• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hey guys

when trying to run game X with lets say 2xSSGAA do you also have to enable other options correspondedly aswell?

2xssgaa -> 2xmsaa
4xssgaa -> 4xmsaa

etc.

Or is it enough to just chose the amount of SSGAA you want in nvidia inspector?

scogoth

TheExodu5 said:
Well if it's anything like the Mugen, the problem is that you basically need someone holding the heatsink and motherboard together while you screw in the backplate. It's an easy 2 person job, but a tough 1 person job.

With my Venomous X, I just had to pinch the backplate and frontplate together and use thumb screws. The difference is the Scythes don't use a frontplate mounting system. They simply mount the heatsink directly to the backplate. This makes it very solid, but it just really sucks to install. The Mugen 2, on top of that, is just plain massive, which makes things even harder.

Flip the motherboard upside down and place the cooler on the ground and secure it. Then macgyver it into the case

TheExodu5

Banned
What's SSGAA? I keep hearing about that lately...

scogoth said:
Flip the motherboard upside down and place the cooler on the ground and secure it. Then macgyver it into the case

That's basically what I did. Still not fun. I was real nervous putting that back into the case with the amount of torque it was putting on my motherboard. Still, it worked out well, and was an amazing cooler. Had my Q8300 @ 3.0GHz running at 50C with the 120mm fan at 400RPM.

Coldsnap

TheExodu5 said:
You have an R3. I don't see why you'd limit yourself by going to a low profile cooler.

well my concern is fitting it on my small motherboard, I went with the P8H67 to save some money and my spu fan runs right up to my ram. Looking at the inside of my case I'm pretty sure I can't fit a shuriken, it would bump into my ram.

jude8l.jpg

scogoth

Coldsnap said:
well my concern is fitting it on my small motherboard, I went with the P8H67 to save some money and my spu fan runs right up to my ram. Looking at the inside of my case I'm pretty sure I can't fit a shuriken, it would bump into my ram.

jude8l.jpg

Thats a really badly designed layout, what board is that? And its h67 why do you need an after market cooler?

Coldsnap said:

jude8l.jpg

Half your plugs are turned wrong. I only know because of how much frustration they gave me when installing mine. The only time the tip of the arrow is supposed to touch the side of the fan is when removing the heatsink.

Most illogical design ever.

Coldsnap

Ah, yea i figured those knobs were probably wrong, sorta guessed on them lol. Yea the P8H67 is a small fit, saved $50 going with it so I'm fine. I'm looking to get a new fan because the stock cpu fan is wicked loud.

Coldsnap

Got my case open and trying to find out the rpm's when cpu fan gets loud, what I'm seeing though is confirming my suspicion that my speedfan is busted. The CPU fan only changes speeds between the value 40% and 50%, anything about 50% and the cpu fan goes no faster than 50% and anything below 40% the cpu goes no faster than 40%. Also the RPM readings are all wrong on my speedfan. I hope this is a problem with speedfan itself and not my cpu fan motherboard connection.

TheExodu5

Banned
So is there a good way to clone my current Windows installation on my new Vertex 3 (from my Intel X25-M)? I don't really feel like doing a fresh install if I don't have to.

I'm worried about alignment issues.

Coldsnap said:

jude8l.jpg

You can probably just put the fan on the left side of the tower cooler. That would rule out the Freezer 7 though, since you can't change the fan direction.

Actually...I'd be afraid of the heatsink assembly (front plate) running into that RAM. Hmmmm.

edit: from this pics, it seems like it would be fine:

kmc15jgjud5WjbSq_500.jpg

The Hyper 212+ should work out.

EW_zoom4_sm.jpg

Just don't have the fan on that side, and put it on the opposite side of the heatsink instead. Have it pull air through the heatsink, instead of pushing air through it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Yea, Freezer 7 is out then and the mugen because it's too wide. I'm looking at the Coolmaster 212, silent pc review said the fan it comes with isn't too quiet which worries me but maybe it will make due. Looking at this picture it might just have enough clearence to make it over my RAM.

11-mounted.jpg

You can either try throttling it, or you can just replace it with a $10 800RPM fan.

rc213

Coldsnap said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/jude8l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I have the same board and I also find the stock heatsink to quite loud. I ordered a Corsair A50 and Cooler Master 120mm PWM fan to replace it.

[URL]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IT6RDE/?tag=neogaf0e-20[/URL]

ithorien

Anyone with the sleep issues on P67s and OC- disable PLL voltage, it's a shot. It worked for me. Just waiting on the C300 "freeze" issue (turns out it was that and not the DVD drive like I thought, even though I remember clearly reading about it).

PSU left!

-viper-

Banned
akmcbroom said:
Just got my 212+ installed on my 2500k.. Load temps went from 78 to 58

Time to start pushing towards 4.5ghz. :)
Load temps went from 78 to 58? Is this on stock?

You mentioned you have a Fractal Design R3. That is the case I'm going to get. I sure as hell the temps aren't like that :\

How many fans have you got installed?

ithorien

-viper- said:

You mentioned you have a Fractal Design R3. That is the case I'm going to get. I sure as hell the temps aren't like that :\

I have three fans in that same case, P8P67 running my 2500k at 4400, 68 max on full load. Temp in the room is about ~72. I'd say that's pretty normal.

-viper-

Banned
ithorien said:
I have three fans in that same case, P8P67 running my 2500k at 4400, 68 max on full load. Temp in the room is about ~72. I'd say that's pretty normal.
Your room must be an oven. 72C? Wut?

ZZMitch

Hey PC-GAF,

So I have about $250 and I am upgrading my GTX 460 and I am looking for the best option. I have been having a lot of problems with my 460 lately with crashing and stuff so I wanted to go ATI this time around, and I hear that the 6950 2GB is the best bang for the buck at my price range at the moment anyway (or at least it was about a month ago?). I have been searching around newegg for the best deal.

So I want a 6950 2GB for around $250. What are my best options, and I really care about stability, because my GTX 460 has been anything but stable in the 8 months that I have had it and PC gaming has been very frustrating because of it! I can't get anywhere in my
first
playthrough of Half Life 2 right now, making me angry heh.

·feist· said:
A little over six months after it leaked, it's looking more and more likely that Intel's Z68 will launch in early May. Looked like a bad idea at the time before we knew just how much Intel was going to restrict its chipsets. Now it seems like the best solution for a lot of people.

It would've have been nice if the Smart Response SSD caching (RST) wasn't capped, but it isn't the only available client solution anyway.

GGaSc.png

jE6Td.jpg

I meant if someone else was using this system. Things have happened. You may be discounting various auto-run instances, btw. Have to love the fine folks at Adobe. Also, I try not to expect much from users who may not even know what an OS is, let alone which one they're running.

Well, 2 out of 3 (all the functionality from P67 and H67) ain't bad.

Maybe next time they'll get it right.

MrBelmontvedere said:
IMG0031760.jpg

IMG0031761.jpg

some bad news is the 8-core SNB-E might only be 6-core :(

Lolwut?

Guess they're holding onto that for Haswell, or whatever their next tock will be called.

BTW, Intel needs to drop the 2600/K about $50 for it to gain any sort of appeal over the 2500/K.

I wonder what the top end of Ivy Bridge will look like.

iNvid02

found another interesting thing, i was looking at resource monitor in task manager and noticed 4 of the cpu cores were parked (its a win7 power saving feature). its not supposed to be on if you have the max performance power setting which i had on, but it still was parking my cores.

i followed this guide (few registry tweaks) and cores dont park anymore.

BTW, it looks like LGA 2011 will be used for SB-E, given the quad-channel comment up there.

Not that it matters, but I wonder if and when Intel will give in and make 2x16 available to the sub-enthusiast platforms (i. e. 1156, 1155), given how AMD seems to never be at a loss for PCI-E lanes.

rc213

Coldsnap said:
Ah, great. So it fit no problem? Did you have to make the fan backup to the exhaust fan?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just ordered today, I should have it by Wednesday.

Coldsnap

rc213 said:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just ordered today, I should have it by Wednesday.

Ah cool, I got one too. Can't beat $26.00 shipped and I like how it has a black top instead of chrome. I'm gonna try out the stock fan, I'll probably replace it but figured I would give it a shot before I spent another $10.00

Hey guys. Just installed a CM Hyper 212 + onto my i5-750. Put a strip of thermal paste along each pipe. There was very little that caked out.

I booted my PC into the bios and my proccessor temperature is 35 C. That can't be right?! What the fuck is going on?

Velion

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys. Just installed a CM Hyper 212 + onto my i5-750. Put a strip of thermal paste along each pipe. There was very little that caked out.

I booted my PC into the bios and my proccessor temperature is 35 C. That can't be right?! What the fuck is going on?
Your CPU temp will be different depending on the ambient temp in your room, and also airflow in case.

Hawk269

I tried using Corky's settings for his overclock of 4.6 on my SB2600k and after an hour of Prime I got a BSOD error. Thing is, temp's never hit higher that 73c on one core and that is with the H212+ cooler. I know the max temp is 95 or so, so I was looking good. But, it never climbed higher than 73c and that was only on 1 of the cores.

Now, when an OC crashes and gives blue screen with notes about windows shutting it down, it said something about it waiting for a response from the cpu on something. I know heat is not the issue so I am asking if there is something else i need to look into or should I just lower the clock on it?

I have the ASUS P67 Deluxe Mobo and the 2600k w/h212+ cooler. 8 Gigs of ram etc. All tests in Prime up to the crash all passed with no issues.

Okay, ran prime 95 for 20 mins. Max was 64C on my i5-750. I will run overnight after some dark sector. I am OC'ed to 3.33G. I could probably go further, but this seems acceptable for now until I really need the extra boost.

knitoe

Hawk269 said:
I tried using Corky's settings for his overclock of 4.6 on my SB2600k and after an hour of Prime I got a BSOD error. Thing is, temp's never hit higher that 73c on one core and that is with the H212+ cooler. I know the max temp is 95 or so, so I was looking good. But, it never climbed higher than 73c and that was only on 1 of the cores.

Now, when an OC crashes and gives blue screen with notes about windows shutting it down, it said something about it waiting for a response from the cpu on something. I know heat is not the issue so I am asking if there is something else i need to look into or should I just lower the clock on it?

I have the ASUS P67 Deluxe Mobo and the 2600k w/h212+ cooler. 8 Gigs of ram etc. All tests in Prime up to the crash all passed with no issues.
You CPU probably requires more voltage. What works for others may not for you. Think of it as a general range you can expect. Add 0.010V everytime you BSOD until it passes Prime95 small fft for a few hours. Afterward, you can try reducing by 0.005V until you get a BSOD. Then, just add 0.005V and that's what your CPU need at the o/c speed.

Absinthe

-viper- said:

As ithorien said, that's about right for the Fractal R3.

I have only the 2 case fans and the CPU fan installed with none of the vent "covers" removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom