• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpbaa

Curufinwe said:
I think one of these MSI GTX460 cards would be good, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

The Twin Frozr II SOC has no reviews below 4 stars and is only $150 ($130 after rebate), but it's only 768 MB and it's almost 10 inches long.

The CYCLONE 1GD5/OC is $200 (180 after rebate) and is only 8 inches long, but there's 20 bad reviews for it on Newegg.

I have the "hawk talon" MSI card and even with it's significant overclock, the Twin Frozr II keeps it cooler than any other video card I've had. They also have higher quality components than most 460's.

LegoDad

knitoe said:
Scores look terrible. I notice you are using an old version of AS SSD. Try new version. Also, what do you get for ATTO Disk Benchmark? Did you try the Secure Erase before installing fresh version of Windows? Did you install Intel's Rapid Storage drivers?

he's using MSACHI, the intel drivers won't help. He would need to plug it into the intel SATA port.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just put in my BIOSTAR MB and put in the CPU without heatsink and fan. Put an old PCI card, ge force FX 5200 that seems to be dead. I probably shouldn't put in the CPU without a fan and heatsink no? It got hot but not something I haven't felt before. I was hoping to test the MB out today too damnit.

It is ok to run the CPU without a heatsink for short periods of time no? I had it on for like 20 seconds a few times. The lights on the motherboard came on and everything but no video due to shit card. I'm so anxious to see if the thing works. I put in the RAM though. Not really worried about that.

RedSwirl

The Lamonster said:
hey GAF where is my bottleneck? I want to upgrade soon for Skyrim and finally be able to max StarCraft II and Crysis, but I don't know what needs an upgrade the most.

2dtmxdi.png

(also, is there a better way to get my system specs at-a-glance to post here than just using the Battle.net thing?)

Waitaminute. I have almost exactly the same system as this (but less RAM), and my computer ALWAYS sounds like a jet engine whenever I'm playing any game. Should I do a temp check on it too?

Also, are any of the previous cards I listed better than the 6850?

GTX 560 Ti
Radeon 5870
Radeon 6870
Radeon 5850

The numbers all look lower so I wouldn't imagine so. Still, last time I tried to measure the inside of my system, there were areas that varied and I didn't quite know which numbers to put down. By what boundaries do you exactly measure?

TheExodu5

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Also, are any of the previous cards I listed better than the 6850?

GTX 560 Ti
Radeon 5870
Radeon 6870
Radeon 5850

The numbers all look lower so I wouldn't imagine so. Still, last time I tried to measure the inside of my system, there were areas that varied and I didn't quite know which numbers to put down. By what boundaries do you exactly measure?

All of those are better, and in the order you posted.

Also, 8800GT is a single slot cooler, hence it sounding like a jet engine. It's a hot card because the cooler on it sucks.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I just put in my BIOSTAR MB and put in the CPU without heatsink and fan. Put an old PCI card, ge force FX 5200 that seems to be dead. I probably shouldn't put in the CPU without a fan and heatsink no? It got hot but not something I haven't felt before. I was hoping to test the MB out today too damnit.

It is ok to run the CPU without a heatsink for short periods of time no? I had it on for like 20 seconds a few times. The lights on the motherboard came on and everything but no video due to shit card. I'm so anxious to see if the thing works. I put in the RAM though. Not really worried about that.

That's no big deal. When I was using my old old case, a now-retired Antec SX-1030B, I would have to remove the CPU fan in order to slide the hard drive cages in and out. Later on they invented 90-degrees rotated drive cages you slide straight out towards you instead of back and forth. Anyways, I would often leave the damn CPU fan off when I was just tinkering around and turn the thing on for a few seconds to listen for POST beep, then I would shut it off again. In something like 7 years of fucking around inside of computers, nothing has ever become of it.

LiquidMetal14

To follow up, I put in the CPU in my new MB without thinking and I had it on for 20 seconds about 3 times. I don't know why I did it but I was mere testing the MB to see if it output video via my dead PCI card. Needless to say it got warm. I just want to know if that was ok and to always avoid doing that even for short periods right? Humble me :p

In unrelated news, Plextor just announced their new M2 line of SATA-III SSDs. The cost will be $180 for 64GB, $330 for 128GB, and a fucking ridiculous $700 for 256GB.

It won't be 'SSDs for Everyone in 2011' unless the SSD manufacturers actually consider sane pricing levels. There was a 2TB HDD at Newegg today as a Shell Shocker special deal which was $60 after MIR. The difference between 2TB for $60 and 256GB for $700 is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

RedSwirl

TheExodu5 said:
All of those are better, and in the order you posted.

Also, 8800GT is a single slot cooler, hence it sounding like a jet engine. It's a hot card because the cooler on it sucks.

And all of them look more expensive, whereas every 6850 I see on Newegg is sub-$200. That's except for this one 5850 I see. How do you tell by the numbers?

Anyway, I'm no wizard with a digital camera so these pictures are absolute crap, but this is what the space around my GPU looks like right now:

10qhqc7.jpg

2434v2q.jpg

LiquidMetal14

Unknown Soldier said:
That's no big deal. When I was using my old old case, a now-retired Antec SX-1030B, I would have to remove the CPU fan in order to slide the hard drive cages in and out. Later on they invented 90-degrees rotated drive cages you slide straight out towards you instead of back and forth. Anyways, I would often leave the damn CPU fan off when I was just tinkering around and turn the thing on for a few seconds to listen for POST beep, then I would shut it off again. In something like 7 years of fucking around inside of computers, nothing has ever become of it.
In my case, I just put it in thinking I could see it when the monitor posted. This beep you're refering to, is that if you have the audio cable plugged into the board? In the BIOSTAR board I just for a bunch of red indicator lights on the board itself were working and moving around. I'm just more concered because I put the CPU with no fan and heatsink for a short period of time. I thought I read that the CPU's have killswitch.

TheExodu5

Banned
RedSwirl said:
And all of them look more expensive, whereas every 6850 I see on Newegg is sub-$200. That's except for this one 5850 I see. How do you tell by the numbers?

Well normally the first number represents the series, and the second number represents its position in its series. Now, AMD screwed things up with the latest series and made the high end cards x9xx, instead of x8xx like the last series. 5850/5870 were the high end cards last series, and 6950/6970 are the high end cards this series.

Best way to find out their performance: reviews.

Here's a chart that will give you a decent idea @ 1080p:

perfrel_1920.gif

comrade

Here's the overclocks I got tonight:

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz 1.34v
GPU: XFX 6950 @ 1000MHz / 1450 MHz 1.3v

Click for full-size.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
comrade said:

Click for full-size.

did you benchmark before/after? I have the same setup but haven't overclocked yet. But if you're getting significantly better results in some games I might be tempted to have a go. Was overclocking the 6950 difficult? Unlocked the shaders to 6970 too?

knitoe

comrade said:

1.352V (CPU-Z) is kinda high for for only 4.5GHz. You should be able to get it a little bit lower.

Gloomfire said:
Quick question: what should my power supply fan be spinning at? Because mine is NOT spinning. At all.

What PSU have you got? Some PSUs like the seasonix x series and corsair ax series won't turn on their fan below a certain load. I've never heard the fan on my X-650.

Xapati

So I'm thinking of building my own PC, but unfortunately I'm a total noob at this. I put together a list of components I think would make a good mid range gaming pc, but I'm open to suggestions (like I said, utter noob here). And I have a few questions:

In the 40min vid linked to in the OP they mention that the Intel processors come with a fan and that you do not need thermal paste. Is this the case with the AMD processors as well?

How do you decide on cooling, the Asgard II, the case I picked, comes with one fan, but how do I know if that's enough or if I need more? I will not be overclocking

How do you decide on power, it seems very few components seem to list the amount of power they use.

Since I need to install a WLAN card, will the antenna's on the card cause an issue with space?

Looking at the specs of the Motherboard it says 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 (CrossFireX x16/x4), 2x PCI-E x1, 3x PCI", What is the difference between these 3 different kinds of PCI slots?

Should I get a AMD Phenom II X4 instead of the Athlong it's about 65$ more, how much difference will this make?

The_Inquisitor said:
So the consensus is that my next upgrade should be an addition gtx 460 and a CPU cooler?

I'm not a huge supporter of SLI/Crossfire due to the problems it gets you, so imo get a CPU cooler (if you actually want to OC) + perhaps an SSD. And if you REALLY want to have more graphics power it might actually be better to get a GTX560 Ti and sell the 460, than getting a second 460. Benchmarks will show you bigger numbers with the SLI460, but due to microstuttering this might not get you anywhere. + OCing a single GTX560 will grant you better results than OCing a GTX460 SLI + you'll save tons of energy + your system will be much more quiet.

Red

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Asus Ares cards. Am I insane? I may settle for just one.

I think I'm pushing the limits of my psu at this point, so I may have to upgrade if I switch cards. Running a 5870 right now. 850 watt psu, with an OCed i7, 12 GB RAM, 2 7200 rpm 1 TB drives, 1 7200 2 TB drive, one SSD, and about 13 fans all in all. Don't want to get a new card only to have it blow my power.

Does anyone know if the Ares is compatible with OS X?

TheKurgan

comrade said:

Click for full-size.

Nice 3DMark score. I have the same setup but a low 5,000 score. What are you using to overclock you XFX 6950? I have unlocked the shaders but nothing else...

LiquidMetal14

MOTHERBOARD QUESTION

I got a BIOSTAR MB. I read online that no beeps means a good post? I see all the indicator lights on but have no video card in since it's in route and set to be here tomorrow.

I also screwed in a few screws since I didn't want the MB to move around while testing. That's not a bad idea is it? I'm waiting on the COOLERMASTER heatsink/fan to show up tomorrow but am I to assume I have a good MB by the indicator lights lighting up?

·feist· said:
Nvidia and AMD won't have have anything better than their current crop of GPUs until the next round arrives around Q4. If you're buying now and want Nvidia, you want a $250 GTX 560, or sub-$200 GTX 460. Swap cards and get the latest GeForce drivers.
Are you talking about the GTX 600 series? I just want to know what to keep my eye out for.

mclaren777

New PC: has SSD boot drive and HDD data drive
Old PC: has HDD for everything and it's old school IDE

I have a IDE/SATA adapter and I'm planning to transport my old HDD to the new computer as an additional data drive.

Actual question: will I need to do anything more than remove the Master jumper from the IDE drive and plug it into the adapter?

Wazzim

Banned
Just mailed the site I ordered my 2500k, and they expect the next shipment on 25-02-11. Please, Intel god, I beg you to ship earlier.
Are there really enough i5s in canada&US? Does Intel usually screw the EU over like that?

Wazzim said:
Just mailed the site I ordered my 2500k, and they expect the next shipment on 25-02-11. Please, Intel god, I beg you to ship earlier.
Are there really enough i5s in canada&US? Does Intel usually screw the EU over like that?

NCIX in Canada says they currently have them in stock. I should mail to confirm that they do though. I ordered my custom build on the third. Still in order processing.

Quake1028

Cosmic Schwung said:
What PSU have you got? Some PSUs like the seasonix x series and corsair ax series won't turn on their fan below a certain load. I've never heard the fan on my X-650.

Corsair 650-TX

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just waiting for my Desktop Memory to arrive (literally any minute now) and I'll have everything. I was considering assembling it myself, I did the research and it may have been possible, but I decided to have a professional do it for me. I've already spent so much, it can't hurt to spend a little extra to ensure that I don't destroy any parts or whatever.

By this time tomorrow, I'll have a fully functional gaming PC. Fuck yes, can't believe it's finally here.

knitoe

Gloomfire said:
Corsair 650-TX
Fans should be variable speed base on load / heat. Try stress testing it by running a cpu & gpu intensive game. If fan still doesn't run or spin fast, probably fan or fan control are broken.

Zzoram

Curufinwe said:
Keeping in mind that my current desktop PC is a E6420, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP machine and my monitor is 1440 x 900, which of these two video cards do you guys think make the most sense as a replacement for a broken 8800 GTS?

EVGA GeForce GTS450 FPB 1 GB GDDR5 - $120 with a $25 rebate
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041RRNBM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MSI N460GTX Cyclone768D5/OC - $160 with a $20 rebate
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V8B4QM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The 460. The 450 isn't much faster than an 8800GTS iirc, and might even be slower.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Xapati said:
How do you decide on cooling, the Asgard II, the case I picked, comes with one fan, but how do I know if that's enough or if I need more? I will not be overclocking
Depends on your ambient temps and prefences when it comes to noise level. I used the same case for my recent build and I kept the included stock fan as rear exhaust but added another 120mm fan for front intake. I've found it to be quiet enough and sufficient for modest overclocking. The case also has a spot to mount a 3rd fan over the CPU.

How do you decide on power, it seems very few components seem to list the amount of power they use.
500W should be enough for single modern GPU builds with no OCing, only have to go higher with Sli/crossfire or lots of OCing and extra parts. I would not get any of Corsair's Cx series, go AX/TX/HX or a diff brand like Seasonic.

Since I need to install a WLAN card, will the antenna's on the card cause an issue with space?
The antennas screw off and on, so there's no issue with installation.

I know nothing about AMD stuff for the most part... Hopefully someone else can answer your mobo/CPU questions.

The Lamonster said:
Are you talking about the GTX 600 series? I just want to know what to keep my eye out for.
Yeah.
AMD and Nvidia's next round of cards will be a considerably larger performance increase than what we saw between the HD5000/GTX 400 and HD6000/GTX 500.

Crunched said:
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Asus Ares cards. Am I insane? I may settle for just one.

I think I'm pushing the limits of my psu at this point, so I may have to upgrade if I switch cards. Running a 5870 right now. 850 watt psu, with an OCed i7, 12 GB RAM, 2 7200 rpm 1 TB drives, 1 7200 2 TB drive, one SSD, and about 13 fans all in all. Don't want to get a new card only to have it blow my power.

Does anyone know if the Ares is compatible with OS X?
For list price? NO. They're a waste of money. If you're intent upon going with xfire, you'd be far better off spending your money on 6870 x2, 5870 x2, 6900 x2, or even a 5970. Whether or not a 6990 is consider a good purchase depends on the MSRP, and the fact that it will be eclipsed by its 7000-series replacement in a year or less.

Xapati said:
So I'm thinking of building my own PC, but unfortunately I'm a total noob at this. I put together a list of components I think would make a good mid range gaming pc, but I'm open to suggestions (like I said, utter noob here). And I have a few questions:

In the 40min vid linked to in the OP they mention that the Intel processors come with a fan and that you do not need thermal paste. Is this the case with the AMD processors as well?

Looking at the specs of the Motherboard it says 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 (CrossFireX x16/x4), 2x PCI-E x1, 3x PCI", What is the difference between these 3 different kinds of PCI slots?

Should I get a AMD Phenom II X4 instead of the Athlong it's about 65$ more, how much difference will this make?
Two things you really shouldn't be buying at the moment are a higher-priced Phenom II X4, or an HD 5770. 5770 pricing is generally on par with a 768MB GTX 460 (with the 460 often costing less), and once you go above the ~$100 mark that the Athlon IIs and Phenom II X4 840 come in at, AMD quads become an increasingly poor purchase. Even with recent price drops, PII X6s are not exactly a better choice or value proposition over an i5 2500K/i7 2600K.

For a low-cost gaming build, a ~$100 AMD quad combined with a $90-150 GTX 460 786MB (or, for a bit more money, a 1GB 460 or 6850) is your best bet. Beyond that level of CPU pricing, you're better off with a i5 2500K/i7 2600K (mainly the former), or waiting for AM3+/Bulldozer.

A good 500w power supply will run any standard single-chip GPU + quad-core CPU build you put together. Above that, more wattage is mostly for more headroom and less PSU stress. It also makes it easier to add more power-sapping components in the future.

With a standard ATX tower case, you generally want to have at least one active intake and one active exhaust. Passive can work, but having a fan in each position makes a world of difference.

Most boxed AMD and Intel CPUs come with a cooler that has thermal material already applied to it.

Multi-tasking got the better of me. Looks like ExMachina replied with almost the exact same comments.

Zzoram

Curufinwe said:
Won't the 460 be bottlenecked by my processor?
Maybe. Something has to be a bottleneck, it's better for it to be a CPU than a gpu since extra gpu power can always go to Vsync and AA and all effects maxed while extra CPU power is just waste.

Xapati

@Exmachina & feist thanks for the input!

I've made some changes to the list

I've replaced the Power Supply with a Seasonic. However it's still a 430W power supply, you mentioned 500?

Also how is the GTX 460 better than the HD 5770?

InertiaXr

Does anybody know how shit the Saints Row 2 PC port is? I loved it on ps3 and would love to replay on PC now that I have a 2500k and 1gb 460. Is that enough to play at 1680x1050 at acceptable framerate? I heard the port was exceptionally poor.

Om3ga

I have an i7 970 that i got from the Intel RetailEdge thing during the holidays. I haven't even looked at much for it yet, and decided to get more expert opinion on it instead of just buying random parts like I did for my last build.

What I wanted were 2 or more possible configurations to go with. I wanted a budget friendly build and an optimal/not so budget friendly build. I'd really appreciate it. What I need help with is Cases with good room, a motherboard and ram with decent OCing ablities (if I ever decide I want to). Recommended power supply, a quiet but good cooler and anything else you could recommend.

I also noticed the Sabretooth was on sale this week at Newegg.ca for 199.99(don't know if thats a good deal) should I go with that board or should I go with something better or cheaper?

Also I'm looking for a good quiet and affordable aftermarket cooler for my e8400 as the stock fan on this one is dying. I'm using an Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard and an Antec Sonata 3 case if that helps. Planning on giving this pc to my mom after I build the new one so it really needs to be quiet.

comrade

knitoe said:
1.352V (CPU-Z) is kinda high for for only 4.5GHz. You should be able to get it a little bit lower.
Reason for the voltage was from my prime95 benching. It was the lowest voltage I could get my system stable at. I've read people going as high as 1.375v to get it stable. I'm water-cooled so my temps are nice.

To the other questions: yes I have shaders unlocked and I used a mixture of trixx and afterburner to overclock. AB to set voltage and trixx to set clocks. Once set I only use afterburner. Overclocking was extremely easy. Prime95 for CPU and Furmark for GPU.

knitoe

comrade said:
Reason for the voltage was from my prime95 benching. It was the lowest voltage I could get my system stable at. I've read people going as high as 1.375v to get it stable. I'm water-cooled so my temps are nice.

To the other questions: yes I have shaders unlocked and I used a mixture of trixx and afterburner to overclock. AB to set voltage and trixx to set clocks. Once set I only use afterburner. Overclocking was extremely easy. Prime95 for CPU and Furmark for GPU.
Guess, I must have a really great chip, 4.5Ghz@1.27V or 4.8GHz@1.36V.

And, what program did you use to overclock the 6950? I could only get max 950 core / 1450 memory with AMD Overdrive or MSI Afterburner.

Kenka

Xapati said:

I've replaced the Power Supply with a Seasonic. However it's still a 430W power supply, you mentioned 500?

The GTX 460 768 MB is actually on par with the HD 5770 in this chart.

Other considerations include noise, size and OCing potential. Given the fact that GAFfers have oriented you towards a GTX 460, it may mean that they had these comparisions in mind already.

edit : wtf ? I just checked the website again and though they sell 2500k processors, they do not sell motherboards with LGA 1155 sockets ?

comrade

knitoe said:
Guess, I must have a really great chip, 4.5Ghz@1.27V or 4.8GHz@1.36V.

And, what program did you use to overclock the 6950? I could only get max 950 core / 1450 memory with AMD Overdrive or MSI Afterburner.
My computer instantly BSODs at 1.27v. Regardless of voltage I can't get past 4.7GHz. You must have gotten your chip from a great batch.
I use Sapphire TriXX to set my clocks and the new MSI Afterburner beta to set voltage.

Negator

So, if I were to purchase a SSD with my new computer (namely the OCZ Vertex 2), I would follow this set of instructions to ensure optimal performance?

1) Purchase motherboard that supports Sata II (So any modern motherboard.)
2) Before installing any software or secondary drives, only have SSD installed with Optical drive.
3) Set the SSD drive to AHCI in the BIOS.
4) Install latest firmware for SSD and motherboard from optical drive.
5) Install Windows.

Am I missing anything?

RedSwirl

It's looking more and more like the 460 is the best choice for my money, but will it be enough if I ever upgrade to a 1080p monitor?

Also, people are saying that it will likely be a tight fit inside my current case. What would I do about that for ventilation?

MisterNoisy

RedSwirl said:
It's looking more and more like the 460 is the best choice for my money, but will it be enough if I ever upgrade to a 1080p monitor?

Also, people are saying that it will likely be a tight fit inside my current case. What would I do about that for ventilation?

I've got a 460 driving my TV (1080p) and it plays everything quite well. As far as heat/fitment, the 460 generally runs pretty cool, and is about as short a card as I've seen in some time (8.5" give or take), though it is a 2-slot card. If you're really worried about that, you might want to look at the cards with reference-style coolers that blow most of the exhaust outside the case.

Shambles

Kenka said:

Other considerations include noise, size and OCing potential. Given the fact that GAFfers have oriented you towards a GTX 460, it may mean that they had these comparisions in mind already.

Techpowerup puts the GTX 460 768 at 17% faster than the 5770 at stock speeds. The 1GB model is put at 25% faster than the 5770. I would also say the GTX 460 has better overclocking potential.

Red

·feist· said:
For list price? NO. They're a waste of money. If you're intent upon going with xfire, you'd be far better off spending your money on 6870 x2, 5870 x2, 6900 x2, or even a 5970. Whether or not a 6990 is consider a good purchase depends on the MSRP, and the fact that it will be eclipsed by its 7000-series replacement in a year or less.
I was looking at the open box price on newegg. Was $750. Can't find it anymore. I figure the price would be worth it, since essentially they'd amount to 4 5870s.

My 5870's 1GB VRam is giving me headaches in a few games now. It's still mostly okay, but I want some extra juice.

mclaren777

I got my old IDE HDD installed and it's almost comical how much slower/louder it is compared to my Spinpoint F3.

I also decided to switch my primary SDD/HDD over to SATA3 while my case was open. No noticeable speed improvement but it's nice to see that everything plays well together.

xFTFb.png

Xapati said:

As has been mentioned, the 460 is a faster card in stock form and, especially, when both are overclocked.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/6
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_1_GB/31.html

Kenka said:

edit : wtf ? I just checked the website again and though they sell 2500k processors, they do not sell motherboards with LGA 1155 sockets ?
Did you miss all the Sandy Bridge motherboard design flaw hijinks? Sales of boards, desktops and laptops were halted and merchandise was sent back. Intel has since changed their stance, resuming certain shipments ahead of the actual release of revised products.

Crunched said:
I was looking at the open box price on newegg. Was $750. Can't find it anymore. I figure the price would be worth it, since essentially they'd amount to 4 5870s.

My 5870's 1GB VRam is giving me headaches in a few games now. It's still mostly okay, but I want some extra juice.
Unfortunately, 2+2≠4 in this case. With your 5870s you have slightly less than 1GB. The same applies to a 2GB dual-chip or dual-card solution.

If you can soldier on for a few more months, the GTX 670/680 and 7800/7900 should provide that extra memory you need along with a healthy boost in processing. Otherwise, you can try your hand at unlocking two 2GB 6850s.

Either route would be better than going with an Ares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom