• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory_t_

InertiaXr said:
Is that Caviar Green your only HDD? Get a Spinpoint F3 1TB instead, I would not feel at all comfortable running everything off a single 2TB drive including my OS.

Also, even if overclocking a 650W PSU would be fine.

I have a 2TB external for media. Should I have 1 HDD for my OS and another one for games? I went with that one cause it was cheap.

Thanks for the tip on the PSU. I just went with the one from the OP without looking around. This one is much cheaper:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply

Any thoughts on the mobo? I don't know why but it worries me that it's so cheap.

scogoth

Cory_t_ said:
I have a 2TB external for media. Should I have 1 HDD for my OS and another one for games? I went with that one cause it was cheap.

Thanks for the tip on the PSU. I just went with the one from the OP without looking around. This one is much cheaper:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply

Any thoughts on the mobo? I don't know why but it worries me that it's so cheap.

The mobo is cheap because its using the 770 chipset from 2007. I'm not an expert on AMD motherboards but you might want to check out an 8 series motherboard instead.

Cory_t_

scogoth said:
The mobo is cheap because its using the 770 chipset from 2007. I'm not an expert on AMD motherboards but you might want to check out an 8 series motherboard instead.

Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H AMD880G mATX AM3 DDR3 1PCIE CrossFireX DVI HDMI GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Better? Or should I just go with the p8p67 pro from the OP? It's quite a bit more money.

EDIT: This is what I have after a couple suggestions. How's it look?

orderncix.png

ordernewegg.png

scogoth said:
Just noticed something, what make is your mobo? You might want to check if the second 16x PCIe slot supports 16x speeds and not 8x. Check your motherboard manual to see how the PCIe lane switching works.

That isn't my build that was pictured. I'm still ordering my parts. I was just showing what I want mine to look like. :p

scogoth

Cory_t_ said:

Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H AMD880G mATX AM3 DDR3 1PCIE CrossFireX DVI HDMI GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Better? Or should I just go with the p8p67 pro from the OP? It's quite a bit more money.

I have never made an AMD system so I'm not sure which is the best board for the money. The P8P67 is an intel P67 motherboard and you'd need an equally expensive sandy bridge CPU to go with it. Try looking up motherboards with the features you want in terms of connectivity and ports and then look for reviews to narrow it down. The MSI isn't necessarily bad you just asked why its so cheap, its cheap because its doesn't have a lot of features.

momolicious said:
How is the airflow and quality of the lian li lancool pc-k62? I know its made of plastic but is it cheap and rattley?

I love Lian Li cases, very well built cases. As for the PC-K62 it looks like a good case and all tool-less as well and has some good reviews.

Kalnos

Banned
Alligatorjandro said:
Anybody ever use the eVGA GeForce GTX 460?I bought one and wondered how it performs.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon X4 640 3.0
8gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

I have used a 1GB Gigabyte GTX 460, and it was great. I'm sure that the eVGA is just as nice.

Coldsnap

Anyone got a recommendation for a quiet floor fan that i can put next to my computer on the floor? My computer faces my door and the exhaust sorta just lingers once it's dumped out, my ceiling fan doesn't move it at all. Thinking about having a floor fan just push it out the door to let it dissipate in living room. Needs to be quiet though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
After finally getting my Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler on the processor after messing up the thermal paste twice, right when I was about to put the fan on I realize the heat sink might be on backward. The cpu fan right now is resting on the very top of the case. I have the antec 900 case, which has a case fan on top that might be blowing the opposite way than the cpu fan.
I see a lot of people have the fan facing their ram, but the one bridge blocks the heatsink from fitting.
Edit:
s2UKQ.jpg

Datwheezy said:
Building a gaming PC for my gf: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15990185

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: low end laptop
Budget: ~$600 with monitor
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: 1600x900
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: City Building games, simulation (sim city/sims3, etc), RPG's, Skyrim, Diablo 3
Are reusing any parts?: Already have a dvd burner, sata cables, and 2x1GB sticks of the ram that is in the wish list (so I will have a total of 4gb)
When will you build?: Hope to have it finished by end of may
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

After rebates I am currently sitting at $600. Any advice on any cheaper/better performance for same $$ that I may be missing?

Edit: Also, will 550w be enough for that processor/graphics card? It is the same combo as in the OP, and the OP has a 500w, so I figure it will be fine.
Do you live near a Micro Center?

Retail Locations
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

NIN90

So i got a GTX 460 earlier this year and when I put it in I noticed that there are 2 ports for the power plugs (my previous card only had one) . Since I was short on one power plug I plugged in the one available and ignored one port.
Is this bad? Does this decrease the performance of my GPU?
And how would I go about adding a another power plug? Do I need a whole new PSU?

BTW I been rocking this GPU for the past 3 months and I have not noticed anything in particular. No blue screens, no nothing.

ithorien

NIN90 said:
So i got a GTX 460 earlier this year and when I put it in I noticed that there are 2 ports for the power plugs (my previous card only had one) . Since I was short on one power plug I plugged in the one available and ignored one port.
Is this bad? Does this decrease the performance of my GPU?
And how would I go about adding a another power plug? Do I need a whole new PSU?

Bad bad bad. Your GPU requires a certain amount of power, and you're not providing it. It could lead to underperformance, artifacting, etc. You need either an adapter, or a new PSU.

Rahnter

Current rig:
1055T @3.8GHz
5850 @ 900/1250
750TX Corsair PSU
MSI 790XT
WD 1TB Black (main)
4GB DDR2 1066
23" 1080 monitor

Currently sitting on 8Gb (2x4) DDR3 1333, and I'll be replacing my mb when more AM3+ boards become available. Definitely want to add an SSD and possibly upgrading to a 6950 or two ($160ea with retail access deal) if my psu can handle it and if it is worth at my res.

Looking at spending $500 or so. $150 for mb, $125 for 64GB SSD, plus $160-$350 for gpu.

What does gaf think? Keep in mind I'll be selling some of the parts I replace

scogoth

Trojita said:
After finally getting my Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler on the processor after messing up the thermal paste twice, right when I was about to put the fan on I realize the heat sink might be on backward. The cpu fan right now is resting on the very top of the case. I have the antec 900 case, which has a case fan on top that might be blowing the opposite way than the cpu fan.
I see a lot of people have the fan facing their ram, but the one bridge blocks the heatsink from fitting.

The case fan belows draws air up and out of the case. If you want to mount the heatsink like that then the fan needs to be blowing up.

CrankyJay said:

Some good features on that case but damn is it ugly compared to the real Level 10
thermaltake_l10.jpg

Coldsnap

Does this make sense to anyone:

There is a loud clicking/hum noise that comes from my GTX only when I log into the MMO I play. The moment I logout it stops. It cant be coming from fan because I have it running at a constant speed with Afterburner, and my fans dont kick up or anything when I log on. It's so strange.... It's so loud i can hear it from under the desk.

scogoth

Coldsnap said:
So i located the clicking/hum noise on my computer. It's coming from my GTX 460 but not the fan... which is strange. I can tell it's not the fan because it doesn't increase loudness or speed of click when I increase or decrease the fan on the gpu. Im gonna re-install it, maybe it's bumping up against something but I might have to RMA it. It's super loud

Are you sure its the GPU nothing else can click other then the fan on a GPU. Are you sure its not your PSU?

Coldsnap said:
Does this make sense to anyone:

There is a loud clicking/hum noise that comes from my GTX only when I log into the MMO I play. The moment I logout it stops. It cant be coming from fan because I have it running at a constant speed with Afterburner, and my fans dont kick up or anything when I log on. It's so strange.... It's so loud i can hear it from under the desk.

Nice ninja edit. Still say check the PSU because a faulty PSU can make noise when the power draw is greater under gaming.

CrankyJay

Banned
scogoth said:
The case fan belows draws air up and out of the case. If you want to mount the heatsink like that then the fan needs to be blowing up.

Some good features on that case but damn is it ugly compared to the real Level 10
thermaltake_l10.jpg

Updated my link...didn't realize I had a time thing on there to start at 84 seconds.

scogoth

CrankyJay said:
Updated my link...didn't realize I had a time thing on there to start at 84 seconds.

lol didn't watch the vid, I know the case. And don't be fooled BMW didn't design that case they designed the original Level 10, this is thermaltake's take on the original.

Coldsnap

I ninja edit my post, just noticed something with it; The hum / click stops instantly when i logoff from my mmo and starts when i log on.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
scogoth said:

So the fan needs to be below the heat sink blowing the air of the heatsink up? Will this not cause a problem if the air it is blowing up behind itself is the GPU's hot air?

Mike.83

I upgraded my PC not to long ago, thinking of upgrading my monitor now. Have had my eye on this one, which is on offer: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/224036

I don't know too much about monitors though, so any advice would be welcome. How does the one I've linked to seem? Is there anything I should get over it for around the same price?

I'll be upgrading from a 22" Monitor that is also a TV, with a resolution of 1680x1050, the resolution is the main reason for upgrading.

Thanks.

CrankyJay

Banned
scogoth said:
lol didn't watch the vid, I know the case. And don't be fooled BMW didn't design that case they designed the original Level 10, this is thermaltake's take on the original.

WTF the case you posted is $850! Why?!

Datwheezy said:
That's really unfortunate. Had a whole build together for you with their discounts, most of which are in-store only.

A quick look reveals nearly no PSU deals that fit your budget. This XFX 650W (more power than you need) may be worth a look. After rebate price is $9 more than your current choice's rebate price, but it's a better model.

Did you already have a 2x1GB kit, and where just looking to add a second set of 2x1GB? If not, you can find various 2x2GB kits for just a bit more than a single 2x1GB.

This AMD 870 Biostar board has USB 3.0 along with SATA 3 and costs the same as your MSI.

If you don't mind open box items, take a look at these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=am3_usb_3.0_sata_6-_-13-130-275R-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=am3_usb_3.0_sata_6-_-13-138-303R-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=am3_usb_3.0_sata_6-_-13-131-647R-_-Product

There are also better gaming case choices in that price range.

Ultimately, Bulldozer and the higher-end Fusion desktop CPUs will be released soon, so you may want to wait. Even if you don't find one of the newer chips that falls within your budget, you should be able to pick up a low priced Athlon, and at least a low-priced 800 or 900-series board.

Coldsnap

Yea, testing with Furmark I can make it louder and softer by increasing GPU loads. Well looks like I'm in the gpu market again....

Coldsnap said:
Yea, testing with Furmark I can make it louder and softer by increasing GPU loads. Well looks like I'm in the gpu market again....

I suggest GeForce GTX 560 Ti. If you can swing it, a 570 would be even better. If your motherboard supports SLI, then you don't need to break the bank too much right away since you can stick another identical card in there down the road for a performance boost when you need it.

The two best custom OEM coolers are Asus DirectCU II (3-slots required!) and MSI Twin Frozr II/III (2-slots, same as stock). Get a card with one of those things attached and you can forget about videocard noise and heat forever, even with heavy OCing.

Coldsnap

Thinking about getting a 560GTX now... I liked my 460GTX but game I play was taxing it a bit.

Looking at silent pc review they are saying the MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti are quiet. Hows the performance?

Coldsnap

Unknown Soldier said:
I suggest GeForce GTX 560 Ti. If you can swing it, a 570 would be even better. If your motherboard supports SLI, then you don't need to break the bank too much right away since you can stick another identical card in there down the road for a performance boost when you need it.

The two best custom OEM coolers are Asus DirectCU II (3-slots required!) and MSI Twin Frozr II/III (2-slots, same as stock). Get a card with one of those things attached and you can forget about videocard noise and heat forever, even with heavy OCing.

Thanks Kawaii, something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=MSI_Twin_Frozr_560_Ti-_-14-127-565-_-Product

Coldsnap said:
Thinking about getting a 560GTX now... I liked my 460GTX but game I play was taxing it a bit.

Looking at silent pc review they are saying the MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti are quiet. Hows the performance?

I don't think that upgrade is worth it for the price. You can overclock your 460 to about the same performance given by a reference 560. You should wait for the next generation of cards.

Coldsnap

Lasthope106 said:
I don't think that upgrade is worth it for the price. You can overclock your 460 to about the same performance given by a reference 560. You should wait for the next generation of cards.

I don't do any overclocking though. I just like plugging stuff in and it worked good enough; also I'm trying to build a silent / cool PC so i run my fans super low.

(._.)

Banned
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my current PC.
R5A4J.png

5AeXw.png

This is what I am currently have in it. I forgot the program you can run that will give a brand name for some of the parts without them in the above pics. I built my computer around two years ago and have been able to max everything. I want to put some stronger parts in to improve performance and ensure I can max games for the next two years. One game I really want to max is The Witcher 2 when it comes out.

Am I doing it right? Not really a parts guy so I don't know whats the very best to buy atm. Should I upgrade my GPU, RAM, and CPU?

Another question, I just want to confirm that everything from the $600 build is compatible with the case I am going with which is the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance ATX Mid-Tower Case.

Keikaku

Hey everyone! I had a quick question regarding selecting a SSD and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I want to install Windows 7 on my comp and I would like to take this opportunity and put in a SSD as my boot drive. The only problem is that I'm not sure what SDD my motherboard can support.

This is my motherboard.
This is the SSD I want to get.

Will it work?

EDIT: I looked at the specs and I think it should work. Can anyone more knowledgeable with the hardware side confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom