• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One additional difference is that with Pre you don't get the free games: Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush.

Edit: Played the first two missions in Quar: Battle for Gate 18. It reinforced my opinion that strategy games could do great in VR either tabletop or God mode. For now this is a very basic turn based strategy game, but it's still very early in the game. Even so, it's a bit like a Advance Wars VR. If it doesn't get more complex later, I want an Advance Wars for VR, please.

One additional difference is that with Pre you don't get the free games: Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush.

Yeah this has been my one regret getting my Vive second hand, it's great that I got it early and can turn off the incessant "Need Vive" buzzing in my head that would undoubtedly follow me into another month, but so far I haven't got a taste of one of the pack-in titles. I'm dyin to play Job Sim but just can't justify 40 clams for something I'm not sure will give me much mileage gameplay-wise, pretty much waiting on a sale for that and the rest, which will likely be awhile.

Curious to hear some impressions on Out of Ammo, if it's got some meat on its bones for replay value might have to snatch it up.

IMACOMPUTA

"headset is connected but not tracking"

Oh my god I'm getting frustrated.

Well, I've been messing around with it for nearly an hour and a half now. I've unplugged everything/plugged it back in, restarted my PC multiple times, reinstalled Steam VR, still nothing.
Guess I can try again tomorrow. Really pissed off right now. Steam's software side of the Vive is total shit.
Buyer beware.

Is it normal for the basestations to be gray in the SteamVR status window until the controllers are turned on? Or is this happening because my headset isn't being tracked?

No, I don't. And I tried covering my monitor with a shirt and it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone know what the button next to the light on the HMD does?

I've tried turning the camera off and it didn't change anything. Yesterday when I first set everything up it was fine. Everything worked.

Yeah base stations are on, b and c is set. I even tried switching them so b is now c, c is now b. Still nothing.
Yeah i just tried installing the bluetooth driver and it said it was installed. Still no luck. Really don't know what to do. I think my headset broke by just sitting on my desk overnight.

Edit: Now it's telling me there is a firmware update for the headset out of nowhere... WTF is going on?

Sorry to hear that :(

So, I fixed my issue with the headset not being tracked....

by.. unplugging the 3 headset cords from the link box for a couple hours and then plugging them back in.

Yeah, I dunno. Works now.

Aaaaaand here I am 24 hours later, same thing happening again. Not working.

I guess the Vive only works from 11pm-2am.

Monger

Aaaaaand here I am 24 hours later, same thing happening again. Not working.

I guess the Vive only works from 11pm-2am.

Gray boxes in SteamVR for the transmitter boxes again? What color is the led on them?

Have you tried connecting the sync cable to see what happens? If you can, try that and put them to A and b.

All right, just got my authorization heads up email. April wave 2.

Same here!

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

Evo X

Alright. Got everything setup and went through the tutorial and a bit of the Lab.

I feel like a kid again! I was smiling throughout the whole thing.

A few small problems. I can't get audio to pass through the headset. I have to plug in my headphones into my actual PC, which is annoying because the cable is not that long.

I also still haven't found the right fit for this thing so it slides around my face a bit when I move and feels very front heavy. Still need to tweak IPD and lens distance. I want to be as close as possible for best FOV, right?

IMACOMPUTA

Gray boxes in SteamVR for the transmitter boxes again? What color is the led on them?

Have you tried connecting the sync cable to see what happens? If you can, try that and put them to A and b.
No the basestations are actually solid green. So it's obvious the headset sees them. Why does it say not tracking?
Base stations both have green lights, as does the headset.

undecided

They seem to be billing in waves so I would guess it's so that people make sure their billing information is in order.

I could see that, but it seems like an abnormally high volume of posts, like when they sent the first email to everyone.

I'll call my bank but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high these days.

Helznicht

A few small problems. I can't get audio to pass through the headset. I have to plug in my headphones into my actual PC, which is annoying because the cable is not that long.

As I believe the audio is coming over the HDMI, you may need to go into your PC audio settings and turn sound over HDMI on (set as an audio device). This defaults to off in Windows.

Evo X

As I believe the audio is coming over the HDMI, you may need to go into your PC audio settings and turn sound over HDMI on (set as an audio device). This defaults to off in Windows.

Just decided to use my Playstation Gold wireless bluetooth headphones. They're pretty light and one less wire to worry about.

Well it took me ages to set everything up, moving rooms, drilling with blunt drill bits etc, but man it was worth it, I absolutely love VR, what an amazing experience! All that worry I had about being low res etc actually doesn't mean that much, you're in the game and that is your world! Fantastic experience.

As a tip, in SteamVR settings from the desktop you can change what audio device it should change to when you use SteamVR and which one to set it to when you're done. Really useful in this scenario.

*Edit* To make it more clear since it seems like some people don't know about this. To access SteamVR settings, first you launch SteamVR itself. Then in the pop-up box which appears which shows the headset/controller/lightouse indicators, you should be able to click "SteamVR" since it has a drop down. You access the SteamVR settings menu in there.

Jams775

Glad I used PayPal

I also got a auth email

The email said if you used PayPal that the money would already be deducted. Did that happen to you? I have a feeling these emails (I got one too) are sent out 24 hours before they go through with the charges or the authorizations to give everyone a chance to call their bank.

Regardless, I'm guess I'll be getting my Vive some time next week?

Durante

Today I tried the Budget Cuts demo for the first time.

I was skeptical of all the hype for it (simply because I'm generally cynical when something is that popular :p), but it's easily one of the most exhilarating game experiences I've had in the past 5 years -- I don't even want to know what my pulse went up to when I lost sight of one robot while another was closing in on me. Absolutely fantastic use of room scale and tracked controllers too.

I was skeptical of all the hype for it (simply because I'm generally cynical when something is that popular :p), but it's easily one of the most exhilarating game experiences I've had in the past 5 years -- I don't even want to know what my pulse went up to when I lost sight of one robot while another was closing in on me. Absolutely fantastic use of room scale and tracked controllers too.

It's amazing, isn't it? Full game can't come soon enough.
I got my Rift today. Never want to put on my Vive headset again, Rift is just a much better designed bit of kit with no feeling of hassle or discomfort putting it on, taking it off or wearing it. But I am not ready to give up tracked controllers while I wait for Touch. Urgh.

The email said if you used PayPal that the money would already be deducted. Did that happen to you? I have a feeling these emails (I got one too) are sent out 24 hours before they go through with the charges or the authorizations to give everyone a chance to call their bank.

Regardless, I'm guess I'll be getting my Vive some time next week?

Yes I was charged the day of pre orders

Monger

No the basestations are actually solid green. So it's obvious the headset sees them. Why does it say not tracking?
Base stations both have green lights, as does the headset.

That's really strange then. I wish I had an answer for you.

It's really amazing. I hit a 2nd robot in a room with a diving throw and then just scooted over to him to pull out the knife because I was so worried there'd be another one.

The game just plays so incredibly well. Everything is really intuitive.

Durante

It's amazing, isn't it? Full game can't come soon enough.
Absolutely. The core gameplay already feels really polished.
I got my Rift today. Never want to put on my Vive headset again, Rift is just a much better designed bit of kit with no feeling of hassle or discomfort putting it on, taking it off or wearing it. But I am not ready to give up tracked controllers while I wait for Touch. Urgh.
I admittedly haven't used my Rift for more than an hour after getting the Vive, but I do feel a lot of hassle using it -- or at least something like "hassle": the fear of leaving the camera cone and losing tracking. It's insanely liberating for me (especially after a lot of time with DK2) to never have to worry about that (I never lost Vive HMD tracking in my entire 3.4x2.8 play area, even when crouching etc),

The game just plays so incredibly well. Everything is really intuitive.
Yeah, the UX is amazing for what's supposed to be a pre-alpha demo.

Compsiox

Banned
I spent 4 hours creating an amazing coaster in Chunks. The only problem is that I uploaded it to Workshop by accident early on but I didn't want anyone to see so I deleted it from workshop.

Now I can't upload it because it says that the steam workshop item doesn't exist and I don't know how to change the name of the world (if that would even help).

Someone help me pliss ;-;

Evo X

As a tip, in SteamVR settings from the desktop you can change what audio device it should change to when you use SteamVR and which one to set it to when you're done. Really useful in this scenario.

Nice! That's super helpful.

Also enabled the front facing camera so it's much more comfortable to stay in VR while moving around constantly. Can't imagine roomscale without that and Chaperone.

Durante

Nice! That's super helpful.

Also enabled the front facing camera so it's much more comfortable to stay in VR while moving around constantly. Can't imagine roomscale without that and Chaperone.
I wouldn't really need the front facing camera if I had a tracked cup or bottle.

It's important to stay hydrated for Audioshield :p

Evo X

So how freaking cool is the Foo Show?

I can't wait to walk around other game environments in VR and check out all the modeled objects up close 1:1 scale.

taoofjord

I spent 4 hours creating an amazing coaster in Chunks. The only problem is that I uploaded it to Workshop by accident early on but I didn't want anyone to see so I deleted it from workshop.

Now I can't upload it because it says that the steam workshop item doesn't exist and I don't know how to change the name of the world (if that would even help).

Someone help me pliss ;-;

Can't help you but I'd love to hear your impressions on it! Looks fun!

TheCrow

So how freaking cool is the Foo Show?

I can't wait to walk around other game environments in VR and check out all the modeled objects up close 1:1 scale.

It was great and there's a ton of potential. As someone who into hearing about what goes on behind the scenes of game development, I love the concept of developers talking about their games as they're in that world. I'm also a big fan of Jake, Sean and Will so I might be biased. However, I just ran my sister through a 2 hour demo of the vive and even she enjoyed the Foo Show. And she had no idea who any of them were or what firewatch was. I'm excited to see what Will comes up with for future episodes and it sounds like he has some ambitious ideas.

So Holopoint.

Where getting into the top 100 players means pulling the HMD cables out of the breakout box at least once.

I couldn't decide if I was Legolas or Katniss Everdeen. Either way, I started feeling like a boss.

buy it

Evo X

Whoops. Just realized I have been playing all night with the clear protective stickers still on the lighthouses. That would explain the few tracking inconsistencies I noticed.

Arulan

Pretty sure you can't. They just expect you to swap them in the real world.

I may be wrong, but I believe they're set in the order they turn on, first right, then left. I know I've turned off my controllers and turned them back on to swap hands before.

IMACOMPUTA

you connecting the base stations with the wire?

Yeah I tried that and it didn't help.

But again, like last night: unplugged everything, waited a couple hours, went back downstairs and it just worked.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't bring my cellphones down there tonight or last night when it worked.
I turned them off today when I was down there. I wondered if Bluetooth was interfering with the headset. Dunno.

But
I've changed my mind about hoverjunkers. I think I was just too nervous and uncomfortable in VR at first. Tonight I just let loose and didn't think about hitting the walls or anything and had a blast. The uzi is gonna rule when it's fully put in the game.

I had some people over and job sim/Brookhaven experiment/the lab archery were big hits with everyone. It was a lot of fun blowing everyone's mind.

Waikis

No. Most VR games work very well on a 970 at their default settings (if they have any settings at all that is).

Speaking of settings, I'm not sure if people actually knew about this, but there's actually a graphics settings for Audioshield. I only find out about it when I saw the cogs at the top right corner of the game window on my monitor.

Cartman86

Banned
Yeah I tried that and it didn't help.

But again, like last night: unplugged everything, waited a couple hours, went back downstairs and it just worked.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't bring my cellphones down there tonight or last night when it worked.
I turned them off today when I was down there. I wondered if Bluetooth was interfering with the headset. Dunno.

But
I've changed my mind about hoverjunkers. I think I was just too nervous and uncomfortable in VR at first. Tonight I just let loose and didn't think about hitting the walls or anything and had a blast. The uzi is gonna rule when it's fully put in the game.

I had some people over and job sim/Brookhaven experiment/the lab archery were big hits with everyone. It was a lot of fun blowing everyone's mind.

I had a ton of problems last week when I installed the HTC software and bound my phone to the headset. Ended up uninstalling all of that.

Zaptruder

Banned
I admittedly haven't used my Rift for more than an hour after getting the Vive, but I do feel a lot of hassle using it -- or at least something like "hassle": the fear of leaving the camera cone and losing tracking. It's insanely liberating for me (especially after a lot of time with DK2) to never have to worry about that (I never lost Vive HMD tracking in my entire 3.4x2.8 play area, even when crouching etc),

That fear is overblown. Ok, it's not - but given that most of the Rift experiences are seating/standing experiences, in practice it shouldn't effect you at all. Except when attempting to explore a environment in roomscale... but then that's not the intent of most Rift experiences right now.

I just wish that I could use the Rift with the Vive controllers now. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom