• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Hli1El.jpg

giant f'ing card!

ithorien

Syphon Filter said:
Hey guys, i am going to be building a new PC next month for the first time. What do you think about this build? Let me know if it's all compatible and overall a good build.

Definitely recommend the AX750 instead, if you can spare the extra 20.

And speaking of- installed the AX750, no chirping at all like on the HX750. Installs a little easier because of the ATX/12V plugs being modular as well, much much happier with it.

Everything's settled now, super happy with the build. It's running right now and I can barely hear it.

knitoe

eznark said:
Son of a bitch, are there different Coolermaster Hyper 212+'s? Seems like this one isn't compatible with LGA1155?

Nope. On the X arms, make sure you use the middle notch for fitting the LGA1155 socket.

R2D4

Banned
eznark said:
Son of a bitch, are there different Coolermaster Hyper 212+'s? Seems like this one isn't compatible with LGA1155?

I think the instructions might just say LGA1156. It's the same socket basically.

ithorien said:
Definitely recommend the AX750 instead, if you can spare the extra 20.

And speaking of- installed the AX750, no chirping at all like on the HX750. Installs a little easier because of the ATX/12V plugs being modular as well, much much happier with it.

Everything's settled now, super happy with the build. It's running right now and I can barely hear it.

ok but what about the AX or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

ithorien

Syphon Filter said:

Corsair man myself, but people say good things about Seasonic. And it's 30 off with promo, which will put it at $20 less than the Corsair one.

One thing I really liked about AX though, has 8 holes in the back for mounting to the case, so you have flexibility in the back. Not a big deal, but just one of those small things.

ithorien said:
Corsair man myself, but people say good things about Seasonic. And it's 30 off with promo, which will put it at $20 less than the Corsair one.

One thing I really liked about AX though, has 8 holes in the back for mounting to the case, so you have flexibility in the back. Not a big deal, but just one of those small things.

ok but you said the HX makes a chirp sound? is that a problem for all of them?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

eznark

Banned
Thanks guys, I figured it out. Next question...where do you put your SSD drives?

Also, better placement for the three slot GPU, bottom three or top three slots?

Omiee

eznark said:
Hli1El.jpg

giant f'ing card!

i LOVED that card, i used to have a 470 with idle temps of 55 or something and that baby ( 6950 version ) was idle at 35 or something.
but i had to sell it to get 2 msi 6950's
asus was 280 euro and the msi were reduced one week for 180 a piece.

Sanic

Corky said:
Hmm

There are still some things we can do.

1) Try another kind of benchmark that can give you a separate Gpu-score ( like Vantage ) as mentioned earlier a 3dmark06 score can fluctuate heavily depending on the cpu.

2) Also you should download the latest version of for example nvidia inspector so you can use the built in monitoring software to ascertain that your gpu is actually running at 100% usage during these benchmarks. While also giving you the temps. For example if your gpus usage is less than 100% or the temps are off the charts then obviously something is wrong.

3) If it turns out that you get a gpu-score that is indicative of what you "should" have, yet the ingame performance feels jittery and "lowfps" you can ( should ) download d3doverrider and enable triplebuffering.

All of these 3 steps are semi-painless ( compared to formats and RMAs ) so I suggest to go for it and get closer to the issue.

I haven't done any benchmarking yet, but:

Forcing triple buffering with d3doverider hasn't really made much of a difference. GPU usage is interesting though. In JC2 (all i've tested so far) GPU usage fluctuates between 61%-95% when exploring the island and staying away from buildings. However, when facing buildings, which is when performance drops, I get a steady and consistent 56% GPU usage.

Seventh

I'm having a small problem with my graphics card.

Today my 5850 started making a fairly loud "whirring" sound while idle. When I turn my computer on, at first it doesn't always make the noise. However, it will start after 5 minutes or so, and it doesn't go away. I tried cleaning out the dust in my case, but that didn't fix it. I left it idling for about an hour at 21% fan speed, and the temperature stayed at about 40C the whole time.

Other than the noise, it seems to be working fine. I haven't played any games today, but I was playing TF2 yesterday with no problems. It's a XFX brand card, so it's probably still under warranty if I need to replace it, but I'd rather not have to deal with that if I don't have to. Does anyone know what may be wrong, or how to fix it? Or should I just go ahead and get it replaced?

ithorien

Syphon Filter said:
ok but you said the HX makes a chirp sound? is that a problem for all of them?

No that was a case with most likely a bad PSU. I went with the AX instead for full modular plugs.

eznark said:
Thanks guys, I figured it out. Next question...where do you put your SSD drives?

SSDs go where you want, if it doesn't come with an adapter, your case might have one.

I would think top slots so there's nothing in near proximity to the fans, but that's just me.

Zimbardo said:
anyone have an ideas as to what a nice, stable, 24/7 overclock on an i5 760 should be in the neighborhood of?

i've seen a lot of people pushing to 4ghz and stuff ...but i'm not sure if that's just for benchmarking.

i'm thinking that 3.6 and 3.8ghz would be easily attained for 24/7 overclock.

cooling = noctua d14.

any suggestions?

This was already commented on, but to chime in, the real answer is that it varies from chip to chip. Reading through an overclock.net thread on the 760, I found many people who just couldn't push it to 3.8 GHz, while others could get it to 4.2 or higher. Some chips just reach their limit earlier than others, some require more voltage to reach a particular clock, some less, and some just run hotter than others. My own 760 is at 4 GHz at a voltage of about 1.24, which is pretty low, but it runs fairly hot, right at the limit of where I'd want it (around 76-78 in Prime95). That's with a Hyper 212+ with a noctua fan at 1300rpm. Based on this review's benchmarks, it looks like the same cooling power that my exact set-up has is achievable with the D14 @ 900 rpm, so you should be good with the cooling part (also note that the my temps are made higher by me having gimped airflow a bit for more silence, with low rpm exhaust and block off top exhaust in my P183).

As far as what's safe for constant use, as long as you don't go crazy with the voltage and keep temperature in check, then if it's stable then it's good. 3.6 is a good initial target, and then see what you can do. I'd suggest keeping voltage under 1.3, or better yet, 1.28, while keeping load temps if possible at 73 or below. You can probably get away with a few degrees higher though, as nothing in reality will push the CPU like a stress-test program will, it depends on how comfortable you feel with it.

TheExodu5

Banned
eznark said:

The drive may come with an adapter, or your case might have an adapter. If not, then put it anywhere, really. I screwed mine to the grill holes on the bottom of my case when I had the CM 690. Before that, I suspended it with elastic, but one of the 4 elastics dried out after a year.

scogoth

SteveO409 said:
Quick question on ordering a GPU for my PC, is this motherboard compatible with a 6870? Motherboard spec says "Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards" but the graphics card has "PCI Express 2.1 x16".

motherboard i7 2600 quad core:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&site=null&key=null&product=5060997#N169

graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909&cm_re=6870-_-14-102-909-_-Product

Its fine.

eznark said:

Top slot, bottom slot is 4x speed, middle is 8x speed and top slot is 16x speed. Unless you have a nf200 board in which case we take you out back and..... take all that excess money you have.

eznark

Banned
I was just typing in how well everything worked out when bam! blue screen. Seems like it might be running a little hot? I haven't done any overclocking or anything (haven't even gotten my ninite stuff downloaded yet!) and my temps are 39's across the boards. I have the 212+ installed, but obviously am worried about the paste...who isn't?

Hawk269

eznark said:
I was just typing in how well everything worked out when bam! blue screen. Seems like it might be running a little hot? I haven't done any overclocking or anything (haven't even gotten my ninite stuff downloaded yet!) and my temps are 39's across the boards. I have the 212+ installed, but obviously am worried about the paste...who isn't?

Wait, you were running prime, and you hit a max of 39c and it crashed? I would think that there is something else causing the crash cause 39c is not high by any means.

eznark

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Wait, you were running prime, and you hit a max of 39c and it crashed? I would think that there is something else causing the crash cause 39c is not high by any means.
No no, I hadn't done anything yet. I was just downloading programs like firefox and steam, the new system essentials ya know. Started installing crysis 2 at the same time and it blue screened.

How do I do these...tests?

Hawk269

What is the big differences between the Noctua Coolers and the H212+. I know there is about $40-$50 price difference, but is the Noctua that much better than the 212+? I am just looking for the best Air Cooler I can get and if that mean spending a little bit more for better performance, then I dont mind. But if I will only see marginal gains by switching, I might as well stay with the 212+.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not 100% sure what the defacto RAM tester is these days. Maybe memtest86+?

RAM is the first thing I would check.

Hawk269 said:
What is the big differences between the Noctua Coolers and the H212+. I know there is about $40-$50 price difference, but is the Noctua that much better than the 212+? I am just looking for the best Air Cooler I can get and if that mean spending a little bit more for better performance, then I dont mind. But if I will only see marginal gains by switching, I might as well stay with the 212+.

The Hyper 212+ performs nearly as well as the DH-14. The main difference is noise levels. If you're not overly bothered by a little bit of noise (which is still no louder than the stock cooler), then don't bother with the Noctua. I only recommend it to those who are focusing on a quiet build.

Hawk269

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not 100% sure what the defacto RAM tester is these days. Maybe memtest86+?

RAM is the first thing I would check.

The Hyper 212+ performs nearly as well as the DH-14. The main difference is noise levels. If you're not overly bothered by a little bit of noise (which is still no louder than the stock cooler), then don't bother with the Noctua. I only recommend it to those who are focusing on a quiet build.

Thanks Exodus. Noise does not bother me that much since I game with my 5.1 surround sound system, once I am in a game, I dont even hear the PC.

Omiee

TheExodu5 said:
Mid 70s should be your upper limit.

Running 3.3 ghz at max 44 right now, im going to see what temps will be with 4.5
Sure is better than my temps with my i5 760 on stock cooler.

Anyhow i have a hyper 212 but the noise is killing me, what is more quite, a h50 a silver arrow or a noctua nd4

TheExodu5

Banned
Not sure what Noctua you meant to say there....the DH-14 is certainly quiet. I have the Thermalright Venomous X and it's really quiet as well with 2x 800RPM fans.

scogoth

eznark said:
So how should I do prime95? Is it something I run then go to bed and see how it went?

Do it for 15-20 min while awake to make sure nothing is roasting and if you want to do a marathon test you can run it overnight. You really don't need a 24 hour test unless you're running really high OC and want to be absolutely sure its stable.

Omiee said:
Running 3.3 ghz at max 44 right now, im going to see what temps will be with 4.5
Sure is better than my temps with my i5 760 on stock cooler.

Anyhow i have a hyper 212 but the noise is killing me, what is more quite, a h50 a silver arrow or a noctua nd4

I have a noctua nh-d14 and its very quiet and very cool, but its huge. Just want to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Lastly what are peoples preferred temp monitoring software? I use realtemp and have used coretemp in the past but intel extreme tuning util shows 5-10 degrees cooler then realtemp.

Need some GPU advice for a new 2500k based system I'm putting together.

One option is SLI'ing 2 GTX 460 768mb. These will end up costing me $150 or $210 depending on whether some questionable dual mail-in rebates work out for me.

The other option is buying a single 6870 ($180ish) or possibly a 1gb 6950 ($230ish), and maybe xfireing somewhere down the line. Don't have enough money to buy 2 right now.

What do you guys think? In the case of the 460s, I'm a little worried about sinking money into technology that's ~18 months old, especially since they're only 768mb. However, especially given the strong OCing ability of the 460s, from benchmarks I've seen, it appears that they are going to be by far my best bang for the buck. Especially if I end up getting both for only $150...

I'll be gaming at 1920x1080, btw.

Omiee

TheExodu5 said:
Not sure what Noctua you meant to say there....the DH-14 is certainly quiet. I have the Thermalright Venomous X and it's really quiet as well with 2x 800RPM fans.

Yeah thats the one i ment the one with the ugly fans, can i install 2 of these on it

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/237713/xigmatek-xlf-f1453-led-fan-140mm-140mm.html#tab:info

or on a silver arrow, or is the reason why its so quit because of those fans?

And i know its huge, i have a HAF X now ( freaking love the case ) so it should be oke, but the noise of the hyper 212 is pretty loud.

I did a check ( only for 10 min but still ) but on 4.5ghz the temps are 55, im realy proud of this cheap cooler that performs realy well.

scogoth

unagisensei said:
Need some GPU advice for a new 2500k based system I'm putting together.

One option is SLI'ing 2 GTX 460 768mb. These will end up costing me $150 or $210 depending on whether some questionable dual mail-in rebates work out for me.

The other option is buying a single 6870 ($180ish) or possibly a 1gb 6950 ($230ish), and maybe xfireing somewhere down the line. Don't have enough money to buy 2 right now.

What do you guys think? In the case of the 460s, I'm a little worried about sinking money into technology that's ~18 months old, especially since they're only 768mb. However, especially given the strong OCing ability of the 460s, from benchmarks I've seen, it appears that they are going to be by far my best bang for the buck. Especially if I end up getting both for only $150...

I'll be gaming at 1920x1080, btw.

You don't need sli or crossfire for 1920x1080 unless you're doing 3D. One 6950 is more then enough to power games at that resolution for the next year and a bit.

Omiee said:
Yeah thats the one i ment the one with the ugly fans, can i install 2 of these on it

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/237713/xigmatek-xlf-f1453-led-fan-140mm-140mm.html#tab:info

And i know its huge, i have a HAF X now ( freaking love the case ) so it should be oke, but the noise of the hyper 212 is pretty loud.

I did a check ( only for 10 min but still ) but on 4.5ghz the temps are 55, im realy proud of this cheap cooler that performs realy well.

Don't buy the NH-D14 to replace the fans, a lot of what you are paying for is the quiet efficient noctua fans. The inner fan is a 140mmx25mm fan but with 120mm mounting holes so not sure if you want to replace that with a 120mm fan.

TheExodu5

Banned
Omiee said:

Well since your temps are low, you could just try running two slow fans on the Hyper 212+. Not sure if you have a second clip or not. If temps are too high, then just buy a Thermalright Venomous X and stick the fans on there.

knitoe

scogoth said:
Lastly what are peoples preferred temp monitoring software? I use realtemp and have used coretemp in the past but intel extreme tuning util shows 5-10 degrees cooler then realtemp.
RealTemp and HWmonitor. When taking pics, HWmonitor is a must because it shows min / max voltages and temps.

Omiee

TheExodu5 said:
Well since your temps are low, you could just try running two slow fans on the Hyper 212+. Not sure if you have a second clip or not. If temps are too high, then just buy a Thermalright Venomous X and stick the fans on there.

I dont think the temps are high, i mean 55 degrees for 4.5ghz is pretty good but yeah the sound is a bit irritating.
What fans are good for cpu coolers that have a 4 pin cable and are quit.

Omiee said:

Considering you're getting pretty good temps right now, another option is just to get a quieter fan for your 212+. At the same volume level, temps would probably be higher than with a D14, but you've got a lot of headroom. I'd recommend something that can get to 1200 rpm or so to provide enough cooling. Especially go for this if you can get a fan somewhere that accepts returns in case you're not satisfied. No real point in paying big money for a D14 unless the quiet fan doesn't cool well enough.

[edit] Beaten. . . Anyway, you may also want to see if your motherboard can control fan speeds by voltage. I know my Asus motherboard's chassis fans (3-pins) can be controlled, so the RPM is lower and thus quieter at idle vs when the CPU heats up during gaming. Suggesting this because I think it's easier to find quiet 3-pin fans than quiet PWM fans.

Omiee

i wish there was a way to remove the hard disk bay in the haf x, i removed the ones im not using but still. I saw the corsair 650D can be removed.
But love the black inside.

eznark

post pics of the finished build.

Kurashima said:
Considering you're getting pretty good temps right now, another option is just to get a quieter fan for your 212+. At the same volume level, temps would probably be higher than with a D14, but you've got a lot of headroom. I'd recommend something that can get to 1200 rpm or so to provide enough cooling. Especially go for this if you can get a fan somewhere that accepts returns in case you're not satisfied. No real point in paying big money for a D14 unless the quiet fan doesn't cool well enough.

yeah to be honest im pretty happy with the hyper, the temps are good and it was 22 euro while the noctua is 68 euro without shipping.
So what fans can you recommend?
Would it help if i got 2 800rpm fans and ran them in push pull?
Would that make it much quiter but not lose to much on the cooling side.

clav

scogoth said:
Agreed, memtest and prime95. Did it bsod as soon as you booted or after the os loaded?
Windows Memory Diagnostic works well, too. I've ran into some cases that memtest86 didn't pick up while windows memory tester did.

Comes installed with Windows Vista and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom