• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, I have a mental checklist of things to try when a computer doesn't start and PSU is usually the first to test.

Hell, on my build I just did last Saturday the power cord I got with my PSU was dead on arrival.

Moppet13

Well I would be more inclined to believe it was PSU issues if the fans on the GPU didn't turn on.

Edit: Oh yeah, maybe something I wasn't too clear on, It was completely unplugged for the 2 weeks it was off. Also the fans do turn on when the graphics card is plugged in but nothing is displayed at all.

Xirj

PC-GAF. is it worth it to buy an SATA2 SSD right now even though I have a SATA3 port?

Currently I'm running a Gigabyte p55a-ud4p board so I can take advantage of a new SSD like the Vertex 3 but they are much more expensive. This apprehension led me to missing a deal on an ADATA s599 128GB SSD for $150 yesterday.

Cday said:
It's not the phenom ii part it's the x6 part. 6 cores are pointless for gaming and most other things for that matter.

Well, maybe its pointless, but the package takes 85 dollars off the parts, so there's no point in replacing it with a quad core either.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just realized that I built my pc 8 months ago (Sept 2010) and still haven't bought a single game for it x_x (although I have been enjoying portal 1 lately thanks to a gaffer)
All I've done since then is upgrade the case, videocard, and soundcard. I guess it's time to put the ps3 to the side and get back to pc gaming. It's just that the 3 pc games I'm looking forward to (Skyrim, BF3, and Rage) don't come out until nearly the end of 2011.

ithorien

forgrim said:
count me in that camp.

note to self, carry an extra power cord.

As the years went by, I amassed a ton of extras, all wound up in storage. You swap PSUs and you get one every time, so they pile up.

celcius said:
I just realized that I built my pc 8 months ago (Sept 2010) and still haven't bought a single game for it x_x (although I have been enjoying portal 1 lately thanks to a gaffer)
All I've done since then is upgrade the case, videocard, and soundcard. I guess it's time to put the ps3 to the side and get back to pc gaming. It's just that the 3 pc games I'm looking forward to (Skyrim, BF3, and Rage) don't come out until nearly the end of 2011.

Portal 2 is absolutely glorious.

Raw64life

Looks like I might be building my next PC after all. Was going to get my PC through NCIX and have them build it for me, but unless I'm just not seeing something, their absolute cheapest shipping option is $90. Meanwhile, Newegg would ship all my parts for $6.77. Adding in the $50 cost for them to build it and the total cost of my parts being about $50 more expensive on NCIX than it is on Newegg, I'd really be paying nearly $200 more for NCIX to build. At that point, even though I only built a PC once before 4 years ago, I might as well build it myself.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Oh man I'm so nervous that my GPU(GTX 460) is coming in today after the 600 PSU came in yesterday. I never switched PC parts before but looked inside my case....so many wires!! I'm going to be extra cautious and have my hand on the case since I heard you could mess up your computer if you're not grounded

SteveO409 said:
Oh man I'm so nervous that my GPU(GTX 460) is coming in today after the 600 PSU came in yesterday. I never switched PC parts before but looked inside my case....so many wires!! I'm going to be extra cautious and have my hand on the case since I heard you could mess up your computer if you're not grounded

Wear latex gloves.

scogoth

SteveO409 said:

Touch a metal part of the case before working to discharge any static electricity. Don't be worried about it, computer parts aren't going to die if you touch them.

Sanic

some quick help on this would be great: I just built a computer for a friend, and I can't get it to POST. No video signal.

Where should I start with this? I've tried using just the minimun to post (one stick of ram, mobo cpu, gfx card). Where do I go from here?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
SteveO409 said:

Careful! The capacitors on the motherboard hold current strong enough to kill a man even after the psu is dissconnected. :eek:

I'm kidding, it's easy as pie <3

scogoth

Pandoracell said:
some quick help on this would be great: I just built a computer for a friend, and I can't get it to POST. No video signal.

Where should I start with this? I've tried using just the minimun to post (one stick of ram, mobo cpu, gfx card). Where do I go from here?

Do fans start?

Sanic

ithorien said:
My first guess would be video.
There's no integrated video on the mobo, so I just have a 9800 GT hooked up to a monitor via dvi. Should the video ard automatically be detected?

ithorien

Pandoracell said:
There's no integrated video on the mobo, so I just have a 9800 GT hooked up to a monitor via dvi. Should the video ard automatically be detected?

Yea, it should recognize the card. Correct plug on the card to the monitor?

Sanic

ithorien said:
Yea, it should recognize the card. Correct plug on the card to the monitor?
Yep, I have vga running from the monitor to a vga to dvi connector, which is plugged into the card.

Sanic

eznark said:
I'd get a proper cable and ditch the adapter before I did anything else.
could that really cause an issue? The connector works fine, as I was using it until a couple weeks ago, but I wouldn't have a problem buying a proper cable if that could help.

eznark

Banned
Pandoracell said:
could that really cause an issue? The connector works fine, as I was using it until a couple weeks ago, but I wouldn't have a problem buying a proper cable if that could help.

Problem solving 101: limit the variables

ithorien

Pandoracell said:

It really can. I had an adapter before that caused a lot of interference, so anything's possible.

Sanic

eznark said:
Problem solving 101: limit the variables
Problem solving 102: check for the 30th time that every cable is plugged in, because guess what! They weren't :p. I've got it working now, thanks guys.

ithorien

Pandoracell said:
Problem solving 102: check for the 30th time that every cable is plugged in, because guess what! They weren't :p. I've got it working now, thanks guys.

Ha! Nice. At least it was something silly, not something serious.

eznark

Banned
Pandoracell said:

Actually that is Remedial Problem Solving: Summer Course

Nice work.

Corky

wait, you RMAd your gpu pandoracell? So it was broken afterall?

edit : bah saw it was your friends pc, how's your pc doing?

mkenyon

Banned
celcius said:
Buy Mount and Blade: Warbands, now.

mclaren777

It just arrived and I'm nervous about doing the swap. :/

qMG6S.jpg

Sanic

Corky said:
wait, you RMAd your gpu pandoracell? So it was broken afterall?

edit : bah saw it was your friends pc, how's your pc doing?
Yeah sorry for not posting any updates. Outside of playing Portal 2 I've been pretty busy this week. I'm going to go through and do some of the additional tests you suggested this weekend and I'll let you know what's up.

Corky

Pandoracell said:
Yeah sorry for not posting any updates. Outside of playing Portal 2 I've been pretty busy this week. I'm going to go through and do some of the additional tests you suggested this weekend and I'll let you know what's up.

It's all good, keep us updated and hopefully it'll end well :D

Hawk269

Hawk269 said:
Hey All-

My rig which is 2 weeks old has been perfect. No issues..that is until today. Earlier in the day, I downloaded the Witcher, played the game for a while and then stopped to watch the NBA games on tonight. Powered down the PC and all. As soon as I turned on the PC, when sitting on the desktop, the screen keeps blacking out like it is loosing signal or something. I reset the computer and it still is happening.

I do have an OC on my GPU's (SLI-580's). So I reset them to factory, dont think it was an issue since I have used the same OC since day one with no problems. After restarting, getting the same thing, screen flashes on and off at random. I did check the cables, and everthing is secure and plugged in, no loose connections. I did run eva scanner and getting no artifacts or anything like that with the cards.

What can it be and what else can I try?

Hey all. I am quoting myself to see if I can get some more help and also update what I have tried. Before going to bed last night I tried the following, all with the same results.

1. Cleaned out the old drivers, installed new drivers - NO GO.
2. Reset the overclock on the GPU's - NO GO
3. DIsabled SLI - NO GO
4. Plugged my HDMI that was in GPU1 into GPU 2 - NO GO.
5. Removed both GPU's. Put GPU2 into primary slot - NO GO.

Here is the kicker.

The rig as of right now is set up as it was in #5 above, GPU2 that was originally in 2nd PCI Slot is now in PCI Slot 1 as it was last night and I was still getting blinking and static/interference lines. So I shut down since I have to be up early for work.

I come today, eat something really fast, turn on my set up, power up the PC and low and behold the issue is magically gone. No blinking (I am typing this on the RIG now) and no static lines. PC has been on for 15 minutes and no issues. Nothing has changed since last night, it is exactly as it was, with only 1 GPU in the rig, plugged into primary PCI Slot.

My only reasoning and perhaps the culprit was this: My rig is hooked up to my 55" Sony TV via my Sony Receiver. For some reason, when trying to go direct to the TV from the Rig, the RIG only see's that there are two speakers hooked up, even though I have a tos-link cable running from the TV to the receiver for 5.1 sound. So, I had to route the PC to the Receiver and the Receiver to the TV to get 5.1.

With this setup, I had no issues. My PS3 is the same way, when directly hooked up to the TV, it only sees 2 speakers (which the TV physically has 2), but for some reason it does not read that it is also hooked up to the Receiver (although my cable box and Xbox 360 direct connect to the TV does read it and I get 5.1).

So long story short is this. The blinking and static/interefernece lines could of been caused by the receiver (which is something I never turned off and on to reset it). As I have been testintg and typing this, about 30 min have elapsed and no issues.

My question to the experts here is this. What else can I test to ensure I dont have a problem? Main reason, is my 30 days to RMA the motherboard, if there is an issue is this coming Monday. EVGA already said if the cards are bad or went bad I am covered by them, so I am not concerned with that. Should I assume that the root cause was the receiver and it just needed to be turned off/on? Like I said, nothing changed from 1AM last night till 1:15pm PST today in the setup/configuration other than the TV/Receiver where turned off with the Rig and everyhthing turned on jsut 30 min ago.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Hawk269 said:
Hey all. I am quoting myself to see if I can get some more help and also update what I have tried. Before going to bed last night I tried the following, all with the same results.

1. Cleaned out the old drivers, installed new drivers - NO GO.
2. Reset the overclock on the GPU's - NO GO
3. DIsabled SLI - NO GO
4. Plugged my HDMI that was in GPU1 into GPU 2 - NO GO.
5. Removed both GPU's. Put GPU2 into primary slot - NO GO.

Here is the kicker.

The rig as of right now is set up as it was in #5 above, GPU2 that was originally in 2nd PCI Slot is now in PCI Slot 1 as it was last night and I was still getting blinking and static/interference lines. So I shut down since I have to be up early for work.

I come today, eat something really fast, turn on my set up, power up the PC and low and behold the issue is magically gone. No blinking (I am typing this on the RIG now) and no static lines. PC has been on for 15 minutes and no issues. Nothing has changed since last night, it is exactly as it was, with only 1 GPU in the rig, plugged into primary PCI Slot.

My only reasoning and perhaps the culprit was this: My rig is hooked up to my 55" Sony TV via my Sony Receiver. For some reason, when trying to go direct to the TV from the Rig, the RIG only see's that there are two speakers hooked up, even though I have a tos-link cable running from the TV to the receiver for 5.1 sound. So, I had to route the PC to the Receiver and the Receiver to the TV to get 5.1.

With this setup, I had no issues. My PS3 is the same way, when directly hooked up to the TV, it only sees 2 speakers (which the TV physically has 2), but for some reason it does not read that it is also hooked up to the Receiver (although my cable box and Xbox 360 direct connect to the TV does read it and I get 5.1).

So long story short is this. The blinking and static/interefernece lines could of been caused by the receiver (which is something I never turned off and on to reset it). As I have been testintg and typing this, about 30 min have elapsed and no issues.

My question to the experts here is this. What else can I test to ensure I dont have a problem? Main reason, is my 30 days to RMA the motherboard, if there is an issue is this coming Monday. EVGA already said if the cards are bad or went bad I am covered by them, so I am not concerned with that. Should I assume that the root cause was the receiver and it just needed to be turned off/on? Like I said, nothing changed from 1AM last night till 1:15pm PST today in the setup/configuration other than the TV/Receiver where turned off with the Rig and everyhthing turned on jsut 30 min ago.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Try plugging the computer directly into the TV?

TaKeRx

OK, so this is what I got so far. Any feedback or other suggestions are appreciated. I'm also missing a HDD(2TB preffered).

Case - Antec Performance One Series P193 V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Mobo - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

GPU - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

Power Supply - Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

BD Drive - SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

So I've pulled the trigger on a new rig, will be hitting threads up for various tweaks and stuff when I put it together.

My old PC though I am going to be giving to a friend of mine whose family needs a PC. I'm not that paranoid about giving it away, I don't have many secrets
tranny surprise?
but just because they are kind of snoops and stuff I'd just rather reset the whole thing. Plus it's a bit long in the tooth and I'd rather give a nice clean system to them. I still have the windows vista disc and everything, is there a generally accepted way of doing it better or is there some functionality in the disc that will let me reset it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom