• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

InertiaXr

Curufinwe said:
I think one of these MSI GTX460 cards would be good, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

The Twin Frozr II SOC has no reviews below 4 stars and is only $150 ($130 after rebate), but it's only 768 MB and it's almost 10 inches long.

The CYCLONE 1GD5/OC is $200 (180 after rebate) and is only 8 inches long, but there's 20 bad reviews for it on Newegg.

I have the Cyclone and it's great, OCed by about 20% IIRC and maxes out at locked 60fps games like Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, new TDU2, etc. Haven't tried things like Crysis or Metro on it yet though.

mclaren777

I also bought the 1GB Cyclone because I've heard of reliability problems with some 460 cards and I did't want to chance it with the more OCed variants.

knitoe said:
Something is definitely wrong. Here's mine for comparison:
My benchmark after enabling AHCI:
qs3udv.png

I tried updating the firmware, but apparently you can't on a primary drive.

RedSwirl

Okay I've checked out some other forums and stuff and it looks like the best option might be the 6850. I did a comparison a while ago and found that it out-performs the gtx 460 in most areas and apparently requires less power. It also seems to be cheaper on Newegg.

People in another forum are saying that a 425w power supply would be enough for that card running games at 1080p resolution, and I know I'll be running at less than that. At the same time though, I'm reading on review sites (and AMD itself) that I'll need at least 500w. Am I safe with 425?

Frankfurter said:
You might wanna double check your results with crystaldiskmark: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
If this brings you the same results, there definitely is something wrong.

* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 168.581 MB/s
Sequential Write : 33.068 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 162.838 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 32.517 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 11.602 MB/s [ 2832.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 32.589 MB/s [ 7956.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 47.155 MB/s [ 11512.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 32.795 MB/s [ 8006.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 59.2% (30.4/51.2 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/02/08 10:32:15

I wish NCIX would give status updates on the custom building. I'd like an idea of how long I have to wait if parts are out of stock.

Salaadin

The Big Rig said:

I tried updating the firmware, but apparently you can't on a primary drive.

I might be wrong here but I think that enabling AHCI also requires a Windows reinstall or a registry hack. Did you do either?

mclaren777

mrklaw said:
no, thanks for that. Might just try that EZ mode one then. I don't need the ultimate speed, just a nice bump that'll be safe
The jump to SB was so massive for me that I'm intentionally leaving everything stock for now.

In a few years I'll probably raise the Turbo speed but for now I'm just going to bask in its crazy performance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mclaren777 said:
The jump to SB was so massive for me that I'm intentionally leaving everything stock for now.

In a few years I'll probably raise the Turbo speed but for now I'm just going to bask in its crazy performance.

there is that too. I'm just looking at it because I can, rather than because I need to. Maybe I'll just leave it for a while too.

Red

Salaadin said:
I might be wrong here but I think that enabling AHCI also requires a Windows reinstall or a registry hack. Did you do either?
You are correct. He won't be able to boot properly without changing a registry entry if he switches to AHCI after installing as IDE.
The Big Rig said:
I tried updating the firmware, but apparently you can't on a primary drive.[/QUOTE]
Of course you can. You probably need to boot from a CD. Only leave your SSD and optical drive connected. You'll lose all your data in the process.

Wazzim said:
2500k is sold out in all dutch stores, and I have all other parts ready. :(
Same with online Irish stores (I have to buy from Irish ones so that I can claim the VAT back, a significant 21% saving). Am going to put in my order tomorrow, with the 21% saving I'm getting a very capable machine and a nice full HD LED monitor for €1030.... :D

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2526/snapper1297181924244.jpg

As well as those parts I'm also getting a 6950 and this monitor (they're from a different site though).

http://tinyurl.com/6blf6ol

Only thing let to get is a mouse (already have OS), but I think I'll just make do with my old mouse for a while at least. Its an old HP business mouse that I actually love, and was pretty damn expensive at the time (think the thing cost like €40, although I didn't actually pay for it as I got it free from work) but I don't do any gaming with it so we'll just have to see how it holds up.

Wazzim

Banned
Enemy Of Fate said:
Same with online Irish stores (I have to buy from Irish ones so that I can claim the VAT back, a significant 21% saving). Am going to put in my order tomorrow, with the 21% saving I'm getting a very capable machine and a nice full HD LED monitor for €1030.... :D

As well as those parts I'm also getting a 6950 and this monitor (they're from a different site though).

Only thing let to get is a mouse (already have OS), but I think I'll just make do with my old mouse for a while at least. Its an old HP business mouse that I actually love, and was pretty damn expensive at the time (think the thing cost like €40, although I didn't actually pay for it as I got it free from work) but I don't do any gaming with it so we'll just have to see how it holds up.
Very nice, I am thinking about getting that monitor too. Now we just have to wait till Intel ships early...

knitoe

The Big Rig said:
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 168.581 MB/s
Sequential Write : 33.068 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 162.838 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 32.517 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 11.602 MB/s [ 2832.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 32.589 MB/s [ 7956.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 47.155 MB/s [ 11512.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 32.795 MB/s [ 8006.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 59.2% (30.4/51.2 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/02/08 10:32:15
test2ec.jpg

Why does yours show 51GB vs 56GB total for mine? Maybe, secure erase and/or fresh install of Windows is in order.

RedSwirl

Okay people are giving me more suggestions for cards now:

GTX 560 Ti
Radeon 5870
Radeon 6870
Radeon 5850

I really don't know how any of these would compare to the GTX 460 or HD 6850. I've heard elsewhere that the two aforementioned cards are as high as I should go with a Core 2 Quad CPU.

LegoDad

My SSD shows up as 3gb/s should I put in the 3gb/s SATA or 6gb/s... Pretty sure I installed as IDE, so ill have to redo in ACHI...

My boot time is fast after the bios check, any way to make it skip that and make the boot time quicker...

RedSwirl said:
Okay people are giving me more suggestions for cards now:

GTX 560 Ti
Radeon 5870
Radeon 6870
Radeon 5850

I really don't know how any of these would compare to the GTX 460 or HD 6850. I've heard elsewhere that the two aforementioned cards are as high as I should go with a Core 2 Quad CPU.
As I also have a Core 2 Quad CPU I would like to know what the people talking to RedSwirl are meaning.

For example if there were to be a Radeon 7850 or whatever and is even more powerful than these cards mentioned when it is released, will having a Quad CPU not be good enough for the GPU?

I'm no expert in PC hardware so if anyone could comment on this I would appreciate it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
The Big Rig said:
Thanks. I'll reinstall the OS, maybe that'll make the difference.
let the Win7 installation routine destroy and create a new partition for you. it could be the case that your partition isn't aligned, which has an effect on your drive's performance.

hey GAF where is my bottleneck? I want to upgrade soon for Skyrim and finally be able to max StarCraft II and Crysis, but I don't know what needs an upgrade the most.

2dtmxdi.png

(also, is there a better way to get my system specs at-a-glance to post here than just using the Battle.net thing?)

That 8800 GT is a major bottleneck for the rest of your system.

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 pop up the windows menu and use the search function for "dxdiag". Run that and it'll give you your info pretty well laid out.

Shambles

The Lamonster said:
hey GAF where is my bottleneck? I want to upgrade soon for Skyrim and finally be able to max StarCraft II and Crysis, but I don't know what needs an upgrade the most.

2dtmxdi.png

(also, is there a better way to get my system specs at-a-glance to post here than just using the Battle.net thing?)

Yeah definitely the GPU. I'd also buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock the CPU to 3.4-3.6Ghz and it will handle any modern GPU just fine.

knitoe said:
test2ec.jpg

Why does yours show 51GB vs 56GB total for mine? Maybe, secure erase and/or fresh install of Windows is in order.

His Vertex 2 probably has 25nm flash, which has 5GB less useable space (and yes, they still sell it as a 60GB SSD) that is being used as additional space for defective cells.

jiien

keeblerdrow said:
That 8800 GT is a major bottleneck for the rest of your system.

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 pop up the windows menu and use the search function for "dxdiag". Run that and it'll give you your info pretty well laid out.

And/or download and use Speccy.

jiien said:
And/or download and use Speccy.
Thanks, is the consensus that I should upgrade my video card? I wouldn't even know how to upgrade my GPU or even what the difference is between that and a CPU.

...but I could see myself upgrading the video card. I can really only do super basic stuff so far.

And are those temps okay?

2mzwj9e.png

Zzoram

ashbash159 said:
As I also have a Core 2 Quad CPU I would like to know what the people talking to RedSwirl are meaning.

For example if there were to be a Radeon 7850 or whatever and is even more powerful than these cards mentioned when it is released, will having a Quad CPU not be good enough for the GPU?

I'm no expert in PC hardware so if anyone could comment on this I would appreciate it.

Unlikely to be CPU-bound. Games primarily use GPU power, especially for turning all the effects to max and using 4xAA 32xAF.

mclaren777 said:
Why is your 8800GT so hot in that Speccy report, The Lamonster?
No idea...I didn't have any games running at the time.

Right now it's still at 70...could it just be old?

So how should I go about upgrading? I think I want to stick with nVidia. What is their new hotness these days and should I wait few months for something awesome that isn't released yet?

mclaren777 said:
Why is your 8800GT so hot in that Speccy report, The Lamonster?

8800/9800 GTs run notoriously hot. My brother has this card in his rig and it always runs hot. A while ago the fans sounded like jet engines so I took a peak inside and the entire cards fins and fans were caked in dust. Cleaned it out and now it runs way cooler and quieter. Give that a look as well.

The Lamonster said:

So how should I go about upgrading? I think I want to stick with nVidia. What is their new hotness these days and should I wait few months for something awesome that isn't released yet?

before I sold my 8800 the thing was idling at 70C ALLLL the time.

The Lamonster said:

Nvidia and AMD won't have have anything better than their current crop of GPUs until the next round arrives around Q4. If you're buying now and want Nvidia, you want a $250 GTX 560, or sub-$200 GTX 460. Swap cards and get the latest GeForce drivers.

Temp wise: HDD looks great, CPU is ok, GPU is very high (though not out of the norm for that model).

The_Inquisitor said:
So the consensus is that my next upgrade should be an addition gtx 460 and a CPU cooler?
Definitely get a cooler. Are you having performance issues at the resolution/settings you play at? You may want to skip SLI and wait until the Radeon 7000s and GTX 600s get released, if not later, for an upgrade.

InertiaXr

MikeE21286 said:
before I sold my 8800 the thing was idling at 70C ALLLL the time.

Just shows how great vid cards are nowadays. $200 460 I can max everything at 1680x1050 locked 60fps, and it never gets over 55c under full load. Seems like with this console cycle being so long compared to previous ones that GPUs are now more about value than sheer power.

·feist· said:
Nvidia and AMD won't have have anything better than their current crop of GPUs until the next round arrives around Q4. If you're buying now and want Nvidia, you want a $250 GTX 560, or sub-$200 GTX 460. Swap cards and get the latest GeForce drivers.

Temp wise: HDD looks great, CPU is ok, GPU is very high (though not out of the norm for that model).

Definitely get a cooler. Are you having performance issues at the resolution/settings you play at? You may want to skip SLI and wait until the Radeon 7000s and GTX 600s get released, if not later, for an upgrade.

It irks me that I can't play on "very high" on Metro 2033. My current monitor rez is 1680x1050. HOWEVER, my monitor is almost 4 years old. I should be upgrading to a 1920x1080 monitor later this year too. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

How much do you think I could OC my CPU to using a custom cooler? I get 2.9Ghz right now w/ the stock cooler.

antonz

That 8800 is running awfully hot. The one running in my backup system idles at 49 or so though it is an MSI that came with better than stock fan

TheExodu5

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
It irks me that I can't play on "very high" on Metro 2033. My current monitor rez is 1680x1050. HOWEVER, my monitor is almost 4 years old. I should be upgrading to a 1920x1080 monitor later this year too. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

How much do you think I could OC my CPU to using a custom cooler? I get 2.9Ghz right now w/ the stock cooler.

SLI GTX 460 is still going to struggle with Metro on Very High.

My SLI GTX 570 manages 25-50fps on Very High. When I actually go to play through it, I'll probably settle with High, since it looks very close.

TheExodu5 said:
SLI GTX 460 is still going to struggle with Metro on Very High.

My SLI GTX 570 manages 25-50fps on Very High. When I actually go to play through it, I'll probably settle with High, since it looks very close.

So the idea is maybe just go for the CPU cooler and see what NVIDIA has down the pipeline in a few months?

The_Inquisitor said:
So the idea is maybe just go for the CPU cooler and see what NVIDIA has down the pipeline in a few months?
That's what I was getting at earlier, particularly if you're only really having issues with the same 1-3 games that most users struggle with.

·feist· said:
That's what I was getting at earlier, particularly if you're only really having issues with the same 1-3 games that most users struggle with.

Yeah, I mean man does it kick ass on everything else. My concern is when I finally make the upgrade from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080.

Any monitor recommendations for purchase in 4-6 months? I'm looking for some good monitors to "monitor" price wise. No rush though since my monitor is still working quite well. It's just an old Dell TN monitor, and I am ready for an upgrade, especially with my increase in photo editing.

Kalnos

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Yeah, I mean man does it kick ass on everything else. My concern is when I finally make the upgrade from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080.

Any monitor recommendations for purchase in 4-6 months? I'm looking for some good monitors to "monitor" price wise. No rush though since my monitor is still working quite well. It's just an old Dell TN monitor, and I am ready for an upgrade, especially with my increase in photo editing.

Dell U2311 may be one to follow if photo editing is a concern of yours. It's an affordable IPS monitor (1920x1080) and the quality is superb.

-viper-

Banned
Enemy Of Fate said:

Can I claim the VAT back if I'm from England? :p

Kalnos said:
Dell U2311 may be one to follow if photo editing is a concern of yours. It's an affordable IPS monitor (1920x1080) and the quality is superb.

Perfect! Was looking for a IPS monitor actually. Yes photo editing is becoming EXTREMELY important to me. Damn, it's only 279 right now. Not bad.

Any other IPS monitors to consider?

scorcho said:
let the Win7 installation routine destroy and create a new partition for you. it could be the case that your partition isn't aligned, which has an effect on your drive's performance.
I deleted the old partition, and installed the OS again.

The results:
2ik4cuu.png

Not that much of an improvement.

knitoe

The_Inquisitor said:
Perfect! Was looking for a IPS monitor actually. Yes photo editing is becoming EXTREMELY important to me. Damn, it's only 279 right now. Not bad.

Any other IPS monitors to consider?
Dell's prices change all the time. A month ago, it was $200 (wish I got one), and before last week, had a promo code that making it $250. With Dell, you also might need to add tax.

A week ago, I bought a Nec 23" IPS monitor from Buy.com through 3rd vendor for $175, but unfortunately, they sold too many, and now, I am waiting for next shipment sometime this week.

knitoe

The Big Rig said:
I deleted the old partition, and installed the OS again.

The results:
2ik4cuu.png

Not that much of an improvement.
Scores look terrible. I notice you are using an old version of AS SSD. Try new version. Also, what do you get for ATTO Disk Benchmark? Did you try the Secure Erase before installing fresh version of Windows? Did you install Intel's Rapid Storage drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom