• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

Hey GAF, I'm gonna be making a PC over the summer and I was wondering if the $600 build in the OP would be good for me. Most of the games I'll be playing are Valve games like TF2, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, etc. and then stuff like Minecraft (which I know it'll run perfect).

Also, would someone who doesn't know much about computers be able to put one together somewhat easily? I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up...

Hawk269

Azwethinkweiz said:
Try plugging the computer directly into the TV?

That was going to be one of my tests, connecting straight into the TV via HDMI. But the problem has gone away. I just ran teh EVGA stress test for 30 min, followed by 4 complete runs of Unigine followed by a few laps of Need for Speed Shift 2 and no issues. I shutdown and waited a few minutes and restarted and still no issues.

Now, as I was running the stress tests, I did reach around the back of the receiver to ensure that the hdmi cables were secure and I moved around, I hit something that made the screen go black and then back on like it was doing last night. I ensured they were all plugged in and it never happened again. I am going to assume, one of the HDMI cbales were either pinched or slightly loose.

I called EVGA to see what else I could test and they said that other than some stress tests that woudl show issues, they could not think of anything else since the issue disappeared. He did think that since the computer was used alot that perhaps heat, but the comp. was off for 4 hours or so to watch some NBA games. Upon hearing that, EVGA said that if the stress tests past, play some games run some other thing that would stress the GPU and if it still did not act up, it just could of all been the reciever and possibly a loose connection or something with the cable went a litle loose.

At this point, I am thinking the issue is resolved. Unless someone else has any other input or test I can peform.

Moppet13

Cranzor said:
Hey GAF, I'm gonna be making a PC over the summer and I was wondering if the $600 build in the OP would be good for me. Most of the games I'll be playing are Valve games like TF2, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, etc. and then stuff like Minecraft (which I know it'll run perfect).

Also, would someone who doesn't know much about computers be able to put one together somewhat easily? I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up...
Yes, but you'll need a case which that build doesn't have. Building computers is really quite easy, you might be a bit nervous your first time but after that it's really easy.

Cranzor

Moppet13 said:
Yes, but you'll need a case which that build doesn't have. Building computers is really quite easy, you might be a bit nervous your first time but after that it's really easy.

Any one in particular I should get?

Moppet13

I also suggest looking for a different motherboard, ASUS usually makes really good motherboards around the same price (I believe) Also if you can get a 560GTX otherwise the 460GTX is just fine.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Been running my new GTX 460 for a couple days now and I'm loving it. It's way quieter than my 8800GT was and runs a lot cooler too. That in turn has lowered my other temperatures as well. I really should have cleaned my 8800GT more often because it was clearly not cooling itself sufficiently.

Thanks, thread! Also, thanks my little pony guy whose name I don't currently recall! Edit: scogoth!

On an unrelated note, what's the best way to sell a used graphics card?

Cranzor

Moppet13 said:
Personally I really like this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147144 It's rather cheap and pretty good in my opinion.

All right, that's probably what I'll go with. Looks nice and it's a good price :D Thanks!

MisterNoisy said:
I really like the HAF 912 and NZXT Gamma if you're on a budget, though the latter is a little strange looking.

That first one is nice! The second one does look rather strange looking :p It's a good price though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Moppet13

MisterNoisy said:
I really like the HAF 912 and NZXT Gamma if you're on a budget, though the latter is a little strange looking.
I was liking the NZXT until I realized it came out to 50 dollars with shipping and the RoseWill one I posted comes out to 55, the NZXT doesn't come with any fans?

MisterNoisy

Moppet13 said:
I was liking the NZXT until I realized it came out to 50 dollars with shipping and the RoseWill one I posted comes out to 55, the NZXT doesn't come with any fans?

Just the single exhaust fan. You'd definitely want to add at least another 120mm unit for intake.

Cranzor, if you're looking at the Destroyer, check out the HEC Blitz as well. Aside from a slightly different front panel and one less fan, it's identical to the Destroyer.

Moppet13

MisterNoisy said:
Just the single exhaust fan. You'd definitely want to add at least another 120mm unit for intake.

Cranzor, if you're looking at the Destroyer, check out the HEC Blitz. Aside from a slightly different front panel, it's identical to the Destroyer.
That's definitely a pretty good deal, I would go with that one if I wasn't too interested in adding extra fans to the side.

Moppet13

L00P said:
guys, is this a good deal? http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220744530472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looking to ditch my old Pentium 4 (yeah, I know) for this. It's enough to play TF2 without a hitch, right? And it has like two video cards, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I have to fit everything in a $500 budget so I'm not really looking for a super high-end desktop. Just want to know what you guys think about this deal.
Honestly, I think it can run TF2 but at the lowest settings. 5450 is a pretty low profile card you know? and 2 GB of RAM isn't all that much. Also the Processor is very dated. But yeah you'll probably be able to run TF2 on medium to low settings.

L00P

Moppet13 said:
Honestly, I think it can run TF2 but at the lowest settings. 5450 is a pretty low profile card you know? and 2 GB of RAM isn't all that much. Also the Processor is very dated. But yeah you'll probably be able to run TF2 on medium to low settings.

Yeah, I plan to get more RAM and a better video card for this. But are you sure about TF2 running only medium to low settings? I mean, my current computer have most settings on high, it's just that I only get about 20-40 FPS. It will improve my FPS, right?

Moppet13

L00P said:
Yeah, I plan to get more RAM and a better video card for this. But are you sure about TF2 running only medium to low settings? I mean, my current computer have most settings on high, it's just that I only get about 20-40 FPS. It will improve my FPS, right?
Well I am stuck running a 5450 in my laptop, it does okay. I just don't play games on highest with 20-40FPS because the skipping. Medium to Lowest with good performance rather.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mclaren777 said:
It just arrived and I'm nervous about doing the swap. :/

qMG6S.jpg
I just did mine, went perfectly fine.
TaKeRx said:
OK, so this is what I got so far. Any feedback or other suggestions are appreciated. I'm also missing a HDD(2TB preffered).

Case - Antec Performance One Series P193 V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Mobo - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

GPU - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

Power Supply - Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

BD Drive - SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
If you are spending that much I'd get the PRO. Other than that I will you will be very pleased with the system :)
Maybe toss in some Noctua or Scythe Kama fans.

I'd also consider changing the PSU to a 1000W Corsair or 850W Gold AX850 / X850.

TheExodu5

Banned
The P193 doesn't have a bottom air intake, so he's better off with the Antec PSU.

That being said, I think the 650D + AX850 is a nicer combo :p.

TheExodu5

Banned
L00P said:

What's your current computer? I have trouble believe that PC would be an upgrade from anything.

L00P

TheExodu5 said:
What's your current computer? I have trouble believe that PC would be an upgrade from anything.

It's an ancient Pentium 4. I guess I should be looking for a better upgrade, huh

L00P said:
It's an ancient Pentium 4. I guess I should be looking for a better upgrade, huh

You can find a better deal with DIY PC's.

If you want a low-budget computer and still get good performance, go with an i3 or AMD Athlon II X3.

ithorien

Drkirby said:
Are Blu-rays cheap enough to press where it is more cost efficient to press 1 disc then 4 duel layer DVDs?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WCRC2S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks like $27 for 20, that's pretty damn amazing. $1.35 per disc (25 gb)

If you look at the good Verbatim DataLifePlus-

DVD-Rs are $0.26 per disc (4.3 gb)

DVD-R DL are $1.47 per (8.5 gb), $1.05 per worse quality.

Yea, it's cheaper to go Blu-Ray. Now I'm pissed I didn't spring $70 more for a burner.

Downhome

I started a thread for this, but was told it would work better here, so here I go...

I just need a good PC setup, and PC gaming isn't all that important to me. Here is what I use it for...

-Normal everyday PC/internet usage
-Using as a server for AirVideo, AudioGalaxy, and TVersity
-Watching HD streaming video
-A bit of audio/video editing

I like to keep my PC on pretty much all the time since when I'm not home I like to be able to access the audio/video files on it. Am I correct in assuming that it isn't a good idea to use a laoptop for the server purposes listed above and you shouldn't leave a laptop pretty much full time? If a laptop could take care of what I want I'd just get one of those, but I'm not sure about that. I'll end up with a laptop later in the year more than likely even if I don't get one right now.

Are there any deals out there for full packages, complete with monitor, keyboard/mouse, and printer? I can't find anything like that on Amazon, so I guess I'll be going elsewhere if I need a package.

And to put everything into perspective, the PC I'm using right now is a 2003 Gateway with Windows XP and the Pentium 4CPU 2.00GHz 1.99 GHz, with only 2GB of RAM and a 111GB capacity HD. Oh, and not to mention that my monitor is only an old 15 inch non-HD flatscreen.

So to put it gently, I'm working with an old piece of crap here and have gotten to the point where it is a nightmare to use. So just about anything else would be better than what I have right now. I could go into any store and buy anything off the shelf and it would be better than this. I don't want to do that though, I don't want to start at the bottom of the barrel with the new one.

Is this one worth looking at?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-i570-5190PBK/14903860

scogoth

Drkirby said:
Are Blu-rays cheap enough to press where it is more cost efficient to press 1 disc then 4 duel layer DVDs?

Doesn't matter, most games have/will stop coming on physical media all together.

Downhome said:
I started a thread for this, but was told it would work better here, so here I go...

I just need a good PC setup, and PC gaming isn't all that important to me. Here is what I use it for...

-Normal everyday PC/internet usage
-Using as a server for AirVideo, AudioGalaxy, and TVersity
-Watching HD streaming video
-A bit of audio/video editing

I like to keep my PC on pretty much all the time since when I'm not home I like to be able to access the audio/video files on it. Am I correct in assuming that it isn't a good idea to use a laoptop for the server purposes listed above and you shouldn't leave a laptop pretty much full time? If a laptop could take care of what I want I'd just get one of those, but I'm not sure about that. I'll end up with a laptop later in the year more than likely even if I don't get one right now.

Are there any deals out there for full packages, complete with monitor, keyboard/mouse, and printer? I can't find anything like that on Amazon, so I guess I'll be going elsewhere if I need a package.

And to put everything into perspective, the PC I'm using right now is a 2003 Gateway with Windows XP and the Pentium 4CPU 2.00GHz 1.99 GHz, with only 2GB of RAM and a 111GB capacity HD. Oh, and not to mention that my monitor is only an old 15 inch non-HD flatscreen.

So to put it gently, I'm working with an old piece of crap here and have gotten to the point where it is a nightmare to use. So just about anything else would be better than what I have right now. I could go into any store and buy anything off the shelf and it would be better than this. I don't want to do that though, I don't want to start at the bottom of the barrel with the new one.

Is this one worth looking at?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-i570-5190PBK/14903860

A cheap sandy bridge machine with an i3 will serve you much better. The sandy bridge processors have excellent hardware accelerated encoding and application will take advantage of it eventually. Can't find any Dells with i3 yet but making your own isn't hard and very affordable.

Wazzim

Banned
mike23 said:
http://i.imgur.com/PPH0S.png[img]

My case got a nice ride on the delivery truck in Nashville for some reason. Nice waste of a day, UPS.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/pph0spxf1.png
That's how the city I live in is called, must be from the good old days of colonization lol.

scogoth said:
Doesn't matter, most games have/will stop coming on physical media all together.

Let me know when everybody on Earth who plays games has Internet fast enough to download 25GB to their consoles in a few minutes. This super-fast Internet also won't have bandwidth caps.

In other words, never going to happen.

Anyone have any experience with case mods? I want to put a 120 mm intake fan on the side of my case. My temps decrease by 10 C when I take the side off. Oh, and the case is aluminum.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Unknown Soldier said:
Let me know when everybody on Earth who plays games has Internet fast enough to download 25GB to their consoles in a few minutes. This super-fast Internet also won't have bandwidth caps.

It will happen but perhaps not at soon as some think.

CrankyJay

Banned
Corky said:
It will happen but perhaps not at soon as some think.

Pretty much. My town fucked themselves over because they have a long standing franchise deal with Time Warner. They couldn't work out a deal with Verizon to bring FiOS...so now pretty much every surrounding town but mine has it. FML.

Cheeto

Anyone have recommendations on Mechanical Keyboards? I'm looking for one, preferably with cherry mx black switches. Suggestions?

CrankyJay

Banned
Cheeto said:
Anyone have recommendations on Mechanical Keyboards? I'm looking for one, preferably with cherry mx black switches. Suggestions?

There are like 2 or 3 threads on GAF that come to recent memory. Try the site search.

eznark

Banned
mike23 said:
My case got a nice ride on the delivery truck in Nashville for some reason. Nice waste of a day, UPS.

I live near Cincinnati (and very close to the Amazon distro center in Hebron. For some reason every once in awhile a package will ship to Chicago before coming to me. I still get most of my orders within a day or so, but it's hilarious to me that it travels about 14 hours to get there when I could just go pick it up in 45 minutes.

CrankyJay

Banned
eznark said:
I live near Cincinnati (and very close to the Amazon distro center in Hebron. For some reason every once in awhile a package will ship to Chicago before coming to me. I still get most of my orders within a day or so, but it's hilarious to me that it travels about 14 hours to get there when I could just go pick it up in 45 minutes.

Just get a job there. Order something. Fulfill your own order.

scogoth

Unknown Soldier said:

Most games aren't 25GB. And as a PC gamer last game I bought a game on physical media was Tropico, I think that was back in 2003. FYI I live in Canada with terrible bandwidth caps not to mention EB Games, Best Buy and Future Shop don't carry any PC games anymore.

LiK

mike23 said:
Figures newegg would put the 3tb drives on sale two days after I buy them.
They sent out promo codes for SSD and PSU a few hours after my orders shipped. One of the worst lucks I had on their site. LoL

Fucking Newegg, I thought I was being really savy when I ordered all my parts at the 10% off sale. Now they have my SSD for 50$ off, Memory for 50$ off, and HDD for 30$ off. Shit pickle.

ithorien

black_vegeta said:
How are the Crucial SSD drives that are for sale on NewEgg? Should I opt for OCZ or Intel instead?

My 128gb C300 had the ~60 second freeze hickup, easily fixed with a reg tweak. Otherwise it's super awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom