• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
mclaren777 said:
I just found some software that makes W7 have a Start menu like XP. It's not perfect, but it's much preferable over the stock layout.

Link

http://i.imgur.com/GmaM1.png

a much simpler way would be to disable the Aero (or whatever) theme and turn on all the forgotten XP features like "Run..."

Untitled-1-2.jpg

2Qr.

Can anyone tell me which processor should I get the i5-2500K or the Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition? and Why?

coopolon

Why would you do that to a computer?

Plus, don't use the start menu except for the shortcuts on the first part. Everything else just search.

AshMcCool

MrBelmontvedere said:
a much simpler way would be to disable the Aero (or whatever) theme and turn on all the forgotten XP features like "Run..."

Does't the searchbar pretty much cover anything that "run.." did?

Fredescu

AshMcCool said:
Does't the searchbar pretty much cover anything that "run.." did?
It's slower, plus you can't use arguments like -windowed or whatever from search. Windows Key+R is faster again, so it doesn't really need to be in the Start Menu.

Shambles

Run is still available in the start menu. You just have to right click the start menu, go to options and turn it on. I still use it quite often but I'm like the cool kids and just hit Windows+R instead.

xero273

People that ordered from newegg should be getting a email about the recall. Here is what the email says

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

xero273 said:
People that ordered from newegg should be getting a email about the recall. Here is what the email says

Yep, I got it. Great job by all parties involved. I'll be more than happy to swap my Gigabyte UD3 for a new board, one that doesn't suffer from ridiculous vdroop.

Flambe

NCIX has sent an email too:

These Notices Are For All NCIX PC Customers With LGA1155 Systems:
1. Customers who have already purchased their system will be credited with 5000 NCIX Rewards points.
2. Systems that are currently in the assembly phase will have to be approved by the customer before they will be completed & shipped.
3. All systems will be assembled using only the available SATA3 6.0Gb/s ports whenever possible.
4. NCIX will perform complimentary motherboard exchanges once replacements are available from the various manufacturers. Once updated boards are available, please schedule an appointment online or with your local NCIX retail store. If your order was shipped, then NCIX will cover the shipping charges both ways to return the system or motherboard to us for replacement.
5. The 12 month NCIX PC warranty will be extended on ALL Sandy Bridge systems to 18 months to compensate our customers for any inconvenience that is caused by being without their system during a motherboard exchange.

So not bad at all, 5000 reward points ($50ish) and free to/from shipping for the mobos, extended warranty.

Kenka

Grrr... many posters on the forums around say to people that are in my current condition (motherboard Aspire M3641, Intel Dual Core E 5200 @ 2.50 GHz, nVidia 9800 GT and 4 Go of RAM) that upgrading the GPU is the last thing to consider.

The thing is I don't know where to start if I want to significantly increase my performance overall. I am having a real good time with The Witcher, as I said earlier in this thread, and I want to spend minimum money in order to get a real bang for my buck in regard to the upcoming sequel as well as Skyrim.

What should I change actually in my current config, you think ? What is the obvious bottleneck ? Thanks much in advance :(

Ok, just got my SSD in the mail. From what people have said, I should unplug every other HDD and install the OS. I'll reinstall steam and set it to install in the old directory. Now from that point, what should I do to be able to use all the programs I had on the old main drive?

vocab

The Big Rig said:
Ok, just got my SSD in the mail. From what people have said, I should unplug every other HDD and install the OS. I'll reinstall steam and set it to install in the old directory. Now from that point, what should I do to be able to use all the programs I had on the old main drive?

You put the programs you want to use on the SSD. That's the reason you bought it right?

coopolon

keeblerdrow said:
Coulda (and has) been done by anyone. No worries.

So, I'm relying on all of you here. You're gonna tell me if a megadeal comes up on a video card, right? RIGHT? Cause I missed out on the last one (5870 for $200) and it has been breaking my heart ever since.

It's still available for $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102883&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product

A 6870 for $150 though...that's a very good deal. In fact, based on this comparison, it's a much better deal.

coopolon said:
It's still available for $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102883&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product

A 6870 for $150 though...that's a very good deal. In fact, based on this comparison, it's a much better deal.

Oh my god, I want to hump you right now.

I'm going for the 5870, except for tesselation, it whoops the 6870's ass. And I don't have to deal with 3 separate rebates. I just have a feeling I'm gonna be ripped off on the rebates. I just know it.

Thank you.

Jin34

Whats a good 140mm fan to put on the other top fan slot in the Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced? I care a lot more about airflow than noise btw.

Porkepik

I<m so glad of my new PC it replaced a 7 years old athlon xp2600 with geforce 7600gs pci

Now i got a dell xps 9100, i7-930 12 gig Ati 5870. I did not want to bother building the pc and saving a big 200$ (got the pc for 1400$ with 3 years waranty)

I don'T want to oc it and it suits all my needs, Blu-ray watching,gaming, video encoding. I just finished playing crysis on 1920*1080 all very high 4*AA and it was superbly smooth. Red faction goes too fast and Mass effect is a beauty. I don'T think i'll need to change it for quite some time(hoping the next 5 years).

What's the use of buying faster than a 5870/6870/6950 or GTX560 btw. If i can play everything maxed out i don<T see any use except for bragging rights.

All in all I<m glad I waited some years, my 360 and ps3 filled their stopgap role admirably and i<ll still play with them for a long time.

Oh btw, the PC is used on my projector with a 100'' screen and home theater sound. Really I can<t think of something more immersive (and don<t talk to me about 3D)

Except for OC is there any value to build a pc by itself right now (i builded my 3 last pc by myself so it was not a problem of know how)value can easyly be found in brands pc especially if you have to buy a copy of win7 in addition

scitek said:
How's a 5870 compare to a 6950?

EDIT: NM, didn't notice you can compare anything you want on that site! Looks like the two are neck-and-neck. Is the 2GB 6950 worth another $70?

It gets licked, but not by as much as you'd think. It's surprising, but I'd say that the 6950 is worth the extra $60 it costs. I just don't have the extra $60.

Quake1028

HELP!

OK I have the PC setup and everything is fine....BUT at random times and intervals there is this beeping coming from the PC. I have never built a machine before so I have no clue what it could be.

vocab

scitek said:
How's a 5870 compare to a 6950?

EDIT: NM, didn't notice you can compare anything you want on that site! Looks like the two are neck-and-neck. Is the 2GB 6950 worth another $70?

To unlock it to a 6970, yes. If your upgrading from a really old card it's gonna be a huge difference. 5870 is a hell of a card though, and I regret not paying the extra $50 when I bought my 5850. I wish upgrading to a 6950 was worth it for me, but it's not much of an upgrade. It's a better card, but the gains I'll be getting isn't that big.

Joe Molotov said:
Ewww, that's gross, dude. Might as well download a sweet Windows 3.1 skin while you're at it.

I suppose you're referring to the lack of Aero. maybe I'm crazy (...) but I have no desire for a bubbly interface for my computer with all the relevant bits hidden. disabling Aero is the first thing I do when installing W7.

Jin34

Gloomfire said:
HELP!

OK I have the PC setup and everything is fine....BUT at random times and intervals there is this beeping coming from the PC. I have never built a machine before so I have no clue what it could be.

You mean you can be in Windows no problem but there is a beep at a set interval of time? You need to go to the BIOS and check the warning settings. For example: you have your cpu cooler on a molex connector instead of the mobo cpu fan connector, that would make a warning beep because it thinks the cpu fan isnt working.

Another thing can be the cpu going over the the warning temp but this is less likely.

Fredescu

rocK` said:
So what's a comparable Intel processor now that the i7 2600K is out of the picture?
The 2500K if you're ok without hyperthreading. If not, just wait for them to come back into stock I guess.

scitek

vocab said:
To unlock it to a 6970, yes. If your upgrading from a really old card it's gonna be a huge difference. 5870 is a hell of a card though, and I regret not paying the extra $50 when I bought my 5850. I wish upgrading to a 6950 was worth it for me, but it's not much of an upgrade. It's a better card, but the gains I'll be getting isn't that big.

Oh shit, I remember reading about that. Totally slipped my mind. Can you do that with all of them? I figured they would have stopped allowing it somehow.

scitek said:
Oh shit, I remember reading about that. Totally slipped my mind. Can you do that with all of them? I figured they would have stopped allowing it somehow.

None of the 1GB versions. Newer 2GBs can't do it anymore from what I hear, too. Gotta snag what's in the market now for a chance at it.

mclaren777

MrBelmontvedere said:
I don't like having shortcuts on the desktop and I frequently use far too many programs to pin them all to the Start menu.

mclaren777

Gloomfire said:
HELP!

We need far more detail.

When/where is this happening?
Is your computer functioning normally otherwise?
Are all of your fans spinning at reasonable speeds?
etc...

Wow I am glad I managed to get all my stuff before the recall. I guess Intel doesn't want any more chipsets sold as they will all be replaced in a few months time anyway.

Raistlin

Anyone ever set up two RAID arrays from scratch? I'm planning to do a mirrored OS drive and a RAID 10 data array (4 x 500MB discs). A quick overview of the process would be helpful.

vocab

scitek said:

If you buy one now you should be fine. 2Gb only though.

Jin34

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Wow I am glad I managed to get all my stuff before the recall. I guess Intel doesn't want any more chipsets sold as they will all be replaced in a few months time anyway.

Well yeah who do you think they are? Microsoft?

Jak140

Flambe said:
NCIX has sent an email too:

So not bad at all, 5000 reward points ($50ish) and free to/from shipping for the mobos, extended warranty.

Just got this email from Newegg. Not as awesome as NCIX customer service, I guess, but at least they are addressing it:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fredescu said:
The 2500K if you're ok without hyperthreading. If not, just wait for them to come back into stock I guess.
i'm guessing he means because of the sandy bridge issue,making all 1155 CPUs no good.
I'm not sure there is anything comparable. maybe a hexacore i7 with triple channel RAM. but that'll be v.expensive

mrklaw

MrArseFace
keeblerdrow said:
None of the 1GB versions. Newer 2GBs can't do it anymore from what I hear, too. Gotta snag what's in the market now for a chance at it.
have you seen anything specific about 2GB cards not being able to unlock the extra shaders? overclock to 6970 speeds I'm less concerned about.

Its something I thought ATI and the card makers might leave alone. especially with the 1GB card making the 2GB questionable value for many. The shader unlock could be a way to keep selling the 2GB at a decent price, as a budget 6970. Those that want full 6970 performance will still look at a 6970, as 6950 memory doesn't seem to overclock that well. and anyone that doesnt want the hassle of overclocking can just go straight for the 6970.

So I think leaving it unlockable is good. otherwise the 1GB is plenty for most people running 1920x1080/1200

mrklaw said:
have you seen anything specific about 2GB cards not being able to unlock the extra shaders? overclock to 6970 speeds I'm less concerned about.

Its something I thought ATI and the card makers might leave alone. especially with the 1GB card making the 2GB questionable value for many. The shader unlock could be a way to keep selling the 2GB at a decent price, as a budget 6970. Those that want full 6970 performance will still look at a 6970, as 6950 memory doesn't seem to overclock that well. and anyone that doesnt want the hassle of overclocking can just go straight for the 6970.

So I think leaving it unlockable is good. otherwise the 1GB is plenty for most people running 1920x1080/1200

I've heard a couple users over on a similar thread to this on SA say that they couldn't unlock their new 6950s. Everyone was assuming ATI was catching on and put a stop to it going forward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2GB cards? Hmm, that makes me lean towards the gtx560. Both seem similar at stock speeds but the 560 sounds easy to overclock with good results.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guys help me settle this will ya.Imagine the following scenarios :

Two identical gpus -
Both indefinitely running the same game.

One runs it at 60fps locked with the help of v-sync/triplebuff
The other runs it uncapped at 600fps

Will one be more strained than the other? I.e will the one that is "working harder" inevitably die first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom