• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stantron

scogoth said:
Still seem high even in BIOS, check temps in windows but you may need to re-do the heatsink. Idle temps should be ~30 and load ~60 in windows.
Shit, that's what I thought. Maybe I botched the thermal compound application. I guess I'll see the coverage when I dis-assemble the heatsink. Crossing my fingers that this fixes the problem and the temps come down significantly.

I went with the Death Adder mouse. I like the look of it. I'll see how it feels and if I don't like it, I'll just return it to Amazon.

Going to go with the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard when I get paid this Friday.

mkenyon

Banned
black_vegeta said:
I went with the Death Adder mouse. I like the look of it. I'll see how it feels and if I don't like it, I'll just return it to Amazon.

Going to go with the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard when I get paid this Friday.

The $40-50 you pay for illumination isn't worth it.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:

If you play in the dark it is!

I use a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and love it. It uses scissor switches and has no ghosting (though I think some of them do have significant ghosting...not sure when/why Logitech changed that).

scogoth

mkenyon said:

Its also good if you use 3D vision. Yes thats a very obscure benefit but it works!

Matching blue keyboard, mouse and ccfl lights. Life is good.

G-Pink

So it looks like I fixed my issues by installing a different motherboard into my system, and I've gotten it up and running again. Looking good so far.

I installed Windows onto my Vertex 3, and I'm wondering what I need to do to set it up correctly, to have it run as fast as it possibly can. In the Windows rating system, it's only giving it a 5.9 rating, which is strange. It seems really fast, but the rating is about the same as my WD Green.

What should I be doing to it? As far as I know, there's no firmware out for the 3 atm.

G-Pink said:
So it looks like I fixed my issues by installing a different motherboard into my system, and I've gotten it up and running again. Looking good so far.

I installed Windows onto my Vertex 3, and I'm wondering what I need to do to set it up correctly, to have it run as fast as it possibly can. In the Windows rating system, it's only giving it a 5.9 rating, which is strange. It seems really fast, but the rating is about the same as my WD Green.

What should I be doing to it? As far as I know, there's no firmware out for the 3 atm.

My Vertex 3 gave me that at first too. When I reran the windows rating system, it came back as 7.9.

ShdwDrake

Banned
comrade said:
I just tried it and it's really simple.

In CCC make sure Advanced View is checked.
Go to Presets
Add new Preset.

Only part that differed for me was where my 'Profiles' folder was located. I found it in: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles

Now just edit the XML file like the post said by raising the idle clocks.

PM me if you need help.

Ok will do, I try this when I get off work... hope it helps.

mkenyon

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
If you play in the dark it is!

I use a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and love it. It uses scissor switches and has no ghosting (though I think some of them do have significant ghosting...not sure when/why Logitech changed that).
2h6c9yg.jpg

Wire rack + LED lights = hotness.

vexvegaz

G-Pink said:

hope this helps..
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3116/tweaktown_s_solid_state_drive_optimization_guide/index7.html

edit: to fix WEI, make sure AHCI is set under SATA in your bios

mike23

mAcOdIn said:
Very nice, if you don't mind me asking did you find it easy to set up and do you think a layman could do it? I've been looking at buying a NAS but the thought of just building one is something I'm not opposed to doing I'm just very unfamiliar with linux/unix/bsd based stuff. the hardware part isn't an issue as I've built tons of windows pc's just worried about the software part, but since it'd be it's own beast and not my main PC I guess I could just jump right in since I'll have my main computer to look stuff up on the net if I get stuck.

FreeNAS was easy enough to set up. I just had to use PHDiskWrite to write the embedded version onto a flash drive and set it to highest boot priority in the bios.
( http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1944 )

The only pain was setting up the connection on my desktop because I'm just using a direct gigabit connection between the two. What I ended up doing was telling windows to share my wireless connection with the ethernet and that set up the connection correctly on the lan so that FreeNAS could get an IP.

The documentation is a little weak, but even without it, it isn't too bad.

I suggest playing with it in VMware or something. Give yourself 4-5 drives and play with the formatting and stuff.

edit:

mAcOdIn said:
That'd be a little too jerryrigged for me, lol. I've already started getting the drives, so far I have 2 2TB Samsungs and will get more next month and am looking to build a pretty big array, I want at least 4 2TB drives but I may go up to 6. Currently I'm running the 2 I have now in a RAID 1 array but plan to do RAID 5 ultimately.

I'm just mostly worried about the commandline, I finally got Gentoo running years ago and that was rough for me, but I also played with Smoothwall and IPCop a few years later which had nicer GUIs to help but still required some commandline usage and I just never felt comfortable, even when I tried Ubuntu 10.10 last week after moving these hard drives around and having some free space I didn't feel right trying to get my sound working and gave up. I'm worried not so much about getting it set up, as that part's probably easy enough but how to recover it in the event it fails for some reason. I'm just worried that once I allow my storage to get that big that I honestly can't back it up elsewhere and not being able to recover it would be disastrous to me. Well, ok, not disastrous but an epic pain in the ass to re-rip everything.

You don't really use the command line besides the first few minutes. It has a webgui that has everything you need to do. The only reason you need it the first time is to get it to connect to your network and that's usually as simple as hitting 2 enter enter enter, heh.

mike23

Picks of my build.

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Radeon 5850
Corsair 120GB SSD
Fractal Design Define R3 White

ZZCKa.png
qFVuC.png

NvZak.png
M0RuO.png

And the NAS, made from my previous desktop, except I took out the corsair ssd and the video card. That's why it's so dusty. Did the best I could with cables, but the case isn't very good for it.

Q6600
6x 3TB Hitachi drives
12 Gigs DDR2
2x 30GB Vertex 2 ssds
Radeon 5450

oYFOU.png

Omiee

PC GAF i have sinned. I promised myself not to update my pc again.
But after seeing this deal on these two cards i just had to act.
I gave my msi's to my brother and im now rocking these two.

16lhd2o.jpg

x26ihc.jpg

339m24z.jpg

ithorien

Omiee said:

Aww, burn in hell heathen (I'm jealous).

Kyaw

Omiee said:

I'm jelly. :D
Are those 580s or 560s? Either way, good multi-cards beat everything.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I got my Sennheiser PC360.

I'd say they're a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, the physical design is a nice step up from the PC350, but on the other, the sound is not necessarily an improvement. The spacial imaging is definitely better, but the tonal balance is off, at least to me. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the rather bass-light PC350 by now, but these sounds noticeably boomy in comparison. The midrange is also recessed, as a result.

Still, I fixed them up with a bit of an equalizer, and now the tonal balance is perfect. They sound exactly like the PC350, except with better spacial imaging. I used to always say no to equalizers...but they can be handy in a pinch.

TheExodu5

Banned
Omiee said:

Oh shit oh shit oh shit! In case pics please! I've been waiting for ever to SLI these triple slot bad boys.

I figured these were perfect for Sandy Bridge builds, since the PCI-E slots are 3 apart instead of 2 now.

Also, how are temps and noise levels under load?

So for some reason I can't get my two Spinpoint F3's to be recognized in Windows. My Vertex 3 is fine, but I don't really want to do anything on the PC until I can change the user folders over to the data drives. I can see them in the bios and even using diskpart in the command prompt, but I can't see them in My Computer. Any ideas? I'm have a P8P67 Pro at in ACHI. If I set to Raid it will let me create a Raid 0 array, but then bluescreen and never load windows. I have to set it to ACHI to boot.

FML Asus...

Baller said:
So for some reason I can't get my two Spinpoint F3's to be recognized in Windows. My Vertex 3 is fine, but I don't really want to do anything on the PC until I can change the user folders over to the data drives. I can see them in the bios and even using diskpart in the command prompt, but I can't see them in My Computer. Any ideas? I'm have a P8P67 Pro at in ACHI. If I set to Raid it will let me create a Raid 0 array, but then bluescreen and never load windows. I have to set it to ACHI to boot.

FML Asus...
go to start, and right click computer, and click manage. from there click disk management in the left collumn. you need to assign them drive letters

Mr Nightman said:
go to start, and right click computer, and click manage. from there click disk management in the left collumn. you need to assign them drive letters
Thank you, this is so much better than trying to remember the cmd commands in disk part.

Both drives a listed as raw, which makes sense since they're not showing up. My worry is that I'm wasting my time formatting them since they're just going to be wiped when I try to raid them again, right?

vexvegaz

TheFatOne said:
About to pull the trigger on this motherboard MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155. I'm looking for a motherboard for around 150$ that I can crossfire in the future. Is this board good enough or is there a better choice at this price range?

not sure if this is the right place for this, but if your interested im willing to sell my 2 week old msi p67a gd65 for that price.

Baller said:
Thank you, this is so much better than trying to remember the cmd commands in disk part.

Both drives a listed as raw, which makes sense since they're not showing up. My worry is that I'm wasting my time formatting them since they're just going to be wiped when I try to raid them again, right?
not too sure on the raid part, never been too fimiliar with it

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've been doing my own research on it, but I'm wondering what some of your opinions are of MLAA.

Are any of you AMD owners using it regularly?

TheFatOne

vexvegaz said:
not sure if this is the right place for this, but if your interested im willing to sell my 2 week old msi p67a gd65 for that price.

Thanks for the offer. but I would rather buy something brand new.

TheFatOne said:
About to pull the trigger on this motherboard MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155. I'm looking for a motherboard for around 150$ that I can crossfire in the future. Is this board good enough or is there a better choice at this price range?

I linked to the wrong motherboard this is the right one. MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
K.Jack said:
I've been doing my own research on it, but I'm wondering what some of your opinions are of MLAA.

Are any of you AMD owners using it regularly?
I have not used it, but the idea is good.
Problem is it blurs and messes text and HUDS.
If you need a performance boost in a non text heavy adventure it's a good option to have.

scogoth

Baller said:

You need to create the raid before installing windows. Format takes like 5 secs each, do quick format not full format.

scogoth said:
You need to create the raid before installing windows. Format takes like 5 secs each, do quick format not full format.
Lame, so I have to re-install Windows on the SSD? Damn.

EDIT: Is there a special way I need to do this? i.e. third-party formatting tool or quick format during installation.

knitoe

Baller said:
Lame, so I have to re-install Windows on the SSD? Damn.

EDIT: Is there a special way I need to do this? i.e. third-party formatting tool or quick format during installation.
You can use the Windows disk manager to create a raid. Windows will handle the raid instead of MB controller.

Stantron

OK, so I have the CPUID Hardware Monitor installed.
2600K, no overclock, DH-14 cooler, Windows7 sitting idle, both R3 case sides are off.
Core#0 = 40C
Core#1 = 27C
Core#2 = 28C
Core#3 = 36C
Before I take off the sink and re-try installing, what temperature ranges should I expect for my setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom