• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omiee

eznark said:
Good lord memtest looks complicated...

Post pics of your setup, id love to see it.
Im going to post pics today, just need my fiancee to bring back the camera.

Also someone should update either the op or something with pics of every ones setup, like they do on that overclocking site.

TheExodu5

Banned
Omiee said:
Would it help if i got 2 800rpm fans and ran them in push pull?
Would that make it much quiter but not lose to much on the cooling side.

That would be my recommendation. I'm not sure about 4-pin fans though. I didn't really have any luck finding any. I just got 2x Thermalright 800RPM fans, which are equivalent to the Scythe S-Flex and Kamaflow that are often recommended (spec for spec the exact same thing, so I assume they're the same fans).

Omiee

TheExodu5 said:
That would be my recommendation. I'm not sure about 4-pin fans though. I didn't really have any luck finding any. I just got 2x Thermalright 800RPM fans, which are equivalent to the Scythe S-Flex and Kamaflow that are often recommended (spec for spec the exact same thing, so I assume they're the same fans).

And they are quite for you, can you actually hear them when your system is idle, i mean browsing internet and watching movie.
If yes, than im just going to get 2 800rpm fans.
Im actually surprised by the hyper, i was thinking it might go to the 60's maybe 70's but 56 was the max temp it had.
I might spend 5 euro on one of those special cooling tubes,

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

i saw a review of somebody who got his temps 5 degrees lower because off one of those tubes.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=16&id=97

Would these work, it has a 4 pin switch and it thermalright like you'rs
max rpm of 1300, i could also control it with my fan controller if needed.
I only need connectors for 140mm fans i guess.

If you are to use the TY-140 as your case fan, please make sure your socket has 120mm screw holes and from the edge of the screw holes to the edge of the case, there should be at least 23mm space.

Even better i can just use the 120mm fan connectors or what ever you call them, they gave you with the hyper

yeah to be honest im pretty happy with the hyper, the temps are good and it was 22 euro while the noctua is 68 euro without shipping.
So what fans can you recommend?
Would it help if i got 2 800rpm fans and ran them in push pull?
Would that make it much quiter but not lose to much on the cooling side.

I'm not an expert on fans (especially PWM fans), but for quiet 3-pins, I have both Scythe S-Flex and Noctua P12, and they're both decent. The Noctua's more expensive and is the quietest, but Scythe's not far behind in noise and gives a tad more cooling IMO.

And because you asked about noise levels, I find that in my quiet case, I can't hear my P12 at 600 rpm, but can definitely hear it 900 rpm (though it's pretty faint), and there's a definite whooshing noise at 1200 rpm. However, all you really hear is air being pushed, not fan motor noise. And at all levels, they will be far quieter than the stock fan at load.

Omiee

Kurashima said:
I'm not an expert on fans (especially PWM fans), but for quiet 3-pins, I have both Scythe S-Flex and Noctua P12, and they're both decent. The Noctua's more expensive and is the quietest, but Scythe's not far behind in noise and gives a tad more cooling IMO.

And because you asked about noise levels, I find that in my quiet case, I can't hear my P12 at 600 rpm, but can definitely hear it 900 rpm (though it's pretty faint), and there's a definite whooshing noise at 1200 rpm. However, all you really hear is air being pushed, not fan motor noise. And at all levels, they will be far quieter than the stock fan at load.

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/255702/fractal-design-silent-series-140mm-fan-140mm.html#tab:info

its max 800rpm and they say its 12db, should i trust it?

scogoth

eznark said:
Good lord memtest looks complicated...

Its not, put it in, boot from cd, let test run, wait.................... wait.......................... wait............................

If it doesn't show up any errors then you're fine.

Omiee

scogoth said:
Thats a 140mm fan, does the hyper 212+ have mounts for that? Pretty sure the mounts are for 120mm fans but I could be wrong.

Edit: Read your blurb about finding clips for 140mm but those thermaltakes will be just fine cause they have 120mm mounting holes.

yeah i edited my post after i found out that they have 120mm support.

And i watched a video on youtube off the sound and they are realy quit, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7a4wxkCE0

i think im getting them and just running both on 800rpm with my fan controller.

scogoth

knitoe said:
RealTemp and HWmonitor. When taking pics, HWmonitor is a must because it shows min / max voltages and temps.

Lol and HWmonitor shows different then coretemp/realtemp/IXTU. Trying to get a 4.2 on a 930 and its hard with the inconsistent temp readings. Guess I'll run all of them.

Edit: 200 blck fails.......

Omiee said:

To be honest (here comes a rant), I find relying on either db ratings or reviews to be total crapshoots. If you ever compare dB ratings between products you own, you'll probably see how meaningless they really are, probably because of differences in how companies/reviewers measure them, because they're "best-case" scenarios, or because people's tolerance for different kinds of sound are all different. Same in reviews, some people call things "silent" when they would be far and beyond louder than everything in my system.

Really, the best thing to do (beyond trying them out yourself!) is to base your decisions on what tons of people are saying (especially more hardcore quiet-pc enthusiasts like the people at silentpcreview.com) and hope for the best. For what it's worth, I've heard that the Fractal fans are pretty quiet, and most fans at 800rpm would be, and claiming a 12db rating IS pretty damned low, as most things marketed at a quiet level are said to be around 18-19 db. You'll want to see if the particular 140mm fan will fit the 212+ though, as it was designed for 120mm fans.

[edit]Thermalrights should be pretty good too. I think that's the fan that's on their Shaman GPU cooler, which I've heard good things about.

Omiee

Kurashima said:
To be honest (here comes a rant), I find relying on either db ratings or reviews to be total crapshoots. If you ever compare dB ratings between products you own, you'll probably see how meaningless they really are, probably because of differences in how companies/reviewers measure them, because they're "best-case" scenarios, or because people's tolerance for different kinds of sound are all different. Same in reviews, some people call things "silent" when they would be far and beyond louder than everything in my system.

Really, the best thing to do (beyond trying them out yourself!) is to base your decisions on what tons of people are saying (especially more hardcore quiet-pc enthusiasts like the people at silentpcreview.com) and hope for the best. For what it's worth, I've heard that the Fractal fans are pretty quiet, and most fans at 800rpm would be, and claiming a 12db rating IS pretty damned low, as most things marketed at a quiet level are said to be around 18-19 db. You'll want to see if the particular 140mm fan will fit the 212+ though, as it was designed for 120mm fans.

[edit]Thermalrights should be pretty good too. I think that's the fan that's on their Shaman GPU cooler, which I've heard good things about.

I think it should be fine since its just going to be like the noctua, where you can see the 140mm fan above the heatsink.
In the video they were pretty quit.
My cpu fan now is 800rpm as well on idle but it makes way to much noise.

scogoth

Omiee said:
I think it should be fine since its just going to be like the noctua, where you can see the 140mm fan above the heatsink.
In the video they were pretty quit.
My cpu fan now is 800rpm as well on idle but it makes way to much noise.

I don't see how at 800rpm its too loud. Friend of mine has the Hyper 212+ and runs the stock fan on full all the time cause its too quiet otherwise (he likes to know his comp is on). Even on full its almost inaudible.

Omiee

scogoth said:
I don't see how at 800rpm its too loud. Friend of mine has the Hyper 212+ and runs the stock fan on full all the time cause its too quiet otherwise (he likes to know his comp is on). Even on full its almost inaudible.

Well i can def hear my fan, and according to hwmonitor its at 800rpm at idle.
my pc next to me on my desk though lol. I can def hear the fan blowing.

ok nvm im an idiot, its the videocards that are making the sound, i have 2 6950's
i opened the case and put my hand on the fan to stop it and i could still hear the sound that was irritating me, so its coming from the lower part of the case so either the 2 videocards or its the powersupply, but i doubt the powersupply would make a noise that is higher than 20 db or something.
i guess i have to put my case under my desk

scogoth

Omiee said:
Well i can def hear my fan, and according to hwmonitor its at 800rpm at idle.
my pc next to me on my desk though lol. I can def hear the fan blowing.

ok nvm im an idiot, its the videocards that are making the sound, i have 2 6950's
i opened the case and put my hand on the fan to stop it and i could still hear the sound that was irritating me, so its coming from the lower part of the case so either the 2 videocards or its the powersupply, but i doubt the powersupply would make a noise that is higher than 20 db or something.
i guess i have to put my case under my desk

Lol yes two 6950s would make a fair bit of noise.

Omiee

scogoth said:
Lol yes two 6950s would make a fair bit of noise.

yeah and that sucks =( ah well, i only noticed them during times im browsing gaf without doing something else.
Thanks anyways, i dont think i will need any other fans, since these are barely making noise, its all videocards what you hear.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pandoracell said:
I haven't done any benchmarking yet, but:

Forcing triple buffering with d3doverider hasn't really made much of a difference. GPU usage is interesting though. In JC2 (all i've tested so far) GPU usage fluctuates between 61%-95% when exploring the island and staying away from buildings. However, when facing buildings, which is when performance drops, I get a steady and consistent 56% GPU usage.

Hmm this is weird, could you please check your cpuusage aswell? I haven't done that myself but I reckon you could open the taskmanager, play the game for a couple of minutes and then check the graph to see if your cpu is stressed a lot.

The reason I think this is weird is that JC2 is not only a demanding game but also quite gpu intensive ( like most other games in general ) so if anything a gtx 460 should be around 90-100% most of the time at the settings you mentioned.

One last thing, when you did your reformat and all that did you reroll to a set of older drivers? Or did you go for the 270 beta again?

edit : I have a faint memory of you already trying this but did you lower all the settings to see if you're somehow being bottlenecked by your cpu?

scogoth

Pandoracell said:
I haven't done any benchmarking yet, but:

Forcing triple buffering with d3doverider hasn't really made much of a difference. GPU usage is interesting though. In JC2 (all i've tested so far) GPU usage fluctuates between 61%-95% when exploring the island and staying away from buildings. However, when facing buildings, which is when performance drops, I get a steady and consistent 56% GPU usage.

Triple buffering won't magically make fps higher, only provide the steady gpu performance of double buffering without the downfalls of vsync, which increases response time and therefore input lag and therefore Exodu5's tag. Basically you don't have the performance hit caused by render ahead limits, the tearing of double buffering, or the response time increase of vsync but the benefits of everything.

Onto the GPU usage, this is just a theory but if you're staring at a building there is little geometry to be processed which would limit the GPU usage. Z-culling is a GPU method to limit rendering to only objects visible by the camera saving your GPU from rendering things not on screen. So if all you are doing is staring at a relatively simple object like a building the GPU would have low usage.

I have just cause 2 and I'll fire it up and do some testing on my 470s to see if I get a similar problem.

Edit: Read up on you're previous posts and sounds like vsync is forced on or something else causing that frame lock. So recap is bad performance (or seemingly bad) as its either 60fps/30fps, you reinstalled everything, tried different drivers, tried d3doverider still seeing bad performance.

I always check my Just cause 2 and GPU usage fluctuates from 60-100% on both my GPUs but everything setting maxed except ssao and always +60fps.

Friend had an issue with 5770 where it would frame lock to 60/45/30fps and ending up reinstalling the drivers a few times till it got back to normal but we never got to the root of the problem.

Really wish I could help you other then say check driver settings to see if vsync is on by default. What ever happened with that monitor driver that showed up for you?

scogoth

Omiee said:
one last question before i stop, and just contribute to this thread. Because the urge to update keeps growing for me. Iv only been a pc gamer for 2 years now but i have already upgraded 2 times.

Anyhow, how much difference will i see in games, watching movies and mutlitasking.
By going from kingston 1333 ddr3 4gb to a 8gb of this:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/271292/corsair-vengeance-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html#tab:info

Movies - none
gaming - minimal
multitasking - probably not much unless you multi task video editing, photoshop, or large databases

Cday

Banned
I don't think there's a game that even uses 3gb so none under gaming as well. Unless you're one of those "but I just have to be able to photoshop/watch videos/keep 60 tabs of internet open while I play games!" people. Ram is pretty cheap right now though so there's it's not a big deal to get 8gb.

Corky

I think tomshardware or another site did a test where they compared 2gb vs 4gb vs 8gb of ram and the results sure surprised me.

More often than not, 2gb and 8gb game you the "same" performance ingame ( barring loading times ) which I was not expecting.

Omiee

Corky said:
I think tomshardware or another site did a test where they compared 2gb vs 4gb vs 8gb of ram and the results sure surprised me.

More often than not, 2gb and 8gb game you the "same" performance ingame ( barring loading times ) which I was not expecting.

Might you have the link to it?

ithorien

Cday said:
I don't think there's a game that even uses 3gb so none under gaming as well. Unless you're one of those "but I just have to be able to photoshop/watch videos/keep 60 tabs of internet open while I play games!" people. Ram is pretty cheap right now though so there's it's not a big deal to get 8gb.

Yea that's totally me.

So after some tweaking yesterday, I think I've finally settled on this. Ran AIDA64 all night @4.7GHz with these settings. This morning bumped it to 4.8GHz and I'm gonna run it all day. Hopefully all will go well and then I can try to drop the voltage down a bit.

OC.jpg

Zinga

Banned
The speeds you can get out of those Sandy Bridge chips just amaze me, and to think I was proud of my 1055t OC'd to 4ghz! haha

Cheech

Fulleffect said:
build.jpg

current plan unless anyone has any changes for me, going to go with an x25 120gb, but they're out of stock atm :(

The HAF 922 is a good case, VERY easy to work in, but I would not want one myself. There is a massive vent on the top of the case that is meant for a large fan, and if you're not going to put one in, you're going to hear EVERYTHING inside that case. It is not quiet in the slightest.

That said, I loved building a PC with it. Cable management is supremely easy, you will have a very nice looking build when you're done with minimal effort. Still, it's noisy.

eznark

Banned
scogoth said:
Its not, put it in, boot from cd, let test run, wait.................... wait.......................... wait............................

If it doesn't show up any errors then you're fine.

Thanks. Something is definitely not fine though. I didn't want to mess with that last night so I decided to play some Crysis 2 for a bit to see how long it would run. About 25 minutes or so before hard restarting. It didn't blue screen though.

Same thing just happened this morning, almost immediately when I started the Prime95 test.

eznark

Banned
Ok, so it rebooted while running memtest. About 77% done.

Failed again with another test. I'm going to try testing the sticks one at a time.

PhiLonius

Wondering if someone could help me with this problem I've been having.

It might be the same as eznark's above but I'm not too sure. I put together the $600 build from the OP and it worked fine for about three weeks. But for about the past two weeks it's been randomly restarting. Sometimes it happens when I plug something into a USB port or plug in some headphones, when I'm surfing the web or playing a game, sometimes it does it when it's just sitting there. Sometimes it gets stuck/freezes as soon as I turn it on. When this happens I either have to unplug the DVI cord or all the USB devices to get it to actually boot up or if that doesn't work, the only thing I can do is turn it off from the back.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be or what I can do to narrow it down and figure it out?

Wrapped up my friend's build. Got his 2500k to 4.0 GHz stable at 1.20v with stock cooling (70c load). Do you think he has a good chip, or is that about average for overclocking potential? A real shame he wanted to go cheap on the cooler. I am left wondering just how far I could have taken it.

Overclocking is ridiculously easy now with Sandy Bridge. No reason why anyone shouldn't try it, even with stock coolers.

eznark

Banned
Ok, so I tested them a stick at a time. First one crapped out pretty quickly, second one made it through two full tests before I exited. That's good news, right? Just need to RMA the memory?

Corky

eznark said:
Ok, so I tested them a stick at a time. First one crapped out pretty quickly, second one made it through two full tests before I exited. That's good news, right? Just need to RMA the memory?

yeap, RMA them and hope for a speedy return. And yeah man good news, feels great to pinpoint the root of Bsods and the like.

eznark

Banned
Fuck. So I ram prime95 and it restarted (not a blue screen, just a restart) after like 10 minutes. Temps were around 48-52 between the cores.

I'm at a total loss now

mkenyon

Banned
eznark said:
Fuck. So I ram prime95 and it restarted (not a blue screen, just a restart) after like 10 minutes. Temps were around 48-52 between the cores.

I'm at a total loss now

The data to get to your proc for Prime 95 needs to go through your RAM. Put a new set in, see how it runs.

eznark

Banned
mkenyon said:
The data to get to your proc for Prime 95 needs to go through your RAM. Put a new set in, see how it runs.

I have the one 4 gig stick that passed two tests in right now, figured I should stress test everything else as well...no good.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Can someone recommend me a good video card in the $100 range? I'm looking at a Radeon 5770 (does it make a difference if it's DDR3 or 5?) Or any other recommendations?

ithorien

Outdoor Miner said:
Wrapped up my friend's build. Got his 2500k to 4.0 GHz stable at 1.20v with stock cooling (70c load). Do you think he has a good chip, or is that about average for overclocking potential? A real shame he wanted to go cheap on the cooler. I am left wondering just how far I could have taken it.

Overclocking is ridiculously easy now with Sandy Bridge. No reason why anyone shouldn't try it, even with stock coolers.

I'd say it's hard to tell. It'd be a gamble to say "it's a good chip" and have him spring for a better fan in hopes of overclock.

When you say cheap though, what's cheap? My 2500k runs 4.4 (I think 1.325v) with the 212+, 68C at full load (Prime), and that cooler is 30 dollars.

scogoth

PhiLonius said:
Wondering if someone could help me with this problem I've been having.

It might be the same as eznark's above but I'm not too sure. I put together the $600 build from the OP and it worked fine for about three weeks. But for about the past two weeks it's been randomly restarting. Sometimes it happens when I plug something into a USB port or plug in some headphones, when I'm surfing the web or playing a game, sometimes it does it when it's just sitting there. Sometimes it gets stuck/freezes as soon as I turn it on. When this happens I either have to unplug the DVI cord or all the USB devices to get it to actually boot up or if that doesn't work, the only thing I can do is turn it off from the back.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be or what I can do to narrow it down and figure it out?

Go into device manager make sure all drivers are present and correct, dl hwmonitor, prime95 and memtest. Run memtest to eliminate memory problems. Then run prime95 under stress test mode while having hwmonitor open and track the CPU temps.

eznark said:

I'm at a total loss now

Are you running an oc? If your voltage isn't stable and your ocing your cpu your system can randomly restart like that.

eznark

Banned
What is the difference between the blue modular inputs and the black modular inputs on the Corsair HX850? Is there one?

I'm kind of going back over everything to see where I made assumptions that perhaps I shouldn't have. I've changed the sata inputs to be using all the 6gb/s slots and now I am looking at how the PSU is set up and realize I did it all willy nilly basically.

scogoth

eznark said:
What is the difference between the blue modular inputs and the black modular inputs on the Corsair HX850? Is there one?

I'm kind of going back over everything to see where I made assumptions that perhaps I shouldn't have. I've changed the sata inputs to be using all the 6gb/s slots and now I am looking at how the PSU is set up and realize I did it all willy nilly basically.

Read the manual

Edit: Blue ends are plugged into the psu and the blue sockets are for PCIe Power. The black are for molex/sata connectors.

TheExodu5

Banned
Do you by any chance remember the error text on the blue screen? If it's something like "IRQ LESS THAN EQUAL", then I'm pretty positive it's the CPU.

What happens with a blue screen is that some data is getting corrupted somewhere down the line, either in memory or in the CPU, and when it comes back to the CPU, the CPU can't make sense of it and doesn't know what to do with it. The result is a blue screen.

scogoth

TheExodu5 said:
Do you by any chance remember the error text on the blue screen? If it's something like "IRQ LESS THAN EQUAL", then I'm pretty positive it's the CPU.

What happens with a blue screen is that some data is getting corrupted somewhere down the line, either in memory or in the CPU, and when it comes back to the CPU, the CPU can't make sense of it and doesn't know what to do with it. The result is a blue screen.

Could also mean incorrect memory timings so check to make sure your memory is set up correctly.

ithorien said:
When you say cheap though, what's cheap? My 2500k runs 4.4 (I think 1.325v) with the 212+, 68C at full load (Prime), and that cooler is 30 dollars.

Cheap as in he didn't want to spend another cent on cooling. :p

The 212 is the one I pointed out to him and he said if I could get to 4.0 on stock to just do that. Oh well at least he can switch it out in the future once he has a bit more cash and take it to 4.5 or beyond.

Corky

Yea check your voltage and timings, also run more than two passes of memtest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom