• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Exchanging:

i7 950 > i7 2600K
Asus X58 Sabertooth > Asus P8P67 Deluxe or Sabertooth P67
Patriot Viper II 6GB (2000mhz) > Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1600mhz)

Keeping the ATI 6970 and adding OCZ 60 GB Vertex 2 SSD. For a person w/o any patience, waiting game is going to be killer.

matmanx1

knitoe said:
Exchanging:

i7 950 > i7 2600K

Keeping the ATI 6970 and adding OCZ 60 GB Vertex 2 SSD. For a person w/o any patience, waiting game is going to be killer.

Hehe, you said it man. My PC is my most used electronic device and I've got my SSD just sitting here waiting until the rest of my components come trickling in (some this week, some next week depending on when we can finally buy the CPU's) before I do a complete rebuild. My upgrade will be far more dramatic than yours. I'm going:

E6600 C2D -> i5 2500k
260 GTX -> Radeon 6970
7200RPM -> SSD boot drive

All with a much nicer case and a beefier, modular power supply to keep it all ticking.

I just want to know when the new SSDs are hitting the market. I'm thinking about getting 2 of them, one to put my boot drive on and another to put games on. :lol

When do the Sandy Bridge processors release to New Egg/Tigerdirect/Amazon/etc?

I've seen that they've started selling complete manufactured systems.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sweet. Pioneer, all black.

No ruining the front of the case with an ugly logo.

27-129-061-Z02

edit: shame Sony doesn't have more on NewEgg. Like the look of this one:

27-118-013-S01

edit2: damn this one is pretty cool:

27-135-234-Z02

Wallach

What is the price on that Pioneer?

Edit - Oh bugger it's a burner. Not paying $130 for a new optical. I just need a new one to get blu-ray playback and to discard my IDE drive... not even a round IDE cable. :(

TheExodu5 said:
Bluray Drives
Could you post a link for all those drives, please? I'm thinking of getting a Bluray drive.

Also, in regards to the 'silent' or quiet cases in the OP, is there a catch to them? They seem to have a hinged cover that I would imagine blocks sound, but it doesn't appear that would be very well ventilated to me. Do you have to open them if you are doing anything extensive like gaming or what? Because my Thermaltake V9 is a piece of shit.

IrishNinja

·feist· said:
You have power save features enabled, your CPU is being under-clocked and under-volted, and that cooling solution is still struggling mightily. It could be excused if you had a high ambient, though I doubt that's the case.

Using that Noctua means doing without your AP181 which is one of the biggest selling points of the SG07. Your motherboard has exposed heat generating components (on both sides) that could do with the AP181's airflow blowing over them since they don't have heatsinks. I'm sure you'd like to overclock while maintaining decent internal temps. That Noctua would help, but it has it's own limitations. Only one fan can be installed if you have a GPU plugged in, and you will have to set the fan in the (less effective) pull position, drawing air out of the opposite opening in your case. If left in push, your CPU will just be dumping heat over the GPU and other internals. I still think you should look into down-firing HSFs and ready-made watercoolers like the Corsair Hydro series or CoolIt System's A.L.C. units. The benefit being that either of those cooling types can be used in conjunction with your AP181, cooling the CPU and blowing air over the motherboard, or by themselves (in various fan configurations), if you choose.

For air, you have options like: Scythe Shuriken, Scythe Big Shuriken, Cooler Master GeminII S and Prolimatech Samuel 17, with Thermalright AXP-140 and Noctua NH-C14 on the high end. Before you spend anymore money, take time to search for user reviews and look through as many owner clubs and threads as you can find to help you decide on the best option to go with.

Here are two links to get you started:

http://www.homemedia.fr/tests-guides/197-Silverstone-SG07-5.html
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1480615

helpful as ever, feist! i really do appreciate your replies here.
before we continue, i should point out: the AP181 you're referring to, it came separate from the SG07 i ordered, as it doesn't fit with the water cooling kit provided...reading the reviews/your post points to this likely being the single largest heat problem im having, i think. when my friend & I opened the system yesterday, we looked about and didn't see any fans of any kind, just said liquid kit.
i'm going to check your links, but i'm starting to think: any liquid/air cooling system that can be combined with this fan actually seeing use should improve my temps dramatically, no? as you said, it just becomes a matter of sorting which kits, if any can be a) used in my case efficiently and b) do so allowing room for the fan itself (i have to look it up on the SG07 reviews, im hoping this isn't a case where the AP181 can't be used alongside a full-size GPU...).

I've asked this already in the Stupid Questions Thread, but never got an answer:

What sort of RAM do I need to buy for my Asus 1015PEM netbook? I'd like to swap out my 1GB for a 2GB, but I have no idea what kind to get.

I would assume that the 1015PEM uses 200-pin DDR2 ram, which is verified by this site, although I am not sure how trustworthy the site is.
edit: This site verifies

I have a question though - are there any good wireless transmitting technologies yet, which are worth getting? Is widi any good?

Shambles

Jimmy Stav said:
I've asked this already in the Stupid Questions Thread, but never got an answer:

What sort of RAM do I need to buy for my Asus 1015PEM netbook? I'd like to swap out my 1GB for a 2GB, but I have no idea what kind to get.

Pop off the cover on the bottom over the memory and to be absolutely sure check what's in there now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Captain Knutsman said:
I would assume that the 1015PEM uses 200-pin DDR2 ram, which is verified by this site, although I am not sure how trustworthy the site is.
edit: This site verifies

I have a question though - are there any good wireless transmitting technologies yet, which are worth getting? Is widi any good?
Amazon desc lists DDR3, and that website you linked also says DDR3 for the PEM

Just unscrew the bottom cover to be sure of course.

fushi

Do newer ATI cards work on PCI-E 1.1 motherboards? I have a P35 board (yeah...) and was thinking of getting myself a 6950.
Big Baybee said:
I have 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3's. Do I need an SSd or is that fucking overkill? I bought one and the other was gifted.
An SSD is a jump in performance over any platter-based drive.

Wallach

Knch said:
Folding > rounded cables
It's a bit more work, but in the end it will obstruct the airflow less than rounded cables.

Yeah, but I mean... ugh, work. When my new case and stuff arrives in a couple days it'll get solved though.

IrishNinja

IrishNinja said:
helpful as ever, feist! i really do appreciate your replies here.
before we continue, i should point out: the AP181 you're referring to, it came separate from the SG07 i ordered, as it doesn't fit with the water cooling kit provided...reading the reviews/your post points to this likely being the single largest heat problem im having, i think. when my friend & I opened the system yesterday, we looked about and didn't see any fans of any kind, just said liquid kit.
i'm going to check your links, but i'm starting to think: any liquid/air cooling system that can be combined with this fan actually seeing use should improve my temps dramatically, no? as you said, it just becomes a matter of sorting which kits, if any can be a) used in my case efficiently and b) do so allowing room for the fan itself (i have to look it up on the SG07 reviews, im hoping this isn't a case where the AP181 can't be used alongside a full-size GPU...).

ok, so...something's up.
shutdown/error screen happened again; whilst browsing, downloading on steam, playing planescape: torment in one window, winamp etc, the comp shuts down again, and i notice it's fairly hot at the top (again, lack of fan up there can't be helping). BIOS goes to a checksum error screen, and i select "LAST KNOWN GOOD" or something like that, and everything's ok. am i experiencing heat issues, or is it possible the hardware's been damaged? im assuming these shutdowns are to prevent just that, but seeing as this happened yesterday while running prime95 + realtemp test (and i dont recall the #'s being higher than right under 80, at least a bit before the shutoff?), im assuming this is due to my poor cooling. again, i really am trying to make a priority of finding a good cooler that fits my SG07 and still allows that apparently awesome AP181 fan block, its just taking ab it of research (feist, your 2nd link is good, might sign up there to ask this...first one's in french, though :lol )

I'm determined to build a PC this year because I'm sick of seeing some of my favorite games get great mods, and/or MUCH better performance on their PC counterparts. Only problem is that I've never even attempted to put one of these things together.

I guess my first question is, honestly, how difficult is it to put one together coming into the process with absolutely no experience? I mean, I know what the individual parts are, and what they do, but I'd be consulting a guide of some sorts for pretty much every step of the actual "building" of the thing. How easy is it for a nub such as moi to completely throw money away because I made a boneheaded mistake?

You experts in here, think back to a time before you ever laid eyes on the guts of a PC. How was...

...your first time?

Danoss

Net_Wrecker said:
You experts in here, think back to a time before you ever laid eyes on the guts of a PC. How was...

...your first time?
The first time I ever looked inside a PC was in '99; I had to switch out a graphics card in my first PC I had owned. My knowledgeable friends weren't around to do that for me, but told me what to do. I gave it a go and was surprised at how easy that was.

I still had a friend build me my next PC in '01. For my 3rd PC in '03, I figured I'd give it a go. I just had a friend sit with me while I built it to point out anything I was doing wrong or could do better. It took longer than it normally would, but it gave me a lot of confidence for the future.

You will make mistakes, some shit will break cause you did it wrong or weren't paying complete attention. We've all done it, I'm sure; I know I have. But, that's how we learn right?

Dizzy-4U

Does having the ram in triple channel improve a lot?

I have 8gb DDR3 1600, so is it better to have 6gb in triple channel or 8gb in double channel?

Rezbit

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm determined to build a PC this year because I'm sick of seeing some of my favorite games get great mods, and/or MUCH better performance on their PC counterparts. Only problem is that I've never even attempted to put one of these things together.

I guess my first question is, honestly, how difficult is it to put one together coming into the process with absolutely no experience? I mean, I know what the individual parts are, and what they do, but I'd be consulting a guide of some sorts for pretty much every step of the actual "building" of the thing. How easy is it for a nub such as moi to completely throw money away because I made a boneheaded mistake?

...your first time?

I actually recently just built a PC for the first time, for my brother no less (great show of faith :lol )

My prior experience was only putting in a TNT2 when I was about 15. So a LONG time ago. I pretty much looked at a couple of youtube videos, looked at a site such as this, read the instructions that came with the parts, and with the PSU cords, if it seemed to plug in flush, you were good to go. I got the hardware working first go. Main tip I would give is be patient. Took me a good afternoon/evening to put it all together, and I triple/quadruple checked that each plug was where it had to be, and each part was locked or screwed in.

matmanx1

Dizzy-4U said:
Does having the ram in triple channel improve a lot?

I have 8gb DDR3 1600, so is it better to have 6gb in triple channel or 8gb in double channel?

For certain memory intensive applications triple channel can be a boon. For games it hardly matters at all.

JohngPR

UPS finally delivered (well not really, my wife had to go pick it up for me because naturally UPS tried to deliver it the 20 minutes she left to get food) and my wife brought all the pieces to me at work.

My friend Pedro pretty much built the entire thing for me, and the video helped a bit with knowing which slot to put the graphics card in. It tooks like 4 hours to build it because we were doing it between calls and we got sort of busy (I work as a Firefighter). LOL

Right now I'm making a system image disc and a repair disc since there isn't anything else on this PC other than Windows 7. Then when I have all the stuff I want on my PC I'll create other discs of those states.

I just installed steam and I'm DL Farcry 2 and Crysis. Looking forward to seeing them in action!

Solo

Is this the thread where some various tiers of rigs in various price ranges will be posted in the OP? I liked that in previous years. And since this year I'll be looking to build a new rig up to $1500 CDN with parts from NCIX, Id love to see price range builds pop up again so that I can have a few options to compare against.

matmanx1

Solo said:
Is this the thread where some various tiers of rigs in various price ranges will be posted in the OP? I liked that in previous years. And since this year I'll be looking to build a new rig up to $1500 CDN with parts from NCIX, Id love to see price range builds pop up again so that I can have a few options to compare against.

Yes it is. OP is just waiting on the new Sandy Bridge parts to hit retail in quantity so there's a good idea of prices. Right now we just have a trickle of new motherboards and no processors. Check back after January 9. :D

TheKurgan

Solo said:

I am interested in the same thing - I would like to see it updated to include Sandy Bridge processors once they are available.

F.Y.I. Solo, I have the same budget and am buying from the same place as soon as the i5-2500K is in stock! Can't wait to get back into PC gaming :D

Roche

Hey Gaf I'm looking for a new PC monitor, my budget is 150 euro, can anyone recommend me any good ones in that price range?

Should be around 20" or over preferably.

Solo

TheKurgan said:
F.Y.I. Solo, I have the same budget and am buying from the same place as soon as the i5-2500K is in stock! Can't wait to get back into PC gaming :D

Be sure and let me know what components you go with. I'm not planning to build mine until May or June, so you'll probably beat me to the punch.

TheKurgan

Solo said:
Be sure and let me know what components you go with. I'm not planning to build mine until May or June, so you'll probably beat me to the punch.

Sounds good - once I figure out which 1155 motherboard to buy I will be placing an order. I will be sure to post my build in this thread so that people can pick it apart.

I have already put of this purchase 4+ months waiting for Sandy Bridge, if I put it off any longer my wife will spend my PC money! =P

Sanjay

knitoe said:
Exchanging:

i7 950 > i7 2600K

At what cost? the performance increases is going to be very little.

matmanx1

Sanjay said:

Just the fact that he's adding in an SSD will make his machine feel like a brand new one in terms of OS performance. The rest of the components won't make that big of a difference over what he's running now for games but will definitely pick up some speed in other areas.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Sanjay said:
Errrm, not really. A 5GHZ SB i7 will batter any 4GHZ Nehalem i7. It will be around 40% faster in most tasks whilst also costing less.

cbox

hey guys, thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/lbRbx.png (huge image) Also, CAD prices and I haven't price matched anything. I'm currently running a q9550 and 4gb ram...

I'm a graphic designer/illustrator/after effects/ photographer so this should do me well.

Jin34

TheExodu5 said:
Just picked up an i5 2500K and Gigabyte UD4. :D

Whoa where?

Mr.brit said:
Errrm, not really. A 5GHZ SB i7 will batter any 4GHZ Nehalem i7. It will be around 40% faster in most tasks whilst also costing less.

The vast majority won't get to 5ghz, although some of the current limitations seem to be improper voltage from the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom