• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Do you by any chance remember the error text on the blue screen? If it's something like "IRQ LESS THAN EQUAL", then I'm pretty positive it's the CPU.

What happens with a blue screen is that some data is getting corrupted somewhere down the line, either in memory or in the CPU, and when it comes back to the CPU, the CPU can't make sense of it and doesn't know what to do with it. The result is a blue screen.

Pretty sure that wasn't the message. Also, it hasn't blue screened since last night. Now it's just restarting, but it is lasting longer than it did before I removed the bad memory.

Before I removed the one stick, it would lock up immediately when I started Prime95. With just the one stick in, Prime ran for about 10 minutes before restarting (not a blue screen, just a restart).

Quadratic

I just pulled the trigger on a SSD. Intel 320 160GB I was wondering what guides I should be looking at to maxmize the drive. I'm only running SATA II and I was not feeling the reliability of the OCZ drives even though they are cheaper.

eznark

Banned
Corky said:
Yea check your voltage and timings, also run more than two passes of memtest

How many do you suggest? Since I have to send both sticks back together I figured there is no point in testing it further.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Ok, I know I asked a few pages back but I'll ask again since I'm ready to buy today. I currently have a 4870 512mb looking to upgrade. I have $200 (like max, I can't really go over) to spend on a new card. Whats the best I can get? Is it still the 6850 1GB?

Also, if it makes any difference. My CPU is a Phenom II x4 Black Ed. 3.4GHz with 4GB DDR3 Ram.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey guys, just need some opinions about a video card.

There is the Geforce GTS 450 1gb GDDR5 sold for 160$, usually at 190$ but i can save 30$ if i buy before April 21st
Futureshop link here

I currently have a Geforce 9800gt 1gb (think its GDDR3) and was wondering if this video card would be a good decision, if the difference in power is worth the price.

scogoth

ShdwDrake said:
Ok, I know I asked a few pages back but I'll ask again since I'm ready to buy today. I currently have a 4870 512mb looking to upgrade. I have $200 (like max, I can't really go over) to spend on a new card. Whats the best I can get? Is it still the 6850 1GB?

Also, if it makes any difference. My CPU is a Phenom II x4 Black Ed. 3.4GHz with 4GB DDR3 Ram.

Yes that system will work well together.

Bisnic said:
Hey guys, just need some opinions about a video card.

There is the Geforce GTS 450 1gb GDDR5 sold for 160$, usually at 190$ but i can save 30$ if i buy before April 21st
Futureshop link here

I currently have a Geforce 9800gt 1gb (think its GDDR3) and was wondering if this video card would be a good decision, if the difference in power is worth the price.

No, no, no and no. Never ever buy from future shop. 9800gt perfroms the same as a gts450.

ShdwDrake

Banned
scogoth said:
Yes you that system will work well together.

Yeah it works great now. I can max out most games I play already I wouldn't care about a new card if i didnt have to have it manually override the fan so it'll even come on lol

So 6850 it is!

scogoth

eznark said:
The timings could be off even if I didn't change anything in bios at all?

I appreciate the help, by the way.

Its easy, just check what timings were advertised (on the box, on the receipt) and what the timings are set as in bios. Do you have an ASUS board? Try using the memOK! button which should try to fix any memory problems automatically.

eznark

Banned
scogoth said:
Its easy, just check what timings were advertised (on the box, on the receipt) and what the timings are set as in bios. Do you have an ASUS board? Try using the memOK! button which should try to fix any memory problems automatically.

Yup, will do.

In the meantime, I moved the one stick to the B1 slot and am running the Prime95 test that is light on the RAM. Been running for 20 minutes, passed the first test (8K) and is still going. Next I am going to put the memory back into the A1 slot, see if it can run Prime. Maybe I just got two bad sticks.

The fact that I'm able to run the minimum RAM test in Prime95 probably means that it's a RAM issue, correct?

Bisnic

scogoth said:
No, no, no and no. Never ever buy from future shop. 9800gt perfroms the same as a gts450.

Why? Is it because they sell video cards at a higher price than they should?

Quadratic

Bisnic said:
Why? Is it because they sell video cards at a higher price than they should?

You answered your own question. Is there a reason you need to go to a brick and mortar store instead of buying from one of the Canadian PC retailers listed in the OP?

scogoth

eznark said:
Yup, will do.

In the meantime, I moved the one stick to the B1 slot and am running the Prime95 test that is light on the RAM. Been running for 20 minutes, passed the first test (8K) and is still going. Next I am going to put the memory back into the A1 slot, see if it can run Prime. Maybe I just got two bad sticks.

The fact that I'm able to run the minimum RAM test in Prime95 probably means that it's a RAM issue, correct?

Most likely, hopefully it is so you can get new sticks and on with gaming.

Quadratic said:
You answered your own question. Is there a reason you need to go to a brick and mortar store instead of buying from one of the Canadian PC retailers listed in the OP?

The canadian etailer NCIX even has brick and mortar stores to even less reason to go to best buy/future shop.

eznark

Banned
scogoth said:
Most likely, hopefully it is so you can get new sticks and on with gaming.

Torture Test completed 36 tests in 32 minutes, 0 errors, 0 warnings.

Gonna try running the more memory intensive one now. If it passes again it's probably a mother board issues with A1...at least that would seem to be logical?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
eznark said:
How many do you suggest? Since I have to send both sticks back together I figured there is no point in testing it further.

I don't really know how many one should run, but you should atleast let it go for a couple of hours. If you really want exclude the memory as the culprit that is.

Bisnic

What would be a great upgrade and for a decent price if i have a 9800gt then?

I don't really want to pay more than 150-160$, is there something like that for a good upgrade in performance? I'll go check NCIX or NewEgg later.

scogoth

eznark said:
Timing was set at 9-9-9-28 in the bios. Timing on the RAM itself says 9-9-9-24. Would that be an issue potentially?

No that wouldn't be the issue.

Bisnic said:
What would be a great upgrade and for a decent price if i have a 9800gt then?

I don't really want to pay more than 150-160$, is there something like that for a good upgrade in performance? I'll go check NCIX or NewEgg later.

GTX460 1GB

eznark

Banned
Seems like it's both sticks that are bad. Damn, now to wait another week+ on newegg.....

screw it. RMA'd as a return since I got a 20% off memory from microcenter in an email the other day. Will pick some up this evening.

Leonsito

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC, currently I have a E6600, 2GB DDR2 800, ASUS P5B Deluxe, and my GPU is a XFX GTS 250.

I want to put a new GPU first (GTX 460 seems like a good option), but I'm thinking if it would be worth keeping the rest of the computer or doing a full upgrade ..

ithorien

Leonsito said:
I'm thinking of upgrading my PC, currently I have a E6600, 2GB DDR2 800, ASUS P5B Deluxe, and my GPU is a XFX GTS 250.

I want to put a new GPU first (GTX 460 seems like a good option), but I'm thinking if it would be worth keeping the rest of the computer or doing a full upgrade ..

Your GPU is furthest along than the rest of the PC IMO, so I'd honestly just do the whole thing over. If you get a new GPU, everything else is a bottleneck. If you get new mobo/cpu/ram, the GPU is the bottleneck.

Corky

ithorien said:
Your GPU is further along than the rest of the PC IMO, so I'd honestly just do the whole thing over. If you get a new GPU, everything else is a bottleneck. If you get new mobo/cpu/ram, the GPU is the bottleneck.

Yeah, to be honest it feels like the only time where it might be worth it to keep your old stuff is when you're doing a relatively quick upgrade from parts that aren't that old. Otherwise, just like you said, things are going to get bottlenecked.

Xenon

Ok I have a friend who after dropping $3000 on a bleeding edge monstrosity, against my advice of course, wants to buy a good pre-built gaming rig. He said he's willing to spend 2K But I think thats a wast of $$$. Any suggestion for a good one at $1200 or so?

Corky

Xenon said:
Ok I have a friend who after dropping $3000 on a bleeding edge monstrosity, against my advice of course, wants to buy a good pre-built gaming rig. He said he's willing to spend 2K But I think thats a wast of $$$. Any suggestion for a good one at $1200 or so?

I don't know the prices overseas but here's a shot in the dark :

i5 2500k
asus p67 motherboard
8gb of any householdbrand ddr3 ram
asus/msi gtx 570/hd 6970
1TB samsung spinpoint
650-750w psu
100$ Case
maybe SSD if budget allows
+ potential OS

There we go, a great pc for probably 1200$ ( I'm most likely wrong :( )

scogoth

TheExodu5 said:
After reading this review:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-silver-arrow_5.html

I think I would have to recommend the Silver Arrow over the DH-14 at this point. They're pretty close, but the Silver Arrow seems to edge it out a bit in terms of noise and cooling performance.

The only issue is that I'm not sure whether or not the 140mm fan up front might cause clearance issues with RAM.

Yeah the 120mm on the noctua is bad enough, 140mm fan might make clearance none existent.

Bisnic

scogoth said:
GTX460 1GB

Do you have one that you would suggest? When looking at newegg, it seems the 2 most popular are :

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit

and

EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

The EVGA have a little better memory and Asus have a little better chipset. The Asus one is a little more expensive, but i think i would trust Asus more than EVGA, which i never heard before. Unless you tell me that better GPU memory is more useful than a better chipset.

Also, what kind of power supply do these video cards need? Mine is a 500W.

scogoth

Corky said:

i5 2500k
asus p67 motherboard
asus/msi gtx 570/hd 6970
1TB samsung spinpoint
650-750w psu
100$ Case
+ potential OS

i5 2600k
asus p67 sabertooth motherboard
8gb of any 1600 ddr3 cas9 or less ram
ASUS DirectCU 580
1TB samsung spinpoint
750W Corsair Modular PSU
Corsair 650D
240GB Vertex 3
Preferred mouse/keyboard

If he's got the money these can we worthwhile upgrades.

Corky

scogoth said:
i5 2600k
asus p67 sabertooth motherboard
8gb of any 1600 ddr3 cas9 or less ram
ASUS DirectCU 580
1TB samsung spinpoint
750W Corsair Modular PSU
Corsair 650D
240GB Vertex 3
Preferred mouse/keyboard

If he's got the money these can we worthwhile upgrades.

all that for only 1200$? I need to get my ass to the states.

scogoth

Bisnic said:
Do you have one that you would suggest? When looking at newegg, it seems the 2 most popular are :

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit

and

EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

The EVGA have a little better memory and Asus have a little better chipset. The Asus one is a little more expensive, but i think i would trust Asus more than EVGA, which i never heard before. Unless you tell me that better GPU memory is more useful than a better chipset.

Also, what kind of power supply do these video cards need? Mine is a 500W.

If you can find a deal or rebate for a 460 1GB not SE edition in your budget thats the best. Don't get the SE its not the same card.

Xenon

Corky said:

i5 2500k
asus p67 motherboard
asus/msi gtx 570/hd 6970
1TB samsung spinpoint
650-750w psu
100$ Case
+ potential OS

Ok Thanks and for the upgrade options as well scogoth. One thing is he's looking for a SSD Hard disk. He still has his 10000 rpm raptors

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB hdd's and had to return both of them because they made loud clicking noises when they booted up or turned off. Then today I bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB hdd but returned it because it was noisy.
I've got a corsair p128 ssd for my OS & games and I keep my files on a 250gb hdd (both are dead silent). Now I'm just looking for a quiet (and reliable) 7200 rpm hdd to keep my data backups on (500gb-1TB). Any suggestions?

celcius said:
I bought 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB hdd's and had to return both of them because they made loud clicking noises when they booted up or turned off. Then today I bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB hdd but returned it because it was noisy.
I've got a 128gb ssd for my OS & games and I keep my files on a 250gb hdd (both are dead silent). Now I'm just looking for a quiet (and reliable) 7200 rpm hdd to keep my data backups on (500gb-1TB). Any suggestions?

Samsung Spinpoint F3

mkenyon

Banned
My spinpoints are really quiet. I use two in RAID0 for my games drive on my main rig which is located right at ear level. I can't hear any operation on them. The only comparison head-to-head I can make for them are WD Raptors, which are crazy loud.

2ymy71s.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
No no, 1.5V is the voltage rating. CAS is the latency. As in, they are completely different specifications that have little to do with each other. In this case, it just so happens that the higher voltage ram has a lower CAS latency. Check your mobo's specifications for what kind of RAM it likes. Generally, there will be a list of compatible memory sets. GSkill 1.5V rated RAM will work with almost all mobos.

element

I pulled the trigger today on a new CPU, Mobo, and RAM

i2500k
MSI P67A-C43
4 x 4GB G.SKILL 10666

Replaces my E7300 (oc'ed to 3.4GHz) with 4 GB of RAM.

Keeping my HDD and 460 GTX 1 GB. Should be a nice upgrade.

Thanks Newegg for the two $25.00 coupons today. I think I got a good deal for $454.94 total with shipping.

Next up is getting an SSD and consolidating my HDDs to larger ones (2 x 2TB). I have four drives in my machine currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom