• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The_Inquisitor said:
Well, ran prime95 last night w/ my new CM H 212 + intstalled. I paid 12 dollars after rebate at fry's for it.

My max was 64 on core0. No failures OC'ing from 2.66 to 3.357.

Two questions

1) Should my temperatures continue to drop w/ the stock paste over the next 3-5 days as paste cures?

2) Core0 tends to run 5-7 degrees warmer than any other core. I know that is the norm, but could it be because adequate contact is not being made with the cooler?

Right now with a few things on I am

1) depends, certain pastes have longer breakin periods, they were listed just a couple of posts up I believe

2) " the sensors are placed on the die they are not always placed dead center at the hottest point of the chip.. Even a few micro millimeters off can be the diff of 10c+. " Doubt your cooler can cause that.

Corky said:
1) depends, certain pastes have longer breakin periods, they were listed just a couple of posts up I believe

2) " the sensors are placed on the die they are not always placed dead center at the hottest point of the chip.. Even a few micro millimeters off can be the diff of 10c+. " Doubt your cooler can cause that.

Figured as much. Used the stock paste that came with the cooler. May get some Artic Silver later this summer when temperatures start to rise outside.

clav

scorcho said:
Understandable, but if you go for a complete system upgrade now, you can buy 8GB of DDR3 for ~$80. I think NewEgg has had some deals over the last week or so that have pushed it down to $70.

i upgraded from a Q6600 @ 3.1ghz to a 2500K @ 4.3ghz and the speed gain is very noticeable.
Isn't DDR4 just around the corner as in 2012?

I'll wait until then.

Should I still go through with a Q6600? How were your temperatures?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
claviertekky said:
Should I still go through with a Q6600? How were your temperatures?
not great - idled in the 40s, peaked at 70s and was never able to get past 3.1ghz without a massive rise in voltage that would make my temps worse. that's a bit atypical for the chip, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Q6600 is an incredibly hot chip and needs good cooling to get a strong overclock out of it, if the chip is capable in the first place. It's great quad on a budget, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 2500k.

clav

TheExodu5 said:
The Q6600 is an incredibly hot chip and needs good cooling to get a strong overclock out of it, if the chip is capable in the first place. It's great quad on a budget, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 2500k.
Is there an AMD CPU + MATX board that can hold a candle towards 2500K and use DDR2 memory?

clav

Kintaro said:
I will go this route.
So is there a way for me to use my DDR2 RAM on an AMD setup that's better?

Feel like Intel laid a big fuck you to me due to this upgrade situation. I didn't have to buy a board that supported 45nm chips.

claviertekky said:
So is there a way for me to use my DDR2 RAM on an AMD setup that's better?
claviertekky said:
Is there an AMD CPU + MATX board that can hold a candle towards 2500K and use DDR2 memory?
Quite simply, no. Looking at your motherboard and case you have considerable limitations with both.

claviertekky said:
Feel like Intel laid a big fuck you to me due to this upgrade situation. I didn't have to buy a board that supported 45nm chips.
I'm not sure how considering 775 was one of their best and longest lived sockets. 775 was so successful that Intel has made it a point to try and avoid some of the reasons for its success.

If anything 1155 users should have a beef with them.

clav

·feist· said:
Quite simply, no. Looking at your motherboard and case you have considerable limitations with both.
I like my computers to be small though. My first one I built was an ATX, and that was way too big. The later I built Shuttle XPS computers powered with AMD Athlon XP cores which still are used daily today.

Really nothing for AMD? Or do you guys just don't know since you never used my setup or only know Intel? The E2XXX chips were great overclockers and comparable to Core 2 Duos at the time for the price. That's why I chose Intel during the time.

claviertekky said:
I like my computers to be small though. My first one I built was an ATX, and that was way too big. The later I built Shuttle XPS computers powered with AMD Athlon XP cores which still are used daily today.

Really nothing? Or do you guys just don't know since you never used my setup?
It isn't that. Just that you have very limited power delivery with that board (nothing to do with being mATX), no vrm cooling, less than ideal case layout with restricted airflow, and other issues that need to be addressed (PSU, GPU, proper cooling solutions).

If you had good spare parts that could be used to keep costs down things would be different, but you may be approaching the point where a ground up build is in order.

It's all a matter of how much you are willing to put into getting around the current limitations you have from various components, then weigh that against the potential results. Cost benefit.

J2d

I'm gonna let a local store assemble my pc. What I want is for it is to run stuff like Crysis on the highest settings, 60fps at 1080p. Here's some parts in one of their builds:

Corsair Power Supply 650W TXV2 Enthusiast Series
Intel® Core I7-950 3066MHz LGA1366 8MB
Corsair 6gb (3KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/CL9/1.65V/XMS3
Gigabyte HD6970 2GB GDDR5, 2xDVI, 2xDisplayPort, HDMI, DX11
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

I'd appreciate it if you guys could point out anything that might be a weak link so I can consider upgrading it.

clav

·feist· said:
It isn't that. Just that you have very limited power delivery with that board (nothing to do with being mATX), no vrm cooling, less than ideal case layout with restricted airflow, and other issues that need to be addressed (PSU, GPU, proper cooling solutions).

If you had good spare parts that could be used to keep costs down things would be different, but you may be approaching the point where a ground up build is in order.

It's all a matter of how much you are willing to put into getting around the current limitations you have from various components, then weigh that against the potential results. Cost benefit.
All right. I'll consider a new computer in 2012 then.

For a new computer, I definitely want UEFI on my board for faster bootup times and DDR4 since I waited already so long.

Welp, so much for upgrading and not being an Apple Mac.

thundr51

OK, the time has come, I've finally finished paying off my car and to celebrate i'm want to pick up a new GPU this weekend. Originally my budget was only 100-150 but I decided to splurge a bit bump it up to 150 -200. You guys suggested the 6850 or the 460 GTX and while I noticed that are plenty on Newegg only 2 of them use PCI express 2.0x16.

So <ahem> HELP ME GAF!!

Should I stay the course and pick up a 6850 or does anybody know where I can find a 5850 or a 470GTX. Also, whats the deal with the new Ti units? I don't want to get stuck with another "SE", "GTO" card again...

So far thinking about this Sapphire Toxic 6850

scogoth

J2d said:
I'm gonna let a local store assemble my pc. What I want is for it is to run stuff like Crysis on the highest settings, 60fps at 1080p. Here's some parts in one of their builds:

I'd appreciate it if you guys could point out anything that might be a weak link so I can consider upgrading it.

Get a i5-2500K and P67 board. No point getting X58 nowadays, P67 much better for gaming. Its also much cheaper.

Hawk269

Corky said:
My Bios cpu temps seem to totally off. 44C idle. Coretemp shows 26C idle

That is normal for our board Corky. I was wondering the same thing and I researched it and found out that on average the bios temp is about 15-20 higher than what it actually is. You good man.

Quadratic

I would get the GTX 460 but not the SE version. Even though the specs are similar between the 460 and 465, the 460 is better in every other way (noise, heat, power efficiency) because it was designed for that performance level and uses a smaller processor instead of being a nerfed GTX 470. If the 50 dollars means more then the cons the 465 a capable card. And yes, it will be better than your 9600GT.

Ajemsuhgao said:
This should hopefully be the last time I ask for advise on video cards for a while...

Originally I was going to get this one:

EVGA GTX 460 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $199.99. $179.99, after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130596

Then I went to Microcenter, and ended up finding a card that was cheaper, and didn't look like it was a huge drop in specs(to me, at least. I don't know crap about video cards):

Zotac GTX 465 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $169.99. $129.99, after MIR.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_p...edium=email&utm_campaign=E1027+eNews+20110412

Then today, I got an email from newegg about sales they have going on. I noticed that there was another 460 on sale, albeit an SE.

EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $149.99. $119.99, after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...x-_-DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14130591-L03C

For the price, which of these should I get? Any of them will be better than what I current have(Zotac 9600GT 1GB).

Hawk269

What is a good gaming headset that is wireless? I don't need it for audio purposes, just to talk with people while playing Rift/WoW etc.

Thanks!

ithorien

Hawk269 said:
What is a good gaming headset that is wireless? I don't need it for audio purposes, just to talk with people while playing Rift/WoW etc.

Thanks!

If you just want it for Vent purposes, get something that's like 10 bucks that fits well and is comfortable. If you want a good headset that'll give you more mileage, state your budget.

Hawk269

ithorien said:
If you just want it for Vent purposes, get something that's like 10 bucks that fits well and is comfortable. If you want a good headset that'll give you more mileage, state your budget.

I dont even know what Vent is??? Budget wise, I am willing to spend for a quality item, but I say no more that 80-100 bucks at the most and it must be wireless.

That thread posted above seems to be about 5.1 headphones etc. I am not looking to replace my surround sound system with headphones...I am just looking for a wireless headset to talk with friends while gaming. All I need coming out the headset speaker is the voice of the other players.

Would yall say that GTX 460 is the sweet spot in terms of budget/price/performance for right now? 300 bucks for HD 6950 is still pretty steep for a video card

comrade

J2d said:

Be prepared to spend close to $1000 on graphics cards alone to run Crysis on Enthusiast @ 60fps.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-3-way-sli-review/11

comrade

TheExodu5 said:
Gamer + Enthusiast shaders should be fine on a 6970.
My 2 6950's with shaders unlocked OC'd to 950/1400 doesn't even run Crysis on Enthusiast that great. =\

Crysis 2 I think my Android phone could run at 60fps.

TheExodu5

Banned
comrade said:
My 2 6950's with shaders unlocked OC'd to 950/1400 doesn't even run Crysis on Enthusiast that great. =\

My SLI GTX 570 runs Crysis 1 on Very High 1080p 4xAA at mostly 60fps...few drops to 45~50fps here or there, but runs great otherwise.

Can RAID 0 be setup even if one drive already has an OS installed? Just purchased another 64gb SSD so I'm hoping the answer is yes. SSD is the same brand and model. (Crucial)

comrade

TheExodu5 said:
My SLI GTX 570 runs Crysis 1 on Very High 1080p 4xAA at mostly 60fps...few drops to 45~50fps here or there, but runs great otherwise.
Yeah Very High it runs great. Enthusiast just seems to chug in some areas. Especially with AA.

Sanjay

TheExodu5 said:

Thought you would get a 60FPS lock with the SLI 570, I get mostly 60 and dips to 50 now and then with SLI 460.

scogoth

OG_Original Gamer said:
Can RAID 0 be setup even if one drive already has an OS installed? Just purchased another 64gb SSD so I'm hoping the answer is yes. SSD is the same brand and model. (Crucial)

Nope sorry.

Zeliard said:
Arctic Silver explains it here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Seems like they do still recommend it, since they updated their instructions for the 2nd gen Intel Core CPUs.

Not really necessary but it doesn't hurt anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
comrade said:
Yeah Very High it runs great. Enthusiast just seems to chug in some areas. Especially with AA.

Very High is as high as it goes. Enthusiast is equivalent to Very High.

Sanjay said:
Thought you would get a 60FPS lock with the SLI 570, I get mostly 60 and dips to 50 now and then with SLI 460.

You're going a lot lower than that if you're completely maxed out with 4xAA at 1080p.

It's almost always a 60fps lock, but some missions get slower at times. The mission where you blow up the tanker was 40-50 a lot of the time. The boat at the end went down to 30-40 in a lot of spots. The game tends to get more demanding as it goes on.

Ok so running dark sector I am getting

Are these safe load temps? Ran Prime95 like a champ last night OC'ing from 2.66 to 3.350. Unfortunately I moved the heatsink slightly when replacing the stock fan with one I bought yesterday. I rotated it a smallest bit. Should I go ahead and repaste it or am I okay? With chrome and a few other things on my highest core is 40C

scogoth

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok so running dark sector I am getting

Are these safe load temps? Ran Prime95 like a champ last night OC'ing from 2.66 to 3.350. Unfortunately I moved the heatsink slightly when replacing the stock fan with one I bought yesterday. I rotated it a smallest bit. Should I go ahead and repaste it or am I okay? With chrome and a few other things on my highest core is 40C

Small twist is fine, probably good as it works the paste out a little.

Omiee

Is there a reason why this is what im getting out of my ocz vortex 2

173ec4.png

is it me or this a horrible score? i thought i should be doing 200mb read and write. How can i fix this, or what could be wrong?

Comments on my planned upgrade this May?

Proc: AMD Phenom II X4 840 (3.2 ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2
Memory: 2x2GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600 (CL9)
Casing: Thermaltake V4(no psu)
Mouse (lol): A4tech X5-70MD Optical

It'll cost me $310. I'll get them next month. I'm upgrading from these:

Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6GHz)
AsRock N68PV-GS
1x2GB Kingston DDR2 800

I'm still keeping my Palit 9600GT Sonic DDR3 because I'm still fine with its performance. I'll upgrade it when BF3 arrives late this year... probably with a GTX 460.

I'm replacing my 2003 old Saxton casing with temp monitor that I never use, since it's getting a bit rusty now. Gonna need to replace my mouse because it's broken; it keeps on double clicking.

I have a 550W HEC PSU and a Powercom 650VA UPS plus a 21" LCD. The PSU and UPS should be enough right?

One strange thing is that the product page for the mobo says that it only supports up to DDR3 1333, but the memory compatibility list says it's okay to use the DDR3 1600 variant for the mem I'm buying.

Omiee said:

*image*

is it me or this a horrible score? i thought i should be doing 200mb read and write. How can i fix this, or what could be wrong?

Is your drive 25nm? The new smaller NAND size can't reach the same write speeds as the 34nm variants of the Vertex 2.

Also don't forget SSD performance does degrade over time before picking back up again. Benchmark apps in particular degrade performance on drives with sandforce controllers.

And make sure you're using AHCI.

picked up a new ssd on the overclocking sites sale. i currently have a 790i ultra mobo and have plugged it all in on windows 7 using ide mode (cant use ahci it seems on this board?)

newssd.jpg

thats more or less what i should expect?

Ryuuga

Banned
I have a few question regarding a monitor purchase I'm about to make:

Monitor purpose: Gaming, Digital Art/Editing, Movies, Browsing
Price range: $300 ~ $400 CAD

1) Should I get an IPS model over a TN panel display?

If IPS:
What should I look for that'd be more suitable for gaming?

I know IPS models have slower response times and that could lead to ghosting, but is it a good trade-off for the IQ advantage IPS has over TN?

If TN
Should I bother with a model that has 3D capabilities?

Both:
What are the best monitors I can get at 24"~ ?

Should it be LED-backlight?

Are there any 16:10 monitors left on the market?

knitoe

DeadRockstar said:
Is your drive 25nm? The new smaller NAND size can't reach the same write speeds as the 34nm variants of the Vertex 2.

Also don't forget SSD performance does degrade over time before picking back up again. Benchmark apps in particular degrade performance on drives with sandforce controllers.

And make sure you're using AHCI.
Looks like the new slower drives. I have been trying to tell people to stay away from old OCZ SSDs after they switch from 34nm to much slower 25nm chips. The newer Vertex 3 are fine because they were designed with 25nm chips in mind.

And, I am pretty sure you want to leave 20-30% of the drive free so the drive can move data to keep it in top shape. Having 96% of the drive full is not a good idea.

Zinga

Banned
Ryuuga said:

If IPS:

I know IPS models have slower response times and that could lead to ghosting, but is it a good trade-off for the IQ advantage IPS has over TN?

If TN

Both:

If you want a good IPS monitors just go with Dell's U2411 or U2711, best value for money imo for incredible displays

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Omiee said:

173ec4.png

Check if you are using one of the new, slower drives. OCZ is running a voluntary exchange program.

knitoe

Ryuuga said:

If IPS:

If TN

Both:

If all you care for is gaming, get TN panel.

If you care about image quality, accurate color reproduction, viewing angles and etc., get a IPS panel. As for which one, Dell is popular brand.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Omiee said:
Your numbers are a bit off from my Vertex 2

Seq - 208.7MB Read / 92.66MB Write
512k - 192.9MB Read / 106.9MB Write

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom