won me over. I cancelled that too.

Compsiox

Banned
Putting the money towards a new car eventually. I really want the Vive but I think it's best to save as much as I can. I had actually ordered a rift a couple of weeks ago, but the Vive impressions won me over. I cancelled that too.

Awww okay. Good luck with getting your car! We'll be here when you get back.

Just spent a whole day of VR with chums yesterday...gonna write something up later today I think.

How was the general reception of it? Was everyone more or less impressed?
Everyone was amazed. People that were like "I don't know how to VR" were in a minute running around and ducking under bullets.
Space Pirate Trainer is currently THE BEST DEMO GAME for vive and room scale for an audience and for fun. Yes I still wish I could make everyone do TheBlu first, but waiting I line for almost an hour and watching the whale 10+ times before you go yourself would not work in this situation. I did get some requests for "something else" on Friday which gave me a chance to show them TheBlu instead and they super loved it. Saturday and Sunday I got a handful of people saying "I heard about this whale from my friends and they loved it can I try that instead?" I was super happy to oblige.
Now again, Space Pirate Trainer. I'll try to use SPT. It's great to show, easy to set up and explain. I can start people off lookingat the ship for immediate wow factor as I adjust straps. If the game or headset crashes it has a super short startup loading time. People love it because it's you in the game 1 to 1. I tried to force longbow, the lab only, or xenon? Whatever it's called only on Sunday. I was sick of the same demo for over 25 hours already, and hoped the slower Sunday would give me a chance to diversify. I could immediately feel the life sucked out of the crowd and after maybe 29 minutes I asked everyone and went back to SPT.
Again, everyone loved it. Maybe one complaint of blurriness that I couldn't fix, but I think they refused to keep their glasses on. Also, At the very end, the director person that let me use an area of the game room tried it and his glasses didn't fit immediately, so took them off and didn't let me try to fit them. So dozens of people fit glasses just fine.
Nongamers even loved it they easily got into it and were shooting up robots.
Lots and lots and lots of faces had that gif face in the OP as they removed the headset.
Maybe four occurances of kicked cables.
Loud concert sounds made the lighthouse wobble on an open floor on top of a tripod. One lighthouse was near a doorframe this the door had more support and was stable. I faced room setup that way and SPT ran fine, the wobbly lighthouse behind us effectively was never used and vision was stable.
Many people ran around. Strafing at run speed I mean.
Lots of good ducking.
Three people jumped over bullets once.
One person did a somersault to dodge (then was stuck on his back as robots swarmed and shot him three times to dead.
Lots of people whipping their head around and perfectly fine.
ZERO instances (or no one mentioned it) of motion sickness.
One persons world wobbles as someone bumped a lighthouse.
Two-ish instances of the headset... Nvm:
One instance of the headset stopping for no reason (reboot device, fixed
One instance of the headset giving constant sway for no reason unlike what I mentioned before about the lighthouse swaying. Reboot device, fixed.
Setup was awkward at the start of each day multiple reboots and whatever and tweaks to get it good (I can't explain detail here sorry?) but throughout the day of something went wrong, reseat cables(check if working) reboot device (check if working) then run room setup (check if working), and sometimes repeat room setup again. Or run a game and play test and steam VR figures out your room setup is fine and don't need to run room setup over and over.

Batteries last around eight hours. At battery red low you can plug them in before pulling off headset (you have a few seconds to fool around without guns try to dodge the billets!) then by the time you hand the next person controllers it will have a net gain than loss. An hour of this and batteries are at 1-2 bars of 4.
I'm running out of time to talk maybe more later. Ama related to running now a demo over three days around 30 hours

I'm fine with windlands. You need VR legs. I can survive it now. If anything I want to return it because of poor level design. Until I can explore more I just demo to people it by me swinging around the starter hub for a minute or two then quit out.

Sucks to hear all the negative impressions of Windlands. Though I was way in to the concept it never looked that great to me, but a few of the early positive impressions swayed me in to buying it. Probably won't have my headset for a couple weeks so I'll probably refund for now and check it out again if it improves.

On a positive side, I've been swayed in to getting Final Approach. What I had seen of it looked really boring, but all I had seen was the early plane landing stuff. Seeing there's way more to the game than that and the positive impressions means I'll likely pick it up.

Argyle

Yep. It disrupts my receiver and projector remotes. Hopefully they'll fix the auto shutoff so I can turn that back on.

Auto shutoff is working for me, it does take about a minute for them to go into standby.

It does feel like the firmware/drivers came in super hot, I've gotten several updates so far, which is good because I feel like every time I turn it on, I have to recalibrate/devices won't track until a reboot, etc.

Auto shutoff is working for me, it does take about a minute for them to go into standby.

It does feel like the firmware/drivers came in super hot, I've gotten several updates so far, which is good because I feel like every time I turn it on, I have to recalibrate/devices won't track until a reboot, etc.

It's totally unusable for me. Sometimes the base stations won't turn on, sometimes they'll turn off when I launch SteamVR, sometimes one will turn off while I'm playing (sometimes both), and they usually don't turn off when I shut down my computer. Absolutely worthless feature for me right now.

still no email with my free games - dammit I really wanted to spend some time with Job Sim and Fantastic Contraption :(

I just got my Vive today and I am also still waiting on my code. On the Vive Site it says it was supposed to go out 24 hours after shipping but mine shipped Thursday. Contacted their live chat support about it and they said they'll get a code to me in 24-48 hours but seeing how reliable their support has been up til now I guess I'll see how that pans out.

Durante

On a positive side, I've been swayed in to getting Final Approach. What I had seen of it looked really boring, but all I had seen was the early plane landing stuff. Seeing there's way more to the game than that and the positive impressions means I'll likely pick it up.
Let us know what you think if you do, I'm curious about it but unconvinced as of yet.

viveks86

Sucks that people are having trouble with the auto shut off. Everything has been working flawlessly for me, which is surprising since I have a ton of interference related issues with my dualshock 4.

Let us know what you think if you do, I'm curious about it but unconvinced as of yet.

Same here

Mihos

Gold Member
I guess it helps that I'm Austrian, I always wore it like you're supposed to wear ski goggles ;)

am in Austria next week, unfortunately, my Vive is showing up in the States... I need to plan these things better

hah, is it feasible that tracking stickers could be made, similar to NFC stickers?

If you look at that 'save the dog on the plank over the city' demo that was linked, you can see they have sensors on the toy dog and plank, so I think that could be only a matter of time, probably easier to do on Oculus than Vive though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Everyone was amazed. People that were like "I don't know how to VR" were in a minute running around and ducking under bullets.
Space Pirate Trainer is currently THE BEST DEMO GAME for vive and room scale for an audience and for fun. Yes I still wish I could make everyone do TheBlu first, but waiting I line for almost an hour and watching the whale 10+ times before you go yourself would not work in this situation. I did get some requests for "something else" on Friday which gave me a chance to show them TheBlu instead and they super loved it. Saturday and Sunday I got a handful of people saying "I heard about this whale from my friends and they loved it can I try that instead?" I was super happy to oblige.
Now again, Space Pirate Trainer. I'll try to use SPT. It's great to show, easy to set up and explain. I can start people off lookingat the ship for immediate wow factor as I adjust straps. If the game or headset crashes it has a super short startup loading time. People love it because it's you in the game 1 to 1. I tried to force longbow, the lab only, or xenon? Whatever it's called only on Sunday. I was sick of the same demo for over 25 hours already, and hoped the slower Sunday would give me a chance to diversify. I could immediately feel the life sucked out of the crowd and after maybe 29 minutes I asked everyone and went back to SPT.
Again, everyone loved it. Maybe one complaint of blurriness that I couldn't fix, but I think they refused to keep their glasses on. Also, At the very end, the director person that let me use an area of the game room tried it and his glasses didn't fit immediately, so took them off and didn't let me try to fit them. So dozens of people fit glasses just fine.
Nongamers even loved it they easily got into it and were shooting up robots.
Lots and lots and lots of faces had that gif face in the OP as they removed the headset.
Maybe four occurances of kicked cables.
Loud concert sounds made the lighthouse wobble on an open floor on top of a tripod. One lighthouse was near a doorframe this the door had more support and was stable. I faced room setup that way and SPT ran fine, the wobbly lighthouse behind us effectively was never used and vision was stable.
Many people ran around. Strafing at run speed I mean.
Lots of good ducking.
Three people jumped over bullets once.
One person did a somersault to dodge (then was stuck on his back as robots swarmed and shot him three times to dead.
Lots of people whipping their head around and perfectly fine.
ZERO instances (or no one mentioned it) of motion sickness.
One persons world wobbles as someone bumped a lighthouse.
Two-ish instances of the headset... Nvm:
One instance of the headset stopping for no reason (reboot device, fixed
One instance of the headset giving constant sway for no reason unlike what I mentioned before about the lighthouse swaying. Reboot device, fixed.
Setup was awkward at the start of each day multiple reboots and whatever and tweaks to get it good (I can't explain detail here sorry?) but throughout the day of something went wrong, reseat cables(check if working) reboot device (check if working) then run room setup (check if working), and sometimes repeat room setup again. Or run a game and play test and steam VR figures out your room setup is fine and don't need to run room setup over and over.

Batteries last around eight hours. At battery red low you can plug them in before pulling off headset (you have a few seconds to fool around without guns try to dodge the billets!) then by the time you hand the next person controllers it will have a net gain than loss. An hour of this and batteries are at 1-2 bars of 4.
I'm running out of time to talk maybe more later. Ama related to running now a demo over three days around 30 hours

Man, that is awesome! Thanks for the write up!

mr stroke

See an email from HTC and immediate VR boner

Thank you for taking the time to reply this email!

Technically speaking you are no been charged yet, and the reason of this is because maybe we haven't reach your queue position, based in this queue your order will shipped around April, Unfortunately we don't have any accurate date, However don’t worry because as soon as we know we will need to send an email with all the details.

In the case that you have further questions, do not hesitate to contact us through chat at http://www.htc.com/us/contact/chat/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM ET, 7 days a week.

Now If you have just one minute of your time to answer a short survey, once you close this email, hitting on the “click here” link, you will be redirected to the survey, please keep in mind that my service is question number 2 and the highest score is 5, which is independent to the rest of the survey; your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much for contact HTC. Have a nice day!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

VR boner goes away...

Go fuck you're self HTC :\

Durante

I just did what I would think would almost certainly easily be a top-10 placement run on "He's a Pirate" in Audioshield. (I only missed one beat on the hardest setting)

Then it crashed. Audioshield, I love you so much, why do you hate me so?

artsi

Only if Valve and Oculus still worked together.

A HMD with best comfort, optics, tracking, motion controls, and a working (in-house) support in the US that knows their shit.

Alright Vive peeps, so I didn't get the pack-in games due to going with an ebay bought unit (seller already redeemed) so out of the three pack-ins which one would you say is worth the purchase the most? Leaning towards Tiltbrush due to Fantastic Contraption not seeming super up my alley, and apparently Job Sim has perf issues so kinda don't wanna plop down for that if it turns out to run like poo. Wish they'd do a demo of one job :/

Still, which one have you had the most fun with and if you were to put money down on one which would it be?

Alright Vive peeps, so I didn't get the pack-in games due to going with an ebay bought unit (seller already redeemed) so out of the three pack-ins which one would you say is worth the purchase the most? Leaning towards Tiltbrush due to Fantastic Contraption not seeming super up my alley, and apparently Job Sim has perf issues so kinda don't wanna plop down for that if it turns out to run like poo. Wish they'd do a demo of one job :/

Still, which one have you had the most fun with and if you were to put money down on one which would it be?
Haven't tried the Vive yet but for me it would be fantastic contraption without a doubt. Then toothbrush because I am an artist and then job SIM. Though I think job soon will be there better of the 3 to demo.

Edit: lol I am on noble if you can't tell.

Moving forward we will notify all customers of our intent to process their order via email prior to credit transaction, allowing you to notify your bank that there will be a request for payment and that it should not be declined

We are making weekly global shipments and every Vive is being sent out from our regional distribution centers immediately upon receipt
From updated HTC blog post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom