• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Gloomfire said:
Pardon my ignorance but how would I go about doing that? Meaning do I need a special program or something?

Also, check your PM's :D.

Download CDburnerXp. It's free, and just click burn iso image, and point to the iso.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so if I'm aiming for an 825ish clock on my gtx 460, what should the rest of the settings be? I.e shader/memory (?) ?

JoeBoy101

knitoe said:
On my Asus Deluxe, tried moving 2 drives to Marvell Sata controller, but they won't show up in Windows 7. They do appear during bootup Marvell Utility. Also, tried installing the Marvell drivers from Asus website, but they don't seem to do anything. Move the drives back to Intel controller and they show up right away. Any idea what step am I missing?

Did you get a support DVD with your mobo? Might have proper drivers on there.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
NCIX is good for buying parts right? If they still have the SB in stock on Friday, I will bite and order that day.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Solo said:
Yes. No worries in ordering from them.
Ok, on their site it still says the MB and CPU is still available. I hope this will not change in a few days. I want performance now.

Is there not a build it option there? Or at least some decent MB/CPU/RAM bundles? I'm findind it a little difficult to browse.

vocab

Corky said:
so if I'm aiming for an 825ish clock on my gtx 460, what should the rest of the settings be? I.e shader/memory (?) ?

Just do one at a time, 5mhz increase till you see artifacts. -5mhz till stable. Once you hit stable move on to memory, and do the same thing. You can hit higher, but you need voltage adjustments.

Corky

so when will I know when to up the voltage on my gpu when overclocking?

I tried running the gpus at 850/1700/1800 on stock voltage but my screen blacked out and I had to reboot 20ish seconds into unigine heaven. 825 didnt crash or give me artifacts, should I up the voltage?

vocab

Corky said:
so when will I know when to up the voltage on my gpu when overclocking?

I tried running the gpus at 850/1700/1800 on stock voltage but my screen blacked out and I had to reboot 20ish seconds into unigine heaven. 825 didnt crash or give me artifacts, should I up the voltage?

You should first OC without voltage tweaking. Use furmark to determine artifacts. If it crashes in Unigine, then it may not be stable. Also, I forgot Nvidia cards have three options for OCing. I can't seem to find anything about shader OC. 825-850 seems to be the limit with non voltage. Your card may not be able to hit 850. You can do the same thing with Memory (2,000 seems to be the limit with out voltage adjustments).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jocchan said:
EDIT: never mind. Thanks anyway :)

they are both really close. In some benchmarks the 560 wins, in some the 6950 wins. If you can wait, the 6950 1GB will probably be about the same price as the 560.

560 seems to run cooler and quieter, by a few dB and about 9 degrees.

I don't know either and have to choose soon.

Corky

update :

went down from 850mhz to 825mhz and ran unigine again, this time with a 1900mhz memory clock. Stock voltage.

The temps for both cards peaked at 72C which I'm happy with, and yet the fan never went above 70%. Saw an almost 20% increase of fps/performance in unigine, hopefully this will be a stable 24/7 clock, not that ambitious seeing as I run at stock voltage still. I don't know if this is wierd or not but 850mhz seems impossible even though I bumped the voltage to 1000mV.

Oh well, now starts the waiting game.

edit :

vocab said:
You should first OC without voltage tweaking. Use furmark to determine artifacts. If it crashes in Unigine, then it may not be stable. Also, I forgot Nvidia cards have three options for OCing. I can't seem to find anything about shader OC. 825-850 seems to be the limit with non voltage. Your card may not be able to hit 850. You can do the same thing with Memory (2,000 seems to be the limit with out voltage adjustments).

Oh that's great news :), I figured running SLI will inevitably make my OC results lower than compared to a singlesetup.

vocab

mrklaw said:
they are both really close. In some benchmarks the 560 wins, in some the 6950 wins. If you can wait, the 6950 1GB will probably be about the same price as the 560.

560 seems to run cooler and quieter, by a few dB and about 9 degrees.

I don't know either and have to choose soon.

Like I said, you find a deal on the 6950 2GB for $269 after MIR on newegg. Unlock that to 6970, and you got a ridiculous card. I'm gonna hold onto my 5850 for a little bit longer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Unfortunately, I'm in Italy, I need it fast (because of my current video card dying) and my budget is more limited than that (200 euro, found the 560 for 209), so I have to settle with what I can get. Thanks everyone for helping.
I ended up choosing the 560, by the way. The 6950 was too far beyond my budget.

Corky

oh man, I don't know if I'm imagining things but the benchmark for metro2033 responded to the overclock much more favorably than unigine.

Options: Resolution: 1920 x 1080; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: High; Antialiasing: MSAA 4X; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Enabled; Tesselation: Enabled; DOF: Disabled

View larger version
Run 0 (Frontline)
Total Frames: 3435, Total Time: 59,88613 sec
Average Framerate: 57.46
Max. Framerate: 393.08 (Frame: 3360)
Min. Framerate: 15.00 (Frame: 3364)

Granted DOF is off and the settings are only set to High, but hot damn almost avg of 60 fps!

mclaren777 said:
I'm glad that I went with 8GB of RAM because my computer uses 2.2GB just browsing GAF on Chrome from a cold boot.
Are you running a lot of tabs or other programs in the background? With just firefox and about 5-10 gaf tabs open, I am only using about 1.2GB.

scitek

Well, the 6950 I was looking at went back up in price, so I'm torn between it and a GTX560 again. I've had a 5770 for the past year, and I like it fine, but some of AMD's driver bullshit is getting old. AMD's OpenGL drivers cause graphical glitches both in the Oddboxx and Chronicles of Riddick, and then I see those pics of dark areas in FEAR 2 and HL2--all games that I play on a semi-regular basis, and I feel like it would be worth it to give nVidia a shot. Then there's the fact that the AMD cards are available in 2GB versions, and I feel like it would be worth it to spring for the extra memory over an nVidia anyway.

vocab

scitek said:
then I see those pics of dark areas in FEAR 2 and HL2

I have not noticed this on my 5850. Granted I haven't played Hl2 on this card, but I'm playing FEAR 2, and do not see anything out of the ordinary. Those look like 16 bit colors to me. Not really sure why this is happening for 6xxx.

If I build my computer now with the bugged chipset that I bought, using the 6.0Gb/s ports for my HDDs and the 3.0Gb/s port for my optical drive which will probably not get used after the initial setup, am I good for now? What's the deal with replacement and is replacing the motherboard problematic (apart from having to redo everything physically)?

Emitan

mclaren777 said:
I'm glad that I went with 8GB of RAM because my computer uses 2.2GB just browsing GAF on Chrome from a cold boot.
That doesn't really mean anything. Your OS is constantly using more RAM than it needs because the system will run faster that way. I can run Chrome on my netbook with 1GB of RAM with 20 tabs open fairly well.

xero273

Schmattakopf said:
If I build my computer now with the bugged chipset that I bought, using the 6.0Gb/s ports for my HDDs and the 3.0Gb/s port for my optical drive which will probably not get used after the initial setup, am I good for now? What's the deal with replacement and is replacing the motherboard problematic (apart from having to redo everything physically)?

hardest thing is what you said. Taking out the board and redoing everything. Nothing has been said about replacements yet. I guess board manufacturers are still talking with intel.

mclaren777

Darkshier said:
Are you running a lot of tabs or other programs in the background? With just firefox and about 5-10 gaf tabs open, I am only using about 1.2GB.
Steam and avast! run at start-up as well as some other background tasks.

And I'm not complaining. I'm just thankful that I spent the extra $30.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you put in the budget substitutions you are looking at $810 minus OS.
Now I am thinking of changing the 6950 in there...

burgerdog said:
Silly mistake overlooking the OP, thanks guys.

Coulda (and has) been done by anyone. No worries.

So, I'm relying on all of you here. You're gonna tell me if a megadeal comes up on a video card, right? RIGHT? Cause I missed out on the last one (5870 for $200) and it has been breaking my heart ever since.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hazaro said:
If you put in the budget substitutions you are looking at $810 minus OS.
Now I am thinking of changing the 6950 in there...

to the GTX 560? Similar performance for lower price?

How "future" proof is a motherboard with a 1366 socket? What I mean is, last time I let my friend build my computer, he literally picked a mobo with an AMD dual core socket and it was outdated that very next summer. I mean, I couldn't buy a more pwerful CPU for it, they stopped supporting it.

Will a motherboard with 1366 socket last me at least a couple of years? Will there be sandybridge cpus for it down the line?

Shambles

Deadly Monk said:
How "future" proof is a motherboard with a 1366 socket? What I mean is, last time I let my friend build my computer, he literally picked a mobo with an AMD dual core socket and it was outdated that very next summer. I mean, I couldn't buy a more pwerful CPU for it, they stopped supporting it.

Will a motherboard with 1366 socket last me at least a couple of years? Will there be sandybridge cpus for it down the line?

Intel likes to change their sockets more often than I change my underwear. 1156 is dead, 1366 is dying, 1155 is the SNB socket but don't expect that to last as long as your upgrade cycle either. Later this year Intel will release their enthusiest parts on socket 2011 that will replace 1366. The way they go we'll probably see 4-6 new sockets before you end up upgrading again.

vocab

Deadly Monk said:

Intel already dropped 1366, and 1156. I really doubt they will make sandy bridge for it. 1366 or 1156 will last a while, but the chances of dropping a new cpu on those boards are next to none.

Ordered all the parts for my Budget Hackintosh...
Let the games begin.
fxfqq9.png
a0f0pk.jpg

3517psm.jpg

11qikg4.png

mkvxbs.jpg
= $19.00

Total cost for a school project capable Intel based Macintosh = $433.42

jiien

Deadly Monk said:

I'm pretty sure the 1366 socket is done? I think the 2011 socket replaces it. I THINK.

The key is to buy a good enough processor (like the 2500k, for example), that will last far longer than you'll even want to keep the parts anyway. If I ever want an upgrade in the future, I won't be trying to upgrade to another CPU on my board; I'll be buying into the completely new technology that will be around in three years. Because the 2500K will certainly last that long.

CrankyJay

Banned
Got my Corsair 600T case. Box is huge.

Don't know what to do for a processor/mobo at this point. Guess I'll wait to see what Intel says about SB.

Didn't I read in this thread somewhere that XFX mail in rebates were more difficult than most to collect on? There's an off of $20, $30 and a $40 rebate all on one 6870 card over at tiger direct. It's tempting, but I'm bad enough at dealing with MIRs, I don't need to deal with a company who is bad with them, too.

vocab

keeblerdrow said:
Didn't I read in this thread somewhere that XFX mail in rebates were more difficult than most to collect on? There's an off of $20, $30 and a $40 rebate all on one 6870 card over at tiger direct. It's tempting, but I'm bad enough at dealing with MIRs, I don't need to deal with a company who is bad with them, too.

The best you can do is send it and hope for best. Don't expect it to come fast. Took Corsair 2-4 weeks to give me my $25.

xero273 said:
hardest thing is what you said. Taking out the board and redoing everything. Nothing has been said about replacements yet. I guess board manufacturers are still talking with intel.
Okay, thank you. Obviously I'd rather not do that, but if that's my only concern, it's not a big deal to me.

CrankyJay

Banned
vocab said:
The best you can do is send it and hope for best. Don't expect it to come fast. Took Corsair 2-4 weeks to give me my $25.

Heh, every rebate form I've filled out in recent weeks say 8-10 weeks.

burgerdog

A friend is telling me that there is a bug with all sandy bridge' cpus, is that true? I was just about ready to order th $900-1k build from the OP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
burgerdog said:
A friend is telling me that there is a bug with all sandy bridge' cpus, is that true? I was just about ready to order th $900-1k build from the OP.

First I've heard of it.

Yes, its been mentioned a lot. Problem is with the motherboard chipset. Means the 3G SATA ports might fail in a small number of cases. Motherboards being pulled from sale

Ugghhh, for the second time in two weeks, I got scammed by Nigerians on eBay while trying to sell my laptop.

Looks like I'll be waiting even longer to build now that I have to post it on eBay again and wait for it to sell..

Super frustrating because the person claimed they were in Illinois on their eBay profile, but when they sent the fake Paypal email they wanted me to ship it to their 'son' in Nigeria. lol

Mr. Hyde

My parents decided to put me in charge of finding them an every day computer in the price range of $400.00 and $600.00. I've built computers before and plan to build my new one, so I have no problem doing that. However, I would consider the option of just buying one already built, if it was good for every day usage (surfing the web, e-mail, scanning, watching videos. No graphically demanding gaming). Does anyone know of a good already built pc to buy or a good build for this price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom