• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Haven't tried the Vive yet but for me it would be fantastic contraption without a doubt. Then toothbrush because I am an artist and then job SIM. Though I think job soon will be there better of the 3 to demo.

Edit: lol I am on noble if you can't tell.

That autocorrect is out of control. Better reboot before it goes sentient

Haven't tried the Vive yet but for me it would be fantastic contraption without a doubt. Then toothbrush because I am an artist and then job SIM. Though I think job soon will be there better of the 3 to demo.

Edit: lol I am on noble if you can't tell.

I'm sure toothbrush sim will be a thing at some point lol, get dem kids to take care of their teeth. Gamify that shit!

Thx for the feedback.

Durante

Personally, I really love Fantastic Contraption, but I do love building puzzle games in general. Handling the contraptions in VR just feels great. And it's quite a complete game.

On the other hand, Tiltbrush is magic. I don't have the artistic skills to truly make use of it, but I can't wait to get my sister into it (she got the artist genes).

I just did what I would think would almost certainly easily be a top-10 placement run on "He's a Pirate" in Audioshield. (I only missed one beat on the hardest setting)

Then it crashed. Audioshield, I love you so much, why do you hate me so?
After this I decided to play just one more song. An hour of songs later (this game. so good) I'm in the top 10 at least, though this attempt wasn't as good as the one which crashed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Tilt Brush has a longer life ahead of it. Fantastic Contraption is great, but it's pretty basic as it's core.

For what it's worth, my phone call was handled by a native English speaker, and the whole ordeal was both quick and pleasant. This was before the whole shipping fiasco though.

Sorry, yeah, I was referring to all of the email/chat support. I haven't heard any complaints about their call center in terms of being able to communicate with them.

Evo X

Is getting top 10 in Audioshield really all that impressive when there are only like 12 people in the world who have received their Vives?

Yes, I'm still salty I haven't gotten mine yet

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Anything that is still discounted on steam (until tomorrow) worth picking up?

I'll picked up Windlands and Audioshield while they are discounted. What else guys?

Anything that is still discounted on steam (until tomorrow) worth picking up?

I'll picked up Windlands and Audioshield while they are discounted. What else guys?

Looking through my Wishlist:

Lots of good impressions:
Final Approach $24.99 - $19.99 20% off

Interested but haven't heard many if any impressions:
BrookHaven Experiment: $19.99 - $14.99 25% off (Not available yet but there's a free demo on Steam)
Bowslinger: $14.99 - $12.74 15% off (Looks fun but a bit shallow from what I hear)
CDF Starfighter: $24.99 - $22.49 10% off (would really like to hear about this one)
Descent: Underground: $29.99 - $22.49 25% off
Ruckus Ridge VR Party: $19.99 - $16.99 15% off (Looked fun on Giant Bomb's stream)

That Tested comparison video has really made me think about what to do. Room scale is nice, but it's the cockpit games I'm more interested in, but I went with the Vive because I would always have the option of doing both, but better resolution for games like Elite and Star Citizen in the Rift sounds much more ideal. What to do...

The grass will always be greener and I know I'll regret whatever I choose.

x3sphere

That Tested comparison video has really made me think about what to do. Room scale is nice, but it's the cockpit games I'm more interested in, but I went with the Vive because I would always have the option of doing both, but better resolution for games like Elite and Star Citizen in the Rift sounds much more ideal. What to do...

Both headsets have the same resolution. Tested said the they felt the optics quality of the Rift was better but I've seen people say otherwise that have tried both. I think they're close enough that it may come down to personal preference.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't know, the Tested comparison seems to contradict the opinion stated by others on several aspects. At this point anybody who's on the fence should not base the decision on just one comparison or article either way. The best way would be probably to try for yourself if possible, as there seems to be too many subjective variables in this equation. Or if you have the money, buy both and decide after.

You could always order them both and sell the one you like the less.

Its what im aiming.

im a Elite Cmdr myself, so whoever is best in Elite, will have the upperhand.

I don't know, the Tested comparison seems to contradict the opinion stated by others on several aspects. At this point anybody who's on the fence should not base the decision on just one comparison or article either way. The best way would be probably to try for yourself if possible, as there seems to be too many subjective variables in this equation. Or if you have the money, buy both and decide after.

You could always order them both and sell the one you like the less.

Its what im aiming.

im a Elite Cmdr myself, so whoever is best in Elite, will have the upperhand.

I don't have the money to order the Rift as well really. Well I do, but it's for other things, even if I was going to sell one I would probably need it before then. No way for me to try them before buying either sadly.

Compsiox

Banned
I don't have the money to order the Rift as well really. Well I do, but it's for other things, even if I was going to sell one I would probably need it before then. No way for me to try them before buying either sadly.

Dude you'll have a good time no matter what. You're way over thinking this. I promise you'll have a great experience no matter which headset you choose. Don't think about regrets you won't have.

Durante

Regardless of personal preferences, "much more ideal" is certainly an overstatement. I have both headsets (and intend to keep both) and when I play Radial-G I'd rather do it in the Vive than the Rift.

There are lots of small differences, and the advantages go both ways for a seated use case and come down to personal preference. Both HMDs work well, but both are also far from "ideal". The only thing which is certain is that the Vive is not limited to that seated use case.

I thought with Elite there is an issue with how the Vive doesn't allow Supersampling right now but the Rift does, and that's where the clarity difference comes from?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Looks like Chunks is available on Steam Early Access now. I usually like the stuff that FacePunch releases so I will probably end up picking it up while it is on promotion sale. Interested to hear more about it first though.

Looking through my Wishlist:

Lots of good impressions:
Final Approach $24.99 - $19.99 20% off

Interested but haven't heard many if any impressions:
BrookHaven Experiment: $19.99 - $14.99 25% off (Not available yet but there's a free demo on Steam)
Bowslinger: $14.99 - $12.74 15% off (Looks fun but a bit shallow from what I hear)
CDF Starfighter: $24.99 - $22.49 10% off (would really like to hear about this one)
Descent: Underground: $29.99 - $22.49 25% off
Ruckus Ridge VR Party: $19.99 - $16.99 15% off (Looked fun on Giant Bomb's stream)

Are you reading through the forums on steam for these games they usually have reviews there.

Looks like Chunks is available on Steam Early Access now. I usually like the stuff that FacePunch releases so I will probably end up picking it up while it is on promotion sale. Interested to hear more about it first though.

I would have jumped on this immediately but now since minecraft works with the vive I am not sure if there is a need for it.

Are you reading through the forums on steam for these games they usually have reviews there.

Nah. Just remembering what people have posted here and impressions from other places (like Reddit). I'm sure you can find more impressions from any Steam reviews though a few of these are early access.

kaskade

Both headsets have the same resolution. Tested said the they felt the optics quality of the Rift was better but I've seen people say otherwise that have tried both. I think they're close enough that it may come down to personal preference.

Also, if you aren't doing a direct comparison I doubt it's make a difference.

People in my time frame for the Rift have an estimate for the last week of May now. If I hadn't cancelled my order already, I would have after seeing that.

Monger

Hopefully this means good things after seeing the Rift news. I'm ready to play with this thing and stop reading about it.

Daniel O'Brien on Twitter
Hope people can be a little patient. We're committed to meeting our promise of delivering in April and addressing issues reported.

No. Will be a good week globally for our Vive customers.

Justin

So has anyone figured out how to look up your order using email + credit card? The iPhone's mail app ate my order confirmation email so I don't have an order number.

Fret

I've seen some people complain about the comfort of the vive, to me its actually really great and I've worn it for hours without feeling any discomfort

When you get your vive experiment with your strap lengths, make sure the top strap isn't being pulled by the cords either

PERFORMANCE BOOST PSA

Thought this needed to be shared, so Bilago of Oculus Service Manager fame recently made a post on reddit detailing that when launching a game hold down "Alt" and you'll get the standard Unity launcher popup, set that sucker to lowest res and fire it up. Doesn't affect in-hmd res at all, just that goddamned desktop window that wastes resources rendering the image a third time. Noticed quite an improvement in my own performance so if you've been having some issues give it a try.

pj

Banned
PERFORMANCE BOOST PSA

Thought this needed to be shared, so Bilago of Oculus Service Manager fame recently made a post on reddit detailing that when launching a game hold down "Alt" and you'll get the standard Unity launcher popup, set that sucker to lowest res and fire it up. Doesn't affect in-hmd res at all, just that goddamned desktop window that wastes resources rendering the image a third time. Noticed quite an improvement in my own performance so if you've been having some issues give it a try.

Dumb to default to that. I was wondering how some games had a seemingly normal output on the desktop.

GAF -> internet -> GAF

It's Durante's blog post :p

But yeah, it's a pretty good illustration. Based on it I like the Vive one more, but can't say before I've seen both live.

Lol whoops! In my defence I can't see his name on there but I should've realised with Gedosato in big letters at the bottom...

There's an ifixit teardown of the rift that shows the lenses are fresnel at the front but curved at the back, I wonder if that's the cause of the blur rather than ridge type artifact.

Tadie

PERFORMANCE BOOST PSA

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4edi5l/pro_tip_cannot_hit_90fps_and_rely_on_reprojection/

Man, a benchmark comparison would be nice :)

Curious. My games always rendered on my monitor at something like 1024x768.

[–]
bilago

Testing some games further, I noticed some were at a similar resolution to this, and even in those instances lowering it to the lowest resolution possible still gave an FPS boost

I hope there will be an option to turn off the monitor re-projection completely.

T.O.P

Banned
PERFORMANCE BOOST PSA

Cheers for sharing

I don't have a lot of detailed impressions to give based on my first night with a Vive, but here are a few thoughts.

I have less than ideal lighthouse placement - one set flat on top of a rear speaker mounted on the wall, one diagonally opposite sat flat on a front speaker. Tracking has been fine for my space, occasionally jitters/occlusion but nothing major.

I had to fudge the outlining of my room a little bit. Tracing the space where I have full floor to ceiling movement meant I didn't have enough, so I traced over my sofa as I figure having room for my arms to move was more important than where my feet could go. It's given me 2.7m x 1.5m and it's been fine so far, although I'm being incredibly cautious to avoid hitting my TV, which feels like it would be easy to do even with chaperone.

Speaking of which - I fine chaperone really distracting. Not much that can be done about that, really, the benefit is obvious but I really wish I had enough space that the grid never showed up.

The comfort of the headset is fine, but I feel a constant need to fiddle with it and it never feels like I've quite got the fit right. Need to play around with the straps a bit more, but I think it's probably just the design more than anything.

Budget Cuts is phenomenal, by far the best example of what can be done with 360 tracking and a bit of movement space. A real shame the full thing isn't done for launch.

Audioshield is good but I haven't loved any of the patterns in the tracks I've played, which is the same problem I always had with Audiosurf, never as much fun/actually related to the music as normal rhythm games. Are there are hand made ones or are they all automatically generated?

I really like that bullet hell shooter game from The Lab. I wish I could load that directly instead of having to go through all the other stuff.

Lemonte

fuuuuck, I think my second lighthouse just died. I was messing around in virtual desktop and it just stopped tracking and shut down. Nothing happens if I plug it in with usb to pc. :(

Edit. false alarm. My cat somehow managed to unplug my extension cord..........

Edit.2 360 YouTube videos are bad experience. Would not recommend to anyone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Speaking of which - I fine chaperone really distracting. Not much that can be done about that, really, the benefit is obvious but I really wish I had enough space that the grid never showed up.

get one of these
6aoQIiV.jpg

Nice impressions though. Getting the feeling the Vive is a bit of a beta headset in terms of fit and finish, and some of the tracking software. But the tracking and controllers are so good you accept the shortcomings.

Crispy75

I wonder if there will be any 3rd party straps/padding etc. to help with comfort on the vive? I'm definitely leaning that way cos I have the space for roomscale and I don't see how Oculus' camera tracking can beat lighthouse. But I also want something comfortable...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hey guys, how do you pick up junk in Hover Junkers?

With the pointing tool that you have in your left hand when you start. If you already transformed it into the map and driving thing you can press up on the touchpad to get back to the basic tool. Then you need to point at the containers and keep the trigger (I think) pressed until it feels out the bar and opens the container and then you get usually 2 items which you can grab with the same pointer and put on your ship where you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom