• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

Krauser Kat said:
I had problems first doing it. Did you have any other HDD plugged in when you installed windows? Make sure only the SSD is plugged in when you install. Then makes sure all of your other HDD dont have window boot files on them.
I actually have a usb keyboard that will kill my boot. POS 5 dollar thing.
I have an SSD and a 7200 RPM drive. I don't remember how it was set up at first since I had a friend do it. I'll have to try just having the SSD plugged in later today.

xero: Yeah, I can see all my drives in the BIOS and have the boot priority set to boot from my SSD first then DVD drive second.

eznark

Banned
Kyaw said:
Because it a really old game, however good it was.
I was just joking anyway. :p

Me too, but I would love to get a working copy of Shogun. I bought one a couple years ago and could not get it running.

Zimbardo

i need expert opinions on an occurance today ...

was browsing the web. running Steam and torrents at the time in the background. pc had been turned on for about 4 hours at the time ...all of a sudden it just turns off. about 5 seconds later, it turns itself back on like nothing happened.

about 5 to 10 seconds after the pc turned off. the lights in the room flickered briefly.

cable modem looked to be reset and my router had to be rebooted in order to work properly.

sounds like a power dip to me ...what about you?

i'm asking because the same thing happened on two other occasions ...a few months ago during a winter storm, and one other time when the lights flickered again.

now it might sound like i'm answering my own question, but i'm a little paranoid. is the PSU faulty?

it has me wondering, because the times that the power dipped, it didn't completely seem to go out, as the digital clocks in the house weren't reset, etc. the time on the microwave oven wasn't flashing or anything ...heh.

i'm also wondering too, because i don't remember my old PC, that i had for 4 years, doing that ever.

had this pc for about 7 months at the most and it happened 3 different times.

could a power dip cause the pc to turn off, and the only other thing that happens is the lights in the room flicker briefly?

pc has an Antec Truepower New 750w blue psu.
i5 760 not overclocked, but has turbo enabled.
gtx 460 1gig cards in SLI
sound card
4gig ram
2 hard drives

and that's about the extent of things. nothing extra special.

ithorien

R2D4 said:
Yes it's overclocked. I haven't tired removing the overclock. I'd like sleep but I'll wait until the issue is fixed. Really stupid since the whole reason people are buying the P67 over the over versions is to overclock.

It sucks, because I really really really love sleep, especially with the SSD. Not sure if you get this same issue, but my BIOS boot takes about twice as long as my windows boot, so yea, sleep > OC for me.

R2D4

Banned
Zimbardo said:
i need expert opinions on an occurance today ...

was browsing the web. running Steam and torrents at the time in the background. pc had been turned on for about 4 hours at the time ...all of a sudden it just turns off. about 5 seconds later, it turns itself back on like nothing happened.

about 5 to 10 seconds after the pc turned off. the lights in the room flickered briefly.

cable modem looked to be reset and my router had to be rebooted in order to work properly.

sounds like a power dip to me ...what about you?

i'm asking because the same thing happened on two other occasions ...a few months ago during a winter storm, and one other time when the lights flickered again.

now it might sound like i'm answering my own question, but i'm a little paranoid. is the PSU faulty?

it has me wondering, because the times that the power dipped, it didn't completely seem to go out, as the digital clocks in the house weren't reset, etc. the time on the microwave oven wasn't flashing or anything ...heh.

i'm also wondering too, because i don't remember my old PC, that i had for 4 years, doing that ever.

had this pc for about 7 months at the most and it happened 3 different times.

could a power dip cause the pc to turn off, and the only other thing that happens is the lights in the room flicker briefly?

pc has an Antec Truepower New 750w blue psu.
i5 760 not overclocked, but has turbo enabled.
gtx 460 1gig cards in SLI
sound card
4gig ram
2 hard drives

and that's about the extent of things. nothing extra special.

Sounds like a brown out. Get a battery backup and it should stop it from affecting your PC.

R2D4

Banned
ithorien said:
It sucks, because I really really really love sleep, especially with the SSD. Not sure if you get this same issue, but my BIOS boot takes about twice as long as my windows boot, so yea, sleep > OC for me.

I think my bios boots twice. I see the same ASUS splash screen twice. Windows takes about twice as long to boot up as it did on my old build as well. I'm using a fresh install on the same HD. Kind of annoying. I just figured since this is all new tech it will hopefully get fixed in time with Bios updates etc.

TheExodu5 said:
^after having read some previews for the SSD caching feature, I'd say it's not worth it in the least bit. The performance gain is minimal, and in some places, it actually loses performance due to the caching. The only reason to do it is if you have a 40GB SSD and really don't want to be bothered with installing your things on different drives.
I think it would be interesting to try in a build with multiple SSDs and HDDs. If you already have an SSD for OS, various programs that use a large number of files and are not into raiding HDDs for your other data. Not exactly cost-effective, but worth a try for some people who aren't happy with the relative sluggishness of their non-OS drives.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have a Gigabyte P67-UD4 (not the B3 revision), and my 2500k is overclocked to 4.6GHz. I'll give it a shot tonight.

One thing to note is that on regular bootup, even though the Gigabyte doesn't double boot, the AHCI posting takes a while with the Gigabyte board. It probably takes 15-20 seconds until I reach the Windows loading screen.

Coldsnap

Gah, my new i5 2500 fan is probably the loudest thing in my case at the moment (some people not in this forum told me it was a quiet stock fan); I keep it running at 40% with speedfan. I am selling my older PC for a bit more than expected ($230) so I'm looking to buy a heatsink fan. I see most of these fans are based towards people overclocking, I'm doing zero overclocking with my computer so I'm really interested in quiet and efficient airflow. If I can get the same amount of airflow that my stock cooler gives while running at 50% and it be virtually silent I would be one happy man.

I saw a recomendation for this one a few pages back, what would be my best choice?

poking around on silentpreview at the moment, good site.

ithorien

TheExodu5 said:
I have a Gigabyte P67-UD4 (not the B3 revision), and my 2500k is overclocked to 4.6GHz. I'll give it a shot tonight.

One thing to note is that on regular bootup, even though the Gigabyte doesn't double boot, the AHCI posting takes a while with the Gigabyte board. It probably takes 15-20 seconds until I reach the Windows loading screen.

That's about what it is on my Asus. The double boot is pretty quick, then AHCI post takes forever.

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Gah, my new i5 2500 fan is probably the loudest thing in my case at the moment (some people not in this forum told me it was a quiet stock fan); I keep it running at 40% with speedfan. I am selling my older PC for a bit more than expected ($230) so I'm looking to buy a heatsink fan. I see most of these fans are based towards people overclocking, I'm doing zero overclocking with my computer so I'm really interested in quiet and efficient airflow. If I can get the same amount of airflow that my stock cooler gives while running at 50% and it be virtually silent I would be one happy man.

I saw a recomendation for this one a few pages back, what would be my best choice?

poking around on silentpreview at the moment, good site.

If you want quiet but want to keep the cost low, the Scythe Mugen 2 is pretty amazing. It's a bitch to install though, since it has to screw in directly into the backplate, whereas a lot of the newer coolers have a mounging system that you can attach just with thumb screws before putting in the heatsink.

Absinthe

knitoe said:
With SSD drive, I would suggest people reinstall Windows to enable TRIM and set correct fragmentation (which could cut performance by half).

Agreed. I did use diskpart to set up the partition so it was clean.

Then did a low level partition clone on the Windows 7 system reserved, and main drive.

The only trouble I had was needing to recreate the boot loader on the system reserved drive which I had to use bcdedit for.

It would be nice to test the speed of my ssd though, any suggestions?

Coldsnap

TheExodu5 said:
If you want quiet but want to keep the cost low, the Scythe Mugen 2 is pretty amazing. It's a bitch to install though, since it has to screw in directly into the backplate, whereas a lot of the newer coolers have a mounging system that you can attach just with thumb screws before putting in the heatsink.

Ah, I need something easy to install or I will break something on accident. I was just looking at the Mugen too, i liked the price it's in my ideal range. Can it be installed on an R3 too because it has no backplate under the fan?

I also have a Asus P8H67, so i dont have a lot of room to play around with.

In preparation of building my new computer this summer, I want to sell one of my old laptops. Obviously, I want to wipe as much personal info off of it as possible, but still leave Windows on there. Any suggestions for programs I can use to handle this?

clav

Anyone use a Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid drive here)? Aside from firmware issues, how is it performance wise? Everyone just bitches about Seagates sucks, which isn't true, so it's hard to find relevant information.

Although Windows Experience Index isn't the best way to benchmark, it gives it a 5.9.

ithorien

Soka said:
In preparation of building my new computer this summer, I want to sell one of my old laptops. Obviously, I want to wipe as much personal info off of it as possible, but still leave Windows on there. Any suggestions for programs I can use to handle this?

Do you have the system restore discs? It'll wipe everything and put it back to manufacturer "stock".

Salacious Crumb

So it turns out I may have stumbled across a decent clocking CPU for the first time in my life:

dIzus.png

That's with +0.050 offset volts, the maximum I've seen it get to is 1.320v, but that seems to happen very rarely. I ran the blended test in prime for just over 17 hours with no errors.

I'll let the burn test go through a full 20 cycles and if it passes that can I assume this is stable? It just doesn't seem right, every other person I've seen at 4.8 has needed their volts to be closer to 1.37-1.40 to make it stable.

ithorien

Salacious Crumb said:
So it turns out I may have stumbled across a decent clocking CPU for the first time in my life:

That's with +0.050 offset volts, the maximum I've seen it get to is 1.320v, but that seems to happen very rarely. I ran the blended test in prime for just over 17 hours with no errors.

I'll let the burn test go through a full 20 cycles and if it passes that can I assume this is stable? It just doesn't seem right, every other person I've seen at 4.8 has needed their volts to be closer to 1.37-1.40 to make it stable.

I think you struck gold, personally.

Pocks

Soka said:

Eraser 5.7 — You can securely delete any personal files, and then do a wipe of the free space on your hard drive.

DBAN — Totally wipe your hard drive and do a fresh install.

System Restore Disk — What ithorien said

n0n44m

Salacious Crumb said:

nice clocks/voltage :D but have you installed (win7) Service Pack 1 ?

with SP1 you get AVX instructions, which should bump your GFlops into the 100-range ... which I assume also means it increases the stress level ;)

also with Prime I always run small FFTs for cpu only testing

knitoe

For people whom have problems with sleep / hibernate with sandy bridge, you need to disable Internal PLL. It's a known issue with Intel's CPU micro code which Intel has to personally correct. Unless you are trying to get extreme o/c speeds (4.8+ GHz to get pass the wall), it's not required o/c. Even then, for some, it's not needed at all.

And, for Asus double splash screen, it's because of the two controllers being used. If you disable the Marvell controller, you will only see one splash screen.

ithorien

knitoe said:
For people whom have problems with sleep / hibernate with sandy bridge, you need to disable Internal PLL. It's a known issue with Intel's CPU micro code which Intel has to personally correct. Unless you are trying to get extreme o/c speeds (4.8+ GHz to get pass the wall), it's not required o/c. Even then, for some, it's not needed at all.

Can't believe I didn't find this eariler- http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037045458

I'll have to try that, even though I have issues at 4.4.

tafer

Hehehe... fuck Newegg, at the end, they didn't like my money.

Now I have to do the whole thing from amazon (I have prime, so not biggie), but I'll need a different case since the R3 is not available from them.

Any recommendations?

ithorien

tafer said:

Now I have to do the whole thing from amazon (I have prime, so not biggie), but I'll need a different case since the R3 is not available from them.

Any recommendations?

What happened with Newegg?

blanky

tafer said:

Any recommendations?

Corsair 650D?

Salacious Crumb

n0n44m said:
nice clocks/voltage :D but have you installed (win7) Service Pack 1 ?

with SP1 you get AVX instructions, which should bump your GFlops into the 100-range ... which I assume also means it increases the stress level ;)

also with Prime I always run small FFTs for cpu only testing

I already had SP1 installed but the linpack binary needed to be updated.

What is this trickery!

jrTSb.png

LOOK AT ALL THEM FLOPS!

And you're definitely right about it increasing the stress level, my volts now jump to 1.328, but again very rarely, and hover around 1.296-1.312 and look at that temp increase. It all seems to be within acceptable levels though and so far at least, it has remained stable.

knitoe

Salacious Crumb said:
I already had SP1 installed but the linpack binary needed to be updated.

What is this trickery!

LOOK AT ALL THEM FLOPS!

And you're definitely right about it increasing the stress level, my volts now jump to 1.328, but again very rarely, and hover around 1.296-1.312 and look at that temp increase. It all seems to be within acceptable levels though and so far at least, it has remained stable.
Nice chip. I would just run Prime95 with small fft. Also, run HWmonitor to show min / max voltage and temp used.

tafer

blanky said:
Corsair 650D?

"Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks."

There was this one:
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Gaming Case CC600T

But I don't know if a ATX motherboard works on that.

I also see a bunch of cooler master cases, but I don't know about them.

ithorien said:
What happened with Newegg?

Hehe sorry, didn't see this before.

They don't like credit cards from international banks.

Edit:
Corsair's website confirms that ATX motherboards are compatible.

luffeN

Hi GAF,

I kind of want to upgrade my PC but I am not sure. I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, Asus P5Q Pro, Sapphire Radeon 4870 with 512 MB and 6 GB of RAM, Win 7 64-bit Pro.

I was told that the processor and motherboard combo is good for overclocking, so I could buy a better CPU cooler and try my luck with OC. Games I want to play include Brink and The Witcher 2 off the top of my head. Probably some Battlefield 3 action later on. I also need a new case because some of the CPU coolers I looked at will probably not fit. What do you say? Wait a little longer?

edit: thx for all the answers so far!

ithorien

banKai said:
Hi GAF,

I kind of want to upgrade my PC but I am not sure. I have an Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, Asus P5Q Pro, Sapphire Radeon 4870 with 512 MB and 6 GB of RAM, Win 7 64-bit Pro.

I was told that the processor and motherboard combo is good for overclocking, so I could buy a better CPU cooler and try my luck with OC. Games I want to play include Brink and The Witcher 2 off the top of my head. Probably some Battlefield 3 action later on. I also need a new case because some of the CPU coolers I looked at will probably not fit. What do you say? Wait a little longer?

Your GPU needs an upgrade, stat. You're at bare minimum for Witcher. Buy something solid (6950->70 / GX570), carry over into next PC.

The Witcher 2 Miminum System Requirements:
· OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
· Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
· Memory: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
· Video Card: 512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)

f0rk

banKai said:
Hi GAF,

I kind of want to upgrade my PC but I am not sure. I have an Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, Asus P5Q Pro, Sapphire Radeon 4870 with 512 MB and 6 GB of RAM, Win 7 64-bit Pro.

From my experience you don't need to upgrade right away but probably want to start thinking about it. I have the same setup with half the RAM and a 4890 and was surprised how well Crysis 2 ran on the middle setting. Was going to upgrade right away till I tried it in fact. Now put it off for a bit so I get more for my money/save some.

banKai said:
Hi GAF,

That board and CPU should be good for at least a 1GHz overclock. Higher if you have willing components, proper cooling and a bit of extra voltage.

Like ithorien said, you can pick up a GPU now and use it in your eventual upgrade. The Q6600 is still very capable. If your case has good cooling but only lacks space for a large tower cooler, you can pick up a lower profile cooler, OC the Q6600, add a new card and ride things out until you feel like you need a new ground up upgrade.

Coldsnap

After looking at the Mugen 2 and the Coolmaster 212+, I'm thinking about maybe going with a medium size cpu fan instead. One with the design of the stock fan but a tad cooler and quieter. Mugen 2 looks really nice but it seems like a large heatsink to put in a computer that wont get overclocked and also is a micro motherboard, and i can save some money.

Scythe has some good looking medium size cpu fans... any recommendations?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...85097&cm_re=scythe_usa-_-35-185-097-_-Product

luffeN

I was thinking about a real upgrade after my summer job at EA and then buy everything in September. BUT! The big problem also is that I want to play all the upcoming games with most of the details but as of late I don't really have the time anymore. It kinda sucks because new hardware is always cool xD

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:
After looking at the Mugen 2 and the Coolmaster 212+, I'm thinking about maybe going with a medium size cpu fan instead. One with the design of the stock fan but a tad cooler and quieter. Mugen 2 looks really nice but it seems like a large heatsink to put in a computer that wont get overclocked and also is a micro motherboard, and i can save some money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...85097&cm_re=scythe_usa-_-35-185-097-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=arctic_freezer_7_pro-_-35-186-134-_-Product

Coldsnap said:

Low Profile: Scythe Shuriken, Scythe Big Shuriken, Cooler Master GeminII S, Prolimatech Samuel 17, Thermalright AXP-140, Noctua NH-C14, others

92mm "Mini Tower:" Xigmatek HDT-S963 (or any of their various 92mm HDT models), OCZ Vendetta , Noctua NH-U9B (or any of the NH-U series), Cooler Master Hyper TX-3, others

You can also just go with custom or pre-fab water cooling if you don't want a tower cooler.

Coldsnap

TheExodu5 said:

Awesome, with this at low rpms my computer should be pretty dang silent!

·feist· said:
Low Profile: Scythe Shuriken, Scythe Big Shuriken, Cooler Master GeminII S, Prolimatech Samuel 17, Thermalright AXP-140, Noctua NH-C14, others

92mm "Mini Tower:" Xigmatek HDT-S963 (or any of their various 92mm HDT models), OCZ Vendetta , Noctua NH-U9B (or any of the NH-U series), Cooler Master Hyper TX-3, others

You can also just go with custom or pre-fab water cooling if you don't want a tower cooler.

Cool, I will look at all of those.

Thanks again you two!

TheExodu5

Banned
Keep in mind the smaller the heatsink, the less it will cool, and the louder it will potentially be (though fan control plays a big part in this as well). Still, something like the Freezer 7 should be a marked improvement over stock. The nice thing about the Freezer 7 for you is that is just uses the plastic push pins, which means you won't have to take your motherboard out to do the swap.

Coldsnap

TheExodu5 said:
Keep in mind the smaller the heatsink, the less it will cool, and the louder it will potentially be (though fan control plays a big part in this as well). Still, something like the Freezer 7 should be a marked improvement over stock. The nice thing about the Freezer 7 for you is that is just uses the plastic push pins, which means you won't have to take your motherboard out to do the swap.

Yea, I think Im going with the Freezer 7. Seems cheap and less of a hassle = less of a chance of me breaking something.

clav

·feist· said:
That board and CPU should be good for at least a 1GHz overclock. Higher if you have willing components, proper cooling and a bit of extra voltage.

Like ithorien said, you can pick up a GPU now and use it in your eventual upgrade. The Q6600 is still very capable. If your case has good cooling but only lacks space for a large tower cooler, you can pick up a lower profile cooler, OC the Q6600, add a new card and ride things out until you feel like you need a new ground up upgrade.
What kind of low profile cooler would you suggest?

Heard good things about the Scythe Shuriken.

Coldsnap

^ I just spent some time reading about the shuriken. The Big version seems to be better but there is a lot of complains about it being a pain to install. I cant get a good grasp of what the installing mechanism they have though...

TheExodu5

Banned
Well if it's anything like the Mugen, the problem is that you basically need someone holding the heatsink and motherboard together while you screw in the backplate. It's an easy 2 person job, but a tough 1 person job.

With my Venomous X, I just had to pinch the backplate and frontplate together and use thumb screws. The difference is the Scythes don't use a frontplate mounting system. They simply mount the heatsink directly to the backplate. This makes it very solid, but it just really sucks to install. The Mugen 2, on top of that, is just plain massive, which makes things even harder.

Coldsnap said:
also looks like the big shuriken doesn't support my i5 2500 sockets
It does.

claviertekky said:
What kind of low profile cooler would you suggest?

Heard good things about the Scythe Shuriken.
Depends on the budget, case size and type of build. The Shurikens are proven and perform well for their size and price. Noctua's NH-C14 is nice, but pricey and not suited to some users.

Scythe also has a newer model with what's suppsoed to be a simplified mounting mechanism.

Scythe Kozuti (SCKZT-1000) "only 40mm in height"

sts4.jpg
sts5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom