• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ithorien said:
Hot and more expensive, but I still prefer them. Drivers are better imo.

With models like the asus direct II cu and msi twin frozr III both AMD and Nvidia cards can be had supercool with low temps :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TouchMyBox said:
This.

There's no reason to ever take a 60Hz TN panel over a nice IPS panel except price.

I'm on a dell u2311h IPS panel and been playing street fighter on it for a good while and I find the monitor to be great when it comes to latencysensitive games

ithorien

Corky said:
With models like the asus direct II cu and msi twin frozr III both AMD and Nvidia cards can be had supercool with low temps :)

Damn my EVGA loyalty, damn it to hell.

TouchMyBox said:
This.

There's no reason to ever take a 60Hz TN panel over a nice IPS panel except price.

I have a 12ms IPS as my left monitor that I've used since I bought it in 2005, and I've never seen any ghosting on it. Aside from color vibrance and size, it beats my TN in everything else. Color reproduction's better, viewing angles are better, it has ton of inputs + USB hub.

ithorien

Mr Nightman said:
I hear you man, love evga, but got me an asus gtx 460, soo damn cool idle and on load

I kind of wish I got that Asus 570 CUII, but honestly every Asus card I purchased before switching to EVGA, something failed on it. One had bad chips, almost all had bad fans, etc etc. I'm sure it's different now, but they rubbed me the wrong way in the GPU department.

Exodu5, would you mind re-posting your AS-SSD results from your Vertex 3 240? I've been trying to search for them in this thread, but lack of search + horrible NeoGAF tablet optimization are making it difficult. My laptop is gone and replaced with a tablet, and I'm just trying to decide which SSD to order so I can get started on my build.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So if I were to go ahead and put together a new system with a budget of around $800 or so, what should I be looking at if I want to play whatever I want to throw at it at 1080p (higher res monitors seem crazy pricey) at eye bleeding fps and features?

Current system was...

Athlon II X4 630
4 GB DDR
750 GB WD HDD 7200 RPM
GeForce GTX 460 1 GB

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
From everything I'm reading on NewEgg reviews between the ATI and GeForce boards that were recommended to me, it sounds like the ATI boards are super loud, and the GeForce boards are a bit more expensive.

So, what I want is a quiet AMD board?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Right now I've got 6gb of corsair dominator. I keep thinking about upgrading to 12gb, but mostly all I use my pc for is gaming. Do you think any games this year or next year will take advantage of having more than 6gb of ram?

Cday

Banned
Corky said:
Slightly above 200 are both the 560 gtx ti and 6950 1gb cards. Both some of the best bang for the buck gpus out there.

460/6850 are the best "bang for buck". 560/6950 are for people who want a little more room for for extra effects and AA and don't have a problem paying an extra $100 for them.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Kintaro said:
So if I were to go ahead and put together a new system with a budget of around $800 or so, what should I be looking at if I want to play whatever I want to throw at it at 1080p (higher res monitors seem crazy pricey) at eye bleeding fps and features?

Current system was...

Honestly your system looks pretty good still. I'd say save your money and wait it out till next year or something.

Your gtx 460 1 gig is still a great performer.

TheExodu5

Banned
Baller said:
Exodu5, would you mind re-posting your AS-SSD results from your Vertex 3 240? I've been trying to search for them in this thread, but lack of search + horrible NeoGAF tablet optimization are making it difficult. My laptop is gone and replaced with a tablet, and I'm just trying to decide which SSD to order so I can get started on my build.

v3.png

Keep in mind the smaller 120 doesn't perform as well.

Anyways, in real world usage, I don't think the Vertex 3 will feel that much faster than the Intel 320, at least not for the added cost. If I was going 120gb, I'd probably go with the Intel for reliability. The Vertex 3 240GB is pretty well priced though, which makes it a more attractive option if you're going for high capacity.

TheExodu5 said:
v3.png

Keep in mind the smaller 120 doesn't perform as well.

Anyways, in real world usage, I don't think the Vertex 3 will feel that much faster than the Intel 320, at least not for the added cost. If I was going 120gb, I'd probably go with the Intel for reliability. The Vertex 3 240GB is pretty well priced though, which makes it a more attractive option if you're going for high capacity.
I'm probably going 240 ;-)

I decided that I didn't want to upgrade anything besides the GPU, ever. *evil grin*

Then again, if IvyBridge ends up using socket 1155.....

I am currently considering upgrading my motherboard and ram to ddr3, currently using 4gb of ddr2 and a phenom 2 x4 945 cpu, just wondering what my best bang for the buck would be for around 150 dollars total? Can be micro or standard atx, and would prefer 4 ram slots, and possibly two pci-e x16 slots for a gtx 460 and a 9800 gt dedicated physx card, any input appreciated

Dryst

Neo Member
Anyone have any suggestions for GPU's in the $100-150 range that run cool?

I'm replacing my ati4850... I have a hp elite PC and it has HORRIBLE ventilation. The 4850 runs wayyyyy to hot for my machine, I know I could buy a cooler for it but i'd rather just get a better card that doesn't run as hot.

Coldsnap

Need some opinions on what I should do with my computer problem. My Asus P8H67 has some crazy bios thing where it wont let you control your cpu fan, It only allows you to turn it down to 40% and run at 50% manually. So I'm thinking of buying a nice silent (Scythe Karma Flow) 800rpm PWM fan and just letting it run at 40% (That should be quiet enough?). OR I can plug in my cpu fan to the fan controler that came with the R3 (my case fans are currently connected to it) and I can manually turn it with the knob. The problem with option #2 is that I will not know what my rpms are but an advantage is with the knob turned all the way down I'm sure that will be slower than 800rpms. Whatcha think? I currently have a Corsair D50 heatsink fan as my cpu fan and its a loud bitch.

scogoth

Coldsnap said:
Need some opinions on what I should do with my computer problem. My Asus P8H67 has some crazy bios thing where it wont let you control your cpu fan, It only allows you to turn it down to 40% and run at 50% manually. So I'm thinking of buying a nice silent (Scythe Karma Flow) 800rpm PWM fan and just letting it run at 40% (That should be quiet enough?). OR I can plug in my cpu fan to the fan controler that came with the R3 (my case fans are currently connected to it) and I can manually turn it with the knob. The problem with option #2 is that I will not know what my rpms are but an advantage is with the knob turned all the way down I'm sure that will be slower than 800rpms. Whatcha think? I currently have a Corsair D50 heatsink fan as my cpu fan and its a loud bitch.

800RPM at 100% should be really quiet

Coldsnap

TheExodu5 said:
Scythe S-Flex, Kamaflow, or Thermalright. Good static pressure from those fans which make them good for heatsinks.

Gotcha, I see on newegg they say "3-pin (4-pin adaptor included)" does that mean its not a PWM fan?

Coldsnap

Alright, I might go with a 500rpm Scythe Slipstream because its the only quiet scythe fan that is not out of stock. They offer a 800rpm fan but its a bit louder looking at the dBA levels, since its not a PWM fan it will be running 100% on my case and I wanted my fans to be around 400-500rpm to make it silent.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For those of you stressing out over your SSD benchmarks - the more you benchmark it, the more you're gonna wear it out.

Just do it once or twice.

Rentahamster said:
For those of you stressing out over your SSD benchmarks - the more you benchmark it, the more you're gonna wear it out.

Just do it once or twice.

Not if you run 3x 50MB benchmarks. Do one as a baseline, compare it to all new benches. Far less wear than the default option.

clav

Well, GAF. Turns out I can has a new CPU on my aging LGA 775 board as a good friend of mine used to be an owner of a Q6600 (although I don't know if it's the SLACR version).

Now to be hopeful that he still has the chip.

Otherwise, time to ask other friends!

BUMP:
I am currently considering upgrading my motherboard and ram to ddr3, currently using 4gb of ddr2 and a phenom 2 x4 945 cpu, just wondering what my best bang for the buck would be for around 150 dollars total? Can be micro or standard atx, and would prefer 4 ram slots, and possibly two pci-e x16 slots for a gtx 460 and a 9800 gt dedicated physx card, any input appreciated, THANKS :)

Hero

scogoth said:
ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA 1155, Intel P67 chipset $152.99
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo), Quad-Core, 6 MB L3 Cache $219.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $29.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 240-Pin DDR3-1333 Dual-Channel Desktop Memory Kit $54.99
Graphics Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 $274.99
Hard Drives Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache SATA 3Gb/s $64.99
Power Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 W ATX12V, EPS12V, 80 PLUS-Certified $89.99

Add case, ssd, monitor whatever else you need. Want to upgrade any more then that go to asus pro board, and unlock the 6950 to 6970.

Thanks for the suggestion! Most of the stuff seems decent but is there an Nvidia card/setup that you can recommend?

Sanic

Alright, i've got Windows reinstalled and i've brought a new 1TB HDD along for the ride ;) Time to get everything up and running.

I have a quick question though. I noticed in Windows update that there are drivers for my monitor. Do I need to install that? What difference will it make, if any?

scogoth

Hero said:
Thanks for the suggestion! Most of the stuff seems decent but is there an Nvidia card/setup that you can recommend?

460 1GB for cheaper card, 560TI for good bang for buck, 570 for great performance but more money. 570 and 6970 are about equal. 560 and 6950 about equal.

scogoth

Pandoracell said:
Alright, i've got Windows reinstalled and i've brought a new 1TB HDD along for the ride ;) Time to get everything up and running.

I have a quick question though. I noticed in Windows update that there are drivers for my monitor. Do I need to install that? What difference will it make, if any?

Driver for monitor or graphics card? Only reason I can think of display drivers would be a usb hub built in. If its graphics update then get the latest from nvidia/amd

eznark

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
good choice. I have the RAT 9.

After using a wireless mouse the last couple years I am glad to be back to wired. Are the builds identical apart from that? This thing feels absolutely awesome. After using it for a day, I am in love.

Rest of my components get here tomorrow!!

Sanic

scogoth said:
Driver for monitor or graphics card? Only reason I can think of display drivers would be a usb hub built in. If its graphics update then get the latest from nvidia/amd

Monitor, not the graphics card. I have it hooked up via VGA (I know...) which is why I was wondering.

knitoe

Went crossfire and the top card (6970) now runs at 90C load (up from 82C). I added 200mm side fan, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Is 90C ok for 6970 & 6950?

To those with small SSD's: what do you have set for a page file?

Windows allocated 16 GB, seems excessive (I think it is just trying to do 1:1 hardware RAM to page file).

knitoe

HowardRoark said:

Windows allocated 16 GB, seems excessive (I think it is just trying to do 1:1 hardware RAM to page file).
I set it at 2GB and move it to a Samsung F3 1TB (D:).

scogoth

knitoe said:
Went crossfire and the top card (6970) now runs at 90C load (up from 82C). I added 200mm side fan, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Is 90C ok for 6970 & 6950?

Those temps are fine. Are they stock VGA coolers? AMD reference design is really bad for crossfire in close slots.

HowardRoark said:

16 GB is rather large, if you are running into space constraints. (Do you have 8GB of RAM?) You should be OK with decreasing the size of the pagefile but don't move it to another drive. The pagefile is something you want on your SSD.

Moving it to another drive is analogous to buying awesome speakers and leaving them in the plastic covers to protect them from dust.

whatsinaname said:
16 GB is rather large, if you are running into space constraints. (Do you have 8GB of RAM?) You should be OK with decreasing the size of the pagefile but don't move it to another drive. The pagefile is something you want on your SSD.

Moving it to another drive is analogous to buying awesome speakers and leaving them in the plastic covers to protect them from dust.

16 GB (Overkill, I know. It was cheap though). Like I said, it's probably trying to maintain a 1:1 ratio.

I'll probably lower it to ~4 GB.

HowardRoark said:
16 GB (Overkill, I know. It was cheap though). Like I said, it's probably trying to maintain a 1:1 ratio.

I'll probably lower it to ~4 GB.

Whoa! 16GB. If a lot of that is not in use and you are running out of space on your HDD, have you looked into creating a 4GB RAMdisk and putting your page file on that? I haven't done it before, so I don't know how it works. Others might have some input.

A couple of other things I've done to increase space on my SSD.

1) Deleted old installer files that Windows Update downloaded.
2) Turned off Hibernate. (This gives you a huge chunk of space. I never use Hibernate.)
3) Decreased the space allocated to Windows Volume Shadow Copy. I have other backup mechanisms set up.

knitoe

If you have a lot of ram (8-16GB), Windows will rarely ever need to use paging files. Thus, you can moved them from the SSD to another drive to save space and you won't notice any performance hit. Plus, less writes to SSD = longer life.

rc213

Returning the ASUS P8H67-M LX because the PWM feature was not working whatsoever.

Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 now running in my system, PWM function is running as designed. PWM fans start at 700rpm and gradually ramp up as I ran IntelBurnTest. Gigabyte H67 board also allows me to go higher on the On-Chip Frame Buffer Size (Asus 128mb max/Gigabyte 500mb max). Also received the Corsair A50 heatsink, Paired it up with a Cooler Master BladeMaster 120mm PWM for awesomeness!

Just need to replace one case fan that's on the fritz and get some better SATA cables.

Amazon <3<3<3

Sanic

An update for those who have been following along with my performance issues: a reformat didn't fix anything, so it's on to the next step, if there is one.

Zel3

My Thermalright Silver Arrow just got here. Can't wait to install it this friday. :D
61-VjT1YyYL.jpg

Hoping to achieve a 4GHz overclock on my i7 920. Hopefully I got a good OC chip. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom