• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory |OT|: Tons and Tons of MOE!

Stuart444

Just started the game... with all the talking at the start from Nepgear, it almost seems like
this is meant to be a direct sequel to Mk2 with the mention of Arfoire and everything. Though as far as I know it's not a direct sequel but it sure acts like it is

cjkeats

Just got back from my EB. It only shipped yesterday from the vendor so they won't have it till tomorrow. And that's a "maybe tomorrow". :(

cjkeats

Heh, I just noticed the "that other" on the soundtrack cover.

nMAFbHf.jpg

Rarutos

Just started the game... with all the talking at the start from Nepgear, it almost seems like
this is meant to be a direct sequel to Mk2 with the mention of Arfoire and everything. Though as far as I know it's not a direct sequel but it sure acts like it is

It actually is a direct sequel as far as I know.

Stuart444

It actually is a direct sequel as far as I know.

I'm starting to figure it out. Direct sequel as in it takes place after Mk 2 but different world because most of the game takes place in the other Universe/the past.

Hence the confusion whenever I read up about this game pre-release.

squall211

Is it worth picking up mk2? I've heard the first game is pretty forgettable, but is the second one good enough that it's worth playing before Victory?

Volcynika

Is it worth picking up mk2? I've heard the first game is pretty forgettable, but is the second one good enough that it's worth playing before Victory?

I really enjoyed mk2. Though I think at this point you could pick up that or Victory (or both if you want a heapin' helpin' of Neptunia)!

Stuart444

I absolutely hated the first one (Gameplay wise, story/character wise, I'd probably enjoy it if the characters are at least the same way they are in Mk2/Victory) and I loved Mk2. I would really recommend playing Mk2 rather than the first one. Mk2s gameplay is also pretty similar to this so it's not as bad as going from 1 to Mk2.

Rarutos

I'm starting to figure it out. Direct sequel as in it takes place after Mk 2 but different world because most of the game takes place in the other Universe/the past.

Hence the confusion whenever I read up about this game pre-release.

Yeah, that's right!

Yes, I'd say so.

They said this is the last of the saga, right?
I have noooo idea.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Got the game.....

Poured around 3 hours into the game, here are my spoiler free impressions.
  • Neptune rocks as a lead, her crazy view on everything makes everything so much better
  • The game definitely breaks the fourth wall way more than the OG game and Mk2
  • The soundtrack is between Mk2 and the OG game in quality
  • The game is easy at first, then the game's difficulty spikes around 3 hours in
  • The game introduces the characters to make it so that people who never played a neptunia game could know the jist of what happened in Mk2
  • Noire is awesome, especially her interation with Neptune
  • Plutia has a cute design, but her personality is not as cool. She has Neptune's laziness without the quirky personality
  • The game introduces the interesting concepts of how does a person become a Goddess in the world of Gameindustri
  • The game has nods to both Mk2 and the original game, even if it is the direct sequel to only Mk2

cjkeats

Made some avatars, if anyone wants to rep the Nep.
vdUMQaR.png
ZkZewyP.png
wC9IB9v.png
(Dunno why this one is smaller)

nSYqa1a.png
Jj3PTRf.png

I almost wanted to keep Nepgear for myself.

Animekatt

My lunch boxes should be arriving tomorrow afternoon. I have so many games to play that I don't think I will start this right away.

Mine came today!

Might try to start on it tonight or this weekend. I hate to say it, but Neptunia is one of the few games that I actually finish nowadays.

Kainazzo

Got the game.....

Boy, wouldn't it be interesting to take that metal lunchbox to school in the 1960s' :p

Out of curiosity, since the girl on the cover is different from the one on the disc, did they pull a Working Designs and make multiple variants? I imagine they're aware of the collector crowd that'd pay to have them all. It'd be neat to see that again!

Hcoregamer00

Boy, wouldn't it be interesting to take that metal lunchbox to school in the 1960s' :p

Out of curiosity, since the girl on the cover is different from the one on the disc, did they pull a Working Designs and make multiple variants? I imagine they're aware of the collector crowd that'd pay to have them all. It'd be neat to see that again!

I am not following you.....

But each piece of the collectors edition had at least 1 or two pieces of original art. I look forward to the inevitable (and expensive) artbook that will come out, and the various art in an out of the collectors editions gives a pretty good idea of the breath of art that will be published in a future artbook.

Kainazzo

I am not following you.....

But each piece of the collectors edition had at least 1 or two pieces of original art. I look forward to the inevitable (and expensive) artbook that will come out, and the various art in an out of the collectors editions gives a pretty good idea of the breath of art that will be published in a future artbook.

That is to say, your disc has Noire on it. Did they make alternate discs with Vert or Neptune on them instead? Working Designs did that partially to encourage enthusiasts to buy multiple copies of their game to acquire all of the variants.

Edit: Each individual collector's box has original art not available to anyone else? That's pretty cool!

Hcoregamer00

That is to say, your disc has Noire on it. Did they make alternate discs with Vert or Neptune on them instead? Working Designs did that partially to encourage enthusiasts to buy multiple copies of their game to acquire all of the variants.

Edit: Each individual collector's box had original art not available to anyone else? That's pretty cool!

No, all the discs probably have the same art on it, unless someone can post photos that proves otherwise.

I think you are misreading what I said. To clairify, the art for all the collector's edition is not redundant. Each piece of the collectors edition (2 lunch boxes, mini artbook, music CD, and Game) all use different art. I was merely pointing out that they could have easily recycled the artwork by pasting 3 pieces of art across the all the objects, but they opted to put unique art on each piece.

Kainazzo

No, all the discs probably have the same art on it, unless someone can post photos that proves otherwise.

I think you are misreading what I said. To clairify, the art for all the collector's edition is not redundant. Each piece of the collectors edition (2 lunch boxes, mini artbook, music CD, and Game) all use different art. I was merely pointing out that they could have easily recycled the artwork by pasting 3 pieces of art across the all the objects, but they opted to put unique art on each piece.

Ah, got'cha.

AniHawk

Edit: Each individual collector's box has original art not available to anyone else? That's pretty cool!

er, all the art is the same for each thing. so, the boxes are all the same boxes, the discs are all the same discs. the art on the boxes aren't on anything else, although some of the chibis appear in the art book.

that was essentially what the japanese version was. it was an intentional choice not to follow that. it's why iris and black heart appear on the disc and manual instead of purple heart again. it's not a big change, but it was done to avoid that redundancy.

incidentally, the japanese art that was on everything is only available as an art print in america.

Amaron

Banned
I remember eyeing the mk2 limited edition... ah what the hell, I'll bite for the moe. Guess I'll play mk2 first though.

Lockon

Mine still haven't shipped yet, though I forgot to order it when it came up and now I'm missing out on the lunch boxes and have wait longer for my game to come in. I'm get those pins/buttons from NISA store instead...

Can this game only be purchased via ordering? Just checking EB's availability and there's no option for it even though it says it ships on the 21st. Wikipedia says it comes out the 21st as well so I'm not sure what's going on.

Stuart444

Neptunia V has an odd difficulty spike. Heading to Lastation and getting damaged quite badly with damage between 500 - 800ish depending on the enemy (at level 7).

I don't actively try to avoid enemies til it seems like if I don't, I die. It's odd since Neptunia Mk2 was so easy in comparison.

Hcoregamer00

DAMN, the game has some insane difficulty spikes.

10 hrs in and i spent way too much time grinding so I could BARELY survive boss battles.

Neptunia and Mk2 had its moments when you did the hard dungeons and missions, but this game is MUCH harder than those two in the story mode dungeons. Looking forward to the replay where you are maxed out and this is a cakewalk so that will make the second time flow much better, since I am spending way too much time grinding >_<

Neptunia V has an odd difficulty spike. Heading to Lastation and getting damaged quite badly with damage between 500 - 800ish depending on the enemy (at level 7).

I don't actively try to avoid enemies til it seems like if I don't, I die. It's odd since Neptunia Mk2 was so easy in comparison.

You are going to have so much "fun" once you hit the bosses :(

Hcoregamer00

NepGaf, just a warning that this game is a lot more grindy than previous games.

Don't say I didn't warn you when your copies arrive.

Hcoregamer00

Some viral monsters just took me out like I was nothing... from near full HP :(

Yeah, in a dungeon with Nep and Noire with 5700 HP, a boss attacks us 2500 HP and kills off my healer. My team attacks 1,200 HP total, Then this boss heals 1000 HP......

Back to GRINDING AGAIN. RAWR!!!! >__<

Stuart444

Yeah, in a dungeon with Nep and Noire with 5700 HP, a boss attacks us 2500 HP and kills off my healer. My team attacks 1,200 HP total, Then this boss heals 1000 HP......

Back to GRINDING AGAIN. RAWR!!!! >__<

I'm on the boss in in the dungeon before Lastation. doing 1000+ damage and healing for 900 each turn. -_-

edit: Yeah okay, Fuck this. I'll play it more if I feel like it later but the difficulty spike between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 is ridiculous. Even more so when you compare how much experience you get versus how much you need to level up (versus how tough the boss is).

I think this may be the first JRPG in a long-ass while where I actually need to grind just to continue the story. Except Maybe in Disgaea but unlike this, that is part of the charm of the Disgaea series (and even then, there is ways to make grinding shorter without feeling like you're going to get killed in each battle)

Hcoregamer00

I'm on the boss in in the dungeon before Lastation. doing 1000+ damage and healing for 900 each turn. -_-

edit: Yeah okay, Fuck this. I'll play it more if I feel like it later but the difficulty spike between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 is ridiculous. Even more so when you compare how much experience you get versus how much you need to level up (versus how tough the boss is).

I think this may be the first JRPG in a long-ass while where I actually need to grind just to continue the story. Except Maybe in Disgaea but unlike this, that is part of the charm of the Disgaea series (and even then, there is ways to make grinding shorter without feeling like you're going to get killed in each battle)

I am further than you and I can confirm that grinding is necessity to move forward in the game.

It is not a one-off situation, it happens again many times :(

Top Bottom