• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Stantron said:
OK, so I have the CPUID Hardware Monitor installed.
2600K, no overclock, DH-14 cooler, Windows7 sitting idle, both R3 case sides are off.
Core#0 = 40C
Core#1 = 27C
Core#2 = 28C
Core#3 = 36C
Before I take off the sink and re-try installing, what temperature ranges should I expect for my setup?
What is your room temp? What are your temps while running Prime95 small fft? What is the CPU core voltage?

knitoe said:
You can use the Windows disk manager to create a raid. Windows will handle the raid instead of MB controller.
I'd rather use hardware, which is what I did. Now I just have to wait for Windows to format 1.8TB. *_* The RAIDery will be worth it in the end.

Soooo glad none of my components were DOA, because (like a noob) I spent hours working on cable management before I even booted up. Lucky me! Pics coming soon...
Once I figure out how to fanangle on the right panel over all those cables

Stantron

knitoe said:
What is your room temp? What are your temps while running Prime95 small fft? What is the CPU core voltage?
Room temp, huh, is that on the same CPUID software? Let's see SYSTIN shows 31C, that's probably not it. Where do I look for this? Subjectively, my room is not warm at all right now, it's a comfortable temp, probably 23C, but that's just my guess.

I don't know what Prime95 small fft is.

CPU core voltage: 0.88V (min is 0.79, max is 1.18)

scogoth

Stantron said:
Room temp, huh, is that on the same CPUID software? Let's see SYSTIN shows 31C, that's probably not it. Where do I look for this? Subjectively, my room is not warm at all right now, it's a comfortable temp, probably 23C, but that's just my guess.

I don't know what Prime95 small fft is.

CPU core voltage: 0.88V (min is 0.79, max is 1.18)

Unless you live in a sauna those are hot idle temps. Theres only one way to get better at installing CPU heatsinks, practice! And lucky you get the chance to re-do it.

Stantron

scogoth said:
Unless you live in a sauna those are got idle temps. Theres only one way to get better at installing CPU heatsinks, practice! And lucky you get the chance to re-do it.
I don't mind re-doing it too much. I'm just not sure what exactly I did not do right the first time. My guess is that when I dis-assemble, the thermal compound will not be spread well across the lid. We'll see.

Instructions for the thermal compound say to put a 4-5 mm dot in the middle of the lid. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Alright, well, here I go...

scogoth

Stantron said:
I don't mind re-doing it too much. I'm just not sure what exactly I did not do right the first time. My guess is that when I dis-assemble, the thermal compound will not be spread well across the lid. We'll see.

Instructions for the thermal compound say to put a 4-5 mm dot in the middle of the lid. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Alright, well, here I go...

When I first learned PC building I always put too much on. Take pics after you take the heatsink off, its good for others to look at so they can learn.

Garou

Planning to build a cheap HTPC with some average/used parts. Any thoughts? Aiming for average-good gaming performance @720p and relatively silent.

Case: Shuttle SG41J4
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2,66GHz)
Cooler: Shuttle ICE Genie 3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5670 (512GB GDDR5)
RAM: 2x2GB noname
HD: Western Digital WD10EARS

Piano

Banned
My CPU idles at about 43C - is that too hot? Reading the last few posts has made me think maybe I messed up with the heatsink and thermal paste.

I have a Phenom II X4 955 with a Cooler Master 212 heatsink.

LiK

Gaming PC parts. will build it this weekend. Friday if i'm not tired from work.

Mobo, CPU and RAM
moboramcpu.jpg

GFX card
gtx570.jpg

SSDs and HDDs
hdds.jpg

PSU
psu-1.jpg

Case
case.jpg

Stantron

De De De Derp derp! I blame the instructions for not being specific enough about total volume of thermal compound to dispense. I know I did the 4-5 mm dot, but apparently, I stacked it way too high, resulting in overflow.
CPUSide.jpg

CoolerSide.jpg

Well, that's it for tonight. I'm need to obtain some isopropyl rubbing alcohol and kim wipes to clean the surfaces. Gonna give it another shot tomorrow night.

scogoth

Stantron said:
De De De Derp derp! I blame the instructions for not being specific enough about total volume of thermal compound to dispense. I know I did the 4-5 mm dot, but apparently, I stacked it way too high, resulting in overflow.
Well, that's it for tonight. I'm need to obtain some isopropyl rubbing alcohol and kim wipes to clean the surfaces. Gonna give it another shot tomorrow night.

Less is more. At least it wasn't something catastrophic!

scogoth

TheEastonator said:
My CPU idles at about 43C - is that too hot? Reading the last few posts has made me think maybe I messed up with the heatsink and thermal paste.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. The sandy bridge processors are really cool at idle so if they are 40 then somethings not right. I'm running a i7-930 that idles around 40 but under load doesn't go above 58.

scogoth

Stantron said:
Temps didn't rise hot enough to damage anything, did it? Do I need to be worried about anything?

No the CPU will shut down before it gets too hot, unless you're using absurd voltages its really hard to kill a CPU. I was referring to something else on your build that could have gone wrong, like doa parts or spilling beer on your motherboard (I've seen that happen).

Stantron

scogoth said:
No the CPU will shut down before it gets too hot, unless you're using absurd voltages its really hard to kill a CPU. I was referring to something else on your build that could have gone wrong, like doa parts or spilling beer on your motherboard (I've seen that happen).
OK, good to know. Seems I got lucky in some respects. And I haven't tweaked voltages yet. I want to establish a good baseline before I start to do that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
When are the next Intels hitting? Fall?

I have parts of my new PC now but I'm not in a hurry to get it put together. I can wait for better components and what not.

Kadey said:
When are the next Intels hitting? Fall?

I have parts of my new PC now but I'm not in a hurry to get it put together. I can wait for better components and what not.
If you have parts now then go SandyBridge now. Your current parts are only going to get older/cheaper, it isn't worth it to wait for another CPU cycle. The SandyBridge chips are still pretty new.

mAcOdIn

mike23 said:
FreeNAS was easy enough to set up. I just had to use PHDiskWrite to write the embedded version onto a flash drive and set it to highest boot priority in the bios.
( http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1944 )

The only pain was setting up the connection on my desktop because I'm just using a direct gigabit connection between the two. What I ended up doing was telling windows to share my wireless connection with the ethernet and that set up the connection correctly on the lan so that FreeNAS could get an IP.

The documentation is a little weak, but even without it, it isn't too bad.

I suggest playing with it in VMware or something. Give yourself 4-5 drives and play with the formatting and stuff.

You don't really use the command line besides the first few minutes. It has a webgui that has everything you need to do. The only reason you need it the first time is to get it to connect to your network and that's usually as simple as hitting 2 enter enter enter, heh.
Thanks for this.

The VMware was actually a great idea that I totally didn't even think of, when I get my next two drives I will set up an array with FreeNAS in VMware, that way I can pull a drive and rebuild and see how all that goes and see if I like it or if I want to buy a premade NAS instead, I didn't even fucking think of that option. That was my main concern and I didn't want to basically spend money to build the system just to hate it but man, virtualization's a freaking lifesaver. So long as I keep the hardware as stuff on their compatibility list I shouldn't need to worry about that end and I can play with the software in VM, I feel like a retard for not even thinking about it.

Do I need to install Windows 7 on my Regular hard drive first or can I just install it on my ssd? I ask because I'm booting into my BIOS and my computer doesn't recognize the SSD.

Mohonky

Recent upgrade of sorts.

Was:

Intel Core i7 920
6gb DDR3
512mb 8800GT
450watt Power Supply
Crap case

Now:

Intel Core i7920
6gbDDR3
1280mb GTX570
800watt PSU
Thermaltake Armour+ MX

Extremely happy with the performance but I wish more PC games had Live Achievements. I don't put any real effort into Steam Achievements, only the ones I have on my Xbox360 seeing as it's something I've worked with from day 1.

Sarcasm

Another annoying thing about W7. I tried every google answer (which mainly was the same thing + MS stuff).

So I simply can't join? W7 pro btw.

I can't join the homegroup.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mohonky said:
Recent upgrade of sorts.

Was:

Intel Core i7 920
6gb DDR3
512mb 8800GT
450watt Power Supply
Crap case

Now:

Intel Core i7920
6gbDDR3
1280mb GTX570
800watt PSU
Thermaltake Armour+ MX

Extremely happy with the performance but I wish more PC games had Live Achievements. I don't put any real effort into Steam Achievements, only the ones I have on my Xbox360 seeing as it's something I've worked with from day 1.

Don't worry, you'll be a real PC gamer yet!
;)

Cat in the Hat said:
Do I need to install Windows 7 on my Regular hard drive first or can I just install it on my ssd? I ask because I'm booting into my BIOS and my computer doesn't recognize the SSD.
Anyone? I'm just sitting here mean mugging this damn machine.

mike23

Cat in the Hat said:

There's no reason a SSD specifically wouldn't work in a machine. You might have a bad sata port, bad cables, no power, bad drive, who knows. I'd suggest unplugging the HD you have and using the same sata and power cables/ports to plug the SSD in.

edit: I'm assuming it's a SATA SSD, if it's one of those PCI-e drives, you might have some mobo compatibility issues.

And no, you don't need to install Windows on the hdd first.

mike23 said:
There's no reason a SSD specifically wouldn't work in a machine. You might have a bad sata port, bad cables, no power, bad drive, who knows. I'd suggest unplugging the HD you have and using the same sata and power cables/ports to plug the SSD in.

edit: I'm assuming it's a SATA SSD, if it's one of those PCI-e drives, you might have some mobo compatibility issues.

And no, you don't need to install Windows on the hdd first.
I have the Intel 80G ssd and the asus pro MB. So I was able to find it in my BIOS in advanced settings under boot in the boot override section. So I can boot it through there but would have to go into the BIOS every time I restart the computer. How do you permanently change the SSD as the number 1 option? In boot options the SSD isn't even a choice.

thank you for the reply btw

mAcOdIn

Cat in the Hat said:
What about your computer doesn't recognize it? Is it missing from your BIOS POST screen as the PC boots up or are you saying that as you try and install Windows that the Windows installer does not see it and offer it as a possible drive to install to?

I took a very long route getting my RAID drivers installed with Windows 7, I first set the extra 2 SATA ports into IDE compatibility in the BIOS and moved the Windows drive there so it would boot, then after I got a good boot I went back into the BIOS and set the other SATA ports 1-4 as RAID and let the computer go back into Windows, this time Windows wanted the driver which I installed from AMD's website, then I rebooted and made sure it took the driver which it did, turned the PC off, moved the Windows drive off of the last two SATA ports as I want those for my optical drives and put everything on the SATA ports I wanted, went into the BIOS and changed 1-4 to RAID and booted back into Windows which now worked. It was an annoying process. I tried to just do a repair install first without moving shit around but for some reason at the start where it asks if I want to load any drivers whenever I pointed the installer to my RAID driver it wouldn't take it so I had to do it this way. I've read on some forums that the newer AMD drivers for some reason aren't liked on a fresh install and that if you want to install Windows 7 fresh you should use the usually older one's from your motherboard vendor instead of the latest from AMDs website which you can then upgrade to once properly up and running.
Cat in the Hat said:
I have the Intel 80G ssd and the asus pro MB. So I was able to find it in my BIOS in advanced settings under boot in the boot override section. So I can boot it through there but would have to go into the BIOS every time I restart the computer. How do you permanently change the SSD as the number 1 option? In boot options the SSD isn't even a choice.

Ah....

My BIOS has two options, one is the boot order, which will list the current boot HD, floppy, cd, USB, and then in another screen has an option called HDD Order which allows me to tell it in what order which HDD to boot from, and whatever I make the first drive in that option is the drive that will be listed in the normal boot options menu. It was a stupid UI choice I thought.

mike23

Cat in the Hat said:

I'm not sure. There should be a place to manage hard drive boot priorities. I feel like you shouldn't have to do any of that though. Have you tried booting the Windows installer and just installing it to the SSD? I suggest unplugging all your other hard drives too while you install Windows so you don't choose the wrong one and it doesn't mess with the other drives.

So I installed everything to the SSD and installed all the drivers for the MB, did the reboot. NOW it recognizes the SSD in boot priority but now it won't recognize the HDD. I'm on a shitty seesaw right now.

Thank you for the help again guys.

Edit: wait nope I the comp rebooted again and I'm back in the same boat. This is all no doubt my stupidity but I'm lost right now.

mAcOdIn

Cat in the Hat said:
So I installed everything to the SSD and installed all the drivers for the MB, did the reboot. NOW it recognizes the SSD in boot priority but now it won't recognize the HDD. I'm on a shitty seesaw right now.

Thank you for the help again guys.

Edit: wait nope I the comp rebooted again and I'm back in the same boat. This is all no doubt my stupidity but I'm lost right now.
Does both the SSD and the HD have a Windows installation on it? That might be mucking things up.

mAcOdIn said:
Does both the SSD and the HD have a Windows installation on it? That might be mucking things up.
No just the SSD. \Read what you said the first time again and figured it out. Had to change it the Hard drive boot order THEN SAVE!!! and reboot.

mAcOdIn

Cat in the Hat said:
No just the SSD. \Read what you said the first time again and figured it out. Had to change it the Hard drive boot order THEN SAVE!!! and reboot.
Ah cool, it really drives me nuts there are two different screens you have to go through, they should just list everything in boot order and be done with it as opposed to make you order your hard drives in one menu and then everything else in another, it's silly.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hello!

I'm building a new PC, i will use for games and also i have many VM's running.

pc_tentative2.png

What do you think?

The prizes are in €

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you are more interested in running VM's ou might want to wait a month and see Bulldozer's performance and pricing for their 6 and 8 cores.

Only thing I would swap is the SSD to an Intel 320

Gromph

Staff Member
Hazaro said:
If you are more interested in running VM's ou might want to wait a month and see Bulldozer's performance and pricing for their 6 and 8 cores.

Only thing I would swap is the SSD to an Intel 320

I'm more interested in games, the VM's are my DMZ and a few VM's to test.

I will try that with the intel, thanks :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gromph said:
I'm more interested in games, the VM's are my DMZ and a few VM's to test.

I will try that with the intel, thanks :)
Actually since you have an H70 vs air... I'd actually go air cooler. The H70 doesn't cool much better than air and it is one less thing to worry about imo. Scythe Kama fans pair well with any good air cooler.
Corsair 850W as well if it is near the price of the CM 800W.

I'm sure you will be pleased with the rig regardless, just minor stuff.

Gromph

Staff Member
Hazaro said:
Actually since you have an H70 vs air... I'd actually go air cooler. The H70 doesn't cool much better than air and it is one less thing to worry about imo. Scythe Kama fans pair well with any good air cooler.
Corsair 850W as well if it is near the price of the CM 800W.

I'm sure you will be pleased with the rig regardless, just minor stuff.

That was a great head-cache for me.

So help me out with this:

Noctua D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow for CPU cooler?

I will swap the 800 for an 850 too, i¡m planing to do SLI in the future.

Should i wait for Z86 motherboards?

Also, is a good 3D monitor? :)

My Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme Heatsink Rev. C CPU cooler would still be compatible with any AM3 CPU right? I have it on my Phenom II X4, so if I got the Phenom II X6 it would be fine?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
pseudocaesar said:
My Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme Heatsink Rev. C CPU cooler would still be compatible with any AM3 CPU right? I have it on my Phenom II X4, so if I got the Phenom II X6 it would be fine?
Yup, it's the motherboard socket (spacing and mount) that matters.
I'm using my TRUE 120 with my 2500K
Gromph said:
That was a great head-cache for me.

So help me out with this:

Noctua D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow for CPU cooler?

I will swap the 800 for an 850 too, i¡m planing to do SLI in the future.

Should i wait for Z86 motherboards?

Also, is a good 3D monitor? :)
Pick which cooler you think looks nicer.
No need for Z86.
No idea on 3D, sorry.

Gromph

Staff Member
Hazaro said:
Yup, it's the motherboard socket (spacing and mount) that matters.
I'm using my TRUE 120 with my 2500K

Pick which cooler you think looks nicer.
No need for Z86.
No idea on 3D, sorry.

Mmm

The Noctua for example is compatible with the RAM? i heard i need low profile ram so it dont hit the fan

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gromph said:
Mmm

The Noctua for example is compatible with the RAM? i heard i need low profile ram so it dont hit the fan
Normal sized RAM should be fine. The G.Skill Snipers are the new set that are standard size.*
*These: http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/p...item=CE00159700010060&ATTMemory Desktop Memor
Not these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417

Those might fit, but you'd have to check. The clearance is pretty slim.
Looks like you have 44mm to work with.

Some links:
http://noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#13
If you are feeling creative: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1770692&postcount=39

ZmF2u.jpg

TheEastonator said:

That is perfectly fine, I just completed a new build with a X4 955 with a stock fan and my temps are ranging from 40C to 50C, bearing in mind where I live is having some unusually hot weather for April it isn't too bad at all. The X4 processors just seem to run at high temps.

anonnumber6 said:
That is perfectly fine, I just completed a new build with a X4 955 with a stock fan and my temps are ranging from 40C to 50C, bearing in mind where I live is having some unusually hot weather for April it isn't too bad at all. The X4 processors just seem to run at high temps.

Depends on whether it clocks back when idle, right? Mine is at ~800mhz at 1.025v@27C using a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B.

Gromph

Staff Member
Hazaro said:
Normal sized RAM should be fine. The G.Skill Snipers are the new set that are standard size.*
*These: http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/p...item=CE00159700010060&ATTMemory Desktop Memor
Not these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417

Those might fit, but you'd have to check. The clearance is pretty slim.
Looks like you have 44mm to work with.

Some links:
http://noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#13
If you are feeling creative: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1770692&postcount=39

Other thing, is change the stock fans for Scythe Kama fans, or thats are to add to the case?

I have a 6 gb/s disc drive, SSD, and HDD. Which ones should I plug into my ASUS motherboard using the native ports, and which should I plug into the Marvell controller? (should I even plug into the Marvell controller considering I'll probably need drivers)

Edit: anyone recommend whether to insta the CM Hyper CPU cooler before or after mounting the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom