• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
apana said:
I'm playing bioshock with a touchpad right now. It's kind of impossible because of all the button presses you have to do. Also the WASD movement doesn't feel intutive to me compared to analog controls. Things will probably be better when I have a mouse but I would still prefer analog controls for movement while having the mouse be for aiming. I suppose I could get a xbox 360 controller but then that would suck for actually trying to aim at anything. A motion controller would come in handy right about now. Is there anyway for me to use my Wii mote to play bioshock on my laptop?

it'll be much better when you get a mouse. A mouse lets you quickly and directly point at things for aiming. you can fine tune gently, or whip it large distances easily. A trackpad is terrible for that. you're using your finger Vs your wrist/arm and it makes a big difference.

A wiimote wouldn't help with the movement, it'd only replace the aiming, so I wouldn't worry about that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
catapult37 said:
I already cut off the UPC for the rebate. :-( I've read some threads about doing a shader-only unlock, but it sounds a bit iffy. I'm about to buy another 6950 off a friend, so I know CF will rock either way, but his is unlocked and I really wanted 2x 6970s....

I have sadness.

don't. a shader unlock is probably safer than a full 6970 flash. Do that and be happy. And then CF it and be even happier..

mAcOdIn

mike23 said:
FreeNAS server is up and running.

6x 3TB Hitachi drives
2x 30gb SSDs used for ZFS cache (didn't buy them for it, had them left over from an upgrade to a bigger SSD in 2010)

In Raid-z, which is similar to Raid-5. 1 Disk fault tolerance. Everything is encrypted too, getting 70-80 megabytes/s over gigabit lan, not bad.
Very nice, if you don't mind me asking did you find it easy to set up and do you think a layman could do it? I've been looking at buying a NAS but the thought of just building one is something I'm not opposed to doing I'm just very unfamiliar with linux/unix/bsd based stuff. the hardware part isn't an issue as I've built tons of windows pc's just worried about the software part, but since it'd be it's own beast and not my main PC I guess I could just jump right in since I'll have my main computer to look stuff up on the net if I get stuck.

TheExodu5

Banned
JaseC said:
If you don't mind the look of them, perhaps the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

The AD700 are recommended for their huge soundstage and pinpoint accuracy, not really their musicality.

Zel3 said:
I figured i could ask this here.

I'm looking for a headset, I would primarily be using it for music and PC gaming second so audio quality is the most important thing for me.

Now so far these are the 3 choices I've come up with, each one with very different prices.

Siberia v2
$90

Logitech G930
$127

Sennheiser PC350
$180

I'm going to assume the Sennheiser headset has the best audio quality but i don't have a dedicated sound card, would the Logitech headset be a better buy for someone like me? Any other headset recommendations?

Since you were looking for headset recommendations, I'm assuming you do need a mic? If you do a lot of voice chatting online (like with Ventrilo), a headset is definitely the way to go. If voice chatting is a rarity for you, then you can consider dedicated headphones + clip on mic. In that case, head over to the headphone thread in Off Topic and ask there.

If you are going for a headset, I'll say that the Syberia is awful. It's made for a small head, but is rather comfortable. In terms of sound quality, it's muted and boomy, with no soundstage whatsoever. Avoid this one.

I haven't tried that Logitech in particular, but all the ones I've tried have been terrible. They tend to go for big boom and unnatural treble...aka the Bose sound. I'd pass.

The Sennheisers are decent. I don't think they really warrant the cost, but they are my favorite PC headset so far. The sound quality is pretty good. The bass is a little too theatre like for my tastes (distant boom with no real impact), but its not overpowering. It's a very tasteful headset in terms of tonal balance. The mic is also outstanding. I recommend it if you're not opposed to spending that much on a headset...there really isn't much competition there and the Sennheisers are the headset to beat.

Sadly, my PC350 broke when I stepped on it. It's on life support with a glue gun right now. I ordered the Sennheiser PC360 (the open revision) and will be getting it this week. I can offer my comments if you're interested in the comparison.

ithorien

black_vegeta said:
Can you kind folks recommend a good gaming keyboard and mouse?

For a mouse, I've been a fan of Razer since the original Boomslang. Own a Copperhead, but I played on a Mamba for a while and if I had the money, I'd get one pronto. I know a ton of people here love them some RAT.

My keyboard is just an older MS media keyboard, works fine for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mAcOdIn said:
Very nice, if you don't mind me asking did you find it easy to set up and do you think a layman could do it? I've been looking at buying a NAS but the thought of just building one is something I'm not opposed to doing I'm just very unfamiliar with linux/unix/bsd based stuff. the hardware part isn't an issue as I've built tons of windows pc's just worried about the software part, but since it'd be it's own beast and not my main PC I guess I could just jump right in since I'll have my main computer to look stuff up on the net if I get stuck.

you could do a bodge job..

My 'NAS' is a mac mini running double duty as a HTPC. It also runs my sabnzbd client for downloads and my minecraft server.

my 'RAID array' is two USB HDDs plugged into it. One of those is a WD Studio drive with two drives in it, set up to mirror the data. So it shows up to me as a 1TB drive, but is actually 2x1TB drives. You can get them with 2x2TB now, so a few of those hung off the back via USB and you'd be good to go for a while.

I can access it just fine via SMB or the network area on my PC, and I remote manage it from my ipad or MBP using screen sharing.

Cheech

ithorien said:
For a mouse, I've been a fan of Razer since the original Boomslang. Own a Copperhead, but I played on a Mamba for a while and if I had the money, I'd get one pronto. I know a ton of people here love them some RAT.

My keyboard is just an older MS media keyboard, works fine for me.

If you use a claw grip, this Logitech is great. I dig the hell out of mine.

mAcOdIn

mrklaw said:
you could do a bodge job..

My 'NAS' is a mac mini running double duty as a HTPC. It also runs my sabnzbd client for downloads and my minecraft server.

my 'RAID array' is two USB HDDs plugged into it. One of those is a WD Studio drive with two drives in it, set up to mirror the data. So it shows up to me as a 1TB drive, but is actually 2x1TB drives. You can get them with 2x2TB now, so a few of those hung off the back via USB and you'd be good to go for a while.

I can access it just fine via SMB or the network area on my PC, and I remote manage it from my ipad or MBP using screen sharing.
That'd be a little too jerryrigged for me, lol. I've already started getting the drives, so far I have 2 2TB Samsungs and will get more next month and am looking to build a pretty big array, I want at least 4 2TB drives but I may go up to 6. Currently I'm running the 2 I have now in a RAID 1 array but plan to do RAID 5 ultimately.

I'm just mostly worried about the commandline, I finally got Gentoo running years ago and that was rough for me, but I also played with Smoothwall and IPCop a few years later which had nicer GUIs to help but still required some commandline usage and I just never felt comfortable, even when I tried Ubuntu 10.10 last week after moving these hard drives around and having some free space I didn't feel right trying to get my sound working and gave up. I'm worried not so much about getting it set up, as that part's probably easy enough but how to recover it in the event it fails for some reason. I'm just worried that once I allow my storage to get that big that I honestly can't back it up elsewhere and not being able to recover it would be disastrous to me. Well, ok, not disastrous but an epic pain in the ass to re-rip everything.

mkenyon

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Can you kind folks recommend a good gaming keyboard and mouse?
Mechanical keyboard with serious anti-ghosting capabilities or N-Key rollover. Non-illuminated Razer BlackWidow is the least expensive in this category.

Mouse, there is nothing that beats the Xai. I've tried all the big names (Death Adder, Naga, G9x, RAT 7), and none of them compare. Everyone I know that has tried it has switched.

ithorien

mkenyon said:
Mechanical keyboard with serious anti-ghosting capabilities or N-Key rollover. Non-illuminated Razer BlackWidow is the least expensive in this category.

Mouse, there is nothing that beats the Xai. I've tried all the big names (Death Adder, Naga, G9x, RAT 7), and none of them compare. Everyone I know that has tried it has switched.

Gotta ask, what sets it apart? I like the Mamba primarily for the way it lays under my hand, and the Xai is just that standard design.

Stantron

CrankyJay said:
Sounds like you're getting temps from the BIOS. You should be idling in Windows.
Yeah, I was using the BIOS temp monitor. So are temps usually high in that mode, or is that temperature monitor not that accurate?
Also, which software program is recommended to use while idle in Windows?

mkenyon

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

mkenyon, this mouse?
Yep!

ithorien said:
Gotta ask, what sets it apart? I like the Mamba primarily for the way it lays under my hand, and the Xai is just that standard design.
Seems like a standard design, but there are subtle changes that make it stand out in ergonomics. Mostly though, it has the most advanced laser you can find on a mouse.

The laser is 10.8 megapixels that does 12,000 frames per second, which allows it track up to speeds of 150 inches per second. Seems like a lot, but when you're whipping, you might be surprised how fast you're actually moving it. The most important part is that every bit of sensitivity on it can be fine adjusted in increments of 1, between 100-5001 DPI. This allows me to set my X and Y axis independently for just the right setting. I'm not kidding when I say my K:D in Warsow doubled when I started using it. Switched from a Death Adder, which is my second most favorite mouse.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
The laser is 10.8 megapixels that does 12,000 frames per second, which allows it track up to speeds of 150 inches per second. Seems like a lot, but when you're whipping, you might be surprised how fast you're actually moving it. The most important part is that every bit of sensitivity on it can be fine adjusted in increments of 1, between 100-5001 DPI. This allows me to set my X and Y axis independently for just the right setting. I'm not kidding when I say my K:D in Warsow doubled when I started using it. Switched from a Death Adder, which is my second most favorite mouse.

I have never been able to get the MX518 or Mamba to skip, even moving as fast as I possible could.

That being said, I tried going back to the MX518 and I can't. The angle snapping is really obvious after having used the Mamba.

As for the Xai, I just don't like the shape. I need a mouse that I can palm, and nothing beats the DeathAdder or Mamba in that regard. It's a shame Razer's build/firmware quality is rather lacking.

Zimbardo

did my first overclock in 10 years a couple days ago, so let me just start off by saying that i'm feeling somewhat noobish ...but anyway, i think i did alright so far. i tried reading up on things pretty well.

anyway, do you think these settings look alright for an i5 760 @ 3.8ghz?

cpu voltage 1.25
dram voltage 1.25

bclk = 200
multiplier = 19
pcie frequency = 100
dram frequency 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

load line calibration = enabled
cpu and pcie spread spectrum are disabled

everything else is set to auto/defaults.

so i'm @ 3.8ghz and i ran through 15 runs with maximum memory of Intel Burn Test and it passed. then 7 hours of Prime95 and it passed.

max temp was 60c on two cores during Intel Burn Test ...other two might have maxed out around 58c.

using Noctua D14 for cooler.

so would you guys say i'm alright with these settings?

no games have crashed, etc. everything seems good.

idle temps are around 29 to 32c.

Intel Burn Test errored out with anything less than 1.25 volts, btw.

the ram is G.SKill Sniper SE 2x4gig 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.25volts ...so i'm running it at its default settings.

knitoe

Stantron said:
Yeah, I was using the BIOS temp monitor. So are temps usually high in that mode, or is that temperature monitor not that accurate?
Also, which software program is recommended to use while idle in Windows?
Bios temp will be higher since it doesn't have power saving features found in OS. For monitoring temp, HWmonitor, RealTemp and/or CoreTemp.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Okay, so I've narrowed it down to either a gtx 560 or a radeon 6950...what shall I do, folks?
6950 with only shader unlock, and then, o/c it to 6970 specs.

mkenyon

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I have never been able to get the MX518 or Mamba to skip, even moving as fast as I possible could.

That being said, I tried going back to the MX518 and I can't. The angle snapping is really obvious after having used the Mamba.

As for the Xai, I just don't like the shape. I need a mouse that I can palm, and nothing beats the DeathAdder or Mamba in that regard. It's a shame Razer's build/firmware quality is rather lacking.
Have you actually felt it? I'm a palmer as well, not a claw gripper, as I use my whole mousepad for movement. I've yet to feel a mouse that feels as good as the Xai for my style (and 6 of my friends as well).

Additionally, it's not about whether or not it skips, its about whether or not it precisely tracks that movement when you're moving fast. Those times that you felt like you should've had that headshot? You probably should have. Your mouse failed you!

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
Have you actually felt it? I'm a palmer as well, not a claw gripper, as I use my whole mousepad for movement. I've yet to feel a mouse that feels as good as the Xai for my style (and 6 of my friends as well).

Additionally, it's not about whether or not it skips, its about whether or not it precisely tracks that movement when you're moving fast. Those times that you felt like you should've had that headshot? You probably should have. Your mouse failed you!

I've felt it. Friend has one. It's nice, but I still prefer the right-handed design of the Mamba. I also love the thumb buttons.

I really think that the added precision past 2000DPI is pretty redundant. I could easily feel the difference in between 400-800, but higher than that there are severe diminishing returns. I like having the added resolution just so I can set up more sensitivity steps for the on-the-fly switching, but don't notice or care at this point. If I were still playing CS, and using a 120Hz monitor, I might notice...but certainly not on an IPS or PVA panel, where even the small amount of input lag they add will make any such mouse difference feel imperceptible.

I'm not saying to not get the Xai...I'm just saying shape is a more important factor for me, and the Xai isn't my mouse of choice in that case.

mkenyon

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I've felt it. Friend has one. It's nice, but I still prefer the right-handed design of the Mamba. I also love the thumb buttons.

I really think that the added precision past 2000DPI is pretty redundant. I could easily feel the difference in between 400-800, but higher than that there are severe diminishing returns. I like having the added resolution just so I can set up more sensitivity steps for the on-the-fly switching, but don't notice or care at this point. If I were still playing CS, and using a 120Hz monitor, I might notice...but certainly not on an IPS or PVA panel, where even the small amount of input lag they add will make any such mouse difference feel imperceptible.

I'm not saying to not get the Xai...I'm just saying shape is a more important factor for me, and the Xai isn't my mouse of choice in that case.
Fair enough. Also, its not just about high DPI, its about accurate tracking while moving the mouse quickly. On a destructor pad, moving the whole distance of the pad moves me about 1 1/2 times around. Not tracking correctly means the difference on a whip of being accurate or not for me with a rail gun. Also, being able to precisely set DPI on X and Y axis does make a pretty significant difference. For example, on modern shooters (Counter Strike, CoD, BFBC) where there isn't a lot of height difference, I have my Y axis turned way down on profiles. In games like Warsow or Q3 where you need to be looking up as much as around, I have it set higher. Makes a pretty huge difference.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
Fair enough. Also, its not just about high DPI, its about accurate tracking while moving the mouse quickly. On a destructor pad, moving the whole distance of the pad moves me about 1 1/2 times around. Not tracking correctly means the difference on a whip of being accurate or not for me with a rail gun. Also, being able to precisely set DPI on X and Y axis does make a pretty significant difference. For example, on modern shooters (Counter Strike, CoD, BFBC) where there isn't a lot of height difference, I have my Y axis turned way down on profiles. In games like Warsow or Q3 where you need to be looking up as much as around, I have it set higher. Makes a pretty huge difference.

Personally I need to have X/Y at 1:1 ratios. I need my mouse to move the exact same way in every game I play.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Okay, let me rephrase this then. Which card should I buy without fucking with something that may in return fuck me back? :p

Any reference 6950 can be flashed to unlock the shaders. That means pretty much any card that doesn't come with a custom cooler. Also, XFX cards all have a lifetime warranty if you're worried about it dying on you.

scogoth

Azwethinkweiz said:
Any reference 6950 can be flashed to unlock the shaders. That means pretty much any card that doesn't come with a custom cooler. Also, XFX cards all have a lifetime warranty if you're worried about it dying on you.

Warranty won't cover BIOS flashing

knitoe

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Okay, let me rephrase this then. Which card should I buy without fucking with something that may in return fuck me back? :p
You want 6950 2GB with reference design 2 bios switch. Companies are switching, heard XFX and Sapphire so far, to the new reference 1 bios with no switch. So be careful when choosing current stocks of cards.

Best to save your card's bios (in case you mess up and have to reflash), mod / flash the bios to unlock shaded only, and then, O/C to 6970 spec. Another option is to do everything the same except use someone else's mod bios found on internet.

Stantron

knitoe said:
Bios temp will be higher since it doesn't have power saving features found in OS. For monitoring temp, HWmonitor, RealTemp and/or CoreTemp.
Thanks, I'll look into these when I get home. I assume these are free software gadgets to download?...I'll check google.

scogoth

Stantron said:
Thanks, I'll look into these when I get home. I assume these are free software gadgets to download?...I'll check google.

Still seem high even in BIOS, check temps in windows but you may need to re-do the heatsink. Idle temps should be ~30 and load ~60 in windows.

LiK

this baby arrived yesterday

gtx570.jpg

omgkitty

I am sure this has been referenced in this thread before and if so I am sorry. What does everyone here think of the Tested build: http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-build-a-future-proof-1500-gaming-pc/2003/

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
Video Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
Storage Western Digital 2TB Black
Case Fractal Design R3
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850 Watt

I was thinking of building this machine but perhaps changing to an Intel Core i7 2600k instead of the i5 and perhaps doing a better card. Would spending the extra $65 or so on the processor make that big of a difference? I mean that doesn't seem like a lot of money for me. I haven't ever built my own computer and am not really that technically gifted when it comes to processors. I know the video card is pretty much the best you can buy without jumping up about $200 so I may stick with the 570. Any suggestions on changes are welcome, but I do trust the Tested guys a lot.

Edit: Just saw the Tested build link on the front page, but couldn't find any thoughts on the components.

MrEnglishPanda said:
I am sure this has been referenced in this thread before and if so I am sorry. What does everyone here think of the Tested build: http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-build-a-future-proof-1500-gaming-pc/2003/

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K
Case Fractal Design R3

I was thinking of building this machine but perhaps changing to an Intel Core i7 2600k instead of the i5 and perhaps doing a better card. Would spending the extra $65 or so on the processor make that big of a difference? I mean that doesn't seem like a lot of money for me. I haven't ever built my own computer and am not really that technically gifted when it comes to processors. I know the video card is pretty much the best you can buy without jumping up about $200 so I may stick with the 570. Any suggestions on changes are welcome, but I do trust the Tested guys a lot.

If you're looking to throw more money at the build, your best bet would be an SSD.

scogoth

MrEnglishPanda said:

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K
Case Fractal Design R3

The extra $65 gets you about 0% better gaming performance. It gives you hyper-threading which is great if your job is 3D animation, photoshop, scientific calculations or video editing. Also you need an ssd in there, it will greatly improve the feel of the OS and boot times.

Wazzim

Banned
mkenyon said:
Not if its bricked you can't.
Hm? Can't you just flash it back like you do with nvflash when the flash fails? You make an auto booting USB stick that flashes your card at start up.

knitoe

SuperSonic1305 said:
Okay I manually changed my voltages. Does this look fine?

PX8dq.png
I would use Offset for changing CPU voltages. That way the voltage will be lower during idle (lower temp) and increase with load instead of staying constant with entering a number manually.

Zimbardo said:
anyway, do you think these settings look alright for an i5 760 @ 3.8ghz?

cpu voltage 1.25
dram voltage 1.25

bclk = 200
multiplier = 19
pcie frequency = 100
dram frequency 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

load line calibration = enabled
cpu and pcie spread spectrum are disabled

everything else is set to auto/defaults.

That looks good, stable with low voltage and low temps. Just to let you know though, in case you ever plan on going higher in the future, you may be able to achieve more stability by using a higher multiplier and lower bclk (though as everything's working great right now, you should keep it the same of course). I'm using 21 x 190 for 4 GHz for example, and I once tested out 20 x 200 and it was no longer stable.

wanders

Hazaro said:
USB only goes in 1 way.
Did you install drivers? Are you using the original USB cord with the phone?
Sometimes front ports don't give enough power, do the back ports pick up the phone?
yeah the back ports work and give power. I'm not using the original cable I'm gana try the original cable and see if that works. I installed the drivers for the phone and no dice. I'm gana try out your suggestions and troubleshoot some more. Thanks!

Hazaro said:
I thought you got helped?
Either way, chill for 3-4 weeks and see what Bulldozer does.
Nope, the thread moves fast and sometimes it's easy for people to miss a question.

I figured it would be best to wait anyway. The new AM3+ mobos on their own are worth the wait since they'll be more important for upgrades than the CPU.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom