• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocK`

Banned
*sigh* e-cost backordered my P8P67, now I'm left with an i7 2600k with no motherboard. I guess it's time to give up and sell the i7 :\

ZZMitch

Well this isn't good. This indicate a graphics card issue?

Blops.png

Edit- Something I noticed when i got a black screen while loading a map. (Look like 1/3 in)
MSIAfterburnerCrash-1-1.png

Quake1028

mclaren777 said:
Do you know why it was beeping? Perhaps you forgot to connect the PCI power cables?
No, its a problem with the card. Someone on newegg had the exact problem. Everything is hooked up correctly. Hopefully the new one will have zero issues.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm thinking about building an HTPC. I'll most likely be using XBMC if there isn't a better solution. If you were to give an unbiased answer, which graphics card maker makes a better card to be used in a HTPC that would give the best picture quality and 7.1 audio output quality using XBMC?

Nvidia or ATI?

I was contemplating waiting for the new Apple TV. If the Apple TV 2 was able to have 1080p flawless output, 2.1+ audio ouput, and a skinnable XBMC interface that runs smooth, then it might be the best deal for the money but who knows if that is going to happen.

I have been thinking about doing a PC "refresh". Buying a Qmicra mATX case and transfering/upgrading a few parts from my current SFF PC. I planned to buy another 4890 and then crossfire them but I don't see that newegg carries 4890's anymore? Did I miss out on something where they got completely fazed out and not carried by any mainstream outlets?? It doesn't seem like that old of a card...

MWS Natural said:
I have been thinking about doing a PC "refresh". Buying a Qmicra mATX case and transfering/upgrading a few parts from my current SFF PC. I planned to buy another 4890 and then crossfire them but I don't see that newegg carries 4890's anymore? Did I miss out on something where they got completely fazed out and not carried by any mainstream outlets?? It doesn't seem like that old of a card...

The newer AMD cards are two generations past that, so it's not that surprising. Why don't you just upgrade to a 6950?

n0n44m

So I'm thinking about building an HTPC. I'll most likely be using XBMC if there isn't a better solution. If you were to give an unbiased answer, which graphics card maker makes a better card to be used in a HTPC that would give the best picture quality and 7.1 audio output quality using XBMC?
XBMC Linux: nvidia for sure, not even sure ATI/AMD is supported

XBMC Windows 7: either should work as it uses DXVA2

Azwethinkweiz said:
The newer AMD cards are two generations past that, so it's not that surprising. Why don't you just upgrade to a 6950?
I assumed 4890's would be cheap now and I could upgrade for like $100 bucks or something lol.

LaserBuddha said:
Looking for some quick buying advice. I found this posting for an XFX 5970 on craiglist. Here are my specs from earlier:

I have a new Studio XPS desktop that is only a few months old. It has:

-Proprietary mini-ATX motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X6 1075T (3.0GHz)
-ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
-8GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHz, 4x2GB
-Some no-name 450w power supply

I was also thinking of grabbing the PSU as well since, even though my 5770 lists the same 500w requirement, I feel like I'm walking a thin line with 450w.

So aside from whether or not I get the PSU, does this seem like a good idea? If so, should I try to negotiate the price down?

Bumpin'

Ecto311

Got a p8p67 LE and it worked fine till I swapped out the older power supply for a new one. This antec true power 550 lights up the motherboard LED but the case power switch does nothing. I even unplugged the switch at the motherboard and jumped the power - nothing happens.

I don't imagine the setup means much considering it is a power issue. It is plugged in and the switch is on the line. Just double checked that one. With the motherboard light on near the bottom of the board but nothing else even tries to start, I am lost.

Thanks for any clues.

Any ideas?

The setup:

i5 2400
p8p67 LE
galaxy gtx460
4gig crucial ram
1tb seagate

MWS Natural said:
I assumed 4890's would be cheap now and I could upgrade for like $100 bucks or something lol.

Try ebay or amazon.

Ecto311 said:
Got a p8p67 LE and it worked fine till I swapped out the older power supply for a new one. This antec true power 550 lights up the motherboard LED but the case power switch does nothing. I even unplugged the switch at the motherboard and jumped the power - nothing happens.

I don't imagine the setup means much considering it is a power issue. It is plugged in and the switch is on the line. Just double checked that one. With the motherboard light on near the bottom of the board but nothing else even tries to start, I am lost.

Thanks for any clues.

Any ideas?

The setup:

i5 2400
p8p67 LE
galaxy gtx460
4gig crucial ram
1tb seagate

Have you confirmed the old PSU still works? If it doesn't then you may have shorted something in the MB, otherwise its probably a bad PSU.

Ecto311

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Have you confirmed the old PSU still works? If it doesn't then you may have shorted something in the MB, otherwise its probably a bad PSU.

I did plug in my old power supply - it does the same thing the light comes on the motherboard but the power switch does nothing.

Blackheim

Ecto311 said:
I did plug in my old power supply - it does the same thing the light comes on the motherboard but the power switch does nothing.

I don't know if you had the same thing happen but, that kind of sounds like what happened to my old ASUS M4A790 Deluxe. Was caused by a power surge and the mobo crapped out on me. Had to buy a new one...

Shambles

Currently I have an Antec EA-650 from Amazon for 40$ waiting to be sent. However I see the TP-650 (New version) on sale locally for 80$-30MIR. Looking around it seems like Antec MIR are reliable and it has me considering cancelling my amazon order to go with the TP instead. The TP-750 News have reviewed very well but there aren't very good ones for the 650W unit. The TP also has a 2nd pair of PCIE modular cables that will let me SLI/CrossfireX without having to use molex adapters. Yay or nay on jumping on the TP-650 instead for 10$ more (Assuming the MIR shows up) neogaf? Has anyone else had to solve the EA-650 vs TP-650 conundrum as well?

Dr.Acula

Banned
ZZMitch said:
I think I may have narrowed down my issue a bit.

On someones advice I uninstalled Punkbuster (fucking horrible program btw) and started playing Minecraft. An hour or so in my screen went black and I thought my computer was gunna go down again but instead the screen came back and I saw one of those"Driver kernal 266.58 has failed and recovered errors." Something to that effect.

Eventually my computer stopped freaking out and I decided to take a look at Java. When ever I clicked anything using Java (albeit the Java control panel or Minecraft) my computer would freak out at that very second. What i mean by this is the screen would go black (I could still move the cursor a bit though), then it would come back, but the program opened and the bottom bar on Windows 7 would be black. After a minute or so of this off and on my computer would be fine.

I did this five or so times. I just uninstalled Java and am gunna see if I get anything like that happening without Java even being installed.

edit- Bleh, got similar issues while playing Black Ops (althought it wasn't as long and was fine after a few seconds). Although I did notice some graphical artifacting, which makes me think my 460 is at fault (which i already replaced once! :/)

I had that error. If it's a gigabyte, try flashing it with this:
Please attempt to update with the latest bios attached for further testing. Please use the utility to updating that you can download off our website below.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/vga_utility_atbios.exe

ATTACHED: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/986237/n460ocgi.f4_a

ZZMitch

Dr.Acula said:
I had that error. If it's a gigabyte, try flashing it with this:

It is a Gigabyte I will do that ... I just moved my graphics card to the 2nd PCI slot though and don't seem to having issues. Is the 2nd PCI slot slower in anyway in general?

And where did you find that like do you have a site link? I am just wondering.

Kenka

Naked Snake said:
What is the smallest form factor case that can house an Intel LGA 1155 H67 MB (or MSI equivalent, if it makes any difference)?

Lol, your post # made me automatically think about the HD 5870 :lol

Shambles said:
Currently I have an Antec EA-650 from Amazon for 40$ waiting to be sent. However I see the TP-650 (New version) on sale locally for 80$-30MIR. Looking around it seems like Antec MIR are reliable and it has me considering cancelling my amazon order to go with the TP instead. The TP-750 News have reviewed very well but there aren't very good ones for the 650W unit. The TP also has a 2nd pair of PCIE modular cables that will let me SLI/CrossfireX without having to use molex adapters. Yay or nay on jumping on the TP-650 instead for 10$ more (Assuming the MIR shows up) neogaf? Has anyone else had to solve the EA-650 vs TP-650 conundrum as well?
Despite the EA-650's bronze-rating, I'd go for the TP New 650, in part because the TP-650 is a SeaSonic (with the EA-650 being Delta-built). Not that SS is infallible or anything, but their Antec units (just like the other companies they OEM for) seem to be of a higher quality and more reliable than many of the lower-spec models that Antec sell made by Delta and other OEMs.

The TP-650 also has ~54A against the EA-650's ~45A.

edit: I should clarify, the standard/old EA-650 is 80+ rated, while the newer EA-650 Green is actually 80 Bronze.

PhiLonius

Finished putting together my first PC earlier today based off that $600 build in the OP. Thanks Gaf.

Now to check out what Steam has to offer.

Shambles

·feist· said:
Despite the EA-650's bronze-rating, I'd go for the TP New 650, in part because the TP-650 is a SeaSonic (with the EA-650 being Delta-built). Not that SS is infallible or anything, but their Antec units (just like the other companies they OEM for) seem to be of a higher quality and more reliable than many of the lower-spec models that Antec sell made by Delta and other OEMs.

The TP-650 also has ~54A against the EA-650's ~45A.

edit: I should clarify, the standard/old EA-650 is 80+ rated, while the newer EA-650 Green is actually 80 Bronze.

I did not realize there was a worse newer revision. Amazons page does not list any details to indicate which model it is hence I've cancelled the order and will pick up the TP650. I feel it is also better suited for a 2 GPU system down the road compared to the EA650.

Dosia

Schmattakopf said:

I'm going to get a cooler when I have to replace the motherboard, and overclock then.

I got this case for my friend. It has got to be the loudest case I have ever heard.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dosia said:
I got this case for my friend. It has got to be the loudest case I have ever heard.

As with any case, it's all about how you control the fans. If you have the fans going at full blast, it will be loud. Have them hooked up to the motherboard with fan profile set to silent, or a fan controller, and you'll be good. It's a case that will provide quite a bit of airflow with minimal noise if configured correctly.

A friend of mine has an Antec P183 with the exhaust fan at max speed, and it sounds like 10x 360s duck taped together.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dosia said:

If you want quiet, and can spend money on a more expensive case the Antec 183 and 193 (193 has a 200mm side fan) keeps every promise about noise and vibration issues. Comes with all needed fans except for front fans. Bought two low speed fans for that and I don't hear a peep out of it. Also has awesome removable fan filters for the two front intake fans and the side fan to make cleaning easy and ensure no dust gets in. Has plenty of room for everything, just need to watch out for some of the very tall CPU coolers..

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LaserBuddha said:
The no-name is more worrisome than the wattage, since most PCs won't even use half of that. But a crummy PSU is always a liability, especially if there aren't enough amps on the 12v rail.

But in any case, a 5970 for under two benjis sounds like a good deal to me, if you don't mind dealing with the usual dual GPU issues.

Trojita said:

Nvidia or ATI?

I was contemplating waiting for the new Apple TV. If the Apple TV 2 was able to have 1080p flawless output, 2.1+ audio ouput, and a skinnable XBMC interface that runs smooth, then it might be the best deal for the money but who knows if that is going to happen.

I just bought a shuttle Atom/ION 2 mini nettop thingy for XBMC. I'm running windows 7 on it (had some wonkiness with xbmc live linux distro) and it runs 1080p x.264 mkvs flawlessly. It could use a bit more horsepower for fast forwarding and whatever, but that's nitpicking.

T'was $199, it's silent and has front USB for an IR remote. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
DrForester said:
If you want quiet, and can spend money on a more expensive case the Antec 183 and 193 (193 has a 200mm side fan) keeps every promise about noise and vibration issues. Comes with all needed fans except for front fans. Bought two low speed fans for that and I don't hear a peep out of it. Also has awesome removable fan filters for the two front intake fans and the side fan to make cleaning easy and ensure no dust gets in. Has plenty of room for everything, just need to watch out for some of the very tall CPU coolers..

Honestly, I'd go with a Fractal R3 over a P183 these days. The P183 is well built and quiet, but it's stuck in the past with no decent cable management, no CPU cutout, no HDD trays, no PSU intake, among other things.

It was a great case a few years ago, but cases have come a long way since.

Arsenic

Grimm Fandango said:
Stupid quick question.

The "U" shaped slots inside a computer case, around the edges, are used for wrapping long wires around, yes?
The ones that look they've been stamped out? then, yes

I switched my sata port because of the p67 problems. went to load my windows disc now I get a check sum error Disconnected my other sata drives too. Just got my disc and sata connected to the good ports. Sorry for any errors in the typing, using my phone atm.

SapientWolf said:
The no-name is more worrisome than the wattage, since most PCs won't even use half of that. But a crummy PSU is always a liability, especially if there aren't enough amps on the 12v rail.

But in any case, a 5970 for under two benjis sounds like a good deal to me, if you don't mind dealing with the usual dual GPU issues.

Oops! Finally get a reply and then realized my big typo! It's actually a 5870.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TheExodu5 said:
Honestly, I'd go with a Fractal R3 over a P183 these days. The P183 is well built and quiet, but it's stuck in the past with no decent cable management, no CPU cutout, no HDD trays, no PSU intake, among other things.

Just as a note, the 193 I got DID have a CPU cut out (got back in August) even though all published reviews and new-egg photos indicated it did not. And it had mounts and trays for everything. I kind of liked the two removable HDD bays that you then mount the drives into, they also made mounting the front fans very very easy. Only extra part I needed to buy were the two front fans. Cable management was also no problem.

Maybe I'm just mistaken in the differences between the 183 and 193 only being the side fan.

TheExodu5 said:

Actually, the P183 has had multiple revisions which address some things. The second revision has a CPU cut-out (a really large one), while the latest one (called V3) also has a front USB 3.0 port. Also, from what I hear anyway, the separated PSU chamber keeps it cooler than cases that have intakes anyway. I would agree that the R3 may be a better choice for some people as it requires far less investment to make it quiet (top already blocked off, quieter fans, included fan controller, cheaper price overall).

I actually purchased it myself today after my dad expressed interest in my current case and PSU, as I'm trying to build as quiet a system as I can and I thought the HAF got too dusty too quickly. I think with a little work, I can get some pretty decent cable management, given that I've got some experience behind me now. I'll post some pics of my set-up and thoughts in a few days for anyone interested in how the P183 performs / how quiet I could make my system go.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kurashima said:
Actually, the P183 has had multiple revisions which address some things. The second revision has a CPU cut-out (a really large one), while the latest one (called V3) also has a front USB 3.0 port. Also, from what I hear anyway, the separated PSU chamber keeps it cooler than cases that have intakes anyway.

I actually purchased it myself today after my dad expressed interest in my current case and PSU, as I'm trying to build as quiet a system as I can and I thought the HAF got too dusty too quickly. I think with a little work, I can get some pretty decent cable management, given that I've got some experience behind me now. I'll post some pics of my set-up and thoughts in a few days for anyone interested in how the P183 performs / how quiet I could make my system go.

Good to hear they've updated it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok PC is up and running, posting from it right now. I ran the BIOSTAR T overclocker app and CPU temps were 27c. How should I go about overclocking this thing? I need some basic advice.

Using the COOLERMASTER fan/heatsink in the OP btw.

mrwilt

I have a BOXX system from around 2003. Specs are:

Dual Xeon 2.8GHz, 512k cache, 533MHz FSB
4900 Series Chassis
Intel E7505 Chipset
2GB PC2100 Registered ECC
Nvidia Quadro4 750 XGL 128MB 4x AGP
Sparkle 460 Watt Power Supply
Windows XP Professional

Can I just swap out the motherboard, processors, ram and graphics card? If so, will I have to re-install Windows XP or can I just plug in the existing dual harddrives to the new stuff and everything will work properly? I'm thinking about going with AMD/ATI stuff this time rather than Intel/Nvidia. Would this be my most economical way of going about this or should I start from scratch?

mrwilt said:
I have a BOXX system from around 2003. Specs are:

Dual Xeon 2.8GHz, 512k cache, 533MHz FSB
4900 Series Chassis
Intel E7505 Chipset
2GB PC2100 Registered ECC
Nvidia Quadro4 750 XGL 128MB 4x AGP
Sparkle 460 Watt Power Supply
Windows XP Professional

Can I just swap out the motherboard, processors, ram and graphics card? If so, will I have to re-install Windows XP or can I just plug in the existing dual harddrives to the new stuff and everything will work properly? I'm thinking about going with AMD/ATI stuff this time rather than Intel/Nvidia. Would this be my most economical way of going about this or should I start from scratch?
Start from scratch. Windows won't work that way.

keeblerdrow said:
Yeah. That's not the greatest deal for a 5870. You can get them new for that price after rebates.

Without upgrading my 460w PSU, is the 5870 the best thing going in the $200-$250 range? I regularly see it outperforming other more expensive cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom